2012 Mustang V6 Standard Underbody Build Sheet - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2012, 07:45 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
2012 Mustang V6 Standard Underbody Build Sheet

This is my build log for my flat under belly on my 2012 Mustang V6 standard. Hopefully I will have a new driveshaft on before it is complete, and I need an oil change soon.

I have already done the dimensions, but want to redo them now that I am working with different materials.

My materials so far:

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121224_084249.png
Views:	689
Size:	382.1 KB
ID:	82315

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121224_084316.png
Views:	498
Size:	371.3 KB
ID:	82316

These are my two boards which will be cut to fill in the bottom. I have more boards, but these are my two biggest ones, and I want the underbody to be as few pieces as possible. I know others have been successful with many small pieces, but I want to keep as few pieces as possible.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 08:38 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Keep us posted. Looking forward to seeing the whole thing finished. Good luck. Be patient!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 04:35 PM   #3
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Region: Florida
I sure hope this works for you.

Some people like Luxury.
Some like speed.
&
Some like to see how many MPG you can get out of an engine.

If anybody is going to hit the 50 MPG on a V6 Mustang I'm betting it will be you.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-24-2012, 05:05 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
This is my build log for my flat under belly on my 2012 Mustang V6 standard. Hopefully I will have a new driveshaft on before it is complete, and I need an oil change soon.

I have already done the dimensions, but want to redo them now that I am working with different materials.

My materials so far:

These are my two boards which will be cut to fill in the bottom. I have more boards, but these are my two biggest ones, and I want the underbody to be as few pieces as possible. I know others have been successful with many small pieces, but I want to keep as few pieces as possible.
What is the point of this?
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:07 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran View Post

What is the point of this?
+1
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #6
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

He is trying for 50 Miles per Gallon on his V6

Like I just said:
Quote:
Some people like Luxury.
Some like speed.
&
Some like to see how many MPG you can get out of an engine.
Ronnie
Old 12-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948
Like I just said:

Ronnie
How does that board help? Clearexplaintion is very much needed from you pros!
Old 12-24-2012, 05:20 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran View Post

+1 I don't understand how it's gna help with MPG
Old 12-24-2012, 06:29 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Streamlines air to reduce drag. Air gets caught and circulates around all your lower body parts. He's keeping it from doing that.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Streamlines air to reduce drag. Air gets caught and circulates around all your lower body parts. He's keeping it from doing that.
Oh okay I get it now.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
+1
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran

Well I am no pro! Lol, just trying to make it work for me. I have seen them on cars from Insights and Metros to 350s and M35s. What I am doing is making the bottom of my car smooth, so as I travel through the air, it is not getting caught on all the things hanging from the bottom of the car. I want to be like a speed boat on the bottom, cutting smoothly through the air.

Similar to the Audi R8 and Ford GT (44). But, the GT has these guide rails for the air, and I believe they actually create low pressure zones for downforce, while mine is just to be smoother.

The board helps in many ways. It is cheap, free for me, easy to cut, is safe to my under body ifnit got ripped off, will not rot away in bad weather, and is extremely light weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

+1 I don't understand how it's gna help with MPG
It is makes it easier for my car to travel through the air. Check out www.aerocivic.com. That ugly car has such a low drag it is probably faster than a lot of Stangs here, compared to that car, we area all driving around with parachutes on our car lol. So the easier I move through the air,the less energy it takes to get to speed, and the less work I must do to maintain speed.

Please note that I am NOT making an aero stang...looks are important. Hence, the belly pan, no visual, but extensive gains.

Quote:
+1

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 12-25-2012, 05:11 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Awesome. I'm sure this would prevent corrosion too by keeping road salt away for those who drive in winter...great idea.
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:53 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Not a bad idea.... Just a thought, I remember a few years back there was a car company that was doing this to a production car. I want to say it was the VW Golf but don't quote me on that. One thing that they were doing and giving praise to was there "dimple" design. Basically, by covering the thin plastic underbody plate in small,closely spaced dimples air would flow more smoothly over them. The comparison made was a round ball vs a golf ball with dimples. I have played a little golf and know that dimple design on a ball can have some effect on how the ball fly's so maybe VW was onto something.... Then again, could have been just another sales pitch to try and convince people that there cars get better mpg. Anyways, if your feeling innovative maybe give it a try.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

lol... Take a ball peen hammer and smack the boards in a regular pattern before theyre installed. DIMPLE DESIGN IS GO!

Old 12-25-2012, 01:02 PM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Mythbusters again

The Myth busters proved that a dimpled car was way more efficient going through the air then a nice smooth car.

Ronnie
Old 12-26-2012, 08:48 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I bet she does Ronnie. That car is gorgeous!
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 10:31 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The Myth busters proved that a dimpled car was way more efficient going through the air then a nice smooth car.

Ronnie
On the other forum that inspired me to do this had a pretty heated debate about this. The end basically concluded that their test procedures were not really the best to see real results.

So I am not arguing either way, I am just bringing up that their results were not precise. For my car, the underbody will not be as effective as a regular Stang. Because of my splitter and partial air dam, I have less drag underneath right now, while if one took this onto a Stang without air dam, or splitter, there would be even better results.

Old 12-26-2012, 01:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
So to change your oil I guess u will have to take all the front sheets off. ?
Old 12-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Just talked to the guy, I thought he had an M series, it is a Q45. His belly pan wasn't complete, just front and rear, and it netted him approximately 2 mpg, while he normally stays in the low 20s. So a full pan should be as high as 10%. On ecomodder, go to garage, search infiniti, and he is mcrews. On his profile he has his whoe build listed, he has an after market bumper, grille block, and belly pan. He had clear rear wheel skirts, but I think they are off now.

---------- Post added at 02:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:03 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991
So to change your oil I guess u will have to take all the front sheets off. ?
Yea, unfortunately. I am getting one in the next week or so, and then real development begins.

Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

How are you dealing with heat from the exhaust, the cats in particular?

Old 12-26-2012, 04:43 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
How are you dealing with heat from the exhaust, the cats in particular?
Cut outs. The space itself will be cut from it. I am still deciding between putting a metal mesh in, or leaving the spot hanging down.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:38 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

What are the boards you are using made of ?

Are they fire proof or at least resistant. We would hate to see you set your car on fire.

Would thin sheets of aluminum cost to much? I think that it would be safer and not prone to fire or water damaging anything if you used aluminum. The pan would be light, strong, and be nice and rigid if aluminum.

Ronnie
Old 12-26-2012, 06:00 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Are they fire proof or at least resistant. We would hate to see you set your car on fire.

Would thin sheets of aluminum cost to much? I think that it would be safer and not prone to fire or water damaging anything if you used aluminum. The pan would be light, strong, and be nice and rigid if aluminum.

Ronnie
In the future I want to do aluminum sheeting, but Corrugated plastic should not burn under these conditions, it would more or less melt. Especially with gravity, as it heats, it should drip down. I don't know for sure, just thinking f past experiences, plastic always heats and melts.

I don't know for sure how it would go if it was like sitting on top, but from all the threads I have read on builds, it has never been a problem.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:08 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Melting plastic is dangerous to breath.

I think you should do some research and think twice about using the corrugated plastic. When I was a Volunteer firemen back in the 70's we hated paneling on houses because almost all of it had a plastic coating that when the house was burning put out a very toxic gas that could actually kill a person and has. House trailers were the worst. Burning plastic is not a very safe thing on the bottom of your Mustang. I know Shelby and other company's use plastic belly pans under the engine but the type of stuff they use is way different then corrugated plastic. The cat's get very,very hot and could cause you big problems with heat. If it were me I would look into sheets of aluminum and do it right the first time. I think you have a great idea but you really need to do it safe and correct the first time. We would all hate to lose you before you hit that 50MPG mark.

Ronnie
Old 12-26-2012, 09:05 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

What about thin sheets of fiberglass?

Old 12-27-2012, 08:06 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So, what about downforce? I like downforce. But how are you making this.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:04 AM   #28
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Fiberglas would probably be expensive and heavy.

I think he is on the right track but the corrugated plastic is really dangerous and not the right material.

Hi Whitelightning, I don't think he is after downforce but he is after smoothing out the airflow around his Mustang for better miles per gallon.

The thing is that the cat's as well as the exhaust pipes get very extremely hot and if he uses plastic it will either catch on fire or melt putting out toxic fumes that could kill him or a person sitting at a stoplight next to him. If not kill someone it could very well hurt their lungs permanently.

I don't think a couple sheets of aluminum and a pop rivet tool would cost a lot to do it right the first time. I'm old school, Do it right or don't do it at all

I would really like to see him get the 50 MPG.

Ronnie
Old 12-27-2012, 09:10 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I think he is on the right track but the corrugated plastic is really dangerous and not the right material.

Hi Whitelightning, I don't think he is after downforce but he is after smoothing out the airflow around his Mustang for better miles per gallon.

The thing is that the cat's as well as the exhaust pipes get very extremely hot and if he uses plastic it will either catch on fire or melt putting out toxic fumes that could kill him or a person sitting at a stoplight next to him. If not kill someone it could very well hurt their lungs permanently.

I don't think a couple sheets of aluminum and a pop rivet tool would cost a lot to do it right the first time. I'm old school, Do it right or don't do it at all

Ronnie
Heat treat and heat wrap the exhaust pipes and cats. That would solve any potential fire or heat related issues from them.
Eturner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:10 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Ronnie
I do appreciate the concern, but it is fine. Nothing goes against the hot stuff, i may do a split down the center, it all depends.

Here are some others who have been successful using this method, fr years now.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ly-pan-79.html
On since 2007
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...ad-1890-3.html
On since 2008
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vic-16422.html
Since 2011, but this one made the center portion where the exhaust is with aluminum
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...q45-11402.html
Since 2009, on a bigger and less efficient engine

Please note, I have not thoroughly read through these in a while, so if you bring up info from it for conversation, please site it so we know the context

Edit: my goal is 600 mptank. 50 would be crazy, I want 40 mpg highway at speed, right now

Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

But without alot of downforce how is the car gonna stick to the road at maybe 60. And to get this right you would probably have to have it completely sealed off at the front so no air gets between it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:48 PM   #32
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

You have a good point White

I'm wondering if the panel on the bottom front of our Mustang's is enough. If you look under your car you will see a flat belly pan under the engine that you have to remove to change the oil filter. The air coming through the front grill cools the radiator as well as feeds air into the stock air-box or if you change it "The CAI" it probably flows out under the car or else the hood would blow off. My car also has a black air dam that hangs down to handle air flow from getting underneath the car.

Ford probably did a heck of a lot of testing in a wind tunnel to get the aerodynamics sorted out on these cars to keep the engine cool and allow air into the air filter box as well as stopping air from lifting the car at high speeds.

I'm really happy with my MPG on my V6 automatic and the lack of wind noise at 85/95 MPH. My last two cars called for 93 octane which costs anywhere from 30 to 60 cents per gallon more the the 87 octane I use. It depends on where I'm stuck buying my gas here in Florida. I'm sure the 18 inch Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires are not the best for getting good MPG on my car.

I sure hope ULTArc does not ruin his car covering up the whole bottom of it.

This is why I love this forum. It gives us all a chance to hash things out and see more sides of things then our own opinions.

Ronnie
Old 12-27-2012, 09:16 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Actually, you don't have to take off the belly pan to change the oil filter. I changed my filter from the top. I just placed a small butter bowl under it to catch the oil, and dropped the filter into it, then pulled it all up and out.

Major time savor and less rolling on the ground.

Old 12-28-2012, 01:32 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
But without alot of downforce how is the car gonna stick to the road at maybe 60. And to get this right you would probably have to have it completely sealed off at the front so no air gets between it.
I have an air dam that the belly pan will come right up to, so there will not be a gap for air to get into. Others doing i have had little spaces air could et into, o forothers who want to try, it should no be a big deal.

As for downforce, gravity will keep me down pretty well. The only reason I would have issues is if I had more lift than force holding me down. I would take a LOT to lift me up. Really, this will keep it the same.

Quote:
I'm wondering if the panel on the bottom front of our Mustang's is enough. If you look under your car you will see a flat belly pan under the engine that you have to remove to change the oil filter. The air coming through the front grill cools the radiator as well as feeds air into the stock air-box or if you change it "The CAI" it probably flows out under the car or else the hood would blow off. My car also has a black air dam that hangs down to handle air flow from getting underneath the car.

Ford probably did a heck of a lot of testing in a wind tunnel to get the aerodynamics sorted out on these cars to keep the engine cool and allow air into the air filter box as well as stopping air from lifting the car at high speeds.

I'm really happy with my MPG on my V6 automatic and the lack of wind noise at 85/95 MPH. My last two cars called for 93 octane which costs anywhere from 30 to 60 cents per gallon more the the 87 octane I use. It depends on where I'm stuck buying my gas here in Florida. I'm sure the 18 inch Pirelli P-Zero Nero tires are not the best for getting good MPG on my car.

This is why I love this forum. It gives us all a chance to hash things out and see more sides of things then our own opinions.

Ronnie
Seeing so many others do it and be successful, I am confident-not arrogant- that it will turn out well. Of course, a lot of testing needs to be done when it is completed, and keep in mind my design is not 100% set. I am not against doing a partial with left and right sides covered and the center being exposed.

I wish I would have taken more photos of the Mustang on its side at NAIAS.

I agree regarding the forum. I appreciate everyones ideas and concerns, if it wan't for the other forum, I would have never even thought of it. No major problems should come of this, but little thins might. Like wasted time and energy, broken boards, little stuff. It is fairly fail safe. IF it was only Metros and Insights with it, I would be concerned, but like the Q45 doing it for years, and cars that have similar issues as mine doing it reassures me there should be no major issues.

Old 12-28-2012, 07:54 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post

Ronnie
The cai gets its air from the driver side grille area. There is a giant hole for it. And as for the plate I think that's just to protect the steering components and critters. Mine got cracked because of my accident and the adjuster didn't see it, so it never was replaced. Before that though there is the chin spoiler and a rubber lip. I'm still reading your response lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
2012 mustang