lowering spring's q's? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
lowering spring's q's?

I got some frpp Lowering springs 1.25" drop all around and im sitting on staggered 19" rims. Theres still about an 1.5" gap between the fenders and top of the tire and I wanna go lower bit dont wanna buy another set of springs. I talked to my mechanic that works specificly on fords amd he said he can cut a coil to lower it another inch and fit the springs into the oem struts but told me if I wanted to do that I should get aftermarket ones because the oem struts will blow. My question is what do you guys think about cutting aftermarket spring's?
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by formulaDstang View Post
I got some frpp Lowering springs 1.25" drop all around and im sitting on staggered 19" rims. Theres still about an 1.5" gap between the fenders and top of the tire and I wanna go lower bit dont wanna buy another set of springs. I talked to my mechanic that works specificly on fords amd he said he can cut a coil to lower it another inch and fit the springs into the oem struts but told me if I wanted to do that I should get aftermarket ones because the oem struts will blow. My question is what do you guys think about cutting aftermarket spring's?
Never seen one cut just an inch, but the ones I have seen cut are not anything you would want on a performance car. They look nice but are really floppy
Finrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
I would say drop the car without cutting. After they break in a lil you might enjoy that ride height. If you drop it to low you might not like it. An after that you can't go back.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Take out your isolaters. They'll give u almost 1/2" drop.
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2012, 06:24 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

If you use a torch to cut your springs then you will almost certainly ruin them. Heating them up changes some of the metal properties and give you a stupidly bouncy ride. I'm sure your mechanic is aware and probably won't use that method if you have him cut your springs but its good info for anyone who thinks its a bright idea to go hacking up there springs with a torch....

If I were you, I would just give it a week and see how you feel then. The springs may settle a little and give you a bit more drop like someone had said. and if your like me and have lots of bumps and high shoulders around you then you might find that you don't want to go any lower for fear of ripping off a bumper.

Did you install them yourself?
Old 12-11-2012, 11:33 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Ive had these springs in for like 5 monthes now. He wont be using a torch he will be using a circular saw I believe. Will removing the isolators really lower it a little more? I diddnt install them myself I had them done professionaly.
Old 12-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Do any of you guys have your isolators out? And can you post pics?
Old 12-12-2012, 11:53 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
Did it install the springs yourself?

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I tried to do the same but instead of ruining springs I sucked it up bought coilovers. Well worth the money
davidn7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 12:40 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

No I diddnt install them myself. I eventually will end up buying coilovers once I get my car built ready for the track.
Old 12-13-2012, 01:29 PM   #11
The Blue Dragon
Regular
Supporter

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
No I diddnt install them myself. I eventually will end up buying coilovers once I get my car built ready for the track.
Don't waste money on more springs then

AUGUST 2012 MOTM!!!!
GrabberBlue5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:07 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

the problem with cutting springs is usually that people cut their stock springs and stock springs are very bouncy but if u bought aftermarket springs that are stiff !! u can cut 1 inch ... it will b a stiff ride and will look mean ... as long as a professional does it
dozer 13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 09:31 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
but the struts/shocks will blow,
you'd have to get aftermarket shocks/struts
and since you plan on going with coilovers, then just ignore your ride height untill you get coilovers.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang