axleback vs catback - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-21-2012, 06:10 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaseh504
axleback vs catback

I originally wanted the Roush axle back, but then I wanted more performance gains AND loudness and seen the magnaflow street catback, but the cayback cost WAY more and idk what I should do...
Chaseh504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 06:22 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh504 View Post
I originally wanted the Roush axle back, but then I wanted more performance gains AND loudness and seen the magnaflow street catback, but the cayback cost WAY more and idk what I should do...
I bought Roush Axlebacks and simply went to my mufflers shop told them to cut out the stock piping and make me some 2 3/4 in piping for my car. Cost me 150 so I saved 200-300
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2012, 06:39 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
I was debating the same thing. I was never able to confirm it but someone on this forum mentioned that the 2013 V6 stepped up to 2 3/4" piping stock. If that's true, not sure how much additional gain there is in going with the catback design other than the mandrel bends. Anyone able to verify the diameter of the stock piping on the 2013?
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
I was debating the same thing. I was never able to confirm it but someone on this forum mentioned that the 2013 V6 stepped up to 2 3/4" piping stock. If that's true, not sure how much additional gain there is in going with the catback design other than the mandrel bends. Anyone able to verify the diameter of the stock piping on the 2013?
Idk about the 2013's but my 12 sure didn't!

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Stock 10-12 piping is 2 1/4
Old 12-21-2012, 06:57 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

What size are the pipes on the 2011 v6 mustangs?
Old 12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh504 View Post
What size are the pipes on the 2011 v6 mustangs?
2 1/4
Old 12-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I want to get the diablosport trinity tuner first and then add all my mods to see the increase
Old 12-21-2012, 08:40 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Did a quick search and found the post. My mistake though. The poster said the 2013 had 2.5" piping. Which I believe is similar to most aftermarket V6 pipes.

Flashjmg said:
i heard from AM on the phone that the stock v6 2013 piping is 2.5 inches like the ones that come with catback exhausts

Looking for 2013 Exhaust V6
Old 12-21-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

---------- Post added at 05:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:53 PM ----------

Stock 10-12 piping is 2 1/4
Not the 2010. It's running on the same 4.0 motor. I don't think they stepped it up from 04 so its a 2 inch.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:23 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

So itbwould be better to get catback? With 2.5 inch pipes
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Good question. I haven't done a lot of looking, but it seems finding manufacturer dyno sheets for stock vs aftermarket exhausts is hard to come by. Many say the catback exhausts perform better than axle backs. It would be great to see a dyno sheet with overlay of graphs to confirm. I know magnaflow has dyno sheets but they are for the V8. AM's project V6 is a procharged 400 hp beast and according to their blog it looks like its running he Atak axle backs and a bbk offroad x pipe. This would suggest they still have the 2.25" stock piping. I could have missed some detail but check it out. Maybe shoot them an email to ask their opinion. Or maybe an AM rep will chime in here.
2011 V6 Mustang Project Car - Free Shipping!

My guess is 2.5" would be safe and show an nice increase in hp and tq. Going too large in diameter might cause some loss in a normally aspirated engine especially in the low end range. Again a dyno chart would be ideal and maybe some members have some they might share?
Old 12-22-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
My guess is 2.5" would be safe and show an nice increase in hp and tq.
Although if it's true that the '13 V6 comes with 2.5" piping and is still rated at same hp and tq as the '11-'12, then maybe there really isn't any gain....?
Old 12-22-2012, 11:36 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Although if it's true that the '13 V6 comes with 2.5" piping and is still rated at same hp and tq as the '11-'12, then maybe there really isn't any gain....?
If the pipe is bigger then its better flow so it'll have some affect as far as breathing better. My 11 has 2.5" btw
Old 12-22-2012, 01:03 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
All 05-13 v6's have 2.5" exhaust piping
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 01:41 PM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
A 2013 V-6 needs Cat-Backs if Magnaflow.

Because of the changes in the Mustang Exhaust hangers you would need to get the Cat-Backs if you have a 2013 V-6.

As far as a fatter pipe giving you more power. Maybe a tad at the top RPM"s but you will lose some at the lower RPM"s where you spend most of your time driving.

The Magnaflow axleback Streets for the 2011/2012 V-6 don't fit the 2013.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Stay away from Magnaflow. Too ricey. You won't like them.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 02:49 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Have you heard them or driven in the v6 with them? They sound like an old v8. Not stepping on toes just saying what my ears and many others hear.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
Have you heard them or driven in the v6 with them? They sound like an old v8. Not stepping on toes just saying what my ears and many others hear.
I personally agree with him I don't like flow master or Magnaflow unless their glasspacks
Old 12-22-2012, 06:22 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
get the catback...you will wish you had later. I love my Axle back Flowmasters...but after hearing the other at mustang week...sigh

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:14 PM   #20
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I'm guessing Mister Puma has never heard a Magnaflow

If he had he could never make a statement such as this:

The Puma said::
Quote:
Stay away from Magnaflow. Too ricey. You won't like them.
My Magnaflow Street Axlebacks are not obnoxious and super loud. They have a very deep sound and do not sound like a jap car with a fart can as he wrongly suggests.

When I was at the all Mustang show in Media Pa. that American Muscle put on I heard just about every brand of Mufflers on the V6's that was ever made and I did not hear one single V6 that sounded like a RICER. Some were very loud and others very deep and much softer sounding. There are mufflers made to suit a lot of Mustang V6 owners and I have never heard any that sounded terrible. Some were way to loud for my taste but if that is what the owner likes it was a good choice for them to buy and install them on their car. I personally like my Magnaflow streets because they are not overly loud and with the nice deep rumble they put out sound great to me.

I suggest that anyone looking for a sound they like that they go to a few car shows and listen first hand to some Mustangs with aftermarket exhausts. Plus always find out if you have to cut your stock pipes to install or if any welding is involved. Proper installation is very important so do some research before you buy.

Ronnie
Old 12-22-2012, 09:22 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Amen Ronnie! wish I had waited and got the magnaflows AFTER mustang week...sigh. live and learn

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #22
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi Gttzzoom

I put on my Magnaflow streets when my car was new and drove up to Media from my home in Florida. I was lucky because I loved my Mufflers as soon as I started my car after installing them. I now have 3,500 miles on them and they actually sound better then day one. I'm guessing that the carbon has deaden the sound and made them a little deeper then when new.

Ronnie
Old 12-23-2012, 10:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quick question to all y'all 3.7L V6 guys...I know the pypes mid-muffler is one of the best sounding systems for the 4.0L, anybody know how it sounds on yall's 3.7??
Old 12-23-2012, 12:45 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
Quick question to all y'all 3.7L V6 guys...I know the pypes mid-muffler is one of the best sounding systems for the 4.0L, anybody know how it sounds on yall's 3.7??
These engines may be v6's but they are of different breeds. Any exhaust I've heard (2) has sounded like a nice low rumble or a small v8. I can't compare to a 4.0 engine but I know a 3.8 engine sounds okay with flowmasters. That little info being said, I like pypes on the GT. so I'm gonna say they are gonna be loud, they look like a straight through design. So loud and drony. Assuming. Js
Old 12-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Go to you-tube for sound clips

Clich here>
and here>
I know it is hard to really get the sound 100% on your computer speakers but it is something to get a little research started.

Ronnie
Old 12-23-2012, 08:12 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah I have the pypes mid-muffler catback and love it, just wondered if it sounded good on the 3.7 too

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang