V6 driveshafts - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-02-2012, 03:59 PM   #1

Region: Tennessee
V6 driveshafts

I have made changes to my 2013 roush v6. Changes exhaust to MagnaFlow, also changed settings on computer using JLT CAI & BAMA SF3 Tuner. Changed rear end gears to 3.73 gears. Will be going on a dyno.....My question is:
I heard that mustang drive shaft has a problem at high speeds, does anyone know or have information on drive shaft?
coach4847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 07:15 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by coach4847 View Post
I have made changes to my 2013 roush v6. Changes exhaust to MagnaFlow, also changed settings on computer using JLT CAI & BAMA SF3 Tuner. Changed rear end gears to 3.73 gears. Will be going on a dyno.....My question is:
I heard that mustang drive shaft has a problem at high speeds, does anyone know or have information on drive shaft?
Don't go faster then 130mph because at 135-136 the drive shafts blows up literally and ****ed up ur trany, ebrake and other ****.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 10:31 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dont dyno it until you get a driveshaft its not worth dealing with the damage. I order mine a week ago should be coming in this week
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2012, 10:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1 View Post

Dont dyno it until you get a driveshaft its not worth dealing with the damage. I order mine a week ago should be coming in this week
He doesn't have to worry anyways the car has the built in limiter, it won't allow him to go passed 120
Old 12-02-2012, 11:20 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

He doesn't have to worry anyways the car has the built in limiter, it won't allow him to go passed 120
What if he took the limiter off?
Old 12-02-2012, 11:25 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

He has no tune remember he doesn't have a tuner to take it off
Old 12-03-2012, 12:43 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
+1
Old 12-03-2012, 06:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
He clearly stated that he made adjustments to his computer with his Bama SF3. Even if he didn't have a custom tune made yet he could still remove his speed limiter if he knows how to do it.

Anyways, I have herd that your drive shaft go's at between 120 and 130. In all reality, speed has less to do with it than you might think. Your drive shaft is going to snap because of excessive torque at high speed plus the added force of high wind resistance. With a roush mustang and 3.73 gears you are putting down more power and torque than allot of other people. Meaning that you could snap the drive shaft just about any time you have extended wot. You probably don't need to worry about it in your day to day drive but if you plan on going to the track where you could legally go that fast then I would get that new drive shaft on there as soon as I could. I would also say get it on there before a tune, I don't think I need to tell you how horrible and dangerous it could be if you drive shaft blew on a dyno.
Old 12-03-2012, 07:57 AM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Don't believe us just look at this.

Click here:

They can also blow up on a dyno:

Click here:

Since your car is a 2013 Roush you may already have a better drive shaft that will not break. You need to get your car on a lift and look at it. If it looks like this: you need to replace it.

I would think that the first thing Roush would do is replace the crappy two piece drive shaft with something that would take some abuse. After all, The Roush is a performance car and not just A normal V6 mustang.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Ya get the DS first. Risk of damage, safety and also you will get the most out of the dyno run as the DS will free up rotational mass which is good for a little HP and Tq.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:48 AM   #11
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
coach4847,

As far as I know, the 2013 Roush v6 still has the standard v6 two piece drive-shaft. I know these guys already mentioned this several times, but you should really look into an upgraded one-piece aluminum drive-shaft before the Dyno run. With the Bama SF3 tuner, you'll still have a speed limiter of 128mph, but keep in mind excessive stress on the DS can still allow it to fail, even under 135mph. Clearly, you're interested in performance and aggressive driving (hence the Roush), so a drive-shaft upgrade is a wise choice!

Hope this helps your decision in upgrading. If there's anything else I can do, just let me know!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #12

Thank you for all the input.....that's what I thought. A one piece aluminum drive shaft is the way to go.
Old 12-03-2012, 06:49 PM   #13

Does anyone have a suggestions on what brand?
Old 12-03-2012, 08:04 PM   #14
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Click here:

Click here:

Since your car is a 2013 Roush you may already have a better drive shaft that will not break. You need to get your car on a lift and look at it. If it looks like this: you need to replace it.

I would think that the first thing Roush would do is replace the crappy two piece drive shaft with something that would take some abuse. After all, The Roush is a performance car and not just A normal V6 mustang.

Ronnie
Is that the 3.7 driveshaft for 2011-12? I was under the car the other day and my 2013 doesn't look at all like that. It looks more like the Shaftmasters I had on my 2006, one solid piece without the center joint, and a slip joint on one end.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 09:15 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Yes this is the 2011/2012 drive shaft

I'm pretty sure that Ford does not use these crappy dangerous things on the 2013. It is good to look though to see if you have a 2013 to be certain that the Mustang you have has the one piece shaft.

I'm guessing some early 13's still use the two piece. Ford sure ain't gonna toss out any leftovers.

I wonder if the 2012 and 2013 drive shafts are interchangeable.
Ronnie
Old 12-04-2012, 05:57 AM   #16
Registered Member

Regular

Thanks Ronnie - I almost bought a new driveshaft as soon as I bought the car, but put it off. Then had a chance to get the car on a lift last weekend and check it out. Noticed the one piece driveshaft and wondered if that was a change from 2011-12
Old 12-04-2012, 06:04 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I believe the change in driveshafts in 2013 plays in with selling the Mustang overseas. They would never hold up on the autoban (European highway speeds), so the driveshaft was changed out to support the sales over there. I'm guessing too that the top speed has increased as well.
Old 12-04-2012, 08:18 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

But the real question is this, who wants to be the lab rat to take off the limiter and run it on a dyno or something?
Old 12-04-2012, 09:29 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I'm the guy. I've got a 2013 and I'm just trying to set $$$ aside for some parts. I'll be going to the track this spring. Could've had a nice bolt on list started if I didn't have to buy snows right away.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Bucko

I don't think it has as much to do with exporting as it has to do with Ford spending a heck of A lot of $$$$ on repairing the cars when the drive shafts let loose. It is A wonder that someone has not lost A leg or worse. I guess we will never know how many of these stupid idiot designed two piece drive shafts have already failed at a normal 75/85 miles per hour.(What the hell were they thinking?????)

Ronnie
Old 12-05-2012, 07:10 PM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I guess Roush V6 is just different stickers Etc.

I E-Mailed Roush and here is the reply:
Quote:
Ronald,

Thanks for contacting ROUSH Performance.

The v6 package from ROUSH performance is a strictly cosmetic package. We do not do anything for the driveline.

Thank You,
ROUSH Performance Products
Customer Service
39555 Schoolcraft Rd.
Plymouth, MI 48170
Phone: 800-59-ROUSH
I asked about if they replaced the drive shafts.

Ronnie
Old 12-05-2012, 08:09 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Does anyone have a suggestions on what brand?

Drive shaft shop one if you get it from lethal performance they have a day for them 10 percent off
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 08:44 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
I don't think it has as much to do with exporting as it has to do with Ford spending a heck of A lot of $$$$ on repairing the cars when the drive shafts let loose. It is A wonder that someone has not lost A leg or worse. I guess we will never know how many of these stupid idiot designed two piece drive shafts have already failed at a normal 75/85 miles per hour.(What the hell were they thinking?????)

Ronnie
I agree but have never heard of a failure at those speeds. I sure dont like the clunk when putting my auto in gear or at low speeds.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:04 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Click here:

Click here:

Ronnie
I think it was already mentioned, but the RS does not have a different drive shaft. If anyone replaces a 2013 v6 driveshaft, I want to buy it.

There isn't too much different on the RS, a lot is optional. But Roush doesn't offer a different driveshaft, at least they haven't when I was there.

Edit:

Just saw your e mail with them, lol, whoops. Although they do have options for cold air induction and suspension, and axle backs, but maybe they meant as for the base price (25ish).

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

I agree but have never heard of a failure at those speeds. I sure dont like the clunk when putting my auto in gear or at low speeds.
Do you get a sudden thud or bump from time to time in the rear end area. Kinda feels like a loud clunk. Yes you read that right
Old 12-05-2012, 11:19 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Do you get a sudden thud or bump from time to time in the rear end area. Kinda feels like a loud clunk. Yes you read that right
Its not loud but it is a clunk. Stopping at a light when I almost come to a stop it feels like someone tapped the rear bumper with their car. Im sure its this stupid driveshaft but normal for what its worth. I understand what people are saying about Ford not being responsible but its a piss poor design and they know it. Otherwise they wouldnt have changed it for 2013. They speed limited the car due to the poor design. Both the family's Flex and Fiesta have a higher limit and neither are as safe at top speed as the Mustang is.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:41 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
Ford is not responsible for the damage to the car or you because you broke the law; driving your Mustang over posted speed limits and causing damage is not their responsibility. This is why they put the speed limiter into the PCM. If you choose to remove/tamper/alter it with a tune, then that will void any warranty and any liability of Ford to you. There are no reports of driveshaft failures that I'm aware of when folks drive them at or below the top speed limiter that Ford has programed the car for.
Old 12-06-2012, 07:44 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
Ford is not responsible for the damage to the car or you because you broke the law; driving your Mustang over posted speed limits and causing damage is not their responsibility. This is why they put the speed limiter into the PCM. If you choose to remove/tamper/alter it with a tune, then that will void any warranty and any liability of Ford to you. There are no reports of driveshaft failures that I'm aware of when folks drive them at or below the top speed limiter that Ford has programed the car for.
+1

I have not heard of any issue with the drive shaft under normal (not tuned) use.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 08:14 PM   #29
Registered Member

Regular

I had to stop by the Ford dealer today (took wife's Lincoln in for oil change since they do it free on the Lincoln) so I walked over to the parts department. Asked the guy to order me something that I want for my car, and then asked him if he could do me favor and check the part numbers for the driveshaft.

Different part numbers for 2011-12 and the 2013; pictures showed the difference as well. He said that it also said that the 2013 shaft isn't available yet for anyone who wanted to get the new style so he couldn't get a price to see what the difference was. I didn't ask him if the old style was still being stocked and sold.
Old 12-15-2012, 09:25 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post

Its not loud but it is a clunk. Stopping at a light when I almost come to a stop it feels like someone tapped the rear bumper with their car. Im sure its this stupid driveshaft but normal for what its worth. I understand what people are saying about Ford not being responsible but its a piss poor design and they know it. Otherwise they wouldnt have changed it for 2013. They speed limited the car due to the poor design. Both the family's Flex and Fiesta have a higher limit and neither are as safe at top speed as the Mustang is.
All this time I thought it was my transmission shifting funny. I'm gonna save up for a one piece then.

---------- Post added at 09:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:23 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

+1

I have not heard of any issue with the drive shaft under normal (not tuned) use.
Wasn't there a GT guy on here that snapped his going like 65 because he kept putting to much power down all the time? Idk what his name is but he drives a black GT and has a new haft and tranny that ran him around $4,000.
Old 12-15-2012, 11:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
he's got 3.73 gears, the driveshaft will be spinning faster anyways.
i don't think you should do it without getting a new dshaft first.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:00 PM   #32

Thank you, American muscle now Carries the one piece aluminum drive shaft for the 2013
Old 12-16-2012, 11:10 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

he's got 3.73 gears, the driveshaft will be spinning faster anyways.
i don't think you should do it without getting a new dshaft first.
I'm getting all my upgrades except the CAI and tune so I can get a roush or one that needs a tune so I can tie it all in. I have no warranty, but no mod money saved up.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:17 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Actually they are. If you take your car to a track and it snaps, they're responsible, if you speed and it snaps, they are still responsible. It doesn't matter weather you are breaking the law or not, if a product that you purchased fails on you and causes injury or damage, the manufacture is responsible, which is why they have a speed governor on it. Now, if you take the governor off, then speed and break it, that's on you.
mrkrabz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 04:26 PM   #35
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
You can dyno but only in 3rd gear with the stock drive shaft. Your result will be fine in 3rd. Dyno's are based off RPM and not speed. You do a dyno before mods in 3rd gear and dyno after to see what your gain is.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang