Bbk cai - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Bbk cai

Anyone have problems with what I guess is fender/dash rattle on their cai? It was fine for 3 months now it makes a harmonic rattle only at just over 1k rpms. So basically when you are driving in traffic or on a road with a 30mph speed zone. I took it to ford to see what it was and they said it was the intake vibrating. They were correct and said they fixed the problem but their fix lasted a day. I took off the filter and retightened things and that lasted a day before it came back.
I've contacted bbk and they are stumped as well. I can't find any points of contact so I am stumped.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
It may be the 2 pins that hang down on the bottom of the intake that are supposed to hold it to the fender
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #3
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20 View Post
Anyone have problems with what I guess is fender/dash rattle on their cai? It was fine for 3 months now it makes a harmonic rattle only at just over 1k rpms. So basically when you are driving in traffic or on a road with a 30mph speed zone. I took it to ford to see what it was and they said it was the intake vibrating. They were correct and said they fixed the problem but their fix lasted a day. I took off the filter and retightened things and that lasted a day before it came back.
I've contacted bbk and they are stumped as well. I can't find any points of contact so I am stumped.
JAC20,

I actually haven't heard of anyone else have this problem with the 11+ BBK intakes. I do agree that it may be the pins that hold the intake to the fender. Try inserting small pieces of rubber as wedges anywhere this is tight clearances with the fender metal. This should at least help you find the exact spot causing the vibration, just make sure you install one piece at a time, then test.

I'll let you know if I hear of anyone else having this issue and find the route contact causing vibration. Good luck!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2012, 04:16 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Shane. Will do. I've exhausted every option I could think of. It's now to the point where the car has to be moving to replicate it and its not as bad as it once was. So that is some improvement.

And it's only at 1-1200 rpms or now so I guess the easy fix is to never "floor" it.

I'll see if I can find a rubber piece and try to isolate it. Maybe over Christmas break when I'll have some time and some other options to help.
Old 11-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Should there be any give in it? As in I can lift up and it gives a bit? The end of the filter is touching the heat shield. It's seems tone resting at the very end as if its designed that way.

I'm grasping at straws because I've tried all suggestions now.

I'm about to throw the stock back on and sell it for cheap.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai