Maintenance Question 2012 3.7 V6 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 11-29-2012, 03:23 PM   #1
Region: New Jersey
Maintenance Question 2012 3.7 V6

So my stang has about 33K miles on it already and I am wondering about maintenance. After doing some reading I come to find out it is recommended I inspect a slew of things every few thousand miles which I honestly do not know how to check everything.

So my question is this ...

1. When would be a realistic time to look at replacing tires..
2. Fluids - which ones should I be checking and are there any I should look out for more to go dry or dirty more than others (aside from oil)

I did the CAI so Im ok there and Im about to replace the cabin filter.

I guess what Im asking is what items should I really be "looking out for" or trying to get ahead of for maintenance now and in the next 25-50K miles.

Any help is appreciated!

justinmg77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 05:47 PM   #2
Registered Member
Region: Florida
Most new cars come with a matnance plan already. My car was a CPO and I payed a little extra for warranty/matnance. If I remember correctly, it gave me a full inspection and covered all belts and fluids that need replacing every 22k I think. Honestly, Your best bet is that little book that came in your glove box. It holds the answers you seek. Generally, I would look for worn belts (if the metal band is showing or braiding is loose, it's bad), make sure break fluid is top'd off (I mark my break fluid level on the bottle, less fluid means you have a leak), check radiator fluid, all washer fluids, oil level, trans fluid check (burnt smell bad), break pads, tire tread, all signals and lights, check AC and recharge of needed, new air filters as needed, battery check.... You get the picture.

"Turn the mic back on" -Winston Churchill
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #3

Region: Florida
If you go by the manufacturers warranty, the fluid changes are longer in duration than the "old school" recomendations. When My V6 reached 32K, I had the automatic transmission flushed (including a pan drop and filter replacement). Why? First, I bought the car (not a lease). Second, I drive unfortuneatly in a lot of stop and go traffic in the afternoon rush hours. This puts a beating on the automatic transmission. If my Mustang were a lease, I'd follow their recomendations, as the car would be returned (lease expiration) well before some of their fluid recommendations schedule. My rear end fluid gets changed this weekend (I just hit the 35K mileage reading).

As far as engine oil, I change it at either 4K or 7K, depending on if I used semi synthetic or full synthetic. If full synthetic is on sale, I buy it and use it, and run it to 7K.

Yes, you can switch back and forth with no ill effects; lots of mis-informed myths out there. If you use full synthetic and change your oil every 3 to 4K, then your wasting your money; switch to semi synthetic for that typ of schedule. In any event, stick with a Motorcraft oil filter; best one out there.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang