LED Lighting - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:21 PM   #71
Kevin.Cook

So the cup holders, door sills, and door panels were all purchased on Ebay. Door panels are rare but usually go for 400-700 for the pair. Sills are 70-100 for the pair. The Clusters are EXTREMELY hard to get ahold of unless you buy one from Ford.

Swapping the cluster is a long process and will more then likely void your warranties. This is because the cluster you swap in, may not have the same mileage as your original one.

You will also need a VCM II tool to program the new cluster. The tool can run $150-$200. The clusters vary in a wide range. As cheap as $150, all the way up to $600.

All of the wiring, I spliced into components that turned off/on with the daylight sensors. The footwells and cupholders were wired into the Automatic shifter lights. The door sills wired into the Dome lights. And the door panel LEDs were spliced into the LEDs in the lock/unlock buttons.

This project is for people who like a challenge and will do whatever it takes to get their car to where they want it. This will take alot of research if you plan on doing this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 03:22 PM   #72
Kevin.Cook

Clusters sometimes pop up on car-parts.com also.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:30 PM   #73
Kevin.Cook

But yea...my car is pretty much a premium now for all I care. Besides being able to change the lights in the entire car, it has everything a premium has. Brushed metal dash, GT500 pedals, Leather interior, and everywhere that is normally lit with Ambient Lighting, is. I guess I could change the color of the lighting, but that would require me to resplice the wiring. As the color changes depending on which wires you splice in.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #74
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
sounds like a fun project if the pockets can keep up im down for it piece by piece though. thanks
yellowconve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 02:06 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular

Go to thatscoolwire.com and get the electroillumenecnt 2.7 mm wire u can order a custom pack. You need 60 inches for each door and 114 for the dash. That's what I just ordered they even have tape there is so any things you can do with this wire. I plan on highlighting my body lines as well the wire just looks sick as heck. Good luck with the protect.

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
2014_MCA_Vert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:42 PM   #76

Region: New Jersey
Hey guys I'm installing 2 LED strips from LEDglow and I wanted to write it to the fuse box but I need to know the size to order the expandable circuit. Does anybody know what size fuses we have? I believe it's mini. Thanks

Also does anybody know how I can send the wires to the Led strip from the passenger side to driver side?
mattsup94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2015, 12:47 PM   #77
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattsup94 View Post
Hey guys I'm installing 2 LED strips from LEDglow and I wanted to write it to the fuse box but I need to know the size to order the expandable circuit. Does anybody know what size fuses we have? I believe it's mini. Thanks

Also does anybody know how I can send the wires to the Led strip from the passenger side to driver side?

I fed mine underneath/behind the radio area. Tape the wire around something like a wired hanger, and then feed it through. You can see where there is an opening by flashing a light through. If you see light on the opposite side, then there is an opening for you.
Old 03-18-2015, 12:50 PM   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin.Cook View Post
I fed mine underneath/behind the radio area. Tape the wire around something like a wired hanger, and then feed it through. You can see where there is an opening by flashing a light through. If you see light on the opposite side, then there is an opening for you.
A wire hanger is a brilliant idea! Also can you confirm the fuse size?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:53 PM   #79
Kevin.Cook

Quote:
A wire hanger is a brilliant idea? Also can you confirm the fuse size?

Is your Stang a manual or Auto?
Old 03-18-2015, 12:56 PM   #80

Quote:
Is your Stang a manual or Auto?
2014 V6 Auto

Looking at the manual I would run it to either:
#34= 5a stability control fuse
#37= 10a rear defroster
Old 03-18-2015, 01:07 PM   #81
Kevin.Cook

No need to wire to the fuse box then. What I did with mine, was I tapped into the shifter lights on my Auto (The P, R, N, D, S lights). When you pop up the cup holder, there is a red and black wire running to the shifter lights. Red is positive and black is negative.

I did this because those lights are controlled by my daylight sensor. So they only come on when my Auto lights turn on and turn off when the rest turn off. Just make sure to have your battery disconnected when you do this.

I fed each side up and under the radio faceplate/cupholder.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:13 PM   #82

Quote:
No need to wire to the fuse box then. What I did with mine, was I tapped into the shifter lights on my Auto (The P, R, N, D, S lights). When you pop up the cup holder, there is a red and black wire running to the shifter lights. Red is positive and black is negative.

I did this because those lights are controlled by my daylight sensor. So they only come on when my Auto lights turn on and turn off when the rest turn off. Just make sure to have your battery disconnected when you do this.

Ahh I see, that's def a good option but I would prefer the fusebox method. The reason why I wanted to plug it to the fusebox using a expandable circuit is because it's simply plug and play:

I don't have access to the mustang right now so that's why I was asking if anyone knew lol.
Old 03-18-2015, 01:20 PM   #83

Quote:

Ahh that's def a good alternative but I would prefer to power to the fuse box. It's simply plug and play. I don't have experience with tapping into wires so i feel this would be the easiest for me. Having to turn them on and off wouldn't be much of an issue because the control box comes with multiple settings. The method I wanna use is shown below:

I don't have access to the Mustang right now so if anybody know the fuse size that would be great.
Old 03-18-2015, 05:07 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
I got my lights from ledglow.com and I love them! I got the mini smd led light kit and it gave the perfect amount of light for the foot wells both front and rear for only 50$. You can wire them to turn on with your headlights or just use the remote control. They have a ton of colors and modes including strobe and music modes. Personally I just keep them a solid color. The lights are super durable and much better quality than the ones at auto zone that I previously had.
Mannn that looks good but I'm like 100% don't know what I will be doing lmao.

2014 Black 3.7 Mustang. Airaid intake, Sct Bame tuned. Flowmaster Force 2 axelbacks.
Arlexisv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:18 AM   #85
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Credible View Post
Yes it does! The lights hook to each other with a mini usb cable up to a control box. The control box has a power wire and ground wire. You connect the power wire to your battery or to your headlight fuse (you can buy the adapter off their website for 5$) and I connected the ground to a bolt in my engine bay. I am 18 with absolutely no experience in anything electrical and it was super easy even for me
May I ask how you wired yours? I watched some installation videos for LEDglow and the three ways suggested to power these were either tap into the door panel, ignition, or headlights. I like the idea of the "auto illumination" feature (where these would light up when the door opens), but I would also like the option of having these on when I'm on the road. The other two tapping options would give me this, although they would not power on when I open the door...
Pretzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 09:35 AM   #86
Kevin.Cook

I tapped in to my Auto shifter's lights. This sets up the LEDs to light up when you turn your headlights on manually, or if you have the Auto headlamps, it turns on when it gets dark.

Not sure how you would do this for a manual transmission.
Old 03-19-2015, 09:59 AM   #87
Registered Member
Regular

That's a thought! (I have an automatic too) So I suppose you would have the manual control box to switch these off in the event you would not want them on? Like I said, I like the idea of having these come on as soon as you open the door, but then I wouldn't be able to have them on at all when the door is closed. Ah well, I guess I can't have everything right?
Old 03-19-2015, 10:09 AM   #88
Kevin.Cook

Not sure what you mean. By wiring them to the Auto shifter's lights, they come on when your headlights do. They are essentially controlled by your headlight switch. So if you have the Auto headlamps, they will be controlled by your daylight sensor as well. This means if you are driving with your headights on, they will be lit up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Mustang Evolution mobile app
Old 03-19-2015, 10:16 AM   #89
Registered Member
Regular

Sorry, I just meant that by doing it this way, the lights would only come on when you turn the ignition key (vs the automatically lighting up when you simply open the door). Still a good idea.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:34 AM   #90
Kevin.Cook

It might do that. I never pay attention. I can look the next time I open my car door.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:45 AM   #91
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks!
Old 03-19-2015, 01:45 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzel View Post
That's a thought! (I have an automatic too) So I suppose you would have the manual control box to switch these off in the event you would not want them on? Like I said, I like the idea of having these come on as soon as you open the door, but then I wouldn't be able to have them on at all when the door is closed. Ah well, I guess I can't have everything right?
thats y just wire it direct with a hidden switch so it can be used only when u want.
Old 03-19-2015, 05:16 PM   #93
Kevin.Cook

The floor lights do come on when i open the door also.

Old 03-19-2015, 07:04 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular

Hey thanks! I may just have to place an order for these this weekend

Sent from my iPad using Mustang Evolution
Old 03-19-2015, 08:49 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I'm guessing you did not buy the "premium" package, as this would have given you the what I call "mood" lights. I can change these lights in my 2011 to red, blue, etc.

My wife refers to them as "hooker" lights. She says they resemble the mood of a strip club!
How can you do that? I have 2011 premium

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mustang Evolution mobile app
bamaboy2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:50 PM   #96
Kevin.Cook

Use the info button to navigate the small menu.

Old 03-19-2015, 09:36 PM   #97
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Okay sweet man

Old 03-19-2015, 09:43 PM   #98
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What about of you have navigation system

Old 03-20-2015, 01:20 AM   #99
Kevin.Cook

All mycolor configurations/changes are done through the little lcd menu on the cluster.

Old 03-20-2015, 01:43 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All mycolor configurations/changes are done through the little lcd menu on the cluster.

Okay thanks

Old 03-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #101

Can anyone confirm that the fuse size of a 2014 v6 is mini? Thanks
Old 03-21-2015, 04:02 PM   #102
Registered Member
Regular

Look at the fuses in the fuse box.

2014 Black 3.7 Mustang. Airaid intake, Sct Bame tuned. Flowmaster Force 2 axelbacks.
Old 03-21-2015, 04:03 PM   #103
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Can anyone confirm that the fuse size of a 2014 v6 is mini? Thanks
Look at the fuses in the fuse box. I have the same question but its pouring rain right now so I cant check lol

Old 03-21-2015, 05:42 PM   #104
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlexisv6 View Post
Look at the fuses in the fuse box. I have the same question but its pouring rain right now so I cant check lol

I assume the question is if one didn't know the difference between the mini and the standard blade type, by looking at them. ???
Looking at the owners manual they seem to only mention "mini" and "cartridge" types.
My guess would be mini but it's just a guess.
Lets not forget, an opinion is a judgment, viewpoint, or statement about matters commonly considered to be subjective.
Diehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:21 AM   #105
Registered Member
Regular

If you tap it to the fuse box your not going to be able to put your fuse cover back.

Sent from my iPhone using Mustang Evolution
Mlp07 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang