2013 V6 top speed limited? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-12-2012, 07:08 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

mrkrabz is unknown around these parts
2013 V6 top speed limited?

I read that the top speed of the 13' v6 is 113mph, and that it can do more but Ford has it governed, is this true? WHY FORD WHY?

Old 11-12-2012, 07:19 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

NicholasP is unknown around these parts
The drive shaft will blow up as well as the tires

Old 11-12-2012, 07:33 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

BlackedStang is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
The drive shaft will blow up as well as the tires
The driveshaft part is true. Only the stock 17" tires would have problems above that speed. Others would be fine. Get a aluminum driveshaft+tune and I am sure you could get 140+.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:36 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

Charlie_santos is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang

The driveshaft part is true. Only the stock 17" tires would have problems above that speed. Others would be fine. Get a aluminum driveshaft+tune and I am sure you could get 140+.
Drive shaft fails at 136mph. The stock limit on my car was 120 I raised it to 125.
Old 11-12-2012, 07:43 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

winkawak is unknown around these parts
my advice is get an tuner to remove the speed governor and get an aluminum driveshaft from AM. you should be good to go on a track of course lol
Old 11-12-2012, 07:50 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak
my advice is get an tuner to remove the speed governor and get an aluminum driveshaft from AM. you should be good to go on a track of course lol
Yea once u get the drive shaft you can remove the speed limiter entirely
Old 11-13-2012, 12:02 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

So I found a aluminum drive shaft on AM for about $600, getting that would fix the speed issues? (I have v6 performance pack) What do you think my new top speed would be? It also states that the drive shaft would improve acceleration, which is a plus.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:07 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz
So I found a aluminum drive shaft on AM for about $600, getting that would fix the speed issues? (I have v6 performance pack) What do you think my new top speed would be? It also states that the drive shaft would improve acceleration, which is a plus.
Ur top speed will depend on any mods you've done. Prolly like 145 if you have my headers, xpipe, mufflers, CAI, tune possibly more
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

rebeltx is unknown around these parts
Even with the drive shaft you will still need a tune to get rid of the electronic governor...
Old 11-13-2012, 08:06 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

SpectorV is just getting started.
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
A. You really have no business ever going that fast on a public road

B. The tires are probably not rated to go above that
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
Old 11-13-2012, 08:42 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV

A. When did he say he would be doing this on a public road.

B. He has the performance package with upgraded tires that are good for 150+ MPH.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:04 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

deadsp0t is unknown around these parts
Quote:

B. He has the performance package with upgraded tires that are good for 150+ MPH.
Where else will you be going faster then the top speed limiter allows

I don't recall any new 6's breaking that on the strip..
Old 11-13-2012, 09:05 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Under your rules, there no point in any car that goes over 70mph. Is that correct?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post

Thank you, someone who understands.

Also, higher top speed is often accompanied with faster acceleration.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Thank you, someone who understands.

Also, higher top speed is accompanied with higher acceleration a lot of the time.
Understands what?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:13 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Understands what?
Understands that just because I want to have a higher top speed on my car, doesn't mean that i'm going to be pushing that speed on the streets. I never said, "113 isn't fast enough for me on public roads", all I asked was why it was limited to that, and how do I get it to go faster.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:16 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Understands that just because I want to have a higher top speed on my car, doesn't mean that i'm going to be pushing that speed on the streets. I never said, "113 isn't fast enough for me on public roads", all I asked was why it was limited to that, and how do I get it to go faster.
Answered and answered.
In the interest of your and the publics safety I suggest you contact a tuning expert locally or someone like AM to be sure you get the most up to date and accurate info available as there seems to be a lot of theories surrounding top speed and safety on the new 6's.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:39 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Where else will you be going faster then the top speed limiter allows

I don't recall any new 6's breaking that on the strip..
Have you ever heard of a "race track"...

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

When car and driver took the 2011 Mustang V6 around Virginia International Raceway they were hitting the top speed governor for more than 15 seconds per lap. A drag strip is not the only place you can go over 100+ MPH legally...
Old 11-13-2012, 09:49 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Have you ever heard of a "race track"...

---------- Post added at 09:39 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 AM ----------

When car and driver took the 2011 Mustang V6 around Virginia International Raceway they were hitting the top speed governor for more than 15 seconds per lap. A drag strip is not the only place you can go over 100+ MPH legally...
I'm very familiar with VIR..
Old 11-13-2012, 10:13 AM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
Answered and answered.
In the interest of your and the publics safety I suggest you contact a tuning expert locally or someone like AM to be sure you get the most up to date and accurate info available as there seems to be a lot of theories surrounding top speed and safety on the new 6's.
THIS... I cant say how true the statement "there seems to be a lot of theories surrounding top speed and safety on the new 6's" is... There are multiple theories about when your drive shaft will break and what tires are rated to. On the Evolution, most stick with 125MPH being a breaking point but as you can read some think it is more than this and others lower. On other forums people continue to disagree and to be honest Im not sure that anyone has put the real leg work in to find an answer backed by Ford. Honestly brother, your SAFE bet is to leave that governor be until you put in the leg work yourself and get an answer that you could have total confidence in. After all, if your drive shaft were to snap at 125, you have no safety hoop to keep that shaft from digging into pavement. There is a very real possibility that it will catch an edge and sent your car our of control... at best you snap a shaft and maybe do some damage to the rear end or transmission. At worst, you can kill yourself and anyone else near you on the road... I respect that you just want the best performance from your car, but please, everyone, take the safest route for yourselves and the other drivers on the road. None of us want to see any other person or car damaged in our never ending quest for positive G force.

You wouldn't put a gun to your head and pull the trigger because someone else told you it wasn't loaded, would you?
Old 11-13-2012, 10:28 AM  
Staff
Staff

Adogg is unknown around these parts
This is getting way to off topic all he asked was about his top speed and how to get it higher what he does with the information that was given to him we can only assume. There is no reason to accuse him of doing it on public roads cause that was never said. But just some quick advice I you do raise your top speed do it on the track an have some fun.
Old 11-13-2012, 11:04 AM  
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adogg
This is getting way to off topic all he asked was about his top speed and how to get it higher what he does with the information that was given to him we can only assume. There is no reason to accuse him of doing it on public roads cause that was never said. But just some quick advice I you do raise your top speed do it on the track an have some fun.
Personal and public safety are very much on topic here. Anytime factory controls are removed or by passed it is of concern to anyone who may share a road. Just like it was not specifically expressed that the sole intent was on road use it was not expressed that the sole intent was off road use only. We have very clear rules and walk a tight line when these topics come up and in no way condone said activities on public roads. again we understand the query but we have a responsibility to advise members in the best interest of public safety.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:17 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

Midnight2012 is unknown around these parts
Quote:

Personal and public safety are very much on topic here. Anytime factory controls are removed or by passed it is of concern to anyone who may share a road. Just like it was not specifically expressed that the sole intent was on road use it was not expressed that the sole intent was off road use only. We have very clear rules and walk a tight line when these topics come up and in no way condone said activities on public roads. again we understand the query but we have a responsibility to advise members in the best interest of public safety.
Regardless of saftey Ford should have put a speed limit in line with a V6 Sports Car. My daughters Fiesta is limited at 118. That car would be squirrely as heck at that speed. Ive had my mustang to 110 and it was very smooth.
At least out in a drive train rated to 150 and limit it to 120/125. There us no excuse for sny car to have a DS that will fall out at any speed. Un-acceptable. Even my wifes Flex boat anchor can go over 113.
Old 11-13-2012, 01:15 PM  
Staff
Staff

Adogg is unknown around these parts
Quote:

I no it is unsafe I told him to do it on the track and not the road? He can raise his top speed if he wants to as long as he is using it in the right place. Trust me Iam all about safety and if he has gone that speed on the road or is planning to do so I urge him to reconsider cause any car can go fast with enough room of course lol but that beside that fact. One day my dad when he was young was in a mustang and thought it would be a good idea to speed he ended up splitting his mustang in half and breaking his friends arm luckily no one is dead so next time some thinks of speeding just think about how great ur car would be split in Half ill post the pic of his mustang when I find it
Old 11-13-2012, 02:33 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

Jayday20 is unknown around these parts
So from what I take from all this is that there is no definitive answer on whether or not the drive shaft will fail at speeds above 113? I only ask because I do plan on modding down the road and just curious as to whether or not a new drive shaft is a must sooner rather than later. I know on the American muscle v6 project car they take it to 140 on the dyno before replacing the drive shaft in there stage 3 or 4 mods I can't remember. If it was a real issue I guess there would be more info out about it. I have tried countless searches and read through them all but nothing says that this is a recurring problem, anyways if anybody comes up with some good info lets us know what u find.
Old 11-13-2012, 02:51 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayday20 View Post
So from what I take from all this is that there is no definitive answer on whether or not the drive shaft will fail at speeds above 113? I only ask because I do plan on modding down the road and just curious as to whether or not a new drive shaft is a must sooner rather than later. I know on the American muscle v6 project car they take it to 140 on the dyno before replacing the drive shaft in there stage 3 or 4 mods I can't remember. If it was a real issue I guess there would be more info out about it. I have tried countless searches and read through them all but nothing says that this is a recurring problem, anyways if anybody comes up with some good info lets us know what u find.
I 2nd this. I did find a video of someones shaft failing on a 11' v6 at 125, but again that may have been fixed with the 13's. I'll ask my dealer next time I am in for service, and post here to update you.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:16 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

NewMtang is unknown around these parts
Video

For those who want to see the video.

2011 Ford Mustang V6 Driveshaft Fails At 135mph - YouTube

2011 Ford Mustang V6 Driveshaft Fails At 135 MPH [Video] | AutoGuide.com News
Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Ford Racing Sport Axle-Back Exhaust...Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts.
Old 11-13-2012, 05:43 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

he got lucky his car was the only thing damaged.
Old 11-18-2012, 04:38 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

UltArc is unknown around these parts
Top speed SHOULD be 155-160 mph governed by stock power and aerodynamics.

Please note, this is calculated by power and aero data, not taking into note the governor or potential hazards/failures, such as the drive shaft.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 11-18-2012, 04:53 PM  
It's not me, it's you.
Supporter
Staff

primer2tone is unknown around these parts
That's one thing that doesn't make sense. Why couldn't Ford just put in the same driveshaft as the GT? Was it really that cost effective to skimp out on the durability of the V6's driveshaft? I don't get it.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:00 PM  
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone
That's one thing that doesn't make sense. Why couldn't Ford just put in the same driveshaft as the GT? Was it really that cost effective to skimp out on the durability of the V6's driveshaft? I don't get it.
Because its not cost effective and as bad as the owners don't want to hear it it's not designed to go past 118 or whatever.. It's a v6 commuter car, not a Gran Touring (GT) car.. It's a base model sports car.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:57 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Because its not cost effective and as bad as the owners don't want to hear it it's not designed to go past 118 or whatever.. It's a v6 commuter car, not a Gran Touring (GT) car.. It's a base model sports car.
Don't call it a sports car, or the trolls will be here to complain about how the Mustang isn't good enough to be a sports car.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 11-18-2012, 06:17 PM  
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

Don't call it a sports car, or the trolls will be here to complain about how the Mustang isn't good enough to be a sports car.
Lmfao.. Call it how I see it.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:34 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lmfao.. Call it how I see it.
Yea, me too, but after so long of people who don't drive a Mustang, or even a rear wheel drive car at that, jumping on it to talk about how it isn't a evo or corvette and how price dictates the car itself, I have gotten tired of it.

Does anyone know the weight of the GTs drive shaft or if it will fit onto a v6? Weird question, but no one seems to know.

Old 11-18-2012, 08:34 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

alrefire is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Drive shaft fails at 136mph. The stock limit on my car was 120 I raised it to 125.
i removed mine
I won't go faster than 120 untill i get new tires+d shaft
Old 11-18-2012, 08:41 PM  
Registered Member
Regular

I really have no need to go that fast personally but I wanted to bring up how gearing may change the top speed at which your stock drive shaft breaks. Steeper gears mean more HP to hit top speed, meaning a mustang with 3.73 gears might snap a shaft at a lower speed than people think. Larger wheels could also cause extra stress on the drive shaft and cause pre mature failure.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang