excessive wheelspin? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-26-2012, 10:35 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 30
excessive wheelspin?

i seem to be getting a loot of wheel spin when shifting to second with full throttle (manual trans). is this my shifting? im new to the manual thing iv only had it roughly 3 months. am i shifting too late? or are my tires just not gripping enough? theyre getting sorta low on tread. but its almost always seemed to spin a little much
howsit stangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
TheStig's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 101
Only problem you have is to much horsepower. Ease back on the throttle and you shouldn't light them up.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsit stangin
i seem to be getting a loot of wheel spin when shifting to second with full throttle (manual trans). is this my shifting? im new to the manual thing iv only had it roughly 3 months. am i shifting too late? or are my tires just not gripping enough? theyre getting sorta low on tread. but its almost always seemed to spin a little much
Get a LSD from ford racing
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-26-2012, 10:56 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
ChrisMustangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St.Louis, Missouri
Region: Missouri
Posts: 95
Your tired wont grab because alot of horsepower, cold tires won't grip as much, and regular tires don't grip a lot to begin with.
__________________
-2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium Automatic-
Mods
SLP Loudmouth Axle-back Exhaust
BBK Cold Air Intake
ChrisMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMustangs
Your tired wont grab because alot of horsepower, cold tires won't grip as much, and regular tires don't grip a lot to begin with.
I solved that with wider tires lol 305/40/18 ^_^
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black99Snake's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Region: Colorado
Posts: 433
a little bit of both. if you get a better pair of tires and slow down on the revs you wont have that problem. if your just hard on your car like i am practice shifting and find your sweet spot. may take some time but you will get it down
__________________
1999 Cobra black with medium parchment interiorJLT CAI, RWR motorsports tune, Pacesetter Longtubes, o/r xpipe w/cutouts, Flowmaster Super 44s, built t56, Kevlar clutch, Nitto NT05R, Ford Racing 4.10 gears, MMR 900 rotating assembly, vortech v3 si, twin aeromotive 340s, aeroquip lines, 80lbs injectors
Black99Snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

I solved that with wider tires lol 305/40/18 ^_^
yeah i was thinking of getting 20's on the back and 19as in the front like the gt500. maybe this will help with grip?
howsit stangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:56 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
ChrisMustangs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: St.Louis, Missouri
Region: Missouri
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

I solved that with wider tires lol 305/40/18 ^_^
That's what everyone needs to do better for the car and look freaking sick! Nice size BTW haha!

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Bigger tires will always help grip
__________________
-2011 Mustang 5.0 Premium Automatic-
Mods
SLP Loudmouth Axle-back Exhaust
BBK Cold Air Intake
ChrisMustangs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsit stangin

yeah i was thinking of getting 20's on the back and 19as in the front like the gt500. maybe this will help with grip?
What really helps is the rear wheel size as in width. The larger the width the more traction you get. That's why my 18's are enough cuz I have massive rear tires!

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMustangs

That's what everyone needs to do better for the car and look freaking sick! Nice size BTW haha!

---------- Post added at 11:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:56 AM ----------

Bigger tires will always help grip
Thanks and yea the stang from the rear looks BEAST!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 02:02 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black99Snake
a little bit of both. if you get a better pair of tires and slow down on the revs you wont have that problem. if your just hard on your car like i am practice shifting and find your sweet spot. may take some time but you will get it down
what rpm do you aim for? cuz i generally shoot for around 6700 ish and that may be the issue
howsit stangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:02 PM   #11
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Do you have the performance package? If so, is the advancetrac/stability enhancement system off? Page 205 of my 2011 owners manual states (in brief):

ADVANCETRAC STABILITY ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM
Your vehicle is equipped with the AdvanceTrac system. The
AdvanceTrac system provides the following stability enhancement
features for certain driving situations:
• Traction control system (TCS), which functions to help avoid
drive-wheel spin and loss of traction.
• Electronic stability control (ESC), which functions to help avoid skids
or lateral slides
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
Do you have the performance package? If so, is the advancetrac/stability enhancement system off? Page 205 of my 2011 owners manual states (in brief):

ADVANCETRAC STABILITY ENHANCEMENT SYSTEM
Your vehicle is equipped with the AdvanceTrac system. The
AdvanceTrac system provides the following stability enhancement
features for certain driving situations:
• Traction control system (TCS), which functions to help avoid
drive-wheel spin and loss of traction.
• Electronic stability control (ESC), which functions to help avoid skids
or lateral slides
no i have the club of america edition. theres not much difference though is there?
howsit stangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:25 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Would it be that as you shift you let go of the gas a tad bit and reduces the movement of the tire as you shift and wheb you get it to gear theres too much movement from the engine and trans compared to the tires? I mine wheelspins from wot when I reduce the gas pedal between shift but not when I power shift? Idk
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: California
Posts: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1
Would it be that as you shift you let go of the gas a tad bit and reduces the movement of the tire as you shift and wheb you get it to gear theres too much movement from the engine and trans compared to the tires? I mine wheelspins from wot when I reduce the gas pedal between shift but not when I power shift? Idk
i think you might be right. as apposed to letting go of the gas while shifting what are you supposed to do?
howsit stangin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 04:40 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by howsit stangin

i think you might be right. as apposed to letting go of the gas while shifting what are you supposed to do?
Power clutch lol if done right it is better. But if you are going on a road course I doubt youd be going wot then letting go a tad bit then wot youll be on the ditch if you try that.... different shifting for different environments just depends on the driver to know what he is doing.
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:55 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.