Looking at ramps - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-16-2012, 10:09 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Looking at ramps

I'm thinking about buying some ramps so I don't have to deal with jacks and stands for oil changes and such. What height should I be looking for and should I be worried about the steepness?
Factory wheels suspension and front.
Gk1million is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 02:26 PM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Rhino Ramps are pretty good and cheap

Walmart, Pep Boy's and most places sell Rhino Ramps. They work great but be sure you get a rubber backed carpet to put under them. They do have a problem of slipping if they are just on the concrete garage floor.

I have them and used them for my 98 Corvette which was very low so I had to drive up on two by eight boards to get my front from hitting the ramps before the tires. They worked great for changing the oil.

I have not used them on my Mustang yet but I'm certain I will not have any problems at all.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Walmart, Pep Boy's and most places sell Rhino Ramps. They work great but be sure you get a rubber backed carpet to put under them. They do have a problem of slipping if they are just on the concrete garage floor.

I have them and used them for my 98 Corvette which was very low so I had to drive up on two by eight boards to get my front from hitting the ramps before the tires. They worked great for changing the oil.

I have not used them on my Mustang yet but I'm certain I will not have any problems at all.

Ronnie
Thanks ill check um out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-16-2012, 03:17 PM   #4
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
You could build some ramps. Stagger some 2X8's. that's what I need to do. My car is too low for traditional ramps. Hell, I can't even get the stock jack under the car. Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 05:13 PM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hey Primer2tone

My 1998 Corvette was very low and would hit the Rhino Ramps.

Easy safe fix was just to go to Lowes and buy a 2 X 8 and cut it into the length I needed for two pieces.

Drove the vette onto the 2 X 8's--- Put the Rhino's against the boards and the two inches were just enough to have the front end clear so my Vette would not scrape on the Ramps.

I went to a carpet store and they actually gave me a nice piece of carpet with a rubber backing that I put under the ramps to avoid them sliding on my smooth concrete garage floor.

My opinion is this:: If I'm getting under a car I think I would prefer the Rhino Ramps and not a bunch of wood piled up. I also block the wheels on the ground to avoid any rolling. ( Overkill,I know) but safty first. A set of Rhino Ramps are only about $25.00 or so.

Ronnie
Old 11-18-2012, 03:49 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Yep ended up needing some boards to get up the ramps. It was really close though, maybe a half inch higher bumper and it would have been fine.
Old 11-18-2012, 05:05 PM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The boards work fine

Once you get the hang of using them it gets second nature.

Ronnie
Old 11-20-2012, 03:12 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gk1million
Yep ended up needing some boards to get up the ramps. It was really close though, maybe a half inch higher bumper and it would have been fine.
Anybody recommend ramps if I don't have a garage. Just a parking space outside? Lol no one parks in the spot next to me because they aren't there half the yeAr so ill have space lol just wanna work only car. What r ur thoughts?
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 03:41 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Find a new girlfriend that has a garage.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #10
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

EASY

Rhino Ramps, You don't need a garage to use them. Go to Walmart and I'm pretty sure they sell them.
Ronnie

Check them out
http://www.amazon.com/RhinoGear-1190.../dp/B006EGAIII

https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....1.oJ91Piyb7zM
Old 11-20-2012, 06:56 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I bought some metal one's that are powder coated today from harbor freight for 40 bucks, they work like they are supposed to, didn't slide or anything like that. they will work for now, not sure about once i nam lowered though. they had one of the "low profile" jacks at harbor freight for around $100 that looked solid, I might go back and pick it hp at some point.

rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2012, 09:01 PM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi rebiltx

When you lower your car and if any part of the car hits the ramps all you need to do is get a couple of 2X8 boards to drive the front wheels on and then on to the ramps. Problam solved.

Those are some nice sturdy looking ramps you bought.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang