Thoughts on electric cutout? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Thoughts on electric cutout?

Alright I have a 2013 v6 performance package, Borla atak exhaust on. I want to make my exhaust louder, but I can't void my warranty. So should I invest in the electric cutout on americanmuscle.com. If not, what should I buy?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2207229097.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	648.8 KB
ID:	79540   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2724739618.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	475.4 KB
ID:	79542  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2010687211.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	834.1 KB
ID:	79543   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2244508134.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	773.4 KB
ID:	79544  

Mattmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 11:57 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
long tube headers with midpipe or offroad x pipe. with the offroad or a midpipe without cats you may have inspection issues depending on the state you live in. long tube headers and midpipe with hi flow cats is what i would do if the budget allows. otherwise jsut go with an offroad mid pipe and swap backin your stock midipe at inspection.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I can't void my warranty and all those will do so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 12:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
will a muffler delete void your warranty? Thats what I did but I have not been back to the dealer since I pulled them off so Im not sure.... I herd the ATAK's were some of the loudest axle backs and the cat backs are even louder. deleting cats as suggested would also do the trick but your better off going with the high flow cats so you can still pass inspection if needed. I think your best bet is the electric cut out like your looking at. I would put them in just after the H or X pipe.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 12:08 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

I was gonna put the ford x pipe in because it doesnt mess with the cats, but in turn they had to cut the pipes off of the cats so they wouldnt do it. So it's really my only option. Could you put the cutouts in with stock pipes? And where exactly does it go?
Old 12-06-2012, 12:19 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmyr View Post
I was gonna put the ford x pipe in because it doesnt mess with the cats, but in turn they had to cut the pipes off of the cats so they wouldnt do it. So it's really my only option. Could you put the cutouts in with stock pipes? And where exactly does it go?
the cutout's are designed to be welded on in most cases. There is no right or wrong place to have them installed really but I would probably put them after your X or H pipe if your just after sound. Technically, you cats steal some HP from you so if you had the cutout's installed pre cat you could see some small gain's. Then again, if your trying to avoid cutting your exhaust up, it's not going to happen....

---------- Post added at 12:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:18 PM ----------

and yes, you could put them in line with stock pipes as long as you buy the proper diameter cutout's.
Old 12-06-2012, 01:08 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Okay just checking thanks
Old 12-06-2012, 01:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Alright I have a 2013 v6 performance package, Borla atak exhaust on. I want to make my exhaust louder, but I can't void my warranty. So should I invest in the electric cutout on americanmuscle.com. If not, what should I buy?
I believe for cut outs that would be a dealer question. As stated above you can put a full system on it but will void warranty. Axel backs won't void but once headers installed yes since they need a tune and that will void it.

Then you can throw the mongoose act at them but that's a different topic.

---------- Post added at 02:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:19 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvrbullet2012 View Post

I believe for cut outs that would be a dealer question. As stated above you can put a full system on it but will void warranty. Axel backs won't void but once headers installed yes since they need a tune and that will void it.

Then you can throw the mongoose act at them but that's a different topic.
Btw sweet Stang!!
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:20 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
it wont sound good, but it will be loud. Perhaps for the track only?
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectorV View Post
it wont sound good, but it will be loud. Perhaps for the track only?
People used to wire these up in such a way that they would only open at WOT. that would be another option.... not to mention that you would get some good reactions from people when your car went from loud to OMFG!.... at the strip of course, no wot on the streets lol
Old 12-06-2012, 01:46 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Why won't it sound good?

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

And the mongoose act?
Old 12-06-2012, 03:08 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Why won't it sound good?

---------- Post added at 01:46 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:45 PM ----------

And the mongoose act?
mongoose act states that your dealer/manufacturer must prove that the modification(s) you have made were the cause of the damage or problem you have that you want fixed under warranty. For example, if your side mirror falls off they couldn't tell you that it is no longer covered by your warranty because you have an exhaust.... there is a thread with a link to the actual law somewhere, ill try to find it again

and I dont think it wouldn't sound good, i dont have any mufflers at all which is like having open cutouts (kinda) and like it... it was a bit obnoxious at first but it has grown on me over time
Old 12-06-2012, 03:10 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks man and ya that's the sound I'm looking for! Haha I want it loud
Old 12-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Electric cutouts before the cats sounds like having a cam at idle but when accelerating it will sound crappy. After the cats will give it a louder sound but will drone. But the benefit of having electric cutouts is that you can eliminate the drone at the touch of a button!
FordAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Anyway to not have drone?
Old 12-06-2012, 04:07 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
Supporter

Region: Louisiana
Quote:
Anyway to not have drone?
Close them.

93 GT with more junkyard mods than you can imagine.
90 GT bone stock down to the air filter, awaiting restoration.
Join Mustang Evolution today. Click here
93slowstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
And the mongoose act?

I think he means the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You can google it if you want to read up on it.
2007 Torch Red Mustang GT, Parchment Leather, Saleen Supercharger, SCT X-Cal Programmer,brenspeed.com tunes, Tuned by X-Act Dyno (Tempe, Az) 425rwhp, 4:10 Gears, Axel-back MAC exhaust, Dashhawk OBD-II Computer Monitoring System, Sequential Tail Lights, Halo Driving Lights, Eagle Eye Headlights with 6000K HID's, Clear Turn Signal Lenses, Projector Switchback Bulbs, Painted White LeMans Style Stripes, CDC Aggressive chin spoiler, Billet hood pins, Pirelli P-Zero P255 40 ZR19 wheels mounted on 2014 Mustang GT Wheels
Badinuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 04:52 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Mexico
Put them as close to your cats as you can, or better said as far forward as you can. I got patriot ones from amazon for 68 ish bucks, just the cut outs though no gates. They came with clamps, that you seem you would use. Welding is just a more hardcore keep forever type of mod ÷]„
{Never Enough HP}
Butch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 05:49 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badinuf View Post
And the mongoose act?

I think he means the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act. You can google it if you want to read up on it.
I think that what it is. I was to lazy to google the actual name.

I was close enough :p haha
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:41 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

So If I put it like a couple of inches from the cats, it'll sound real good? I eventually plan on getting long tube headers and then a catted shorty x-pipe. Will that be a good combo with the cutout and my Borla atak?

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

And when the cutouts are open, does it turn the flow of air just to the cutouts or does it allow it to go to my mufflers and out of the cutouts as well?
Old 12-06-2012, 06:58 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
So If I put it like a couple of inches from the cats, it'll sound real good? I eventually plan on getting long tube headers and then a catted shorty x-pipe. Will that be a good combo with the cutout and my Borla atak?

---------- Post added at 06:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:40 PM ----------

And when the cutouts are open, does it turn the flow of air just to the cutouts or does it allow it to go to my mufflers and out of the cutouts as well?
It will mainly flow through the cutouts but you will also have some flow through the mufflers. Somewhat similar to the boss 302 setup without the extra pipes continuing to the side
Old 12-06-2012, 09:38 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Think it'll sound good?
Old 12-06-2012, 09:51 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Think it'll sound good?
Old 12-07-2012, 05:38 AM   #24
Admin

Supporter
Admin

The best thing you can do to preserve your warranty is to check with your local Ford dealerships service advisor before purchasing any part, and doing the mod. This way you know what to expect.

Ford performance sells exhaust axle back mufflers, so that cannot void a warranty, or they would not be selling them. A basic rule of thumb I got from my Ford service advisor was that if a mod was done to an exhaust for example, it may void the warranty on the exhaust, but would not void the warranty of the remainder of the car. In another example, if you were to change your seats, the warranty on them may be void, but the drive train or other areas of the car are not void.

Always check with your local Ford service separtment on these issues. All of us can make recommendations and statements, but we are not the ones that you will go to when it comes to a waaranty claim, nor woulkd I expect anyone who gave you advice on this forum would be there to fight a battle with a dealer on a warranty issue if it were to happen!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:03 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Do y'all think it'll be any louder than my Borla Ataks and will it sound good?
Old 12-07-2012, 10:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Do y'all think it'll be any louder than my Borla Ataks and will it sound good?
Definately louder when open. Sound is all preference. Like for my cts, I like the magnaflows because they produce a high pitched whiney sound when in high revs. For mustangs 99-04 gt I like the lt headers, o/r h pipe, and flowmaster 44 because it has a nice deep rumble that isnt too loud at idle but when given power or load it sounds like a monster was just released from hell.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:46 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

You think it'll sound good with my Ataks?
Old 12-08-2012, 01:15 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You think it'll sound good with my Ataks?
Not sure as I dwindle amoung 99-04.
Old 12-08-2012, 09:06 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Well in about a year or maybe longer I plan on getting a catted x-pipe and lt headers. Where would I want to put the cutouts?
Old 12-08-2012, 09:15 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Well in about a year or maybe longer I plan on getting a catted x-pipe and lt headers. Where would I want to put the cutouts?
I would say in the catback but that wouldnt be the best sound imo. If you put it in the stock mid pipe they can always cut it out. You wont be able to put it in the stock headers because theyre shorty and way up in there (youll find out when you crawl under the car)
Old 12-09-2012, 12:28 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang