GT 500 muffler on 2013 V6? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-14-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
GT 500 muffler on 2013 V6?

Proud 2013 V6 PP manual owner here. I've been reading all the great exhaust posts and like the feedback on the GT500 deletes on the V6. I'm hoping someone will have answers to the following questions.

- I like the pricing on the GT500 mufflers, and see that on the 2012 V6 only the inlet piping needs to be sized and welded. Does anyone know how much adjustment needs to be done to the exhaust hanger to fit the 2013? Any photos of hanger adjustment? (Trying to get quote for install from local muffler shop)

- Some have mentioned a loss of MPG with exhaust changes. What has your experience been with the GT500 swap and fuel efficiency (other than the heavy right foot after initial)?

Thanks
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 01:27 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Did a little more looking around and I'm thinking the exhaust hangers are not very different on the '13. AM lists most of their axle backs as '11-'13. Even the GT500 exhaust lists as '13 compatible. I'm guessing it's just Magnaflow that is differentiating the '13 for V6 and GT, maybe due to their hanger design? Any warnings with the axle back fitment from fellow '13 owners before I pull the trigger??
Old 12-15-2012, 08:34 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Let me know how it goes. I would love the GT500 exhaust as well. Are you buying yours from AM?
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-15-2012, 08:55 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStig View Post
Let me know how it goes. I would love the GT500 exhaust as well. Are you buying yours from AM?
TheStig,

Trying to get a quote on welding and install from my local muffler shop before I order the exhaust just to make sure this doesn't turn into a major headache (that's why I'm trying to figure out this exhaust hanger question). In fact there is a youtube video of someone installing the Magnaflow Street axle-back on a '13 V6, and the axle-back system is listed as 11-12 only.

I plan on picking it up from AM. They seem like a great company, plus free shipping! Wish there were more videos/soundclips of the GT500's on '13 V6's. One guy on youtube has a few good videos, otherwise everything else is pre-2011. Magnaflow Streets are my second choice. I'll let everyone know how things go.
Old 12-16-2012, 08:02 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
I think I found a used set of GT500 mufflers and there fairly cheap. . So I think in the new year I'll go ahead and get them. So we're gonna have to get the install info for this.

That set up sounded pretty good eh? Not raspy , but rather deep and rumbly. I was surprised
TheStig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 10:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Nice! BTW been doing more searching and found another youtube video of a 2012 V6 with the GT500's. It's a procharged car. Sounds really nice, with that great burble. Here it is if your interested. Good luck with your install. I'm sure it will come out great!

Old 12-17-2012, 06:11 AM   #7
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
You'll like the sound of those GT500's. I have a set on my 2011's. I had no issues with the hangers, as they were the same as my stock ones. Perhaps the 2013's are different. My local muffler shop did the welding and install for $80.00.
Old 12-17-2012, 04:15 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Bucko,

Thanks for the input. It was your posts and photos on the GT500 install that got me thinking about this as an option. Did the GT500's affect your gas mileage in any way? (better/worse/same?) Thanks.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:40 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Bucko,

Thanks for the input. It was your posts and photos on the GT500 install that got me thinking about this as an option. Did the GT500's affect your gas mileage in any way? (better/worse/same?) Thanks.
Just mufflers unless straight pipes will not affect the mpg
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 08:25 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Just mufflers unless straight pipes will not affect the mpg
Nice to know! Thanks
Old 12-27-2012, 02:15 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Update - Installed GT500 axle-backs today. Had a brief discussion of what needed to be done with the muffler shop, they took the car and it came back looking great. Fitment looks excellent. As many have said the 4" tip fills the valance very nicely. How do they sound? It's very close to what I was looking for in a DD exhaust. Fairly quiet under normal driving with a nice aggressive, slightly unrefined sound when you get on it. The youtube videos by howisit305hp are pretty accurate. Although in real life the note is a little deeper (definitely not as deep as the Magnaflow Streets sound on youtube though).

As far as installation. The front most brackets looked like they fit with no issue. The passenger side rear bracket looks like it needed to be rotated to bend over the top of the muffler. The driver side rear bracket looks unchanged to me. Here are a couple photos of the rear brackets for anyone interested. Hope they help.

Driver side

Passenger side
Old 12-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Update - Installed GT500 axle-backs today. Had a brief discussion of what needed to be done with the muffler shop, they took the car and it came back looking great. Fitment looks excellent. As many have said the 4" tip fills the valance very nicely. How do they sound? It's very close to what I was looking for in a DD exhaust. Fairly quiet under normal driving with a nice aggressive, slightly unrefined sound when you get on it. The youtube videos by howisit305hp are pretty accurate. Although in real life the note is a little deeper (definitely not as deep as the Magnaflow Streets sound on youtube though).

As far as installation. The front most brackets looked like they fit with no issue. The passenger side rear bracket looks like it needed to be rotated to bend over the top of the muffler. The driver side rear bracket looks unchanged to me. Here are a couple photos of the rear brackets for anyone interested. Hope they help.

Driver side

Passenger side
VIDEO lol
Old 12-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Keep the stock size mid pipes and only will affect sound. If you're looking for sound and performance, go for long tube headers, shorty x pipe with cat delete (if you want to risk breaking the law), and cat backs. Borla is ridiculous. That with the ATAKS is crazy. I have the s types and that is loud enough. But, I digress, just mufflers is okay. No performance gain or loss. All gain will be in intake, headers and a wider pipe down the car. Loss will be in too big mid pipes an a restriction free axle back. Hope I could help.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:20 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
VIDEO lol
Haha, I'm not the most tech savvy so the video may be a stretch for me. Did you see how big those pictures ended up being? That wasn't on purpose! Saw your exhaust video. Nice setup. Thanks for sharing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Keep the stock size mid pipes and only will affect sound. If you're looking for sound and performance, go for long tube headers, shorty x pipe with cat delete (if you want to risk breaking the law), and cat backs. Borla is ridiculous. That with the ATAKS is crazy. I have the s types and that is loud enough. But, I digress, just mufflers is okay. No performance gain or loss. All gain will be in intake, headers and a wider pipe down the car. Loss will be in too big mid pipes an a restriction free axle back. Hope I could help.
Good advice. Wish I could find some good dyno sheets as each mod was added. Seems to be a lot of CAI dyno sheets but not a lot for catback/axlebacks. I've heard the same thing, that going too large on the pipes can cause a loss, especially on the low end. Thanks.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Haha, I'm not the most tech savvy so the video may be a stretch for me. Did you see how big those pictures ended up being? That wasn't on purpose! Saw your exhaust video. Nice setup. Thanks for sharing.

Good advice. Wish I could find some good dyno sheets as each mod was added. Seems to be a lot of CAI dyno sheets but not a lot for catback/axlebacks. I've heard the same thing, that going too large on the pipes can cause a loss, especially on the low end. Thanks.
Thanks man! And bro the video doesn't have to be like OMG badass quality we just need to listen not see hahah
Old 12-28-2012, 09:31 AM   #16
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Glad they worked out for you.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:08 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks man! And bro the video doesn't have to be like OMG badass quality we just need to listen not see hahah
Ok here's a video of the GT500's driving down the street. Strapped a point and shoot to my license plate so the video and sound isn't the best (definitely not "OMG badass") but gives a good sense of the sound. Towards the end hit about 5K rpm. Be sure to turn up the sound since there's some static.

Old 12-29-2012, 07:15 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ok here's a video of the GT500's driving down the street. Strapped a point and shoot to my license plate so the video and sound isn't the best (definitely not "OMG badass") but gives a good sense of the sound. Towards the end hit about 5K rpm. Be sure to turn up the sound since there's some static.

They sound pretty good man. Get an uncatted H-Pipe from lethal performance and it's gna be sweet
Old 12-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
That sounds great. I like. Disregard santos, you don't need an o/r mid. Perfect as is!

I do hate all these new 13's with the quad tips.. Mine isn't so different anymore
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:39 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CYCLON37 View Post
That sounds great. I like. Disregard santos, you don't need an o/r mid. Perfect as is!

I do hate all these new 13's with the quad tips.. Mine isn't so different anymore
But it's a performance upgrade!!! Lol
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
They sound really good!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:40 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
'13s can't run quads unless they cut the bumper. What I really want is a '13 GT500 rear valance and matching '13 GT500 muffs. Sounds good and looks even better.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:40 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
'13s can't run quads unless they cut the bumper. What I really want is a '13 GT500 rear valance and matching '13 GT500 muffs. Sounds good and looks even better.
That's what it looks like he's running?
Old 12-30-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks for the kind words guys. I really like this setup (air raid CAI and GT500's). It is perfect for my current needs.

Quote:
They sound pretty good man. Get an uncatted H-Pipe from lethal performance and it's gna be sweet
Haha! Appreciate the suggestions. I'll add that to my shopping list along with a procharger.

Quote:

I think the close up of the video is confusing. I have the single 4" tip GT500 made for the 5.0. So you are still pretty unique! I think those dual tips are pretty sweet, but I got this setup:
Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Axle-Back (2011-2013 GT) M-5230-MGTCA1 - Free Shipping!
Old 12-30-2012, 07:10 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thanks for the kind words guys. I really like this setup (air raid CAI and GT500's). It is perfect for my current needs.

Haha! Appreciate the suggestions. I'll add that to my shopping list along with a procharger.

I think the close up of the video is confusing. I have the single 4" tip GT500 made for the 5.0. So you are still pretty unique! I think those dual tips are pretty sweet, but I got this setup:
Ford Racing Mustang GT500 Style Axle-Back (2011-2013 GT) M-5230-MGTCA1 - Free Shipping!
LOL. A procharger
Old 12-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
That's what it looks like he's running?
He's running the '10-12 GT500 muffs with single tips. '13 is the only quad.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 08:55 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post

He's running the '10-12 GT500 muffs with single tips. '13 is the only quad.
Yeah see that now. Thought I saw two tips before...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang