Which is the Best Exhaust? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-04-2012, 12:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Which is the Best Exhaust?

I've been looking at different brands and types of exhausts, which do yall have and/or like? This is gunna be my first Mod to my 2013. I personally would like a loud deep sounding one. maybe Borla Atak?
rickyschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 12:55 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Look on YouTube. There is no best exhaust. Everyone will have diff options

---------- Post added at 10:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:51 PM ----------

Opinions*
Old 12-04-2012, 12:56 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Yea my mistake, I didn't mean "best" I just want different opinions, since there is so many to choose from, plus everyone on youtube says the video doesnt do the mustang justice and would have to hear it in person.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I have a cat-back borla atak on my 13 and i love it, is really loud when u step in the gas and at only 3k ur already turning heads
FOX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Whats the difference between cat back and axle back?
Old 12-04-2012, 01:37 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I believe catbacks are for 04 and under. While axle backs are for 05 and up. Catbacks- starts from the cats therefore catback. Axlebacks- starts after the axle
Old 12-04-2012, 05:59 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Since exhaust note is what everyone has the opinion on, it can come down to price as well. I went to several car shows, examined the exhaust on the Mustangs, and asked the owners to start the engine so I could hear it.
I did this because I made a huge mistake; I bought a set of Roush axle backs (used) from another Mustang site. Had them on my Mustang for about two hours. Off they came. They were obnoxious loud. Since I travel a long daily trip, they were not for me. I promptly sold them, and did the car show method mentioned above. I ended up buying a used set of GT500's off of the same site, and these are the perfect setup for me. Nice rumble at idle, great cruising sound (like stock), and when you stomp the go pedal, they are great. To me, Ford developed these just right. And the best part of these? I only paid 200 bucks, shipped to me. I had to have the mufflers inlet tube modified to fit the V6 tubing, but that's easily done by a muffler shop. Much less that the average $400.00 to $600.00 prices I'm seeing for axle backs these days. More money in my pocket for more mods!
Old 12-04-2012, 07:21 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Since exhaust note is what everyone has the opinion on, it can come down to price as well. I went to several car shows, examined the exhaust on the Mustangs, and asked the owners to start the engine so I could hear it.
I did this because I made a huge mistake; I bought a set of Roush axle backs (used) from another Mustang site. Had them on my Mustang for about two hours. Off they came. They were obnoxious loud. Since I travel a long daily trip, they were not for me. I promptly sold them, and did the car show method mentioned above. I ended up buying a used set of GT500's off of the same site, and these are the perfect setup for me. Nice rumble at idle, great cruising sound (like stock), and when you stomp the go pedal, they are great. To me, Ford developed these just right. And the best part of these? I only paid 200 bucks, shipped to me. I had to have the mufflers inlet tube modified to fit the V6 tubing, but that's easily done by a muffler shop. Much less that the average $400.00 to $600.00 prices I'm seeing for axle backs these days. More money in my pocket for more mods!
What year V6? I just bought some gt500 take offs and I'm debating if I should install them or not I got them for cheap
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Are you looking for Loud or just a nice deep sound?

If you are just looking for A nice deeper Mustang Rumble you need to look into the Magnaflow Streets.

On A 2013 V6 you are going to have to get the Cat Backs because Ford decided to change the hangers from what they used on the 2011/2012's.

If you want loud check out the Magnaflow Competition Mufflers. Just about all mufflers are better sounding and louder then the stock one's. It all depends on how bad your Police force is in your area.

I personally did not want super loud or obnoxious so I went with the Magnaflow streets and they do and sound exactly like I wanted. They are nice and deep and really come alive only if I floor it. They have great looking fat tips that fill the area cutout perfect and they are stainless steal.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Personally I like the roush axelbacks, but really depends on what sound your looking for. Check YouTube out it,it will give you a good idea of what might interest you. There are lots of choices and there's no right or wrong! Borla atak and roush are some of the loudest out there! Beware of police and let off whenever you see them!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:07 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You won't really find a "deep" tone with a V6. Any of them can sound deep at idle, but V6s just sound like popcorn at high rpms if you try to get it too deep.

The ATAKs to me sound like a nicely tuned import V6... say a 350/370 note. I find it highly appealing, it's different. The two best sounding ones that don't have that import sound are the Flowmaster Force II and the Magnaflow Streets. They keep the exhaust a round, robust sound without the harshness and pops.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 06:27 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
You won't really find a "deep" tone with a V6. Any of them can sound deep at idle, but V6s just sound like popcorn at high rpms if you try to get it too deep.

The ATAKs to me sound like a nicely tuned import V6... say a 350/370 note. I find it highly appealing, it's different. The two best sounding ones that don't have that import sound are the Flowmaster Force II and the Magnaflow Streets. They keep the exhaust a round, robust sound without the harshness and pops.
Pypes at high rpm sound awesome deep and mean
Old 12-05-2012, 10:55 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
I want the v8 sound at crank up and at that "magic" rpm cruising range a v8 sound and little to no drone. Nothing as bad as roush. What's for me as far as that. I like the magnaflow streets. Jw not jacking too much
Old 12-05-2012, 11:21 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I want the v8 sound at crank up and at that "magic" rpm cruising range a v8 sound and little to no drone. Nothing as bad as roush. What's for me as far as that. I like the magnaflow streets. Jw not jacking too much
Get the Pypes Axlebacks bro look them up for our V6 it's amazing!
Old 12-05-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

I'm sorry if I sound too forward here, and everyone has their own opinion, but I have the borla ATAK catback on my 12 V6 and it sounds anything but an import. it's loud, mean, and very nice. perfect thing to get if you want to control when to be heard and be sure to be heard

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2012, 11:28 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
I'm sorry if I sound too forward here, and everyone has their own opinion, but I have the borla ATAK catback on my 12 V6 and it sounds anything but an import. it's loud, mean, and very nice. perfect thing to get if you want to control when to be heard and be sure to be heard
Everyone has their own opinions man so no worries
Old 12-05-2012, 11:29 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

Everyone has their own opinions man so no worries
true lol

2012 V6
m_tyler_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #18
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
What year V6? I just bought some gt500 take offs and I'm debating if I should install them or not I got them for cheap
My Mustang is a 2011. Those GT500's sound great on our V6's; not raspy, not "rice". Good rumple at idle, quiet at cruising speed, and you'll here it when you hit the go pedal, but again, not loud.

You'll need to have the back pipe of your stock V6 mufflers cut off and welded onto the GT500's for them to clamp onto the stock exhaust pipes. below is a pic of what I'm talking about; notice that the muffler shop will slightly expand the stock V6 muffler tube ti weld it onto the gt500 muffler (the shop will cut off the GT500's tube). The V6 has a slightly smaller diameter exhaust tubing, so the V8's are not going to be a direct bolt on. The muffler hangers are all the same, so that part is not an issue. The gt500 tips are larger, so they fill out the tail end opening nicely too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler_weld.JPG
Views:	204
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	79509  
Old 12-06-2012, 11:28 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

My Mustang is a 2011. Those GT500's sound great on our V6's; not raspy, not "rice". Good rumple at idle, quiet at cruising speed, and you'll here it when you hit the go pedal, but again, not loud.

You'll need to have the back pipe of your stock V6 mufflers cut off and welded onto the GT500's for them to clamp onto the stock exhaust pipes. below is a pic of what I'm talking about; notice that the muffler shop will slightly expand the stock V6 muffler tube ti weld it onto the gt500 muffler (the shop will cut off the GT500's tube). The V6 has a slightly smaller diameter exhaust tubing, so the V8's are not going to be a direct bolt on. The muffler hangers are all the same, so that part is not an issue. The gt500 tips are larger, so they fill out the tail end opening nicely too.
I was gna do it but ended up just sticking with my Roush Axlebacks, I have 11 5.0 resonators on it anyways so my Roush Axlebacks aren't all raspy
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by m_tyler_r View Post
Wanna be heard, go straight pipe.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

Quote:

I was gna do it but ended up just sticking with my Roush Axlebacks, I have 11 5.0 resonators on it anyways so my Roush Axlebacks aren't all raspy
What's a resonator? I've heard it thrown around but what are they and where can I find them?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:24 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Wanna be heard, go straight pipe.

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:17 PM ----------

What's a resonator? I've heard it thrown around but what are they and where can I find them?
Okay resonators are put on 2011+ 5.0's to take their stock exhaust sound, most owners remove them when they put an aftermarket muffler. They cut them off the catback portion of their exhaust and weld in a pipe to replace it. They are great if you wanna take off rasp and high pitch noise from ur exhaust. You can either find them at a muffler shop that's already removed them or you can ask a buddy with a 5.0 if you can have them, they will make his exhaust a tiny bit louder
Old 12-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

But is it really worth it?
Old 12-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
But is it really worth it?
Yes!! My exhaust with headers xpipe and Roush AB was ridiculously LOUD and raspy. I put them on and now my car sounds SWEEEEEET!!! Lol nice and deep and loud
Old 12-06-2012, 02:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
They all good, depends on personal taste really
svilla00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by svilla00 View Post
They all good, depends on personal taste really
You said it!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Flow masters!
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran View Post
Flow masters!
They rattle like a tin can lol no flowmasters!
Old 12-06-2012, 07:21 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

I got flowmasters on mine but they tend to suit old school muscle, if that's what you want as a sound the super44's are amazing. Just loud enough and not too expensive.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:23 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Magnaflow Magnapacks!!
StangerBanger04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 07:24 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpapaDean View Post
I got flowmasters on mine but they tend to suit old school muscle, if that's what you want as a sound the super44's are amazing. Just loud enough and not too expensive.
Here's my link: http://youtu.be/JqLY8iZIERY

It sounds a little louder cause the car is parked in an indoor parking.
BigpapaDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:11 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Flowmaster 10s
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigpapaDean View Post

Here's my link: http://youtu.be/JqLY8iZIERY

It sounds a little louder cause the car is parked in an indoor parking.
My Gawd! Thats beautiful...
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 08:43 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Check out this video on YouTube: http://youtu.be/lNNn-U2yDqk

My only vids are exhaust vids, check them out
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They rattle like a tin can lol no flowmasters!
Flowmasters are supposed to pop, gargle and rattle. I like them just not on the new engine
Old 12-06-2012, 10:04 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Listen to the Force II. Those don't pop and gargle like the 2 chambers. Listen to this one, pretty sure this is pwrdby4d's car.

2013 mustang V6 Flowmaster forceII - YouTube

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust