Question about doing retrofit headlights on my 2011 mustang - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-15-2012, 04:48 PM   #1

Region: Ohio
Question about doing retrofit headlights on my 2011 mustang

Hi guys. I am planning to do a retrofit on my 2011 mustang with original halogen housing. I got a quote from LightWerkz, and they charge $315 for FXR Stage 1 system and $680 for labor, which sounds quite expensive to me. I was wondering if it would be better to go with a pair of 2013 mustang OEM HID headlights, which I found on ebay is priced at $999. Although I may need to do some new wiring in order to put the 2013 mustang headlights on my car.

What do you guys recommand? A retrofit project or 2013 OEM HID headlights?
And if someone has done a retrofit project or install 2010 -2013 mustang OEM HID headlights on their 2010+ mustang, please let me know if the retorfit really worth it or how I need to do the wiring with the OEM HID headlights.

Thank you.
peterzard is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzard View Post
Hi guys. I am planning to do a retrofit on my 2011 mustang with original halogen housing. I got a quote from LightWerkz, and they charge $315 for FXR Stage 1 system and $680 for labor, which sounds quite expensive to me. I was wondering if it would be better to go with a pair of 2013 mustang OEM HID headlights, which I found on ebay is priced at $999. Although I may need to do some new wiring in order to put the 2013 mustang headlights on my car.

What do you guys recommand? A retrofit project or 2013 OEM HID headlights?
And if someone has done a retrofit project or install 2010 -2013 mustang OEM HID headlights on their 2010+ mustang, please let me know if the retorfit really worth it or how I need to do the wiring with the OEM HID headlights.

Thank you.

My brother, please, dont drop a grand on headlights. I'd take it that you want projector headlights, and thats respectable. So, lets look at a good looking and much more reasonable option.... Raxiom.... check out the link friend.

Raxiom Black Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo (10-12 Mustang V6, GT) 49129 - Free Shipping!
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #3

Thanks for your reply, but I heard that using HID bulb in those headlights would melt the housing. Also smoked headlights might not work for me, because I want to increase the light output by doing retrofit or installing OEM HID headlights, the smoked housing would decrease the light output.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2012, 05:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
They come in black or regular. I just don't like the raxiom headlights look. I want factory look not the weird halos
Old 11-15-2012, 05:32 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Cyclon37 has the with hiss and they are fine
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I still dont think you need to spend that much to get the look you want. If nothing else, give it some time and see if something new comes out. Raxiom is working on 2013 tail lights for the 2010+, maybe they will release some headlights with it or something. At any rate, I would be patient brother, these mustangs are still pretty new, there should be more aftermarket parts coming out soon.... we hope
Old 11-15-2012, 07:14 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I've got HIDs in my stock housing it hasent melted anything or done any damage. A lot of people say not to do it bc it blinds other drivers .
I'm not saying it is not true but mine don't seem to do it . I've never been bright lighted or any of the above. I think it has a lot to do with how low the headlights are and the shape of the housing .
It did brighten up the road a lot too .

Just Sharing my experience with them. I do not need anyone telling me its illegal, to die and all the other things this subject brings up.
Thanks in advanced lol
Old 11-15-2012, 07:28 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
I have hids in the Raxiom housings and they work just fine. That said, their light output sucks compared to high quality projectors.

I would call my headlights acceptable. The headlights in my wife's Acura are OMGWTFBBQ bright.

I looked into retrofitting my stock headlights but, based on what I read, they are stupid hard to get open.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
Cyclon37 has the with hiss and they are fine
Yup, looks great. And you don't need to wire in the halos/leds if you don't want.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2350442125.jpg
Views:	484
Size:	640.6 KB
ID:	76153   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3798729316.jpg
Views:	1075
Size:	837.9 KB
ID:	76154  

CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

I think the HID thing would work if you aim them properly.

they look sweet with the blue paint brother, good look.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:47 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Hey cyclon37 - what wattage are you using in your Raxioms?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson
Hey cyclon37 - what wattage are you using in your Raxioms?
Old 11-15-2012, 08:42 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
My brother, please, dont drop a grand on headlights. I'd take it that you want projector headlights, and thats respectable. So, lets look at a good looking and much more reasonable option.... Raxiom.... check out the link friend.

Raxiom Black Projector Headlights - CCFL Halo (10-12 Mustang V6, GT) 49129 - Free Shipping!
+1

If I didn't have the factory HID setup, i'd be using these Raxiom lights on my 2011 GT/CS, they look sick!
IanM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 08:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

I meant 35w or 55w?
Old 11-15-2012, 11:21 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson

I meant 35w or 55w?
Oh, lol. 35
Old 11-15-2012, 11:25 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Go 35 and there will e no melting
Old 11-15-2012, 11:55 PM   #17

Thanks for all you guys' replies. I think I will go for a retrofit project. Hope it would make a big difference for my headlight. After I get those retrofit headlights installed, I will post some pictures to show the light output and cutoff.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:02 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah tell me how hard it is when you're done this might be something I would consider myself
Old 11-16-2012, 09:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I've seen some good retrofit jobs on our cars so gl. I don't think it's worth the money but hey, it's not my money your spending!
Old 11-16-2012, 12:21 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Dont forget 2010-12 had their own factory hid housings too, you could search for those which may be cheaper than the 13s
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

I just got a quote from a shop in Grand Prairie for 55w HIDS 5k pretty much pure white. White SMD oracle halos and switchback-amber lenses for the turn signals. the HIDS and halos in both the headlights and fog lights. all of it done, 1600 (includes colorshift for halos). 1200 without colorshift. seems pretty good to me

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:07 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I'm tellin ya man grab some raxioms or just throw some hids in there I would never in a million years spend 1600 on headlights you could get full exhaust from the headers back for that but hey as they always say to each his own
Old 11-16-2012, 07:27 PM   #23
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Hey, someone wanting to be closer to legal.

I honestly don't understand how you guys can see anything in the rain. I drove a car with 6000k hid's in the halogen housings this past weekend for 11 hours in the rain. That was the worst visibility i've ever experienced in my life. The only way I could drive was by keeping track of the white line. Couldn't see the road at all at times.
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 08:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
I'm tellin ya man grab some raxioms or just throw some hids in there I would never in a million years spend 1600 on headlights you could get full exhaust from the headers back for that but hey as they always say to each his own
I respect that man. I'm just looking for the color shift and the exclusivity of it.

2012 V6
Old 11-16-2012, 09:14 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r
I just got a quote from a shop in Grand Prairie for 55w HIDS 5k pretty much pure white. White SMD oracle halos and switchback-amber lenses for the turn signals. the HIDS and halos in both the headlights and fog lights. all of it done, 1600 (includes colorshift for halos). 1200 without colorshift. seems pretty good to me
A bit pricey but that should look awesome when done man. If you go ahead with it, be sure to post pics.
Old 11-16-2012, 09:18 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

I honestly don't understand how you guys can see anything in the rain. I drove a car with 6000k hid's in the halogen housings this past weekend for 11 hours in the rain. That was the worst visibility i've ever experienced in my life. The only way I could drive was by keeping track of the white line. Couldn't see the road at all at times.
I had the same issues when I got my projector HiDs but I didn't realized I can adjust the beam output to be put up higher out enough to see much better than standard halogens so simple to do but such a big difference
Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 09:21 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37

A bit pricey but that should look awesome when done man. If you go ahead with it, be sure to post pics.
thanks man I definitely will. hoping to have a completely one-off car by the time I'm done with it.

2012 V6
Old 11-16-2012, 10:13 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminator

I had the same issues when I got my projector HiDs but I didn't realized I can adjust the beam output to be put up higher out enough to see much better than standard halogens so simple to do but such a big difference
Could you explain, please? Also, what projectors do you have?
Old 11-17-2012, 08:39 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn View Post

+1 i was in buffalo with ny daily deiver that has fake hid (hid bulbs in regular housings) a few weeks back and it was pouring rain at night, i kept veering all over the highway, this never happens in my mustang which has true factory hids. Theres no exclusivity to a fake hid setup anybody can tell the difference. A true hid setup will make your ride look awesome and truly improve light output. People wont be annoyed by the rice blue lighting, true hid gives that sexy cutoff line and a hue that is not replicable with regular halogen housing/hid bulbs. The colour changes at different angles. You just have glare of its fake hid.

I dont know much about aftermarket projectors but i respect that attempt. I saw a mustang exactly like mine the ither night and once i passed him he had the obnoxious fake hids, they looked like crap compared to mine, both appearance and road lighting.

My system cost $900 from the factory, which is rediculous, paying more than that for an aftermarket retrofit is crazy!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 08:42 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
thanks man I definitely will. hoping to have a completely one-off car by the time I'm done with it.
amen
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

amen

2012 V6
Old 11-17-2012, 11:05 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_stig

+1 i was in buffalo with ny daily deiver that has fake hid (hid bulbs in regular housings) a few weeks back and it was pouring rain at night, i kept veering all over the highway, this never happens in my mustang which has true factory hids. Theres no exclusivity to a fake hid setup anybody can tell the difference. A true hid setup will make your ride look awesome and truly improve light output. People wont be annoyed by the rice blue lighting, true hid gives that sexy cutoff line and a hue that is not replicable with regular halogen housing/hid bulbs. The colour changes at different angles. You just have glare of its fake hid.

I dont know much about aftermarket projectors but i respect that attempt. I saw a mustang exactly like mine the ither night and once i passed him he had the obnoxious fake hids, they looked like crap compared to mine, both appearance and road lighting.

My system cost $900 from the factory, which is rediculous, paying more than that for an aftermarket retrofit is crazy!
Yep, totally agree with your idea. But it seems like that if I am going to install the oem hid headlights I might have to change the whole wiring for my lighting system, which is a pain in the ***. So i decide to go for retrofit project. I will post some pictures of the light output and cutoff after the retrofit project is done.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:22 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzard

Yep, totally agree with your idea. But it seems like that if I am going to install the oem hid headlights I might have to change the whole wiring for my lighting system, which is a pain in the ***. So i decide to go for retrofit project. I will post some pictures of the light output and cutoff after the retrofit project is done.
Couldn't that just be the shops problem and not yours to save you money?
Old 11-17-2012, 11:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

I don't think money really matters here. If you are considering doing modifications on your ride it is all about how happy you are after you got those new mods not how well you got your money saved.
Old 11-17-2012, 12:38 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

the shop would definitely charge you more for the extra pain

---------- Post added at 01:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:37 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterzard

I don't think money really matters here. If you are considering doing modifications on your ride it is all about how happy you are after you got those new mods not how well you got your money saved.
+100000 could not have said it better myself

2012 V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2011 mustang