Mpg loss? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2012, 08:35 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
I am amazed to see the low MPGs you guys are getting. I average 29.6 MPGs in my 2012 with AT and 2.73 since April (that's when I started logging every fill up). I put on Magnaflow Comps (my only mod) 2 months ago an my mileage didn't change at all. When I travel straight hi-way I will pull down 35 all day.

Now mind you that I don't have a heavy right foot, religiously use cruise control and accelerate keeping RPMs under 2500. I will on occasions drop the hammer but that is not the norm. My driving is mostly flat roads with an occasional bridge thrown in. I only use 87 octane and I alwys get gas from the same station, and its not from a major brand. I actually have mo idea what company the gas comes from. I keep my air filter clean, tires at 35 psi, car free of dead weight and put some chevron techron fuel system cleaner in at every oil change. I have almost 50K miles on her already, so I drive a lot.

If you can't at least get the MPGs that was advertised on the window sticker, take a very close and critical look at your driving style/habits.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 09:31 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I get 26-27 mixed, and around 32 highway. This is with me getting on it a decent amount, I don't baby it every second.

During the winter due to warm up times and the change in fuels at gas stations, I've lost about 1-2mpg in the city. Every car I've owned has done the same thing in the winter.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
So you guys seriously think that constantly maintaining an exact speed is more efficient than building momentum, letting excess momentum dissipate while coasting while going uphill, and then efficiently building more speed back up?

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
So you guys seriously think that constantly maintaining an exact speed is more efficient than building momentum, letting excess momentum dissipate while coasting while going uphill, and then efficiently building more speed back up?
Hi UltArc, your signature line took me to your mileage charts which were very interesting to me.

I have been used to the concepts of EcoDriving for several decades now when needed. My previous 3-Season daily driver was a 2007 Pontiac Pursuit [G5] with 2.2 Eco motor rated at 31 EPA hi-way.

I could get 34.5mpg Hi-way with it driving from NW Ohio to Mid-Kentucky on NW Ohio Gas. Putting about 1/2 of a tank of Kentucky gas in it I could get to Huntsville with 37.5mpg. (I75-I71-I65, hills and curves at many points) This was with pump math, as the computer would over estimate and say I got 39mpg instead of 37.5. This is averaging 75mph.

In July 2012, I purchased a new 3-Season daily driver. I got a 2013 Mustang V6 Premium with 2.73 gears hoping to get at least 31mpg on my Hi-way trips, and still have 300+hpr in a great looking, performing, and driving car around local. So far the longest trip I was able to take was with NW Ohio summer gas driving to Southern Ohio and back would only get 29.5mpg. On shorter trips going only 65 I can get it to 30.5-31mpg. Around town I was able to get 26.5mpg mixed driving normal and if I was enjoying the performance rather than economy, I would get 21mpg. The Pump math was always slightly better than the computer, but only by about 0.3mpgs, always very close together.

I checked out the tips at your link to "EcoModder.com", and already practice and perform the reasonable ones for decades as I needed. Some tips are not reasonable for my particular safety concerns however, like I wont travel down hills in Neutral and turn the car engine off while gliding for example.

I do conserve energy all the time in driving my car/truck and understand your point in this post exactly. I even have to do that when trailer towing with my Silverrado in the Kansas Flint Hills on the way to Wichita or I would get 6mpg instead of the 9mpg I have been able to get thru there. I wish I could wire up a TP hold for example instead of CC maintaining constant speed.

My question to you is; do you have a mileage tune in yours, or what other mod/tricks are you doing to get your fabulous mpg logs? I can't believe the NW Ohio summer gas is that bad on MPGs for me so far? 5,600 miles before I put in away for winter.

Thanks in advance, Art
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtU

Hi UltArc, your signature line took me to your mileage charts which were very interesting to me.

I have been used to the concepts of EcoDriving for several decades now when needed. My previous 3-Season daily driver was a 2007 Pontiac Pursuit [G5] with 2.2 Eco motor rated at 31 EPA hi-way.

I could get 34.5mpg Hi-way with it driving from NW Ohio to Mid-Kentucky on NW Ohio Gas. Putting about 1/2 of a tank of Kentucky gas in it I could get to Huntsville with 37.5mpg. (I75-I71-I65, hills and curves at many points) This was with pump math, as the computer would over estimate and say I got 39mpg instead of 37.5. This is averaging 75mph.

In July 2012, I purchased a new 3-Season daily driver. I got a 2013 Mustang V6 Premium with 2.73 gears hoping to get at least 31mpg on my Hi-way trips, and still have 300+hpr in a great looking, performing, and driving car around local. So far the longest trip I was able to take was with NW Ohio summer gas driving to Southern Ohio and back would only get 29.5mpg. On shorter trips going only 65 I can get it to 30.5-31mpg. Around town I was able to get 26.5mpg mixed driving normal and if I was enjoying the performance rather than economy, I would get 21mpg. The Pump math was always slightly better than the computer, but only by about 0.3mpgs, always very close together.

I checked out the tips at your link to "EcoModder.com", and already practice and perform the reasonable ones for decades as I needed. Some tips are not reasonable for my particular safety concerns however, like I wont travel down hills in Neutral and turn the car engine off while gliding for example.

I do conserve energy all the time in driving my car/truck and understand your point in this post exactly. I even have to do that when trailer towing with my Silverrado in the Kansas Flint Hills on the way to Wichita or I would get 6mpg instead of the 9mpg I have been able to get thru there. I wish I could wire up a TP hold for example instead of CC maintaining constant speed.

My question to you is; do you have a mileage tune in yours, or what other mod/tricks are you doing to get your fabulous mpg logs? I can't believe the NW Ohio summer gas is that bad on MPGs for me so far? 5,600 miles before I put in away for winter.

Thanks in advance, Art
I have to try to get a nap in before my shift at 2200, but I will respond. You can see all my mods at my page on ecomodder, or, the cars page. Also, I am in Cleveland, probably using the same fuel lol. I am a standard, so your auto may limit you some.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 12-27-2012, 06:16 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Hour and a half is all I am getting, I guess.

Please note my fuel usage is less than other v6s for several reasons.

My front fascia has a lower Cd than a v6, .38, or a GT, .36.

A partial lower grille block, reduces air coming into the engine bay, which acts like a parachute.
A full upper grille block does the same, but more efficient. These two also increase engine warm up time, hitting max fuel efficiency faster.

Front splitter reduces air going underneath, that air which creates more drag from parts hanging underneath. This also increases downforce, tire drag, on the front end, but is worth the little extra to stop the air underneath.

I also have an air dam underneath, which keeps the engine warmer, and reduces more air underneath.

Side splitters reduce air around the sides. This is tiny, but it helps. Like removing a passenger mirror, or say window wipers and the radio antenna.

The rear diffuser Idid not think it helped, but I have noticed a serious increase in dirt on my cars rear end. So the air seems to stay attached, and flow up in a nice manner.

Finally, all of my cruising speeds have a lower engine speed because I have 18s instead of 17s.

I have posted my speed/mpg charts, at 39 mph I am getting 50+ mpg, in sixth gear. Just on the road. My fuel economy would be way better if my exhaust disn't sound so good, lol.

It is possible my cold air induction, cone filter, and axle backs, freeing exhaust flow, have helped. I do not know too much about it, really, the more efficient we make our cars, a k a, more powerful, the better fuel economy we should be getting. The biggest point is to get to speed, and then cruise. The biggest waste of fuel is coming to a stop, unneeded starting and stopping. I rarely coast in neutral, but I often coast- car ahead turning, red light coming, so on.

All my mods are posted on the web site, I should add those to my sig here next time I get to a computer.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang