Magnaflow Street Axle Back fitment on a 2013? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Magnaflow Street Axle Back fitment on a 2013?

Does anyone have any experience with installing the Magnaflow Street axle backs on a 2013 V6 Mustang? On the American Muscle site it's listed to only fit 11-12 V6 Mustangs, but their demo video shows it installed on a 2013. Also in the Q&A section on their site one of the AM reps responds that it doesn't fit on the 2013, and that you need to buy the cat back specifically designed to fit the 2013. Almost all the other axle backs that I've seen say they fit 11-13, but not this one. Anyone have any definitive answers on why this would be the case? I'm trying to decide if I can buy the axle back and save a little money, or if I need to buy the cat back. I'm considering purchasing one of these soon since AutoAnything has a 15% off black friday sale until 11/25. There is an $89 difference in price which isn't a huge deal, but I think these things are overpriced as it is so I'd like to get by as cheap as possible.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-24-2012, 08:57 AM   #2
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I'm positive it will fit with no problems

Magnaflow say's

Quote:
Hanger placement on the 2013's was the change that wouldn't allow our 2011-12 kits fit the 2013's.

Nicholas Howe
magnaflow.com | @Magnaflow | FB/magnaflow
We are talking V6 and not GT here.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2012, 01:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

So I guess AM modified theirs to fit on a 2013? I don't want to deal with modifying it so I guess I'll have to spend the extra money on the cat back for the 2013.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 06:10 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Ended up getting the Magnaflow Street Cat Back for the 2013 V6 from AutoAnything for $625 shipped. I hope that I like how it sounds, and that it's not so loud it wakes the neighbors up in the morning.
Old 11-25-2012, 08:00 AM   #5
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You are going to love the sound

They are only loud when you are flooring it. I fell in love with mine as soon as I started my V6 for the first time after installation. My car now sounds like A Mustang is supposed to. It has a nice deep rumble that is actually sounding better as I put more miles on them. I guess the carbon is coating the internals and making the mufflers actually sound better. I'm pretty certain you will be happy with them and will not have to worry about the police giving you a ticket every time you go past one. The tips fit better in the exhaust cut outs then the stock tips and look just perfect.

Spending a little more for the complete cat back system is a wise decision and you will know you have the best system available for your 2013. Now all you need is a CAI or a K&N drop in air filter to complement your exhaust system. I opted for the K&N drop in. It will give me all of the performance I need in my style of driving. BUT I may eventually go for the Araid CAI because of the eye candy when I open my hood. They just look great.

I hope you can find a shop that will install your Magnaflow's properly. Let us know how you like them and "CHEERS"

Ronnie
Old 11-26-2012, 06:13 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

From your description the Magnaflows sound exactly like what I'm looking for. Deep sounding, slighty louder than stock at idle and low RPM's, and louder when WOT, but not obnoxiously so.

I'll probably add a drop in K&N when it's time to replace the filter as I've been reading that there isn't much performance gains without a tune which I won't be doing until after the warranty expires at the earliest. Maybe when the warranty runs out I'll get one of the CAI & Bama tune packages.

As for installing the Magnaflows; my Dad, his friend, and I will be doing it. My Dad's good friend restores cars as a hobby and is currently building an old Nova drag car. He has a couple lifts in his garage that he allows us to use pretty much whenever for oil changes and what not. So were going to take my Mustang over there and install the Magnaflows up on the lift. That should make things much easier.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:38 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

JHaving a lift is great

I put my mufflers on without a lift just jacking up one side then the other. I would much loved to have a lift.

My brother helped (Actually he did 99% of the install) Mine were only the mufflers but you will be doing full cat-backs so the lift will be ideal for your installation.

I think you will need a pipe cutter (Not sure) so check to see if you can rent or borrow one if needed before doing the install.

Ronnie
Old 11-26-2012, 03:58 PM   #8
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Too bad the '13's changed the hangers. I bought a set of GT500 (used) and modified the back tube from my stock ones to weld onto the GT500's. Awsome sound, not obnoxious, and fill out the back area nice.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler_weld.JPG
Views:	231
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	77909   Click image for larger version

Name:	back_shot.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	77910  

Old 12-24-2012, 09:37 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
catback magnaflow streets to the mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
From your description the Magnaflows sound exactly like what I'm looking for. Deep sounding, slighty louder than stock at idle and low RPM's, and louder when WOT, but not obnoxiously so.

I'll probably add a drop in K&N when it's time to replace the filter as I've been reading that there isn't much performance gains without a tune which I won't be doing until after the warranty expires at the earliest. Maybe when the warranty runs out I'll get one of the CAI & Bama tune packages.

As for installing the Magnaflows; my Dad, his friend, and I will be doing it. My Dad's good friend restores cars as a hobby and is currently building an old Nova drag car. He has a couple lifts in his garage that he allows us to use pretty much whenever for oil changes and what not. So were going to take my Mustang over there and install the Magnaflows up on the lift. That should make things much easier.

How is it going installing the magnaflow catbacks? I'm going to drop it off with the mechanic on wednesday. Any tips i can give him to keep the shop time down? i think he did a mustang GT a few years back, not sure what year. i heard you have to remove the hangers, right? anything else you saw? thanks.

~Josh
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:31 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg View Post
How is it going installing the magnaflow catbacks? I'm going to drop it off with the mechanic on wednesday. Any tips i can give him to keep the shop time down? i think he did a mustang GT a few years back, not sure what year. i heard you have to remove the hangers, right? anything else you saw? thanks.

~Josh
We installed them a little over a week ago. It only took us a couple hours all total. We didn't remove the hangers as there is a bolt that would be difficult to get too with the mufflers attached. We just sprayed a little cleaner around the rubber mounts to lubricate them, and removed the mufflers by wiggling the mufflers around a bit. They came off pretty easy, and the over axle pipes came off easy as well though without a lift I'm not sure you could get them off without cutting them.

After removing the stock over axle pipes and mufflers we started putting the Magnaflows on. The Magnaflow pipes are much more beefy, and there are less severe bends. The Magnaflow mufflers are also lighter than the stock mufflers.

We found that it was best to hang the mufflers first, and then put the over axle pipes in. The drivers side went in perfectly, but the passanger side gave us troubles. We had to cut an 1" off of the muffler side of the over axle pipe to get the muffler to fit without touching the valence. It still doesn't fit that great, but we're going to put my car back on the lift in the near future and see if we can adjust it some more.

The sound is great. Not loud and obnoxious like most exhausts you hear on V6's, but still a good bit louder than stock. It has a very deep tone, and instead of popping at high rpm's it now grumbles which I think sounds much better. It does seem to drone a bit around 2,500 rpm, but personally I like that as the exhaust sounds great in that range, and even with the drone you can still hear your radio or other people in the car just fine. Also, the tips look awesome. From some of the pictures I've seen I didn't think I would like the look of the tips, but they look much better in person. I posted a picture that kind of shows what they look like and the issue with my passenger side fitment.

Old 12-26-2012, 07:07 AM   #11
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

If you can't get that side to fit properly<

Call Magnaflow, I'm sure they will do something to make it fit or replace the passenger side for you.

I'm sure they would like to know so if needed they can make a change on their production line.

If you think your exhaust sounds good now, Just wait until you get about 3,000 miles on them. They will actually sound deeper and better when some carbon builds up inside of them.

I was lucky when installing mine because they fit perfect with no tweeking or problems at all. Mine is a 2012 with just the axlebacks though.

Click here for Magnaflow information>http://www.magnaflow.com/08aboutus/contactus.asp

Ronnie
Old 12-26-2012, 03:22 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshLSTV View Post
We installed them a little over a week ago. It only took us a couple hours all total. We didn't remove the hangers as there is a bolt that would be difficult to get too with the mufflers attached. We just sprayed a little cleaner around the rubber mounts to lubricate them, and removed the mufflers by wiggling the mufflers around a bit. They came off pretty easy, and the over axle pipes came off easy as well though without a lift I'm not sure you could get them off without cutting them.

After removing the stock over axle pipes and mufflers we started putting the Magnaflows on. The Magnaflow pipes are much more beefy, and there are less severe bends. The Magnaflow mufflers are also lighter than the stock mufflers.

We found that it was best to hang the mufflers first, and then put the over axle pipes in. The drivers side went in perfectly, but the passanger side gave us troubles. We had to cut an 1" off of the muffler side of the over axle pipe to get the muffler to fit without touching the valence. It still doesn't fit that great, but we're going to put my car back on the lift in the near future and see if we can adjust it some more.

The sound is great. Not loud and obnoxious like most exhausts you hear on V6's, but still a good bit louder than stock. It has a very deep tone, and instead of popping at high rpm's it now grumbles which I think sounds much better. It does seem to drone a bit around 2,500 rpm, but personally I like that as the exhaust sounds great in that range, and even with the drone you can still hear your radio or other people in the car just fine. Also, the tips look awesome. From some of the pictures I've seen I didn't think I would like the look of the tips, but they look much better in person. I posted a picture that kind of shows what they look like and the issue with my passenger side fitment.

[/IMG]
wow, thanks for the update. I my mechanic increased the time they thought from 1 hr to 1.5 hrs shop time, i said that was ok, but i'm going to relay the information to keep it under 1.5 hrs..lol. I don't want them to rush, but if they can avoid common mistakes that would help my pockets

cheers,
Josh
Old 12-26-2012, 03:48 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
josh...they will fit your 13 perfectly. That's what's on the back of "Slimer", a set of Force 2's...with slightly customized exhaust tips (LOL)

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 05:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom View Post
josh...they will fit your 13 perfectly. That's what's on the back of "Slimer", a set of Force 2's...with slightly customized exhaust tips (LOL)
Lol
Old 12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
I cant stand all this 'polished' crap...SO...I plasti-dipped the outside and grabber green engine painted the inside. Have a look in my pictures

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang