Exhaust sound? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Exhaust sound?

Anyone's opinion how to make my exhaust louder/sound better? I already have the Borla Ataks on my 2013 v6 pp which is loud, but I want louder. I can't put headers on because they say it'll void my warranty
Mattmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2012, 01:51 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Get a midpipe either h or x all about preference
Old 12-06-2012, 01:53 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
My dealer said they will void my warranty if I move the cats or modify the cats
Mattmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 02:17 PM   #4
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
There's really no other way to change your exhaust tone without changing the exhaust or doing internal modifications. Some people do claim their exhaust gets louder after they install a CAI, but it's very minimum and some people don't even notice. If you don't want to void your warranty, then switching to an even more free flowing cat-back will be your best bet. However, it probably won't have a better tone then your Borla's do now, IMO.

Good luck!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
What if you routed the sound through your firewall like the 5.0L's do? Then it's louder for you and not the cops. Something I'm interested in doing.
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 03:55 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
What if you routed the sound through your firewall like the 5.0L's do? Then it's louder for you and not the cops. Something I'm interested in doing.
I have that done to mine. Got the sound tube from a friend who took it off his.5.0 and I made it work with my CAI. I like it.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Was it a fairly easy install?
Old 12-08-2012, 07:43 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Sure. Not a hard project. Just take your time. I just drilled a hole inside the side of the factory airbox. I got the sound tube and a spare airbox from the car it came off of so I had a spare in case it did not go as planned.

I eventually did a CAI and just drilled a hole inside the shroud so it picks up the sound of the cold air now and has that cool blow off kind of sound when I shift as well. When it was hooked up inside the factory airbox it had more of a deeper rumble though.

The only thing you will need is a pvc elbow and some RTV sealant (I used black to give it a factory look) so that you can connect it all.

The sound tube is easy to install. Just pop the grommet out on your firewall. Then install the sound tube to the firewall using the hardware supplied. It bolts to the inner fender and uses clips to secure it.

Others have installed it into the factory intake tube that I have seen on youtube. They put a hole in the underside of the box like structure molded into the sound tube. The box like structure is actually a sound baffle to help reduce noise. It doesnt do anything else so you would drill into the bottom and use a pvc elbow and RTV sealant too. There is a video of that one on youtube. The sound tube has a diaphragm in it that will not allow air to be pulled in so no worries about running lean unless you dont seal as I said earlier with RTV where you cut the hole. If you place it on a heat shield/shroud for a CAI then no need to seal it.

I have the spare factory box with the hole cut in it if you are interested in it. I have no use for it now. LMK.

I also have pics of it attached to the factory air box. I will attach here once I upload them so you can see it.
Old 12-08-2012, 07:59 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Inside of airbox with Collar from sound tube pushed through hole on inside of airbox and bead of RTV sealant sandwiched in between to seal

Collar from hose that you push through airbox from inside (pic is what it looks like on outside before sealing it with RTV

Connected to back of airbox

The sound tube comes with a collar on the end that you just pull off and then insert from the inside of the airbox and seal. Then you slide the pvc onto the hose and onto the other side of the collar that sticks through.

I did cut the hose so that I would not have so much snaking through. If you plan on going to the intake tube baffle you will use the entire length of hose though.

---------- Post added at 08:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:57 AM ----------

I have pics of the hose modifications, bolts, and other shots, though blurry and dark but may give you a better idea... or confuse you IDK lol but if you want those too lmk.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:30 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Man thanks a million for the reply/instructions. Much appreciated! Very interesting
Old 12-08-2012, 02:37 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Man thanks a million for the reply/instructions. Much appreciated! Very interesting
Sure. I can measure the hole too if want. Lmk.
Old 12-09-2012, 05:11 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

It's really not easy to find one. At least so far I'm not having much luck. Tomorrow I may try a ford dealer and buy one new. I really want one now though.
Old 12-10-2012, 08:09 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Ya. I got mine from a friend who had a 5.0 and he wanted to remove it so I gave him the block off plug for the firewall and I went to the auto parts store and found something that would work for the sound tube and sealed it. Maybe you can do the same. I would hate to pay for it from Ford knowing lots of guys take them off and throw them in a box in the garage. Try S197Forum.com and ebay. Post in the wanted section on s197forum and maybe you will get lucky.

Also, When you do get one. Inside the end that hooks to the firewall, it has some foam plugs that you can remove to make it louder if you wish. I pulled them all out. You can experiment with it and see what you like.
Old 12-10-2012, 03:49 PM   #14
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
I have a complete one available.....PM me.

You'll need to modify the stock air box; add a 3/4 inch PVC pipe, with a threaded end to screw into the sound deadining part of the tube.

Basically, you have to drill a hole into the square part of the tube that runs from the throttle body to the filter box. The drilled hole is on the bottom side. The V8's sound tube clamps to this, then into the firewall (our V6's have a round plug that seals this). Go here for a simple vid on how to install this:

Old 12-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I have a complete one available.....PM me.

You'll need to modify the stock air box; add a 3/4 inch PVC pipe, with a threaded end to screw into the sound deadining part of the tube.

Basically, you have to drill a hole into the square part of the tube that runs from the throttle body to the filter box. The drilled hole is on the bottom side. The V8's sound tube clamps to this, then into the firewall (our V6's have a round plug that seals this). Go here for a simple vid on how to install this:

Wow! I want one, where can I get one???
Finrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:52 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrdz View Post
Wow! I want one, where can I get one???
Responded to PM.
Old 12-15-2012, 10:39 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

SOUNDS GREAT!
Ntbruncie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:01 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Hey guys, I just finished the install on the sound tube. I think it sounds really cool so far. I've got 2 baffles out now and think ill keep it like that. Made a video I just gotta get if on YouTube. Thanks for your help! Fun project.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:42 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Hey guys, I just finished the install on the sound tube. I think it sounds really cool so far. I've got 2 baffles out now and think ill keep it like that. Made a video I just gotta get if on YouTube. Thanks for your help! Fun project.
Post a link!
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
Quote:
Post a link!
Taylorations is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust