GT mufflers on V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-11-2012, 08:53 PM   #1

Region: Nevada
GT mufflers on V6

Can you mount OEM GT mufflers on V6?
desotelljl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:05 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by desotelljl2
Can you mount OEM GT mufflers on V6?
Yea its the same fitment . Actually mine came from the factory with it. Must have been a mistake or something lol
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13

Yea its the same fitment . Actually mine came from the factory with it. Must have been a mistake or something lol
Some come with GT suspension, wheels, mufflers, etc... It's all about what they ordered for that mustang. Mine came with the GT suspension.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2012, 09:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

Some come with GT suspension, wheels, mufflers, etc... It's all about what they ordered for that mustang. Mine came with the GT suspension.
I was trying to figure tht out cus i was looking over a few things in mine and looks like i have bigger sway bars,the muffler ,my suspension seems stiffer than my friends .
Old 11-11-2012, 10:01 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I was trying to figure tht out cus i was looking over a few things in mine and looks like i have bigger sway bars,the muffler ,my suspension seems stiffer than my friends .
Yea it's prolly that ur car was ordered with maybe a GT suspension and mufflers, u can easily find out by going to ur local dealer, giving them your vin number and asking what were the specs and packages that were included with your car
Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea it's prolly that ur car was ordered with maybe a GT suspension and mufflers, u can easily find out by going to ur local dealer, giving them your vin number and asking what were the specs and packages that were included with your car
I might do that.. Its club of America edition
Old 11-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I might do that.. Its club of America edition
Yea I realized my car drove stiffer and better than a friends mustang and went to ask ford why so they looked up my vin and pulled up the packages and add-ons for my car and sure enough I had the GT suspension even though I upgraded everything myself so it was useless lol just sold everything to my friend with the v6 suspension.
Old 11-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Mine has the performance pack suspension and I didn't even pay extra for it
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 10:18 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea I realized my car drove stiffer and better than a friends mustang and went to ask ford why so they looked up my vin and pulled up the packages and add-ons for my car and sure enough I had the GT suspension even though I upgraded everything myself so it was useless lol just sold everything to my friend with the v6 suspension.
I think i might have the same cus my car rides stronger and handles better
Old 11-12-2012, 07:39 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100
Mine has the performance pack suspension and I didn't even pay extra for it
Lol are you sure buddy haha
Old 11-13-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You may want to double check those GT mufflers. The 2011 and 2012's V6 mufflers and GT mufflers have different size openings; the part that connects the muffler to the pipes are different sizes. The hangers are all coorect, but you may not be able to simply "clamp" the GT's to the V6's pipes.

I installed a set of GT500 mufflers to my 2011 V6. The muffler shop simply cut off the tubes from my V6, flared the ends that connect to the GT500's muffler (after cutting those off), and then they were an easy bolt on. Here's the pics:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler_weld.JPG
Views:	534
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	75814   Click image for larger version

Name:	back_shot.JPG
Views:	474
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	75815  

bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:47 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
You may want to double check those GT mufflers. The 2011 and 2012's V6 mufflers and GT mufflers have different size openings; the part that connects the muffler to the pipes are different sizes. The hangers are all coorect, but you may not be able to simply "clamp" the GT's to the V6's pipes.

I installed a set of GT500 mufflers to my 2011 V6. The muffler shop simply cut off the tubes from my V6, flared the ends that connect to the GT500's muffler (after cutting those off), and then they were an easy bolt on. Here's the pics:
That's cus the gt500 muffler is for a wider fitment . In the 2013 their about the same size gt or v6
Old 11-13-2012, 03:59 PM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post
That's cus the gt500 muffler is for a wider fitment . In the 2013 their about the same size gt or v6
I'd be sure the GT mufflers you buy off of a V8 will fit your V6 tubing. The 2011's are something like 2 1/4 opening verses the V8's 2 1/2. Not sure on the exact size, but the "ball" ended bevel does not clamp tight when using the V8's to V6, at least on the early 2011/2012 models. It would be disapointing for someone to buy GT mufflers (especially aftermarket expensive ones) and find out they require som tube modification. I knew this when I bought the GT500's. They have an awsome sound on the V6's.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:52 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Correct. The inlet on the v6 is smaller than the GT and GT500. U need to have the muffler inlet pipes cut and welded to match or as some have done gone with an over the axle pipe that widens to fit all the current GT and GT500 mufflers from 05-10 as they have a different fitting too.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 08:22 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d
Correct. The inlet on the v6 is smaller than the GT and GT500. U need to have the muffler inlet pipes cut and welded to match or as some have done gone with an over the axle pipe that widens to fit all the current GT and GT500 mufflers from 05-10 as they have a different fitting too.
That would be the case if the x pipe and back pipes were the v6. But mine seems to be all gt piping because it all fits perfect. Now as to why they do it its a mystery to me. All i know as far as "my" 2013 v6 it came with exact fitment of a gt . I can't speak for others
Old 11-14-2012, 06:17 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Maybe this was new for 2013 for Ford to save a buck or two during assembly.

Any other 2013 folks that have changed axle backs? It's a huge advantage if this is the case, as the V8 axle backs are much cheaper than the V6 stuff that's available.

And to those that have the earlier V6's, you can get a muffler shop to easily modify the v8/GT axle backs for cheap to fit your V6 if you get a good deal on a set for GT/V8's. Something to keep in mind.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:54 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I'm watching out for a good deal myself! Great thread.
Old 11-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by audioAl
I'm watching out for a good deal myself! Great thread.
I'm trying to sell mine off my GT. I also have the mid and OTA pipes. The nice thing if you had the OTA pipes for in the future would be that you could always change your mufflers with any aftermarket GT mufflers with no fab. PM me if interested.
DWC_SmOziLLa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 02:47 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

The 13 is so generalized and to me, I love that. No more having to upgrade your stuff just to get GT or better parts. I'd like to hear 500's on a v6
Old 11-14-2012, 04:13 PM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
The 13 is so generalized and to me, I love that. No more having to upgrade your stuff just to get GT or better parts. I'd like to hear 500's on a v6
Here's a sound clip:

These are never as good as "live", but I can say they really do sound great at idle, quiet at cruising, and great (not obnoxious) when you hit the gas...

Here's a back shot of my Mustang with them installed. They fill out the bumper indents nice:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	back_shot.JPG
Views:	355
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	76043  
Old 11-14-2012, 07:29 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would love to have the new black tip rtr gt axelbacks...
Insane4Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 07:31 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane4Mustang
I would love to have the new black tip rtr gt axelbacks...
Buy them lol
Old 11-14-2012, 09:40 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:

Buy them lol
Yeaa I'm going back and forth in my mind between that and the borla atak
Insane4Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 11:43 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane4Mustang

Yeaa I'm going back and forth in my mind between that and the borla atak
Borla is over rated lol
Old 11-15-2012, 06:45 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

To some they might be over rated but to those who have done the research know their worth every penny.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:11 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
To some they might be over rated but to those who have done the research know their worth every penny.
Not really well IMO they aren't, my friend bought them and loves them but I personally prefer my Roush ones. But when it comes to exhausts it's all the drivers preference not just the name brand.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:

Buy them lol
Aren't they for v8 piping though? They look cool but if it were me I would but high temp black paint on your tips. They are special magnaflows.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

Quote:

Here's a sound clip:

These are never as good as "live", but I can say they really do sound great at idle, quiet at cruising, and great (not obnoxious) when you hit the gas...

Here's a back shot of my Mustang with them installed. They fill out the bumper indents nice:
They are for a gt500 aren't they? I've seen them on Shelby's and they fill up the entire outlets. Them again they have to in order to let all that exhaust out
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 AM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Aren't they for v8 piping though? They look cool but if it were me I would but high temp black paint on your tips. They are special magnaflows.

---------- Post added at 12:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:54 PM ----------

They are for a gt500 aren't they? I've seen them on Shelby's and they fill up the entire outlets. Them again they have to in order to let all that exhaust out
Yep, they came off of a GT500. They fit perfect on the V6 as long as you weld your V6 back pipe off of your old V6 mufflers onto these (GT500's). They fill out the lower valance too. And the sound....great, and the price....also great!
Old 11-16-2012, 03:03 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Here's a sound clip:

I can't view the clip
Old 11-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
I can't view the clip
neither can i think... he might not have copied it correctly =/
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 06:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:

NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:39 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Not really well IMO they aren't, my friend bought them and loves them but I personally prefer my Roush ones. But when it comes to exhausts it's all the drivers preference not just the name brand.
I agree.. Its all up to the driver. I've heard yours and don't get me wrong they sound nice but i love the growl i get from mine.. What did your friend get?? I have the ATAKS
Old 11-19-2012, 08:02 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I agree.. Its all up to the driver. I've heard yours and don't get me wrong they sound nice but i love the growl i get from mine.. What did your friend get?? I have the ATAKS
Yea catback ataks
Old 11-19-2012, 08:15 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea catback ataks
That's why.. I have axle backs.. Personally i don't like any v6 with full or cat back exhaust . Its too loud for a v6 imo..
Old 11-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

But mine aren't just Axlebacks I have full length headers and xpipe, my car is way louder and more aggressive sounding then my friends Borla ataks!

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:15 PM ----------

Quote:

But mine aren't just Axlebacks I have full length headers and xpipe, my car is way louder and more aggressive sounding then my friends Borla ataks!
http://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=plcp&v=Yl-uAFfRDhI

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang