Auto to manual - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-24-2012, 09:12 PM   #1
Registered Member
Region: Texas
Auto to manual

So I'm not saying I'm going to, but I have an auto and my car is fun and all, but I really regret not getting a manual. What would it cost to change transmissions? Lol

Mattmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:22 PM   #2
ME Bloodhound
Region: California
It will cost enough time and money to where it would have been cheaper and easier to sell yours and buy a manual.

Faster than a speeding...............
2001 Bullitt being prepped for track duty
Corners > Straight line

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 09:28 PM   #3
Registered Member
Region: Alabama
yea, someone started a thread like this a while back, try looking it up
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 PM   #4
Registered Member
Region: Alabama
Not to be a prick, but if you can, buy a manual car or truck. It'll get the bug out. It costs alot in a brand new car. That kind of swap is done in older ones. My 1970 for example is an auto with a 302 boss motor(C/W makeshifted) and for a manual swap it'll take about 4,000 all said and done.

You'll need a dual mass flywheel, clutch, third pedal, the tranny itself, boot, knob, the stuff to make the pedal actually engage and disengage the clutch, probably a computer recalibration since its auto and it will not like you gutting it like that, and above all that a lot of money and time
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 12:25 AM   #5
Registered Member
Region: Kentucky
Not worth the hassle on a newer car that parts are still expensive for. Maybe down the road, when some '11-14 Mustangs are in graveyards.

I've done an engine/tranny swap, made custom wiring harnesses, fabbed small things to make stuff work, but I have no desire to try a manual swap on a newer car. Much better off just trading it in toward the same model.

I quit driving a manual for two years. Summer before last I tried getting a '00 Camaro off a guy with a manual transmission. The deal fell through, but after driving a manual again on the test drive, I knew I was missing something. I made it right when I got my Mustang.
'13 'Stang V6 - MT82 - GHIG Ordered: 5/31 Pickup: 7/3
35% Tint, Homemade Intake (1, 2), GT500 Heat Extractor/Splash Guards, Custom Gas Cap
Barton Shifter Bracket, GHIG Shift Knob

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 06:59 AM   #6
Registered Member
Region: Florida
I ran into a similar issue a few years back. I had an auto "sports car" and was dyeing to get back in a manual. So, instead of spending $ on trading far the same car in manual that I would know nothing about as far as mods and its history. I started searching out OLD performance cars. About a month later I dropped 2500 cash on a 1987 (I think that was the year) Porsche 944 turbo in manual. I gutted the interior the first day and left in only front seats. I then processed to drive the hell out of that car. I still had a reliable DD so I didn't really care about hurting the 944 to bad. I had the car till I bought my mustang, just couldn't afford insurance on two cars after I moved into a house and now am trying to start a family. I will tell you now, I have no regrets. That car was soooooooooooo much fun and nothing beat hoping in an auto and crushing to work when I just wanted to get there.
"Turn the mic back on" -Winston Churchill
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 07:39 AM   #7
Registered Member
Region: Massachusetts
Originally Posted by Soccerluvr4
It will cost enough time and money to where it would have been cheaper and easier to sell yours and buy a manual.

ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang