Tuner setups - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-19-2012, 09:24 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Tuner setups

I've alway wondered about tuners. I'm jut going to throw out that I'm not getting one till late spring early summer. But can the street, performance and race tunes be used on regular gasoline? Does ethanol affect it? Oh yeah in the GT world I hear about hybrid tunes. Is this available for the v6? And, how long can I run the tune on my car without problems?
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
I've alway wondered about tuners. I'm jut going to throw out that I'm not getting one till late spring early summer. But can the street, performance and race tunes be used on regular gasoline? Does ethanol affect it? Oh yeah in the GT world I hear about hybrid tunes. Is this available for the v6? And, how long can I run the tune on my car without problems?
A good tune you can run forever. Street,performance and race tunes are made to order so you tell them what octane rating. Some tunes like race may require higher octane but they will tell you. Not to hip on the hybrid tunes. If your talking about things like the ghost cam then my answer would be maybe. Yes there is a company making a ghost cam tune for the v6. However, last I here they were having surveying issues at idle. If its something you really want you should do more research.
__________________
"Turn the mic back on" -Winston Churchill
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 12:41 PM   #3
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Tuners (most of them) have 87, 91, and 93 octane tunes. They also have ones for economy and performance. For trucks, they have towing tunes.

They can firm up the shifts for automatic transmission equipped cars.

Most tuner manufactures can make a custom tune for the mods you have installed (I.E. CAI, throttle body, exhaust).

Decide what tune is best for your driving habits.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 12-19-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
I'm talking specifically about the mustang and the sct tuner with bama tunes. I've read around that you can have any of the three tune settings with any octane gas and the durability of a race tune
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 08:29 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I'm talking specifically about the mustang and the sct tuner with bama tunes. I've read around that you can have any of the three tune settings with any octane gas and the durability of a race tune
The race tune is only 91 or 93 octane. I run it everyday on my DD . No problems whatsoever. I am also gettin Bama to make me a 93 street and performance (hybrid) tune.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:13 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Your best bet would be to call the number the AM guys post all the time for technical questions. They would know everything you could ever want to know and then some about tuning our mustangs.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

The race tune is only 91 or 93 octane. I run it everyday on my DD . No problems whatsoever. I am also gettin Bama to make me a 93 street and performance (hybrid) tune.
Have you tried 91 vs 93 tune? There in a Sunoco near me that has "93 ultra" at the pump that I want to give a try. Kinda iffy on running any without a tune tho, I was going to give it a try but had second thoughts.
__________________
"Turn the mic back on" -Winston Churchill
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:17 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
Your best bet would be to call the number the AM guys post all the time for technical questions. They would know everything you could ever want to know and then some about tuning our mustangs.

---------- Post added at 09:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 PM ----------



Have you tried 91 vs 93 tune? There in a Sunoco near me that has "93 ultra" at the pump that I want to give a try. Kinda iffy on running any without a tune tho, I was going to give it a try but had second thoughts.
Running 93 without a tune is just throwing money in the trash. It's pointless. Without a tune your car doesn't realize that you have that octane and doesn't give you the performance of that octane.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

The race tune is only 91 or 93 octane. I run it everyday on my DD . No problems whatsoever. I am also gettin Bama to make me a 93 street and performance (hybrid) tune.
What's the hybrid? Low torque and high hp in their respective ranges?
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
And as for the 91-93. Everyone around her only gas 93 that's why I run it. And its ethanol free where I buy mine so that an even bigger plus.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Running 93 without a tune is just throwing money in the trash. It's pointless. Without a tune your car doesn't realize that you have that octane and doesn't give you the performance of that octane.
I know this isn't the thread like the other that discusses the types of gas and such with our stock ecu. But, I've used plus gasoline or 89 and notice I get the best mpg out of it but it feels like there is no power in the rpm ranges. Like you'll see it go to redline but it won't go. Don't have that problem with regular 87
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:22 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
It's a happy medium between full out race and economy street tune. It's mainly above 3k rpm.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 09:48 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
It's a happy medium between full out race and economy street tune. It's mainly above 3k rpm.
My tach usually stays at 2-3k rpm and doesn't get too far above unless I'm entering the interstate. I'd be interested in that and id practically run it for the rest of the cars days

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

What's the difference between the ethanol free amd ethanol on a stock car? My first tank in the car was premium non ethanol bought by the dealership. It lasted almost two weeks. Ever since I've been running ethanol plus or regular, mainly regular.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:41 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

My tach usually stays at 2-3k rpm and doesn't get too far above unless I'm entering the interstate. I'd be interested in that and id practically run it for the rest of the cars days

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

What's the difference between the ethanol free amd ethanol on a stock car? My first tank in the car was premium non ethanol bought by the dealership. It lasted almost two weeks. Ever since I've been running ethanol plus or regular, mainly regular.
Ethanol free runs cleaner, it burns longer slower = better mpg and all n all makes your car run better and longer. Ethanol is bad for the environment and your fuel system. It has been proven to cause issues with fuel system lines and seals. It's your own choice but I will use real ethanol free as long as I can.
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:48 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post

Ethanol free runs cleaner, it burns longer slower = better mpg and all n all makes your car run better and longer. Ethanol is bad for the environment and your fuel system. It has been proven to cause issues with fuel system lines and seals. It's your own choice but I will use real ethanol free as long as I can.
I usually try to use a particular chevron with it because they sell no ethanol. What would you think ole sea foam would do
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 10:50 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Black on Boss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Perry, GA
Region: Georgia
Posts: 7,204
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

I usually try to use a particular chevron with it because they sell no ethanol. What would you think ole sea foam would do
I bought a can a couple years ago but I've never used it but the ol timers swear by it so ?
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 11:56 PM   #16
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Thanks for the Bama props guys, We really appreciate it! I'd be happy to help all you guys out with a tuner or some custom tunes. Feel free to hit me up if you guys have any questions or would like me to get you in direct contact with a Bama member!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 02:21 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post
Thanks for the Bama props guys, We really appreciate it! I'd be happy to help all you guys out with a tuner or some custom tunes. Feel free to hit me up if you guys have any questions or would like me to get you in direct contact with a Bama member!

-Dan
Hey Dan when you can PM me! I'm having the same problem with my hybrid tune that I had with my street tune. Mike fixed my street tune but has yet to respond to me about my hybrid tune. I emailed him directly a data log of my hybrid tune and it logged right when my issue occurred.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
ViperTran's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx

A good tune you can run forever. Street,performance and race tunes are made to order so you tell them what octane rating. Some tunes like race may require higher octane but they will tell you. Not to hip on the hybrid tunes. If your talking about things like the ghost cam then my answer would be maybe. Yes there is a company making a ghost cam tune for the v6. However, last I here they were having surveying issues at idle. If its something you really want you should do more research.
I've been wondering what's a ghost cam?
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 03:35 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran View Post

I've been wondering what's a ghost cam?
A ghost can is just like a normal tune for ur performance but when at idle the camshaft timings are changed to over lap one another to create the lope you hear when a mustang gets aftermarket cams
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 07:02 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

A ghost can is just like a normal tune for ur performance but when at idle the camshaft timings are changed to over lap one another to create the lope you hear when a mustang gets aftermarket cams
We can't get cams is why right? But they sell camshafts at AM for the 11-13
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 08:23 AM   #21
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Hey Dan when you can PM me! I'm having the same problem with my hybrid tune that I had with my street tune. Mike fixed my street tune but has yet to respond to me about my hybrid tune. I emailed him directly a data log of my hybrid tune and it logged right when my issue occurred.
I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the hybrid tune. I'll Absolutely get you taken care of. Forward me the email you sent to Mike and I'll make sure you're taken care of right away!

dan[dot]bailer[at]americanmuscle[dot]com

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 10:21 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

We can't get cams is why right? But they sell camshafts at AM for the 11-13
It's not because we don't get cams it's just a easy cheap way to make our cars lope like we do. They have the ghost cam tune for 5.0's too
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 04:56 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

I'm sorry to hear that you are having an issue with the hybrid tune. I'll Absolutely get you taken care of. Forward me the email you sent to Mike and I'll make sure you're taken care of right away!

dan[dot]bailer[at]americanmuscle[dot]com

-Dan
Just forwarded you the email!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
13StangGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Fernandina Beach
Region: Florida
Posts: 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

My tach usually stays at 2-3k rpm and doesn't get too far above unless I'm entering the interstate. I'd be interested in that and id practically run it for the rest of the cars days

---------- Post added at 09:48 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:47 PM ----------

What's the difference between the ethanolg free amd ethanol on a stock car? My first tank in the car was premium non ethanol bought by the dealership. It lasted almost two weeks. Ever since I've been running ethanol plus or regular, mainly regular.
I guess I drive harder but I hardly get below 2k rpms and I don't worry with gas mileage much. I get about 18 mpg and I run 93 from shell which I have found to run pretty good. I have only ran 1 tank of pure gas or marine gas 89 Octane wasn't sure about performance but mileage didn't change. I haven't purchased a tuner yet due to wanting to get a few more miles on it before voiding the warranty.
13StangGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 AM   #25
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor
 
AMDanBailer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Region: Pennsylvania
Posts: 2,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
Just forwarded you the email!
Hey Charlie,

It looks like it didn't come through to my Email. Try sending it to Dan.Bailer@americanmuscle.com one more time. If that doesn't work, can you please copy the text and send it to me Via PM!?

Thanks man!

-Dan
__________________
Dan Bailer | AmericanMuscle.com
Toll Free: 866.727.1266| Mon-Fri 9AM-9PM Sat 10AM-4PM EST
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 11:19 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMDanBailer View Post

Hey Charlie,

It looks like it didn't come through to my Email. Try sending it to Dan.Bailer@americanmuscle.com one more time. If that doesn't work, can you please copy the text and send it to me Via PM!?

Thanks man!

-Dan
Just sent it again I copy pasted your email let me know if you don't get it ill try it on my desktop again
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



08:26 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.