Which is the Best Exhaust? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:33 AM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

My Mustang is a 2011. Those GT500's sound great on our V6's; not raspy, not "rice". Good rumple at idle, quiet at cruising speed, and you'll here it when you hit the go pedal, but again, not loud.

You'll need to have the back pipe of your stock V6 mufflers cut off and welded onto the GT500's for them to clamp onto the stock exhaust pipes. below is a pic of what I'm talking about; notice that the muffler shop will slightly expand the stock V6 muffler tube ti weld it onto the gt500 muffler (the shop will cut off the GT500's tube). The V6 has a slightly smaller diameter exhaust tubing, so the V8's are not going to be a direct bolt on. The muffler hangers are all the same, so that part is not an issue. The gt500 tips are larger, so they fill out the tail end opening nicely too.
Hey I wanted to know how to found the GT500 exhaust? Did you buy it used? I wanna take that route and go with the Shelby's exhaust. I think it has great sound. I just can't seem to locate the factory set up online anywhere. Can you steer me in the right direction?
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 12:01 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post

Hey I wanted to know how to found the GT500 exhaust? Did you buy it used? I wanna take that route and go with the Shelby's exhaust. I think it has great sound. I just can't seem to locate the factory set up online anywhere. Can you steer me in the right direction?
They are either bought new online from like AM or latemodelrestoration. I got mine from a friend that got straight pipes on his Shelby and didn't need them so I asked for them
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 01:08 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
i had my mind made up about getting the Borla S-type but after that Force II video i am going to have to keep looking. does any one have a video of the S-type?
Finrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 01:14 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

They are either bought new online from like AM or latemodelrestoration. I got mine from a friend that got straight pipes on his Shelby and didn't need them so I asked for them
I'm trying to sell them now cuz I decided to keep my Roush AB
Old 12-07-2012, 03:37 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I'd say go YouTube different exhaust and make your decision then
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:56 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post
Check out this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/lNNn-U2yDqk

My only vids are exhaust vids, check them out
Nb.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 04:02 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I'm trying to sell them now cuz I decided to keep my Roush AB
+1 ordering mine in march! I've watched countless hours of vids on youtube on almost every axleback available! I also like the borla atak but to rich for my blood!
Old 12-10-2012, 12:07 AM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
I'm definitely loving all this input guys, thanks, I'm thinking the Roush Axle back is gunna be my choice!
rickyschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 07:29 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyschulze View Post
I'm definitely loving all this input guys, thanks, I'm thinking the Roush Axle back is gunna be my choice!
+1
Old 12-10-2012, 09:38 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickyschulze View Post
once you first install them, expect a decrease in your fuel economy. it should return to normal after a while.
i installed my muffler a long time ago, i still haven't fully recovered
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 09:30 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
go with borla
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 05:24 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Borla's are nice but waaaaaaay to expensive. If you have the extra $ and don't mind spending 300$ more compared to the roush then go for it. That extra 300 was a deal breaker for me because for 329 I will be getting the GT 500 painted spoiler from AM in march.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:46 AM   #48
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
I bought them used. Keep checking the various Mustang forum classifieds (I've yet to see a pair on this site for sale), as they come up for sale. Don't forget that you will need to have your 3.7 muffler tubes welded onto the GT500 mufflers; then everything bolts right up.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:25 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I would normally recommend the flow master kit. However I was very disappointed in the way it makes our v6 sound. I had the force II kit for two weeks and I sent it back. Pops like crazy and sounds like a 350z when it's not. Instead I got the magnaflow streets and those are great. A lot better looking tips and deep tone. Very little popping at high rpms but not bad. No drone. I've gotten a lot of compliments.
davidn7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #50
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Davidn7488

I also have the Magnaflow Streets so I know what you are saying. Another plus to these streets is "YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT ANYTHING" to install them. They fit perfect right out of the box.
Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:35 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidn7488 View Post
I would normally recommend the flow master kit. However I was very disappointed in the way it makes our v6 sound. I had the force II kit for two weeks and I sent it back. Pops like crazy and sounds like a 350z when it's not. Instead I got the magnaflow streets and those are great. A lot better looking tips and deep tone. Very little popping at high rpms but not bad. No drone. I've gotten a lot of compliments.
Yea I liked the way those sounded online! I was liking the magnaflow competition better than the street though, whats the difference? It was either magnaflow competition, roush or bassani, gunna go with roush
rickyschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 09:56 AM   #52
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The big difference is:::

The Magnaflow streets are a real muffler and have a nice deep rumble.

The Magnaflow Comps are more like a large resonator and are much, much louder.

You can see pictures of each on American Muscle to give you a better explanation.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:03 PM   #53
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I also have the Magnaflow Streets so I know what you are saying. Another plus to these streets is "YOU DO NOT NEED TO CUT ANYTHING" to install them. They fit perfect right out of the box.
Ronnie
I'm thinking I have a whole lot less in my GT500's plus the "cut and weld" (done at a good muffler shop) then a set of Magnaflows (unless they are used) or much of the other cat back/axle back products that are for sale.

This is why I went the route I did. Paid 200 bucks for the used GT500's, paid a muffler shop to do the cut and weld and install for another 40 bucks. $240.00, and I did not have to crawl under my car in the driveway for a couple of hours! I love to wrench on my Mustang, but after doing some homework, finding the sound I was after and getting the part I wanted, at a price that saves me money, and installation, all for under what a new part would have cost me, then I'd be a fool to pass it up. Gives me more time (and money) to spend on other goodies.

Just an option to look at for great sound, and save a few coins. This is a "Which is the best Exhaust" thread, so I tossed in another option. There will be many more!
Old 12-13-2012, 12:58 PM   #54
Registered Member
Regular

Borla>. have the stype on mine, never would get anything different
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 03:14 PM   #55
Admin

Supporter
Admin

So, we have around 6 different "Best Exhausts" to choose from!

Decisions, decisions.....
Old 12-13-2012, 03:38 PM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm thinking I have a whole lot less in my GT500's plus the "cut and weld" (done at a good muffler shop) then a set of Magnaflows (unless they are used) or much of the other cat back/axle back products that are for sale.

This is why I went the route I did. Paid 200 bucks for the used GT500's, paid a muffler shop to do the cut and weld and install for another 40 bucks. $240.00, and I did not have to crawl under my car in the driveway for a couple of hours! I love to wrench on my Mustang, but after doing some homework, finding the sound I was after and getting the part I wanted, at a price that saves me money, and installation, all for under what a new part would have cost me, then I'd be a fool to pass it up. Gives me more time (and money) to spend on other goodies.

Just an option to look at for great sound, and save a few coins. This is a "Which is the best Exhaust" thread, so I tossed in another option. There will be many more!
Hey man I have long tube headers, xpipe and resonators and Roush Axlebacks. I wanna do GT500's but I wanna see how they sound first. Can u upload a vid? And if I don't like them ill sell them to anyone for the right price plus shipping
Old 12-13-2012, 06:58 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

What do you think about the long tube headers?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:09 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
What do you think about the long tube headers?
They are AMAZING but if you get them make sure you have Axlebacks that will work with the much better exhaust flow cuz they made my Roush Axlebacks RIDICULOUSLY loud. I had to install Resonators to take out all the high pitch noise and rasp. Also before you install them. High temp paint them and then wrap them to reduce the heat because they got super hot and I can feel it in the cabin of the car.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:20 PM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
I've got Roush axel backs and like them a lot. I drive 45 mins to work and leave there with an hour drive to college . And they don't seem to bother me . I'm sure what ever you pick will be make you way happier then the stock exhaust
Old 12-13-2012, 09:26 PM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They are AMAZING but if you get them make sure you have Axlebacks that will work with the much better exhaust flow cuz they made my Roush Axlebacks RIDICULOUSLY loud. I had to install Resonators to take out all the high pitch noise and rasp. Also before you install them. High temp paint them and then wrap them to reduce the heat because they got super hot and I can feel it in the cabin of the car.
Where did you get the resonators from? Was it a pain to install?
Old 12-13-2012, 09:34 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Where did you get the resonators from? Was it a pain to install?
Got them from a friend with an 11 5.0 we cut out his and welded them on my catback piping. The install of the headers was time consuming but not really hard. I would advise you buy ratcheting wrenches or your gna spend another 1hr on the install
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #62
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Hey man I have long tube headers, xpipe and resonators and Roush Axlebacks. I wanna do GT500's but I wanna see how they sound first. Can u upload a vid? And if I don't like them ill sell them to anyone for the right price plus shipping
I did; on another post. There are so many exhaust threads on this site; hard to keep track.
Old 12-14-2012, 05:04 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I did; on another post. There are so many exhaust threads on this site; hard to keep track.
Lol any links? Haha
Old 12-14-2012, 02:29 PM   #64
Registered Member
Regular

Flowmaster outlaws with a xpipe.
Well atlest thats what im planning to do for my exhaust. A nice loud aggressive sound : )
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2012, 03:42 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Illinois
All have given great advice. I will add that my Bassani axle back have that muscle car sound when you want it without rasp or popping, calm around town, and a lifetime warranty. Yes, lifetime. They cost a little more now, but they look like they should cost more too and that warranty can't be beat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1783750096.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	410.2 KB
ID:	80994   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3537761383.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	474.5 KB
ID:	80995  

StangSleeperGT is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust