Max speed on a 2013 v6? - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Closed Thread

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-23-2012, 12:40 PM   #36
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz View Post

Well, first off how much HP and the size of the engine do not directly correlate to top speed. Also, we were talking about the possibility of the 13' drive shafts being bad, so that's why I am shocked that he could hit the 150's when they are reported to snap in the 130's. That's why I am wondering if they build the European fleet with different performance parts. Or, people who have had their shaft snap just had a lemon. Its one or the other.
This has been said before, but is overlooked. It's not the fact you go that speed, its the fact of how much torque you put on the shaft. There is a 5.0 owner that snapped his just by pushing it through hell and he wasn't going anywhere near the supposed speed. Plus the GT can hit 150 without snapping(just wrap around that real quick). Anyway, because its two pieces, there will be play and if you accelerate massively then that could throw it out and pop goes the shaft. I'm using logic and am in no way an master engineer at this.
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 06:07 PM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

This has been said before, but is overlooked. It's not the fact you go that speed, its the fact of how much torque you put on the shaft. There is a 5.0 owner that snapped his just by pushing it through hell and he wasn't going anywhere near the supposed speed. Plus the GT can hit 150 without snapping(just wrap around that real quick). Anyway, because its two pieces, there will be play and if you accelerate massively then that could throw it out and pop goes the shaft. I'm using logic and am in no way an master engineer at this.
+1 no engineer here, but it seems simple to me.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 12-23-2012, 06:16 PM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc

+1 no engineer here, but it seems simple to me.
Speaking only through physics, the top speed is right around 160 mph, depending on road type, aero mods, and weather conditions, but as the gentleman who was driving on the autobahn stated, 160 is feasible.

Edit: you'll also only be getting about 5 mpg lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 07:01 PM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Yes, I agree that a v6 mustang could hit those speeds, I just don't see it happening with a stock 2 piece drive shaft.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:10 PM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz
Yes, I agree that a v6 mustang could hit those speeds, I just don't see it happening with a stock 2 piece drive shaft.
I would not do it with the stock one, myself, no lol. I think one could do it, but it would have to be at an easy pace and not all the time. As others have said, it is more from torque than just rotational speed.a stock aero v6 would take 281 road hp to hit 160 mph at 79* fahrenheit on a standard cement road, basically max stock output for a v6.

Old 12-23-2012, 07:12 PM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
He did it supposedly but was probably creeping it up there. The videos I've seen the guy had around 4-5k rpm so probably dropped the the gear and if its a manual that could be tricky as you control how smooth it is shifter. The other was a dyno on an auto and it snapped with the limiter on.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:17 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I'd do it with a stock one if I had a safety loop front and rear...

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Old 12-23-2012, 08:58 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I'd do it with a stock one if I had a safety loop front and rear...
And a jack and the one piece shaft on the back seat so when it blew you can pop it in lol but that's another thing, safety loops on the one pieces, just in case.
Old 12-23-2012, 09:05 PM   #44
Registered Member
Regular

I don't mind beating the hell out of my car, as long as it's in a repairable manner. She's a workhorse. I run her hard, but I don't put her up wet.

Old 12-24-2012, 08:06 AM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arkansas
It's not a guarantee that it will break when you get to those speeds just a common occurrence...

BV heads, P&P lower, comp 218/226 cam, 4.2 bottom end, 3k stall, flow 40's, O/R x-pipe, Pacesetter lt's, SCT xcal2 (93 Ortizperformance tune), Windstar upper, 65mm tb, CAI, 8.8 w/ 3.73's, SFC's, cut springs, KYB shocks/struts, MM LCA's
blower/new cam soon
Dealer for Ortiz Performance, great tunes at a good price!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:27 AM   #46
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidcseifert View Post
It's not a guarantee that it will break when you get to those speeds just a common occurrence...
Right.. I'm not convinced its even all that common. Only seen the two videos, and it's my beliefs both of those DS had been removed/replaced..

I'd love links to more evidence of this happening.. Not just ppl saying it, but actual evidence..
Old 12-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

That's the only kicker, there isn't much because the cars are so new and they aren't popping out left and right so there is no recall. But we speed demons want well speed and it sucks that we are limited to a a smidge over triple digit speeds. We have to go on those two videos and our knowledge of driveshafts that we already know or can read up on.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:47 AM   #48
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
That's the only kicker, there isn't much because the cars are so new and they aren't popping out left and right so there is no recall. But we speed demons want well speed and it sucks that we are limited to a a smidge over triple digit speeds. We have to go on those two videos and our knowledge of driveshafts that we already know or can read up on.
Three model years would produce more captured failures IMO if it were a real issue..
Seems like some watch group or something would have done testing to break them on purpose with all the chat room chatter..
Old 12-24-2012, 09:58 AM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t

Three model years would produce more captured failures IMO if it were a real issue..
Seems like some watch group or something would have done testing to break them on purpose with all the chat room chatter..
I think it is only two model years, since they have a different shaft in most 13s. My guess is that they had one built and made that SHOULD have been plenty for the torque, but under stress not intended, it can not hold up.

I think that is why they have newer ones, being more durable.

Realistically, a tune voids the warranty. Can we break a drive shaft without getting a tune? Maybe, but it would be hard. I do not know this for a fact, but I have a VERY hard time believing any drive shafts were broken and still in warranty.

I am not saying it is right or wrong, or Ford is or isn't at fault, I am just saying all of the examples, to my limited knowledge, are exceeding what Ford thinks is acceptable. And people may say that is what it is for, or what have you, but that is the same as putting on a supercharger and NOS without replacing any internal parts. Cars can only handle so much, if you want to go hard, you should actually set yourself up to handle it.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:02 AM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post
I think it is only two model years, since they have a different shaft in most 13s. My guess is that they had one built and made that SHOULD have been plenty for the torque, but under stress not intended, it can not hold up.

I think that is why they have newer ones, being more durable.

Realistically, a tune voids the warranty. Can we break a drive shaft without getting a tune? Maybe, but it would be hard. I do not know this for a fact, but I have a VERY hard time believing any drive shafts were broken and still in warranty.

I am not saying it is right or wrong, or Ford is or isn't at fault, I am just saying all of the examples, to my limited knowledge, are exceeding what Ford thinks is acceptable. And people may say that is what it is for, or what have you, but that is the same as putting on a supercharger and NOS without replacing any internal parts. Cars can only handle so much, if you want to go hard, you should actually set yourself up to handle it.
A tune doesn't void the warranty. Any damage you do to the car as a result of the tune is on you, but the tune itself does not void anything.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #51
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkrabz

A tune doesn't void the warranty. Any damage you do to the car as a result of the tune is on you, but the tune itself does not void anything.
Hmm. I am fairly sure a non Ford tune will void the warranty. They are not responsible for what someone else does to their engine. Now if you are specifically referring to like, the rear brake lights or a head light malfunction, that should not have anything to do with the engine CPU, then I agree, but if you do something to your engine that makes it run differently, then I doubt Ford will replace your broken pieces when you went against their guidance and what they said was approved.

Keep in mind I am not Ford, lol, I am just saying from what my dealer has said to me and what the general consensus seems to be on the board, as I have understood it.

Old 12-24-2012, 10:14 AM   #52
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Hmm. I am fairly sure a non Ford tune will void the warranty. They are not responsible for what someone else does to their engine. Now if you are specifically referring to like, the rear brake lights or a head light malfunction, that should not have anything to do with the engine CPU, then I agree, but if you do something to your engine that makes it run differently, then I doubt Ford will replace your broken pieces when you went against their guidance and what they said was approved.

Keep in mind I am not Ford, lol, I am just saying from what my dealer has said to me and what the general consensus seems to be on the board, as I have understood it.
if your engine is tuned, speed limiter removed and your DS fails Fords hand are clean. Simple as that.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:17 AM   #53
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post
if your engine is tuned, speed limiter removed and your DS fails Fords hand are clean. Simple as that.
Yes, if something fails as a result of the tune, it's not on Ford, but the tune will not void your warranty due to the fact that he hasn't damaged anything. For the tune to void the warranty, they have to prove that the tune caused the damage that needs replacing. (I'm in business school) Also, your dealer probably just told you that to discourage you from doing it haha.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:23 AM   #54
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Six one way, half a dozen the other........
Old 12-24-2012, 10:33 AM   #55
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's like saying, hey ill put a tune in it then as soon as you back out your garage its void. I think tunes are fine. It's the limiter setting that everyone wants to take off that's the problem.

---------- Post added at 10:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:30 AM ----------

Quote:

Dealers are pricks. At least mine are. They will tell me that I cleaned my aftermarket floor mats and that voided my brakes warranty or something. Since I have DRL's they say that since I replaced my bulbs after the first set already blew, that I voided my headlight warranty and that they won't be able to disable them because of so.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #56
Registered Member
Regular

Didn't get to read all the responses, but I may have left this out of my other message, that anything REQUIRING a tune. As in, having a cai will not create enough power for us to break our drive shafts. If your v6 has full bolt ons, which require a tune, and then you add the power gain of the tune, your warranty should not cover the drive shaft.

Sorry if I am not clear, leaving for work, but all the cars that blew drive shafts, to my knowledge, have plenty of mods with tunes

Old 12-24-2012, 10:43 AM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That's like saying, hey ill put a tune in it then as soon as you back out your garage its void. I think tunes are fine. It's the limiter setting that everyone wants to take off that's the problem.
Even the limiters are fine to adjust. You are not going to go in for a service, and be charged because you took your limiter off. They can't just be like "ohh, you took off the speed limiter, that voids your speakers!", it just doesn't work like that.

Dealers lie and say anything to make money or to prevent you from doing something. Don't worry about it, and if any dealer argues with you, ask to speak to the manager or owner, they will know what is voided and what isn't.

Use the "would it have happened" clause. (don't remember the exact phrase) but, basically, it says. Would the damage have happened if you didn't mod it. If its yes, then Ford is responsible, if not, then you are. Simple as that.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #58
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Even the limiters are fine to adjust. You are not going to go in for a service, and be charged because you took your limiter off. They can't just be like "ohh, you took off the speed limiter, that voids your speakers!", it just doesn't work like that.

Dealers lie and say anything to make money or to prevent you from doing something. Don't worry about it, and if any dealer argues with you, ask to speak to the manager or owner, they will know what is voided and what isn't.
No one is debating this.

A better way to put it is that it's as good as void if you tune because if you break anything mechanical or driveline related they are LIKELY to reject your claim based on the fact the stock ECU settings were altered.
Ford has more money then most of us so they are going to win in the end. If we had enough money to fight Ford and win, we would care about a warranty in any way shape or form..

There's really nothing to debate here.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:55 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No one is debating this.

A better way to put it is that it's as good as void if you tune because if you break anything mechanical or driveline related they are LIKELY to reject your claim based on the fact the stock ECU settings were altered.
Ford has more money then most of us so they are going to win in the end. If we had enough money to fight Ford and win, we would care about a warranty in any way shape or form..

There's really nothing to debate here.
Nobody's debating here, I'm just stating the law. And it doesn't really matter who has more money, Ford knows the law, and they know that their consumers aren't stupid. Money and lawyers only help when the law is flakey, or the truth is unknown. So I don't see how that effects whether something is voided. Like all american car companies, they are struggling, so they will (should) do whatever it takes to make a potential repeat customer happy. Simple business ethics.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:04 AM   #60
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Nobody's debating here, I'm just stating the law. And it doesn't really matter who has more money, Ford knows the law, and they know that their consumers aren't stupid. Money and lawyers only help when the law is flakey, or the truth is unknown. So I don't see how that effects whether something is voided. Like all american car companies, they are struggling, so they will (should) do whatever it takes to make a potential repeat customer happy. Simple business ethics.
Which is exactly why they have nothing, nothing in regards to this DS issue.. Upgrading the 13' doesn't count. I'm speaking in terms of the thousands and thousands of 11'-12's on the road.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:13 AM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Which is exactly why they have nothing, nothing in regards to this DS issue.. Upgrading the 13' doesn't count. I'm speaking in terms of the thousands and thousands of 11'-12's on the road.
What do you mean by they have nothing in regards to the DS issues for the 11'-12's
Old 12-24-2012, 11:17 AM   #62
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

What do you mean by they have nothing in regards to the DS issues for the 11'-12's
No recall.. Not seen so much as a warning.
I'd love to see something where Ford has publicly addressed this, what I feel is a non issue.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #63
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'd love to see something where Ford has publicly addressed this, what I feel is a non issue.
Well, that's something that has everyone worried. You see two videos of the shafts snapping on youtube, and everyone freaks out. I have yet to see a single post of someone who actually talked to Ford about this issue, which is what I plan to do when I take mine in for service soon.
Old 12-24-2012, 11:30 AM   #64
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:

Well, that's something that has everyone worried. You see two videos of the shafts snapping on youtube, and everyone freaks out. I have yet to see a single post of someone who actually talked to Ford about this issue, which is what I plan to do when I take mine in for service soon.
I'd be interested to hear what they say, although I highly doubt they have anything to say at all much less anything official from Ford.
Old 12-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #65
Registered Member
Regular

Well it's like this: When you put 3.73 gears in your car, that drive shaft is turning a lot faster than it should be with 3.31s at any given speed. A large number of people have done that gear swap, some even 4.10s. I don't see these driveshafts popping due to the increased strain from faster rotation or turning steeper gears.

I think it's a few isolated incidents as well... Also, were both driveshafts popped by automatics? Just curious.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:08 PM   #66
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well really many owners have problems but they report it and ford denies it. Mine bumps when coming to a stop and just makes it feel unstable. Many can concur

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Well it's like this: When you put 3.73 gears in your car, that drive shaft is turning a lot faster than it should be with 3.31s at any given speed. A large number of people have done that gear swap, some even 4.10s. I don't see these driveshafts popping due to the increased strain from faster rotation or turning steeper gears.

I think it's a few isolated incidents as well... Also, were both driveshafts popped by automatics? Just curious.
GT owner was a manual. And they were both autos. The GT was just dogging it and pop goes the shaft.
Old 12-24-2012, 03:23 PM   #67
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Well really many owners have problems but they report it and ford denies it. Mine bumps when coming to a stop and just makes it feel unstable. Many can concur

---------- Post added at 03:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:07 PM ----------

GT owner was a manual. And they were both autos. The GT was just dogging it and pop goes the shaft.
Bumps? Sounds like a mental thing because you believe there to be an issue IMO.

With all the forums and boards there would be thread after thread about actual failures, and there just isn't.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:46 PM   #68
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:

Yes, if something fails as a result of the tune, it's not on Ford, but the tune will not void your warranty due to the fact that he hasn't damaged anything. For the tune to void the warranty, they have to prove that the tune caused the damage that needs replacing. (I'm in business school) Also, your dealer probably just told you that to discourage you from doing it haha.
My bro is a mechanic for 30 years, worked at Ford for 6 and said if you tune your car your powertrain warranty is as good as over. Owners are taking a huge risk if they are not prepared to pay the bill if something fails.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:02 PM   #69
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
My bro is a mechanic for 30 years, worked at Ford for 6 and said if you tune your car your powertrain warranty is as good as over. Owners are taking a huge risk if they are not prepared to pay the bill if something fails.
Well, I don't mean to be rude, but he's wrong.
Old 12-24-2012, 10:11 PM   #70
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Bumps? Sounds like a mental thing because you believe there to be an issue IMO.

With all the forums and boards there would be thread after thread about actual failures, and there just isn't.
Oh no, when coming to a stop the driveshaft will jerk and even though the brakes are applied it feels like you got rear ended. The rpms also jump a tick even though you're slowing down.

---------- Post added at 10:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:

Well, I don't mean to be rude, but he's wrong.
+1

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang