V6 driveshafts - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-28-2016, 12:23 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I'm just starting to mod my V6. I'm getting a Steeda Intake, Diablosport Trinity T-1000 tuner, and Borla ATAKs to start. Having a tune is a huge concern, as two years ago when my mustang was fairly new I maxed it out at 113. That's ridiculous. But while I want it to have a higher top speed, I don't think that driveshaft will last long past about 125. Upgrading a driveshaft is something I want to do, but my friend who knows just about everything about Mustangs has taken his '07 V6 up to 140 and has had no issues. I think with the driveshaft it's more of an inconsistent manufacture than a constant "your driveshaft WILL break" kind of thing.

Sorry this is a lot but with all of this being said, I would say upgrading the driveshaft is something that is HIGHLY recommended, but not required, to go past 113.
jsalmon.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 12:45 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I've said in other post I've had my mustang up to 150 multiple times I maxed it out at 155. I can honestly say I drive past 130 2-3xs per week. I have had my mustang for 3 years and I have never had a problem. Personally I think it's an inconsistency also, or I just have a beefy driveshaft.

2013 mustang v6 premium package
Powder coated gold metallic wheels
Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Chris44117 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 01:06 PM   #38
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I have one from the Axle Exchange and it is not only stronger but it is lighter. Lighter means less rotating weight and stronger means no worries.

My car is a 2012 and they say a change was made in the later 2013's on the V6 drive shafts.
I do not regret one bit about spending the $$$$ for a aluminum drive shaft.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-28-2016, 01:30 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris44117 View Post
I've said in other post I've had my mustang up to 150 multiple times I maxed it out at 155. I can honestly say I drive past 130 2-3xs per week. I have had my mustang for 3 years and I have never had a problem. Personally I think it's an inconsistency also, or I just have a beefy driveshaft.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1

Wow man that's insane that you do that twice to three times a week on the stock driveshaft. I can just see me getting mine up barely past 130 and it just shattering and falling apart and me having to pay for thousands of dollars worth of damage because I voided hella warranties for having an aftermarket tune installed
jsalmon.17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsalmon.17 View Post
Wow man that's insane that you do that twice to three times a week on the stock driveshaft. I can just see me getting mine up barely past 130 and it just shattering and falling apart and me having to pay for thousands of dollars worth of damage because I voided hella warranties for having an aftermarket tune installed

WOW MAN!! I think it's insane he goes that fast two or three times a week period. Unless he is on the track.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 03:51 PM   #41
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I may be wrong, but I think someone needs to get their speedometer looked at.
Ronnie
Old 01-28-2016, 04:03 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Well at this point I believe it's called hearsay.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 04:14 PM   #43
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Region: Alaska
Quote:

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Wow. You go to the track quite a bit.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 05:41 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
Well at this point I believe it's called hearsay.

Exactly I could be talking out of my *** or I could be telling the truth but we will know come Saturday and this with 2.73 gears.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-28-2016, 05:55 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Exactly I could be talking out of my *** or I could be telling the truth but we will know come Saturday and this with 2.73 gears.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
I don't disbelieve what you say(I've heard of others that have done it) but none-the-less it's still hearsay. particularly for anyone considering removing their speed limiter without replacing DS.
The 2.73 gears are actually in your favor for both top speed and for slowest drive shaft RPM at that speed.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 06:49 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diehard View Post
I don't disbelieve what you say(I've heard of others that have done it) but none-the-less it's still hearsay. particularly for anyone considering removing their speed limiter without replacing DS.

The 2.73 gears are actually in your favor for both top speed and for slowest drive shaft RPM at that speed.

Exactly that's why I don't understand the guy that says I need to get my speedo checked out. Idk, I'm a firm believer in don't knock it until you try it but like I said I don't condone driving at those speeds.

Bama tune
Quarter window louvers
2.73 gears manual

2008 fz1
Old 01-28-2016, 07:13 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
So does anyone know what the percentage is as to how many driveshaft failures happened to the 3,7s? It seems the only time you here about them blowing up is when someone has a question about a driveshaft.Not trying to sound like it doesn't happen but you don't really see it posted on here or other forums about peoples driveshafts blowing up .Also most of us on here I'm sure drive our cars daily and don't really beat on them and stay within the speed limit . So no disrespect to you guys who got the one piece shafts but if you don't track it or beat on it the stock shafts will be fine ..Its like if you abuse a engine and take it to the limit it's going to break sooner or later.
jek57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 07:33 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Realistically? Probably well under 1% of 3.7 produced have or will experience a driveshaft failure when not going ludicrous speed.

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2016, 07:54 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Chris44117

I apologize. Didn't mean to make it sound like I was picking on you. Just shocked that someone has a safe place to be able to drive that fast that often.
oxfordwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:04 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
The whole drive shaft scare was way overblown back a few years ago. Yes, the ONE piece ds that comes stock on 2011-2014 stangs is a POS, but for many it has held up well. I myself haven't had any high speed issues, but still will replace it for peace of mind since i'm lowered. It's kind of hilarious reading back at the original posts and all the miss information posted.
The reason for failures, both at high speeds and on the dyno was found to be caused by poor pinion angle. Since the v6 uses a 1 piece unit with a slip joint in the middle it's incapable of correcting/adapting the pinion angle once you lower your car (even mildly). That's why for V6 owners its super important to get an adjustable UCA to correct it. The GT uses a true two piece unit with a carrier bearing in the middle that is better able to adjust to changes in the pinion angle.
***V6 Newbs: Important, Read this***
If you are lowered and have bought an Axle exchange or other one piece drive shaft the same applies to you. You'll want a UCA to fix the pinion angle since they DO NOT have the ability too (like the stock unit). The only one currently being sold that doesn't require a UCA is the DSS drive shaft since it has a CV joint at the end that automatically adjusts. To be clear, if you're at stock ride height or slightly dropped (1.5" or less) you will probably be in spec so buying a UCA would only be piece of mind, but still helps plant the car to the ground.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:31 PM   #51
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I found some pictures to add

First I gotta say that 150 Plus MPH is possible with the proper conditions with a 3.7 V6 automatic and a 2,73 ratio rear differential.
You do have to eliminate the rev limiter.
From 130 to the 150 will take a while because of increased wind resistance but it will do it.
At 150 MPH you will be doing just around 5,500 RPM in top gear with the automatic.

But remember this: If that stock drive shaft is the early one. It is Heavy and possibly could come apart. A real tragedy if it does.
If your going to continually doing really high speed driving it would be in your best interest to get a good aluminum drive shaft and to really be safe, Get a drive shaft loop installed too.

I notice on these forums that some of the 2011 2012 stock drive shafts weigh in at around 27 pounds and some like mine are at 41 pounds. Ford must get them from a couple different sources. Mine even has a sticker on it from Ford that say's Scrap if dropped. DUH !
I'll see if I can find the pictures of mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scrap if dropped.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	505.2 KB
ID:	196339   Click image for larger version

Name:	Full picture.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	465.1 KB
ID:	196340  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Full Scale.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	455.5 KB
ID:	196341  
Old 01-28-2016, 09:51 PM   #52
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Paintman1111 is right --BUT--

What needs to be done if you lower any Mustang no matter what drive shaft you have is to get a good quality adjustable Panhard bar and measure the pinion angle.

2010-2014 Mustang Panhard Bars | AmericanMuscle | Free Shipping

Of course I'm not talking 2015 or 2016

I have the Axle exchange on my 3.7 V6 and it is as smooth as it can be, No vibration, No Noise -It fit perfect.

Do a search and if I remember it right -The Drive Shaft Shop is one that had the most complaints about Noise, and Vibration.
Maybe some of you that have them can chime in.
I don't have that brand so I really only can go by what I remember reading a while back.
Ronnie
Old 01-28-2016, 10:02 PM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Go with the Axle Exchange one piece aluminum driveshaft and be done with it.

Non 🍼and non 🌽fed. I $uck!
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:55 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
I believe they did have a very brief issue from drive shafts making vibrations, but they offered to re-balance for free.
paintmann111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 01:05 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Oklahoma
The Ford V6 driveshaft was adapted from the Ranger and is very stout. However, it should be noted that the problem as I understand it, is the harmonic resonance at high RPMs will tear it apart. One of the aftermarket aluminum driveshafts had the same issue until they moved a weld point. Since the 2.73 gears will cause lower shaft RPMs, it should be safer for higher speeds, but Ford is not about to take any chances if you decide to put 3.31 factory gears in. Anything else is non-factory, and they are off the hook. Aluminum driveshafts are normally safer and smoother running than stock units. BTW, pre-2011 driveshafts are totally different animals.
Bear376 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang