aimsoil, royal purple , oil with a twist - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-14-2012, 02:44 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
aimsoil, royal purple , oil with a twist

Hello I know there has to be threads on this but I have something different. I was thinking of getting aimsoil for my oil change but after talking to my fleet manager at my police department, he said they used it before Abd it was crap. The reason why because the oil I'd only for high race performance and not for daily use. And the police chargers wernt racing that were know of so the oil was not being treated it to what it is made for so it would create copper in the valves and mess the valves up due to friction. This killed any chance of me using aimsoil, they sent the oil to the lab abd that's what they were told. Would royal purple act the same? I switch my mind to ry but my fleet manager hasn't use it on the chargers.
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 04:28 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
This may start yet another oil thread....amsoil is good stuff, pricy, but good. My thoughts are this: I use both semi synthetic and full synthetic. If I change the oil and use semi, I leave it in for about 4 to 4500 miles. If I use full synthetic, I leave it in there for 6 to 7K. I don't pay much mind to the dash monitor that tells you when it's time to change. I just reset it when I change the oil. Been doing this with my past cars, and have always seen well over 100K and 200K miles on their engines. Last truck got me to 236K before I traded it in on my current 2005 F150 (4.2 V6), it has 110K, and still strong. My 2011 Mustang has 31K on it (only 9 months old from when I bought it).

One thing to be careful of though is the oil viscosity. Stay with the 5W-20. I've heard and read that a higher viscosity in the 3.7 V6 can cause long term damage to the variable valve timing, as it works on oil pressure principle to adjust the valve timing. Higher viscosities are not recommended. I know the Boss 302 uses 5w-50 (or something like that), but thats a different beast all together.
Old 11-14-2012, 05:10 PM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Just play it safe... 5W 20 motorcraft synthetic blend!!! That's what Ford recommends. There will never be a warranty issue when using the oil they recommend.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-14-2012, 05:18 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1
Hello I know there has to be threads on this but I have something different. I was thinking of getting aimsoil for my oil change but after talking to my fleet manager at my police department, he said they used it before Abd it was crap. The reason why because the oil I'd only for high race performance and not for daily use. And the police chargers wernt racing that were know of so the oil was not being treated it to what it is made for so it would create copper in the valves and mess the valves up due to friction. This killed any chance of me using aimsoil, they sent the oil to the lab abd that's what they were told. Would royal purple act the same? I switch my mind to ry but my fleet manager hasn't use it on the chargers.
I've used RP for years (since '98) and have never had any problems with it!.. Now I personally never used Aimsoil but this is the first time I've heard anything negative about it!.. Is there any way you can get a copy of the report from the lab?.. Just curious what exactly it says!..

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eturner

I've used RP for years (since '98) and have never had any problems with it!.. Now I personally never used Aimsoil but this is the first time I've heard anything negative about it!.. Is there any way you can get a copy of the report from the lab?.. Just curious what exactly it says!..
Since '98. Lol
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

You dont hear bad things about RP because it's a good oil like many others. I would consider Moble 1 in that same bracket as well.

I think bucko may be on to something here... I usually say it's not a good idea to swap oil's on a car that has been running exclusively that for manny miles (say 75k or more). However, if you were consistently using different oils of high quality then you may see the benefits of more than one of those oil's. There are also some oil's that probably need more consistent use to show benefit so it's not perfect either... thats my theory at least.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 06:48 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:17 PM ----------

Since '98. Lol
I can't its state property but the lab said that it was because the engine wasn't being put to the harsh conditions it was made for. They had the oil for about 6 months and when they had problems they sent the vehicles to the shop and then got them back same problem then change oil sent a sample to the lab said the viscosity was good but needed to be used at the conditions the oil was used for. Only oil they have ever had a problem with.
Old 11-14-2012, 09:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
I use RP. And when I bought my 08 gt a few weeks ago, I took it to the dealership to have the oil changed. I bought 5-30. But the dealership refused to put it in. Said I'd have to sign a waver since the engine calls for 5-20. Saying that the tolerances inside the engine are so tight that it requires 5-20.
I'm not a rocket scientist so I just exchanged it for 5-20 and rolled with it.
But never had issues with it either
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by 08SteedaQ350
I use RP. And when I bought my 08 gt a few weeks ago, I took it to the dealership to have the oil changed. I bought 5-30. But the dealership refused to put it in. Said I'd have to sign a waver since the engine calls for 5-20. Saying that the tolerances inside the engine are so tight that it requires 5-20.
I'm not a rocket scientist so I just exchanged it for 5-20 and rolled with it.
But never had issues with it either
Sounds like the dealership was just trying to get you to buy their stuff!.. They make more money that way!...
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 09:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Quote:

Sounds like the dealership was just trying to get you to buy their stuff!.. They make more money that way!...
Lol no I buy my own oil and filter. Just go there to have it changed. I took the oil back to autozone and exchanged it
08SteedaQ350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:02 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The myths of mixing different blends semi verses full synthetic are just that; myths. You can switch back and forth, at any time. You can even mix them together. The reaso I will switch back and forth is because I buy whats on sale. If full synthetic is on sale, I prefer it and buy it.
Old 11-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Could be wrong but the difference between regular and synthetic is the wax. Regular oil uses wax as a filler. Well synthetic doesn't. Considering taxis have been using recycled oil in n.y. For years now I'm sure were ok using whichever.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:51 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Read your Manual

The Manual will tell you exactly what to look for on the container when you purchase the oil for your Mustang.

You can't ever go wrong if you use Mobil-1 or any of the quality specialty products from Royal Purple, Amsoil, Etc.

SAE-5W20 Is the weight recommended.

Page 314 Say's Premium synthetic blend---or--Full synthetic 5W20

On page 285 there is a picture of what to look for on the container. It is a seal that Say's " American Petroleum Institute--Certified
For Gasoline Engines

It is A round seal and should be on any container that holds the oil you want to use.

If this seal ain't on the container --"Don't use it"""

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:56 AM   #13
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Good to see folks doing their homework, and killing off the old, uninformed myths that are still floating around the internet about engine oils.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang