3.73 Ford Racing gears - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-22-2012, 03:40 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
3.73 Ford Racing gears

Okay I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere, but I've got my own questions about this. I want to put 3.73 gears in my car. I know it will give better acceleration off the line and kinda kill my mpg but I didn't buy a mustang to get mpg. wondering what else ill really need to get, what would be best to upgrade at the smell time and everything

---------- Post added at 03:40 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:40 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r
Okay I'm sure there is a thread about this somewhere, but I've got my own questions about this. I want to put 3.73 gears in my car. I know it will give better acceleration off the line and kinda kill my mpg but I didn't buy a mustang to get mpg. wondering what else ill really need to get, what would be best to upgrade at the smell time and everything
same time****

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 04:17 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
You'll have to recalibrate your speedo after the install.
I've always had tuners for my mustangs so it was an easy fix.
Gotta do my 2013 soon and the 3.73 is my favorite.
13stang901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2012, 04:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
If you have an auto then you also need a tune or you can seriously screw up your transmission. I read that somewhere but there were other people saying the same thing. I know I would tune if going with gears. Also, I would source a place to do the install and get a quote. Make sure to install that tune before you start up for the first time. Ford also recommends 5min regular of idle and 5min of idle with AC on Max to let the computer learn. I would buy a Bama tune then get gears. The Bama tune will give instant gratification till you get the gears installed. Once your ready to do the gears Bama can get u a tune for it since you will have free tunes for life....

Win
Advertisement

Old 11-22-2012, 04:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
If you have an auto then you also need a tune or you can seriously screw up your transmission. I read that somewhere but there were other people saying the same thing. I know I would tune if going with gears. Also, I would source a place to do the install and get a quote. Make sure to install that tune before you start up for the first time. Ford also recommends 5min regular of idle and 5min of idle with AC on Max to let the computer learn. I would buy a Bama tune then get gears. The Bama tune will give instant gratification till you get the gears installed. Once your ready to do the gears Bama can get u a tune for it since you will have free tunes for life....

Win
greatest response ever! haha. so, should I just wait and get headers put on the same time I get the gears so they can tune it all at once?

2012 V6
Old 11-22-2012, 05:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
greatest response ever! haha. so, should I just wait and get headers put on the same time I get the gears so they can tune it all at once?
Well if you do American Muscle's Bama tunes, they offer free tunes for life, so you can request new tunes everytime you change something on your car.

They are pretty awesome. They give you a Race, Performance, Street tune. Last time I got tunes I got 2 different styled race tunes and a street tune. So they definitely do accomodate!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nosympathy

Well if you do American Muscle's Bama tunes, they offer free tunes for life, so you can request new tunes everytime you change something on your car.

They are pretty awesome. They give you a Race, Performance, Street tune. Last time I got tunes I got 2 different styled race tunes and a street tune. So they definitely do accomodate!
sounds like a good way to go

2012 V6
Old 11-22-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

It wouldn't hurt but it's not necessary. You could save the $ by installing the long tubes yourself, it's not that hard really. You will need to make sure the long tube's will bolt to your stock exhaust though. Also, with your free tunes for life you don't need to worry about getting the tune done all at once. Pay to have the 3.73's put in and load that tune(Bama will give it to you, just ask). Then when you are ready, talk to Bama and tell them what you plan to add long tubes. They might want to see the data log's from your current tune, no big deal, it's for the best anyways and will keep your car safe. Once they see your tune they will make adjustments as needed and add in parameters for the long tubes... And there you have it, most cost effective and technically the right way to do it... In my opinion at least.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:16 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It wouldn't hurt but it's not necessary. You could save the $ by installing the long tubes yourself, it's not that hard really. You will need to make sure the long tube's will bolt to your stock exhaust though. Also, with your free tunes for life you don't need to worry about getting the tune done all at once. Pay to have the 3.73's put in and load that tune(Bama will give it to you, just ask). Then when you are ready, talk to Bama and tell them what you plan to add long tubes. They might want to see the data log's from your current tune, no big deal, it's for the best anyways and will keep your car safe. Once they see your tune they will make adjustments as needed and add in parameters for the long tubes... And there you have it, most cost effective and technically the right way to do it... In my opinion at least.
I have borla catback and I'm getting borla headers to finish the exhaust. and yeah I think I'll go about it that way. if I order the gears from AM, do I need to get all the extra options from AM? like the little drop down menus they have when you are looking at the gears

2012 V6
Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have borla catback and I'm getting borla headers to finish the exhaust. and yeah I think I'll go about it that way. if I order the gears from AM, do I need to get all the extra options from AM? like the little drop down menus they have when you are looking at the gears
Are you doing the gears yourself? If not I would find a shop that you want to have do it first and see what they offer. Might get a discount that way.

I have a local mustang only shop that did gears, oil, rebuild kit, etc. +labor for 550+tax.

If I had purchased the gears seperetly it would have cost more as they discounted the parts.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Are you doing the gears yourself? If not I would find a shop that you want to have do it first and see what they offer. Might get a discount that way.

I have a local mustang only shop that did gears, oil, rebuild kit, etc. +labor for 550+tax.

If I had purchased the gears seperetly it would have cost more as they discounted the parts.
yeah there's this place called gearheads in Arlington that is almost all mustangs. I'm gonna get them to do it

2012 V6
Old 11-22-2012, 07:31 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
It won't mess up you're tranny if you don't tune it
Old 11-23-2012, 01:42 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831
+1
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:51 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
it'll just shift at random points, and your speedo will be off
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

I'm definitely going to tune it lol

2012 V6
Old 11-23-2012, 12:36 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire

Mines didn't when I installed them maybe you got wrong info. What it did do was that my speedo was off
Old 11-23-2012, 04:39 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
On a manual,when you re-calibrate your speedo, will the dealer see this? I want to put in 3.73 in the spring but don't want any dealer woes. : )
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 05:00 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike
On a manual,when you re-calibrate your speedo, will the dealer see this? I want to put in 3.73 in the spring but don't want any dealer woes. : )
Even if they didnt see it they are going to know when they drive it and it goes like a bat out of hell!
Old 11-23-2012, 07:26 PM   #18
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
Quote:
Yes. The dealer may be able to calibrate it
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 07:46 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012

Even if they didnt see it they are going to know when they drive it and it goes like a bat out of hell!
Lol, I just want them to think its stock and nobodys touched anything.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
The dealer will not calibrate anything but 2.93/3.31 gears, because that is all V6s came with from the factory. This had been discussed many times and they don't have optional programming for these vehicles for the other gear ratios. They reflash the whole PCM to a factory config, not alter specific parts.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 09:20 PM   #21
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
The dealer will not calibrate anything but 2.93/3.31 gears, because that is all V6s came with from the factory. This had been discussed many times and they don't have optional programming for these vehicles for the other gear ratios. They reflash the whole PCM to a factory config, not alter specific parts.
Hm...good to know. Sure wish we could just do speedo gears still.
Our's:
Old 11-23-2012, 09:29 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So if I get the 3.73s I would have to flash the pcm therefore possibly voiding my warrenty? There's no alternative?
Old 11-24-2012, 01:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So if I get the 3.73s I would have to flash the pcm therefore possibly voiding my warrenty? There's no alternative?
Yes and Nope
Old 11-24-2012, 11:29 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If you drive a 96-04

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...l-Manual-Trans

If you drive a 05-2010

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-M-4209ADPT-AC

This last one is more expensive but there is a model for the 2011 and 2012's. no 2013 yet but I'm sure there working on it.

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...A3757A0A0.aspx

Another option would be to change some gears in your trans. I know that your car uses a gear in the trans to determine speed, so changeling that would give the desired result... I'm not real hip to the parts of a trans, maybe someone else could elaborate here.

You could also contact Bama and see if they can fix it within one of there tunes. That would be the best case if you plan on tuning in the future.
Old 11-24-2012, 11:53 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
If you drive a 96-04

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...l-Manual-Trans

If you drive a 05-2010

http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...-M-4209ADPT-AC

This last one is more expensive but there is a model for the 2011 and 2012's. no 2013 yet but I'm sure there working on it.

http://www.autoanything.com/performa...A3757A0A0.aspx

Another option would be to change some gears in your trans. I know that your car uses a gear in the trans to determine speed, so changeling that would give the desired result... I'm not real hip to the parts of a trans, maybe someone else could elaborate here.

You could also contact Bama and see if they can fix it within one of there tunes. That would be the best case if you plan on tuning in the future.
If I leave the speedo as is and just change the gear and pinion how much would it be off? Say doing 100km or miles what would it say I'm doing? Is it a drastic difference or just 5 or so clicks? Btw I have a 13. Thx everyone so far on this matter! You have all been helpful.
Old 11-24-2012, 12:29 PM   #26
Legacy Member
Legacy

Quote:

If I leave the speedo as is and just change the gear and pinion how much would it be off? Say doing 100km or miles what would it say I'm doing? Is it a drastic difference or just 5 or so clicks? Btw I have a 13. Thx everyone so far on this matter! You have all been helpful.
The faster you go the more it will be off. Your speedo will be reading faster than you are actually going.
Our's:
Old 11-24-2012, 12:32 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowflyn

The faster you go the more it will be off. Your speedo will be reading faster than you are actually going.
+1 it goes by a certain percentage of being off. therefore if it's 10% off then you'll be going 30 and it shows 33, only a 3 mph difference. However if you're going 70, it'll show 77. 7 mph difference.

2012 V6
Old 11-24-2012, 03:56 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You'll also rack up extra fake miles on your car. Either do it right or leave it alone.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 05:43 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You'll also rack up extra fake miles on your car. Either do it right or leave it alone.
Very good point!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:10 PM   #30
Admin

Supporter
Admin

If you have Ford install their racing gears (ratio you want), they will adjust the PCM/ECU to compensate for the change in speedometer readings.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
If you have Ford install their racing gears (ratio you want), they will adjust the PCM/ECU to compensate for the change in speedometer readings.
do you know how much they charge?

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

do you know how much they charge?
A **** load!! Lol prolly like 300-400
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:36 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

A **** load!! Lol prolly like 300-400
lol like, for gears, install, and everything?

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 05:14 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

lol like, for gears, install, and everything?
Try 1200. That is what I was quoted. I laughed my way out of the dealership. Local mustang only shop did it all parts included for 550+tax.
Old 11-26-2012, 06:15 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Try 1200. That is what I was quoted. I laughed my way out of the dealership. Local mustang only shop did it all parts included for 550+tax.
sounds closer to it lol

2012 V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang