tuner question - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-18-2012, 08:27 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
tuner question

my new mustang is coming soon, i would really like to tune my car but voiding warranty can be a problem. from what im reading 2011+ mustang ecu has time stamp every time you flash it. even if i return it to stock tune when going to dealer for a repair they can tell. can they void your warranty? anyone have this happen to them?
winkawak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 03:20 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak
my new mustang is coming soon, i would really like to tune my car but voiding warranty can be a problem. from what im reading 2011+ mustang ecu has time stamp every time you flash it. even if i return it to stock tune when going to dealer for a repair they can tell. can they void your warranty? anyone have this happen to them?
Yes they can and they will. Not your entire warranty but the most important part. The drive train warranty.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 05:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Yes they can and they will. Not your entire warranty but the most important part. The drive train warranty.
ill take your word for it, guess i have to wait 5 years for the warranty to expire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2012, 08:57 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
There's so much you can do in the meantime with suspension, wheels/tires exhaust, brakes, appearance stuff, etc., itll be five years before you know it and then itll be like driving a new car when you add power mods/tune and your car is all setup for it.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
There's so much you can do in the meantime with suspension, wheels/tires exhaust, brakes, appearance stuff, etc., itll be five years before you know it and then itll be like driving a new car when you add power mods/tune and your car is all setup for it.
not really what your say also void warranty, they can use that against you when your drivetrain fails.
Old 12-19-2012, 10:07 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by winkawak View Post
not really what your say also void warranty, they can use that against you when your drivetrain fails.
Here is the real truth... After about a year or so, when nothing has gone wrong, you'll get the itch... It will start small. Cold Air Intake that doesn't require a tune. Axle back exhaust. Billet grille. Maybe tires and rims. But moments after the CAI install, you look at the SCT you bought with it and think... What's the harm in the safe strategy tune preloaded by SCT. You throw that on there.

Then you realize you want more. NOW.

You order a race tune.... But then spin tires all day long. So then you'll upgrade your suspension in 6 months. And brakes.

Now you'll think your car can take anything you throw at it. And since you can't even break the tires loose now with near 400 at the wheels because of your stellar suspension putting it all down efficiently (add the drag radials), you figure it can't be much worse to throw some turbos or supercharge at it. Then after making some mid 10 second passes, you think... I got it. I'll add nitrous, lighten the car, drop in a cammed alluminator with your turbos/supercharger and nitrous.

Suddenly. You'll look at you wallet. And say "ohh *****"... My 30k car now has 30 k in parts. Lol.

And your warranty really wasn't that important.

Either was your GF/wife/house/job/etc.

THIS IS LIKE CRACK.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:35 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

..................lol
i know exactly what your talking about but im very well discipline to control my desire
Old 12-19-2012, 11:53 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

Here is the real truth... After about a year or so, when nothing has gone wrong, you'll get the itch... It will start small. Cold Air Intake that doesn't require a tune. Axle back exhaust. Billet grille. Maybe tires and rims. But moments after the CAI install, you look at the SCT you bought with it and think... What's the harm in the safe strategy tune preloaded by SCT. You throw that on there.

You order a race tune.... But then spin tires all day long. So then you'll upgrade your suspension in 6 months. And brakes.

Now you'll think your car can take anything you throw at it. And since you can't even break the tires loose now with near 400 at the wheels because of your stellar suspension putting it all down efficiently (add the drag radials), you figure it can't be much worse to throw some turbos or supercharge at it. Then after making some mid 10 second passes, you think... I got it. I'll add nitrous, lighten the car, drop in a cammed alluminator with your turbos/supercharger and nitrous.

Suddenly. You'll look at you wallet. And say "ohh *****"... My 30k car now has 30 k in parts. Lol.

THIS IS LIKE CRACK.
parts are my drug and I'm ****3n ADDICTED!!!

My 18K new car turned into a 27K car!!!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:35 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats such a vague statement its bullsh*t. Ive replaced many parts before with quality upgrades and never once had a warranty issue. Upgrading parts from OEM does NOT automatically void your warranty. A tune is a whole 'nother story. Please have a clue before posting and sit on that sh*t for 5 years for all I care.
Old 12-20-2012, 06:35 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

400 HP at the rear wheels??? This is a V6....

Tuners voiding warranties is up to the dealer/service department. Before you install any performance type part, visit your dealership and ask your service manager. They will talk to you. I know first hand that some dealership service departments will not void a warranty if certain parts are installed, including tuners. It all depents on the tune, the type of failure (if any), and your attitude. Don't expect to obtain any support from them if you are out there beating the car on the road or track.

Ford sells different rear gearing. This directly changes the power to RPM range. If they install it, it does not effect the warranty. Ford sells axleback exhausts for our V6's. That does not effect the warranty.

I'd say that certain tunes would not either, but I'd ask my service adviser first.
Old 12-20-2012, 07:00 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy

THIS IS LIKE CRACK.
+1,000
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:03 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Thats such a vague statement its bullsh*t. Ive replaced many parts before with quality upgrades and never once had a warranty issue. Upgrading parts from OEM does NOT automatically void your warranty. A tune is a whole 'nother story. Please have a clue before posting and sit on that sh*t for 5 years for all I care.
calm ur nipples.
every dealership is different, your right it does not completely void warranty but it does void the most important part of warranty, such as the drivetrain if i was going to tune it. i have looked around after i created this thread and notice this topic was potsed numerous times on mustang forum and majority had the same view on tunes. which is what we are talking about i this thread.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Steeda Autosports designs, engineers, and manufacturers their own parts. One must realize that for over 23 years, Steeda has been working hand-in-hand with Ford on a vast array of programs, both OEM for their production programs as well as aftermarket part related programs. We have directly worked with Ford on many critical programs over the years, and we were the pilot company to work together with Ford Motor Company under the Ford/SEMA Technology Sharing Initiative. In addition, as a testate to the quality and that goes into each of our products, we are one of only several aftermarket companies that are ISO 9001-2008 certified. What does all of this mean? It all underscores the commitment that we have to produce the highest quality level of products that enhance performance for the niche performance customer using the latest technologies and under the auspices of the Ford Technology Program.

We thoroughly test our products on the street, track, and dragstrip under the most severe conditions - all with the specific intent of ensuring that the products we sell, will NOT precipitate damage to the vehicle or denial of any OEM warranty provisions. To date, we have zero issues or denials with regard to an OEM warranty when our products have been installed as directed on consumer cars - ZERO !

This does not happen by chance, rather it is because of the commitment we have for the up most level of quality, the fact that we design/engineer/manufacture our products under strict ISO 9001-2008 procedures, and also because of our engineering relationship we have with Ford Motor Company. Our products enhance the OEM product without sacrificing reliability, damaging a vehicle, or adversely affecting NVH qualities to the level that many of our competitors do.

The bottom line: One must choose their aftermarket parts wisely so that the integrity of their vehicle is not compromised. In that accord, it is prudent to align yourself with a proven leader in Ford performance parts and accessories, one that works hand-in-hand with Ford Motor Company, and one that designs, engineers, and manufacturers their products under the same ISO quality system that Ford operates under and lastly, one that has a lifetime guarantee on their products. Just be aware that approximately 99% of aftermarket companies do not operate under the strict procedures that Steeda does, therein lies the "Steeda Difference" that you can have confidence with.
Private Message Me About Special Discount Codes
www.steeda.com
Win A $300 Gift Card
tj@steeda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
calm ur nipples.
every dealership is different, your right it does not completely void warranty but it does void the most important part of warranty, such as the drivetrain if i was going to tune it. i have looked around after i created this thread and notice this topic was potsed numerous times on mustang forum and majority had the same view on tunes. which is what we are talking about i this thread.
I like my nipples how they are, thank you! No, you said that the stuff I mentioned (suspension, brakes, etc) would void your warranty, which it will not. If I add a UCA and my engine blows, the engine will be covered.
Old 12-20-2012, 10:42 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I like my nipples how they are, thank you! No, you said that the stuff I mentioned (suspension, brakes, etc) would void your warranty, which it will not. If I add a UCA and my engine blows, the engine will be covered.
you do know that ford has the upper hand, they can make excuses not repairing your car if anything goes wrong even if its not your mod thats causing it. bottom line it is best to consult with your dealer first before modding if your worry about warranty which is what im planning to do when i get my car. have a feeling i wont get it till feb or march.........
Old 12-20-2012, 11:00 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
you do know that ford has the upper hand, they can make excuses not repairing your car if anything goes wrong even if its not your mod thats causing it. bottom line it is best to consult with your dealer first before modding if your worry about warranty which is what im planning to do when i get my car. have a feeling i wont get it till feb or march.........
They tried not replacing my from LCA's cuz of a intake and some mods I got pissed and just left. Consulted a lawyer, went to court eventually the judge was in my favor n won they reinstated my warranty and fixed my LCA's n gave me free oil change and detail. I've explained it all before in another thread

---------- Post added at 10:00 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:59 AM ----------

Quote:
It's a ***** and time consuming but don't be afraid it can be done. Unless ur an idiot and really did mess up your car on that case ur screwed
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 08:20 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by nhcowboy View Post

THIS IS LIKE CRACK.

this is to true for me. haha. nicely put.
Brembo Brake package, 3.73s, Roush axle-back exhaust, 20% tint all around, All lights and reflectors tinted gun smoke, 20X8.5 and 20x10 wheels and tires, Lowered 1.5" with Eibach pro springs, J&M panhard bar, BBK CAI, Bama 93R tune, JLT oil separator, Black "5.0" badge, Black billet shift knob
Yuckooo13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang