Sport mode - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-07-2012, 03:09 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Sport mode

So I've had my 13' v6 for about 3 months, I just recently started to use the Sport mode and I am loving it, much faster acceleration, and cooler engine noises. So, could I just leave it in S mode all the time? I want to but I have a feeling that if that was the case, there wouldn't be a basic Drive, so what is the disadvantage to leaving it in S mode all the time? If there is no disadvantage, then I plan on using S mode pretty much 24/7 lol
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 03:42 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
So I've had my 13' v6 for about 3 months, I just recently started to use the Sport mode and I am loving it, much faster acceleration, and cooler engine noises. So, could I just leave it in S mode all the time? I want to but I have a feeling that if that was the case, there wouldn't be a basic Drive, so what is the disadvantage to leaving it in S mode all the time? If there is no disadvantage, then I plan on using S mode pretty much 24/7 lol
you will just get worse mpg. wont hurt the car at all though.
Old 11-07-2012, 07:12 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I maybe wrong but all the sport mode does is change the steering makes it more stiff . At least the 2012 and back ..
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
It makes steering a little more stiff and lets you rev to a higher RPM before it will shift (auto). It will also let you rev closer to red line at WOT than if you were just in drive.... Like others have said, it wont hurt your car at all, just lower your MPG a little. I drive mine in "S" mode all the time, I just wait for the coolant temp to get up to normal operating temp then turn it on. Always a good Idea to let your car warm up with gentle driving before doing any kind of more "spirited" driving.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:06 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
I maybe wrong but all the sport mode does is change the steering makes it more stiff . At least the 2012 and back ..
2013 Sport Mode is S in the tranny. Ive come to the conclusion that our 2012 Grade Assist does exactly the same thing except ours locks out 5th snd 13 S mode does not. I use Grade assist around town and take it off at hiway speeds 50+
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Sport Mode on the steering wheel just adjusts the electronic power steering to make it mor firm and doesnt hurt gas milage at all.. The Sport Mode on the auto shifter is different and adds performance as others have stated above. 2 different features that have the same name.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:32 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
Sport Mode on the steering wheel just adjusts the electronic power steering to make it mor firm and doesnt hurt gas milage at all.. The Sport Mode on the auto shifter is different and adds performance as others have stated above. 2 different features that have the same name.
Ok that's what I thought . So my manual trans. Has nothing like that only the steering wheel stiffness ? This is the only difference I've seen.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:31 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok that's what I thought . So my manual trans. Has nothing like that only the steering wheel stiffness ? This is the only difference I've seen.
Yes. Or if you have the performance package you can double tap traction control with brake on and it will turn on "Advaned Trac Sport Mode". The GT has this option also, standard.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
Yes. Or if you have the performance package you can double tap traction control with brake on and it will turn on "Advaned Trac Sport Mode". The GT has this option also, standard.
Actually, All the models have that feature. U need to hit the button once and then hold it for 5 seconds and it will turn the advancetrac completely off.
Old 11-08-2012, 10:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Cool . Thanks for the info .
Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
Actually, All the models have that feature. U need to hit the button once and then hold it for 5 seconds and it will turn the advancetrac completely off.
what does the advance trac do? is it more aggressive than the Sport mode?
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d

No I am talking about sport mode traction control setting. Not all models have that. Only the performance package V6 and GTs. Google "advance trac sport mode".

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Here is a link: http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forum...port-mode.html
Old 11-08-2012, 01:26 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I have the 2011. It has no sport mode and it is a premium loaded. Unless I'm missing something
Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

I have the 2011. It has no sport mode and it is a premium loaded. Unless I'm missing something
Sport mode in ours is "grade assist" the little button on the left of the shifter
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
No I am talking about sport mode traction control setting. Not all models have that. Only the performance package V6 and GTs. Google "advance trac sport mode".

---------- Post added at 11:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:43 AM ----------

Here is a link: performance package sport mode - Ford Mustang Forums
ahhh. gotcha. lol. all this crap labeled the same thing.. lol. what was ford thinking. lol

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg View Post
what does the advance trac do? is it more aggressive than the Sport mode?
advance trac is to there to stop the rear wheels from spinning in the rain, snow, on gravel etc. or when you launch your car hard. it basically cuts spark to the motor not allowing power to be excessive. honestly i turn it off all the time.
Old 11-08-2012, 08:38 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Someone mentioned Sport Mode being the setting for steering feel, and that it lowers mpg a bit. I know it is not sport Mode. But just the sport setting on the wheel, but this actually helps mpg. It is very slight, but it uses less power, and saves the engine work. Very minute, but Ford has gone as far to note it in their mpg comments and notes, which is how I learned about it.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:36 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP

Sport mode in ours is "grade assist" the little button on the left of the shifter
I knew that. I was wondering about the steering. I hate how it feels like it was dipped in mashed potatoes and all gushy
Old 11-08-2012, 11:14 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
Someone mentioned Sport Mode being the setting for steering feel, and that it lowers mpg a bit. I know it is not sport Mode. But just the sport setting on the wheel, but this actually helps mpg. It is very slight, but it uses less power, and saves the engine work. Very minute, but Ford has gone as far to note it in their mpg comments and notes, which is how I learned about it.
No, I'm not talking about sport mode steering feel, all that does is make it a bit harder to turn the wheel, that can be easily adjusted. I'm talking about the sport shift mode, which apparently makes it to where it doesn't shift gears until it revs a bit higher.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:07 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
ahhh. gotcha. lol. all this crap labeled the same thing.. lol. what was ford thinking. lol

---------- Post added at 04:07 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:04 PM ----------

advance trac is to there to stop the rear wheels from spinning in the rain, snow, on gravel etc. or when you launch your car hard. it basically cuts spark to the motor not allowing power to be excessive. honestly i turn it off all the time.
advanced tracTION lol. i thought it might have been advanced tracK. lol
does it really hard disconnect like that? hmm...i guess that's ok. yeah i had to use it a few days ago in the snow. feeling the only downside to this car..
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 12:27 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 11-09-2012, 04:21 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post
No, I'm not talking about sport mode steering feel, all that does is make it a bit harder to turn the wheel, that can be easily adjusted. I'm talking about the sport shift mode, which apparently makes it to where it doesn't shift gears until it revs a bit higher.
This would be "S" or sport mode on a 2013 OR it would be the tiny button on the left of your automatic trans shifter on a 2012 or earlier 3.7L
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 01:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx

This would be "S" or sport mode on a 2013 OR it would be the tiny button on the left of your automatic trans shifter on a 2012 or earlier 3.7L
+1000
Old 11-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

There is a simpler way to do this, it's called get a standard. Cheaper, too.

Old 11-10-2012, 11:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha yes.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:54 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, but I don't like standards. Just my personal opinion.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:57 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz

Yeah, but I don't like standards. Just my personal opinion.
Not picking on you, just my view...people make fun cause we have 6s, everybody has their view, no offense friend.

Old 11-10-2012, 03:14 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Not picking on you, just my view...people make fun cause we have 6s, everybody has their view, no offense friend.
Well, they shouldn't make fun of us because we have 6's. Why? Well, to take my car to a GT, it would cost me about 10k more. I can put about 5k in mods into my 6, and get more power then a stock GT. So really its better to get a 6 and upgrade it, more cost effective too.
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

People make fun of others to make themselve feel better about something that is lacking in their own mind. At the end of the day they just feel worse and the making fun of begins again.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:12 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012

People make fun of others to make themselve feel better about something that is lacking in their own mind. At the end of the day they just feel worse and the making fun of begins again.
Doesn't bug me, and I agree, modding would even make the v6 MORE efficient. But, if we get on that, we will get this thread closed lol. I just wanted you to know I wasn't down talking you, just saying that part.

Old 11-10-2012, 06:44 PM   #30
Registered Member

Region: New Jersey
Ford’s AdvanceTrac stability control (which includes traction control) is standard on all 2011 Mustangs, and GT models come with a Sport mode that adjusts how quickly and how much the stability control and traction control intervene. Ford says this provides a “spirited driving experience.” The Sport mode is available on V-6 Mustangs with the V-6 Performance Package.

A center console switch allows three adjustments: traction control can be turned off; stability control can be placed in a Sport setting that allows more rear-end sliding before it activates; or both traction control and stability control can be turned off.

AdvanceTrac monitors vehicle speed, throttle position, steering angle and side-to-side skidding and will reduce engine power and apply brakes individually as needed to maintain control. In Sport mode, the stability control is more lenient before it kicks in, allowing skilled drivers to driver faster through turns by letting the tail slide slightly toward the outside.

Traction control reduces power and applies the rear brakes when the rear wheels lose traction. Turning off traction control will help drag racers launch faster using controlled wheel spin; leaving it on would slow their start because traction control reduces power to the rear wheels. Turning off traction control also can help free a car that’s stuck in snow.

At the track I am able to consistently get 1.9 60 foots on the stock street tires
DeepImpactPony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 08:09 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony
Ford’s AdvanceTrac stability control (which includes traction control) is standard on all 2011 Mustangs, and GT models come with a Sport mode that adjusts how quickly and how much the stability control and traction control intervene. Ford says this provides a “spirited driving experience.” The Sport mode is available on V-6 Mustangs with the V-6 Performance Package.

A center console switch allows three adjustments: traction control can be turned off; stability control can be placed in a Sport setting that allows more rear-end sliding before it activates; or both traction control and stability control can be turned off.

AdvanceTrac monitors vehicle speed, throttle position, steering angle and side-to-side skidding and will reduce engine power and apply brakes individually as needed to maintain control. In Sport mode, the stability control is more lenient before it kicks in, allowing skilled drivers to driver faster through turns by letting the tail slide slightly toward the outside.

Traction control reduces power and applies the rear brakes when the rear wheels lose traction. Turning off traction control will help drag racers launch faster using controlled wheel spin; leaving it on would slow their start because traction control reduces power to the rear wheels. Turning off traction control also can help free a car that’s stuck in snow.

At the track I am able to consistently get 1.9 60 foots on the stock street tires
Well said. Very informative.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepImpactPony View Post

Ok, so I have a 13' V6 with Performance Package, how do I adjust all of this?
Old 11-10-2012, 08:44 PM   #33
Registered Member

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 11-10-2012, 09:08 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

is there a way to completely disable it? maybe with a tuner? so i dont have to disable it everytime when i turn on the car. btw for v6 thats dosnt have the 4.2 lcd screen between gauges how do you select selectable electronic power assist steering or advancetrac?
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #35
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
is there a way to completely disable it? maybe with a tuner?
As far as I know, I dont believe anyone would risk overwriting Fords safety systems. Why would you want to completely disable? Not very hard to push the button.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang