V6 cams? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-25-2012, 01:45 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

I've got BBK LT Headers, X-Pipe, Roush Catback, CAI, BBK Throttle Body, Airaid Throttle Body Spacer, and I just ordered A Tuner, Strut Bar, and J&M Lower Control Arms. I'm getting 3.55 gears next week!
dang you're pretty set man. I decided to do all the appearance mods first and get them out of the way

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:14 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r

dang you're pretty set man. I decided to do all the appearance mods first and get them out of the way
Yea now I want to start appearance with a GT Bumper and Saleen grill, Raxiom Headlights, Switchback turn signals, GT500/Cali spoiler, GT500 Rear Valiance, and some MMD Taillight trim
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 03:17 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea now I want to start appearance with a GT Bumper and Saleen grill, Raxiom Headlights, Switchback turn signals, GT500/Cali spoiler, GT500 Rear Valiance, and some MMD Taillight trim
at the beginning of the year I'm going to redo my whole headlights. people say it's a waste of money but it's what I want lol. I'm getting 5k HIDs and oracle color switch halos. putting clear turn signals in with switchbacks and getting HIDs in the fogs with halos too

2012 V6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2012, 03:21 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

at the beginning of the year I'm going to redo my whole headlights. people say it's a waste of money but it's what I want lol. I'm getting 5k HIDs and oracle color switch halos. putting clear turn signals in with switchbacks and getting HIDs in the fogs with halos too
Yea I wanna get halos but I was like eh raxiom are cool too lol I currently have 6k pure white HID's
Old 11-25-2012, 03:26 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea I wanna get halos but I was like eh raxiom are cool too lol I currently have 6k pure white HID's
it's gonna look so sweet

2012 V6
Old 11-25-2012, 03:41 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

it's gonna look so sweet
The color switching Halo's are freaken awesome my friend has them! They look ****en awesome man
Old 11-25-2012, 03:42 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

The color switching Halo's are freaken awesome my friend has them! They look ****en awesome man
I've seen a blacked out camaro with red halos. it was so kicka$$

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #43
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You may not find a cam manufacturer that will make cams for these V6's due to the variable cam timing this engine has. Based on oil temp, throttle position, and a few other sensors, the cams/valve timing are already changed in this engine. Not sure how much more you can get out of it, cam wise.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:37 AM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
You may not find a cam manufacturer that will make cams for these V6's due to the variable cam timing this engine has. Based on oil temp, throttle position, and a few other sensors, the cams/valve timing are already changed in this engine. Not sure how much more you can get out of it, cam wise.
oh I didn't know that. I was just under the assumption that these engines could produce more. not that 305 at the crank isn't enough for a six, because it's pretty good. I'm just looking for a meaner pull and sound

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 11:49 AM   #45
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Google "TiVCT" which is what Ford is calling the cam/valve adjustable timing. Great piece of engineering to obtain some extra HP.

Also note that this TiVCT setup requires that you use their recommended oil viscosity of 5W-20. You'll notice that the owners manual no longer shows different viscositys for different climates around the world. Used to be you would use 30, or 40 weight oils in warmer climates, lower in cold climates. Now it's 5W-20 for everywhere. The TiVCT setup works off of this as well in the way of oil temps and oil pressure. Some thought that this was just for fuel economy.
Old 11-26-2012, 11:50 AM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why can the new 5.0's get new cams n not us :/ they have twin independent variable cam timing as well? They have multiple manufacturers for cams
Old 11-26-2012, 11:52 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Why can the new 5.0's get new cams n not us :/ they have twin independent variable cam timing as well? They have multiple manufacturers for cams
yeah that's the way I kinda saw it but what this guy is saying is making sense to me

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'm not saying it cannot happen, but rather that perhaps the V6 is at it's limits with valve timing. Not sure, but I'd think that if it were more capable, it would have been done by now, as there are a ton of our beloved 3.7's out there.

Might want to solicite this question to the cam manufacturers web sites. Most have an email account to the sites customer service that could explain why or why not there are none available. It would be a start. Then share their answers here.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Google "TiVCT" which is what Ford is calling the cam/valve adjustable timing. Great piece of engineering to obtain some extra HP.

Also note that this TiVCT setup requires that you use their recommended oil viscosity of 5W-20. You'll notice that the owners manual no longer shows different viscositys for different climates around the world. Used to be you would use 30, or 40 weight oils in warmer climates, lower in cold climates. Now it's 5W-20 for everywhere. The TiVCT setup works off of this as well in the way of oil temps and oil pressure. Some thought that this was just for fuel economy.
I get what your saying and all but yea still iffy on how the 5.0 that have the same type of cams can get aftermarket cams and us V6 owners can't. I honestly think it's just a matter of time.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:01 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I get what your saying and all but yea still iffy on how the 5.0 that have the same type of cams can get aftermarket cams and us V6 owners can't. I honestly think it's just a matter of time.
+1 I think I'm gonna email the manufacturers like he said

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:03 PM   #51
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Both the 5.0 and 3.7 came out at around the same time. I'd think that if the 3.7 could handle more valve timing other than what the TiVCT gives it now, it would have been done.

But the good lord knows I'm no expert here on this. If it can be done, and there's money in it, someone will do it!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #52
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Both the 5.0 and 3.7 came out at around the same time. I'd think that if the 3.7 could handle more valve timing other than what the TiVCT gives it now, it would have been done.

But the good lord knows I'm no expert here on this. If it can be done, and there's money in it, someone will do it!
Hmmm I think it can be done just a matter of time and if the market is right for the manufacturers
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Hmmm I think it can be done just a matter of time and if the market is right for the manufacturers
well if it can be done I'm gonna be waiting in line lol. I'm one of those guys that wants to make a badass, fast, unique six. people always ask why buy a six if you want it fast. I wanna be able to tell an SS driver or a cocky 5.0 owner to line up and get smoked one day.

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:11 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

well if it can be done I'm gonna be waiting in line lol. I'm one of those guys that wants to make a badass, fast, unique six. people always ask why buy a six if you want it fast. I wanna be able to tell an SS driver or a cocky 5.0 owner to line up and get smoked one day.
My friends procharger V6 rapes 5.0's easy lol no one talks **** to us V6 owners at the track anymore hahaha
Old 11-26-2012, 12:14 PM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

My friends procharger V6 rapes 5.0's easy lol no one talks **** to us V6 owners at the track anymore hahaha
hahahaha yes! I can't wait to either charge it or put a turbo on it. which is why I'm starting at the easy side. putting full exhaust on and CAI, then tune it and put a new driveshaft on. you've gotta start somewhere haha

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:16 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

hahahaha yes! I can't wait to either charge it or put a turbo on it. which is why I'm starting at the easy side. putting full exhaust on and CAI, then tune it and put a new driveshaft on. you've gotta start somewhere haha
Yea man start with the supporting mods first then when u can't do anything else.....BAM!!!! FORCED INDUCTION BABY!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 12:17 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yea man start with the supporting mods first then when u can't do anything else.....BAM!!!! FORCED INDUCTION BABY!!!
haha hell yeah I can't wait. if only I had a good 20,000 to spend haha

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #58
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I've been a V6 user for a long time. My first V6 was a 1985 Buick Gran National. Boy do I wish I had that car today. My 2005 F150 is a 4.2 V6. While not a stump puller of the 5.4's of the same time frame, I also do not experience the 5.4's whoes of early 5.4 spark plug breakage, valve knocking issues, etc. And it has over 110K and runs like a dream.
This V6 Mustang is fun! Good engine performance, and an honest 26 MPG to boot (3:31 rear gearing). Maybe I'll own a 5.0 some day, but not now; the V6 is giving me plenty of smiles.
Old 11-26-2012, 12:24 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I've been a V6 user for a long time. My first V6 was a 1985 Buick Gran National. Boy do I wish I had that car today. My 2005 F150 is a 4.2 V6. While not a stump puller of the 5.4's of the same time frame, I also do not experience the 5.4's whoes of early 5.4 spark plug breakage, valve knocking issues, etc. And it has over 110K and runs like a dream.
This V6 Mustang is fun! Good engine performance, and an honest 26 MPG to boot (3:31 rear gearing). Maybe I'll own a 5.0 some day, but not now; the V6 is giving me plenty of smiles.
I'm more then satisfied with my V6 most ppl underestimate my car then I'm gone!!!!
Old 11-26-2012, 01:05 PM   #60
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:

Saving for Hellions turbo setup! 6K plus another 1K install and 4-7 hundred for custom tune!
If you're going to put more than 8psi to the motor you better add a few more grand in motor upgrades and labor to do it.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6

If you're going to put more than 8psi to the motor you better add a few more grand in motor upgrades and labor to do it.
+1

2012 V6
Old 11-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Our motors and internals and trans are rated to handle 500HP I plan on going 450 nothing more so I should be good. Maybe later I will add forged internals
Old 11-26-2012, 02:44 PM   #63
Road Trip!

Quote:

I'm going turbo because it doesn't matter if my engine is hot the turbo works best in the heat, unlike the SC that loses HP to heat. Also I've heard you get better performance results from turbo
That is why procharger builds their kits with an inter cooler. The kit designed for our V6 is inter cooled. Best part there is no lang in power. Installed and tuned will run under $7000.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:48 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That is why procharger builds their kits with an inter cooler. The kit designed for our V6 is inter cooled. Best part there is no lang in power. Installed and tuned will run under $7000.
Yea no lag because the pro charger is always running putting pressure on the motor, a pro charged motor will give out before a turbo charged motor because it kicked in mid 2nd gear
Old 11-26-2012, 02:50 PM   #65
Road Trip!

Quote:

Yea no lag because the pro charger is always running putting pressure on the motor, a pro charged motor will give out before a turbo charged motor because it kicked in mid 2nd gear
If done right the motor should never give out. As long as you do not redline the motor all the time.

Like I said if done right...shelby and Rousch use S/C. They are as reliable as a turbo if set up properly. If S/C were not as reliable and if turbo's are better I think Shelby and Rousch would use turbo's but the lag is what keeps the turbo's out of their cars.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:02 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

If done right the motor should never give out. As long as you do not redline the motor all the time.

Like I said if done right...shelby and Rousch use S/C. They are as reliable as a turbo if set up properly. If S/C were not as reliable and if turbo's are better I think Shelby and Rousch would use turbo's but the lag is what keeps the turbo's out of their cars.
Is that Why ford went for a twin turbo setup then a S/C ? They know the potential that turbos can have. They know you can biggy bank them and see crazy gains like that 4 turbo diesel fox body
Old 11-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #67
Road Trip!

Quote:

Is that Why ford went for a twin turbo setup then a S/C ? They know the potential that turbos can have. They know you can biggy bank them and see crazy gains like that 4 turbo diesel fox body
I'll say this one more time... It is the LAG!!! Beside for street use the inter cooled S/C is best... When your talking all out power than yes turbo's.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'll say this one more time... It is the LAG!!! Beside for street use the inter cooled S/C is best... When your talking all out power than yes turbo's.
Idk man It's personal preference because I've seen two of the same mustangs one turbo and Roush charger and yea there is a lag but that turbo 5.0 still beat the Roush stage 3 by 5/10th so idk it's al up to the driver in the end
Old 11-27-2012, 10:41 AM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
This thread got my Viagra flowing. I would love a aftermarket set of cams. I put a set in my 73 challenger and it made it sound like a big block on steroids. Nothing greater then the chug chug sound of a heavy cam. .
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 10:42 AM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig
This thread got my Viagra flowing. I would love a aftermarket set of cams. I put a set in my 73 challenger and it made it sound like a big block on steroids. Nothing greater then the chug chug sound of a heavy cam. .
+100 same here. I wanna do everything I can to mine

2012 V6

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang