Woah bessy!! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-17-2012, 07:19 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Woah bessy!!

So, I had to go to the ER for "extended"family matters, and I got down on my brakes a little too hard and warped them. Great -_- so for the 2013 mod list I'm looking at rotors. Could I pay to have them refaced or just go with stock replacements. What about slotted, are they worth it?
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM   #2
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
So, I had to go to the ER for "extended"family matters, and I got down on my brakes a little too hard and warped them. Great -_- so for the 2013 mod list I'm looking at rotors. Could I pay to have them refaced or just go with stock replacements. What about slotted, are they worth it?
Cross drilled and slotted I hear are good. I'm not sure if they are worth the extra $ though.

Also from what I've researched you are just better off replacing them. When I bought mine I replaced the rears with Motorcraft, and the front I upgraded to the GT Rotors. Not sure if they went ahead and kept the rotor size the same throughout on the 10+.
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

I think so. I'm just assuming by looking at them. The calipers are different but that's just a standard. I've heard that slotted have a whistle or whine too.
Advertisement

Old 12-17-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
You can resurface a warped rotor, but it's a temp fix. Over time, it'll follow the bends in the metal and rewarp again.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 09:30 PM   #5
Lorraine's driver

Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Kind of a bummer hearing this really. Seems like a newer set of rotors should hold up better. I have to say, I'm a little disappointed in the quality. I hope you can find some better ones that will work for you. I beginning to think I'd stay clear of stock replacements.
Old 12-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Most ebay "drilled and slotted" rotors are cheap things they machine and coat, then resell. Buy either some premium parts house rotors (the metal is denser than the cheapies) or a good name brand.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:12 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
You can resurface a warped rotor, but it's a temp fix. Over time, it'll follow the bends in the metal and rewarp again.
I did my last set and it kept on having the knocking feeling and sound too. But I had no pads left and it was metal on metal on that point. But this was from slapping them to hard

---------- Post added at 10:12 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:09 PM ----------

Quote:
Most ebay "drilled and slotted" rotors are cheap things they machine and coat, then resell. Buy either some premium parts house rotors (the metal is denser than the cheapies) or a good name brand.
Everyone goes with the eBay solution I've noticed. I hate eBay honestly. I usually just use amazon for stuff like that. Don't sacrifice quality, it is after all a brand new ride. But the quality they put into these cars is kinda forcing you to either go to the dealer, which is what they want. Or you can buy aftermarket and make them (AM) happy because you bought quality parts and durability.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:23 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Get the brembos!!!
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:42 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Honestly, I'd get the best parts house rotors they stocked or buy Ford. Ford, you know it's oem and as good as they came with. Parts house... you have a warranty in which you can fix them if they go awry.

Old 12-17-2012, 10:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post
Get the brembos!!!
+1

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

I think that OEM take off site sells GT take offs . May be wrong but seems like I seem them on there
Old 12-17-2012, 10:50 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post
Cross drilled and slotted I hear are good. I'm not sure if they are worth the extra $ though.

Also from what I've researched you are just better off replacing them. When I bought mine I replaced the rears with Motorcraft, and the front I upgraded to the GT Rotors. Not sure if they went ahead and kept the rotor size the same throughout on the 10+.
dang it!
i can't remember which one, but i think it's drilled, breaks under high braking.
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 08:57 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
Unless you spend a ton of pure $$$$$$$$$$$$$

Stay away from drilled rotors, They will have a tendency to develop cracks running from one hole to another. Some drilled rotors are sold that are what they call Chamfered and are OK but they are very,very expensive.

Slotted rotors are great with no problems as long as you buy quality one's from a quality company.( You do lose surface area though)

The best are still A good quality rotor with no holes or slots. A good quality rotor with a set of good street pads have great stopping power because of more surface area. (Drilled & Slotted lose surface area)

The only advantage a drilled or slotted rotor has is they are lighter and reduce unsprung weight, They also look good. Other then looking good on your car you will never notice the weight loss on a street car.

Ford Racing, Brembo, EBC, Wilwood, along with others sell great quality brake parts but not as cheap as the China made crap on E-Bay.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Before you buy anything you need to look and see if you did not just glaze your pads from the extra heat. It is unusual for the Ford rotors to warp in only one panic stop.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2012, 09:04 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Stay away from drilled rotors, They will have a tendency to develop cracks running from one hole to another. Some drilled rotors are sold that are what they call Chamfered and are OK but they are very,very expensive.

Slotted rotors are great with no problems as long as you buy quality one's from a quality company.( You do lose surface area though)

The best are still A good quality rotor with no holes or slots. A good quality rotor with a set of good street pads have great stopping power because of more surface area. (Drilled & Slotted lose surface area)

The only advantage a drilled or slotted rotor has is they are lighter and reduce unsprung weight, They also look good. Other then looking good on your car you will never notice the weight loss on a street car.

Ford Racing, Brembo, EBC, Wilwood, along with others sell great quality brake parts but not as cheap as the China made crap on E-Bay.

I hope this helps with your decision.

Before you buy anything you need to look and see if you did not just glaze your pads from the extra heat. It is unusual for the Ford rotors to warp in only one panic stop.

Ronnie
They already were knocking when I bought the car. It was a rental and so far that's the only flaw I've noticed about it. Makes sense on the whole rotor vs slots and drilled. I replaced the whole brake system in my last one before I sold them and it went from knocking and screaming to a hard bite and quiet
Old 12-18-2012, 09:44 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

check these out

EBC sold here<

12 2012 Ford Mustang Brake Rotor - Brake - EBC, Motorcraft, Pronto, Winhere, Front, Rear - PartsGeek

look her too:

http://ebcrotors.com/e-mmyproducts.aspx

EBC is all made in the United Kingdom and over the years I have seen a lot of full race cars using them.

Ronnie
Old 12-19-2012, 01:01 PM   #15
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Drilled, maybe. Slotted for the street? Wasted money unless you have to have the "cool" effect. Slotted rotors help to expel gases that are produced when excessive braking is performed, like that that happens on a race track. I doubt anyone with a V6 is braking excessively requiring slotted rotors.

But its cool, and cool sells parts.
Old 12-19-2012, 01:43 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Like was said::

Drilled have a tendency to crack between the holes, Slotted do not. If you have to look cool and insist on the drilled you need to cough up the big bucks and make sure you get one's that are chamfered. ( Which means the holes are beveled and not just drilled flat.) The beveling stops the cracking about 95% of the time.

As far as Heat, Neither the drilled or slotted run any cooler then the solid disc. They only do that to save unsprung weight.

A solid disc with the added surface area is still the best as far as stopping power is concerned.

Our Mustangs use ventilated rotors and that takes very good care of dissipating the heat and allowing pretty fast cooling. They just don't look as nice as a nice drilled rotor.

You can buy some very good looking drilled/slotted rotors that are "MADE IN CHINA" for a nice low price. DUH!!!!! or buy from a good company and not have to worry about your brakes until the pads wear out.

Ronnie
Old 12-19-2012, 01:51 PM   #17
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Hahaha, I love the thread title.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Honestly, I'd get the best parts house rotors they stocked or buy Ford. Ford, you know it's oem and as good as they came with. Parts house... you have a warranty in which you can fix them if they go awry.
But buying ford means I could have this problem again. I'm going to go with standard rotor but the best in that category
Old 12-19-2012, 10:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You guys might find this interesting:

Google: warped rotor myth

Read the article on www.stoptech.com about warped rotors.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:06 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejohncarlson View Post
You guys might find this interesting:

Read the article on StopTech - Power Slot about warped rotors.
Nice site, but could not find the article on warped rotors from the supplied link.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:54 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

It is the top result.
thejohncarlson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:48 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Mine aren't warped but my rear rotors especially have pretty deep grooves in them after 20000 miles. I hate that ford skimped out on a lot of things such as this. Took it to the dealer and they said they wouldn't do anything about it. Anyone else having that problem?
davidn7488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 09:12 AM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Try this one

Clich here>Technical White Papers

A lot of good information here.
Thanks John Carlson for the link.

Ronnie

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang