Shifting auto? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-03-2012, 09:37 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Shifting auto?

Hat happens of you shift from 1 to D while driving I've heard mixed stories I don't want my transmission breaking at like 60k miles and what happens if you just drive around normally in a lower gear? And what exactly are the point of the lower gears towing? In a mustang? Haha
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 10:19 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Nothing bad to my knowledge , I also believe the gears are for going up steep hills and towing.
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2012, 10:37 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
Hat happens of you shift from 1 to D while driving I've heard mixed stories I don't want my transmission breaking at like 60k miles and what happens if you just drive around normally in a lower gear? And what exactly are the point of the lower gears towing? In a mustang? Haha
Towing capacity is 1000 ibs. I wouldnt tow anything with my Mustang. Lower gears are for anything those gears would be for in a manual. Going up hill, downhill, twistys, engine breaking, holding gear longer ( although it will shift itself before redline i believe). The manual will tell you what Ford said you can use each gear for such as ice or stuck in mud. But its incomplete as they didnt expect manual shifting. Since the 2013 change to manual shifting the auto thru all the gears that owners manual is more detailed. You can shift yours 123D. Harder on the tranny? Probably but Im not too concerned about it as the trans are well built. Quick example. Here in Calif getting on the freeway can take some quick maneuvers. So I might hold the gear in second keeping the rpms at 3k so when Im ready to punch it I can do so without that time lag to downshift.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-03-2012, 11:17 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
But in my 1-2-3. It only goes so far. I was in 3rd by accident and the car wouldn't get past 2.5k rpm. I didn't get past 35mph. But these gears are for certain situations. IMO if you want to freely shift, get a manual.
Old 12-03-2012, 03:58 PM   #5
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
My 2011 owners manual states (for recommended shift points in an automatic):

D (Drive) with grade assist
Press the transmission control
switch on the side of the shift
handle to activate grade assist.
• This position allows for all
forward gears and provides
increased engine braking.
• Grade assist lamp is illuminated.
• Use with driving conditions such
as hilly terrain, heavy loads,
trailer towing and when engine
braking is required.
• To return to standard mode, press the transmission control switch.
The grade assist lamp will not be illuminated.
• Standard mode is automatically returned each time the key is turned
off.
3 (Third)
This position allows for third gear only.
• Provides engine braking.
• To return to D (Drive), move the transmission shift lever into the D
(Drive) position.
• Selecting 3 (Third) at higher speeds will cause the transmission to
downshift to third gear at the appropriate vehicle speed.
Driving
2 (Second)
This position allows for second gear only.
• Provides engine braking.
• Use to start-up on slippery roads.
• To return to D (Drive) without overdrive or 3 (Third), move the
transmission shift lever into the D (Drive) or 3 (Third) position.
• Selecting 2 (Second) at higher speeds will cause the transmission to
downshift to second gear at the appropriate vehicle speed.
1 (First)
This position allows for first gear only.
• Provides maximum engine braking.
• Will not downshift into first gear at high speeds; will cause the
transmission to downshift to a lower gear, then allows for first gear
when the vehicle reaches slower speeds.
Forced downshifts
• Allowed in D (Drive).
• Press the accelerator to the floor.
• Allows transmission to select an appropriate gear.
Old 01-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
But in my 1-2-3. It only goes so far. I was in 3rd by accident and the car wouldn't get past 2.5k rpm. I didn't get past 35mph. But these gears are for certain situations. IMO if you want to freely shift, get a manual.
Then something IS wrong with your tranny. Tomorrow I will run mine through the gears and let you know the outcome.
And thanks Bucko my 2012 manual says the same thing. Keep in mind it's only a guideline. For example if you only used second gear to start up on slippery roads they wouldn't say: provides engine breaking. And you've probably noticed by now you don't have to push the pedal to the floor to force a downshift. I suggest everyone read the 2013 model sport mode section in order to understand your 11/12 tranny better.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Im not going to lie, I drive around all the time blowing thru 1-2-3. I can hold gear up to red line but usually shift just before. Im pretty sure the rev limiter will just bounce if I dont shift in 1st and 2nd, not 100% on that. My trany will even shifts a little harder at WOT (wide open throttle). I think 3rd will shift to 4 on it's own though, then i shift to D and can continue to 6th. I will also have grade assist turned on the whole time if that makes a difference but I dont think it really does. Im sure I have shifted from 1st to D, my trany just disengages for a second (the equivalent of a manual applying clutch), then shift to whatever gear fits my speed.

im in a 2012 auto

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

I can defiantly pull off the line in third and accelerate all the way to red line
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Im not going to lie, I drive around all the time blowing thru 1-2-3. I can hold gear up to red line but usually shift just before. Im pretty sure the rev limiter will just bounce if I dont shift in 1st and 2nd, not 100% on that. My trany will even shifts a little harder at WOT (wide open throttle). I think 3rd will shift to 4 on it's own though, then i shift to D and can continue to 6th. I will also have grade assist turned on the whole time if that makes a difference but I dont think it really does. Im sure I have shifted from 1st to D, my trany just disengages for a second (the equivalent of a manual applying clutch), then shift to whatever gear fits my speed.

im in a 2012 auto

---------- Post added at 08:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:24 PM ----------

I can defiantly pull off the line in third and accelerate all the way to red line
Thanks now that's how our tranny should work. Grade assist won't do anything in 123 but once you go to D it will hold 4&5 longer. Leave grade assist on in D and its just like Sport mode in the 13s as long as they aren't manually shifting. The only difference is ours locks out 6th gear and the 13s don't. I"m also finding that when I drive around in grade assist that it shifts more aggressively when in normal mode.
Old 01-04-2013, 07:35 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I've never really pushed my tranny to any sort of strain. So my experience is limited. I don't have the money to replace it so I won't go around abusing it. 123-D and the grade assist and such maybe cool an all but if it says D, then drive. If it has a third pedal, learn to start rowing.

We have been over this before but, to me the grade assist will hold your gears out but when coming to a stop the gears hang. That's wasting precious gas. Sport mode you can go up or down as you please to redline, I've tried in grade assist, no go. Plus in sport mode it won't hang up on the gears. 10mph @2.5 rpm for example. It's cool that they are similar but they aren't the exact same.
Old 01-05-2013, 02:38 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I've never really pushed my tranny to any sort of strain. So my experience is limited. I don't have the money to replace it so I won't go around abusing it. 123-D and the grade assist and such maybe cool an all but if it says D, then drive. If it has a third pedal, learn to start rowing.

We have been over this before but, to me the grade assist will hold your gears out but when coming to a stop the gears hang. That's wasting precious gas. Sport mode you can go up or down as you please to redline, I've tried in grade assist, no go. Plus in sport mode it won't hang up on the gears. 10mph @2.5 rpm for example. It's cool that they are similar but they aren't the exact same.
No idea what you are talking about. Other than the ability to go up and down as you say, they are the same. Sport Mode has two functions. The ability to manually go up and down AND the ability to just leave it in S and just drive it with with longer gear holds and engine breaking exactly like Grade Assist. In S Mode you CAN just drive it wether it says D or not. My 96 Taurus says D and D with a circle around it. Guess what? You can drive it in both. One is overdrive mode just like our Mustangs D. The other is much like Grade Assist. And there is no gear hang in Grade Assist on our Mustangs only engine breaking. In Grade Assist or not, when your foot is off the gas the gas is shut off in these cars so you've wasted no gasoline. I find little difference in mileage either way. The transmissions are identical in all aspects other than these mentioned differences. Really no difference in tranny's only how they are set up. I've driven many third pedals over the years and can do so as well as or better than most. If you're going to drive an automatic trans learn how to use it.
Weren't you the guy who said his automatic won't go over 3500 rpm in 1st or 2nd? And it makes clunking noises? Seems to me something is wrong with your car. Grade assist as well as shifting 123 will hold to redline if your foots to the floor. Of course with my 3:31 rear end in 3rd I'd be bouncing off the speed limiter or close to it. Just because you don't have a clutch should not dictate wether you can manually shift it or not. Heck even our Fiesta has two clutches and no 3rd pedal. You should feel the Sport Mode in that little bugger.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang