I need help with V6 grille options - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-27-2012, 04:02 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I need help with V6 grille options

I bought the billet pony delete grille for my pony. Problem is, maybe I'm retarded, but I can't get

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Sorry, hit wrong button. I can't seem to get the factory grille off my 2012. I found a guide on AM but they did an earlier model with metal mounts and mine is plastic. Every time I get one mount off, moving to the next one, the damn thing snaps back on. Anyone got the billet pony delete grille overlay on their 2012 v6? If so, please give me some tips.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 08:12 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
Have you thought about removing the front bumper?
Old 12-27-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Well, you can remove the radiator cover and it will give you some access without having to remove the whole bumper. That said, everyone that has removed the front grill says you just have to keep pulling. PITA.

Pwrdby4d should chime in, I think he went to a MCA grill.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
like these?!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2603896.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	118.5 KB
ID:	83092   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3622186667.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	177.8 KB
ID:	83093  

emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:35 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Yup. Like those.

I'm trying to avoid removing my whole bumper. I keep hearing to just keep pulling. Just afraid I'll damage it and it won't seat correctly again upon reinstall.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:41 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: North Carolina
It is a pain to take it. Took me about 20 minutes of careful prying to get it out. You can do it without removing the bumper. It's just not gonna pop out nice and easy.
aegischief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

oh god.. uhhh.. you take off the black plastic raditior cover I think it is and then there are tabs inside, it's kinda tricky. work on one side first and wiggle it out a tiny bit then try the other side lol

---------- Post added at 10:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:42 PM ----------

oh and for the bottom one, me and my dad while we had the top one out, we didn't even take out the bottom one, just put it on
emery2483 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:48 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

[QUOTE="emery2483;1435990"]oh god.. uhhh.. you take off the black plastic raditior cover I think it is and then there are tabs inside, it's kinda tricky. work on one side first and wiggle it out a tiny bit then try the other side lol
Old 12-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

When you get about half of the tabs out the grill will come right out on its own.
fordfan100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Do you push the tabs completely out of the mount fittings, or just loose of the tabs?
Old 12-27-2012, 11:15 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

You push them out I used two flat head screwdrivers take your time and go one at a time I'll try and find a step by step that is relevant.

---------- Post added at 11:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:12 PM ----------

This should help. Same tabs and everything

http://v6mustangperformance.com/modi...-installation/
Old 12-27-2012, 11:44 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. Thanks man. I really appreciate it. That thread is way more descriptive than AM's. I'll give it a try again and see how it goes. This is the last step in all black and is bothering the crap out of me. Thanks again%2
Old 12-27-2012, 11:51 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

No problem. Just be warned when you get most of the tabs out it will pop out pretty quick it chipped one of my teeth when mine came out and decided to give me a kiss. Lol.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:09 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
No problem. Just be warned when you get most of the tabs out it will pop out pretty quick it chipped one of my teeth when mine came out and decided to give me a kiss. Lol.
Your car now has rights to be called Christine. Just sayin... lol

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:12 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

She showed me who was the boss that day so I named her Kahuna (boss in Hawaiian) and she is kona blue so it fits.
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordfan100 View Post
Haha. I'll keep that%

---------- Post added at 07:33 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:32 AM ----------

In mind.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:10 AM   #17
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Well, you can remove the radiator cover and it will give you some access without having to remove the whole bumper. That said, everyone that has removed the front grill says you just have to keep pulling. PITA.

Pwrdby4d should chime in, I think he went to a MCA grill.
I'm jealous! I wish I would have tried that ....
Old 12-28-2012, 05:13 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I bought the billet pony delete grille for my pony. Problem is, maybe I'm retarded, but I can't get

---------- Post added at 11:02 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Sorry, hit wrong button. I can't seem to get the factory grille off my 2012. I found a guide on AM but they did an earlier model with metal mounts and mine is plastic. Every time I get one mount off, moving to the next one, the damn thing snaps back on. Anyone got the billet pony delete grille overlay on their 2012 v6? If so, please give me some tips.
Not to be a ******* or anything but why don't you invest on a take off GT bumper so you can get all the cool GT goodies
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:21 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I want to but can't find any prices. I emailed AM but haven't heard back yet. I'd way rather get a GT bumper for all the extra options. You have any ideas or input?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:30 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I want to but can't find any prices. I emailed AM but haven't heard back yet. I'd way rather get a GT bumper for all the extra options. You have any ideas or input?
Easy bro, EBAY! Lol I'm debating of buying one myself or buying tires lol ill send u the link to where u can buy it off eBay and they are brand me take offs from GT's converted to Roush mustangs

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

Quote:
I believe this is your color

http://bit.ly/12KOo5i
Old 12-28-2012, 05:40 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Is install do-able for a medium experienced person? You know how long it'll take?

Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna do that. 250 is extremely reasonable for all the upgrades the GT has over the V6. Again, thanks for your help.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is install do-able for a medium experienced person? You know how long it'll take?

Thanks for your help man. I really appreciate it. I'm definitely gonna do that. 250 is extremely reasonable for all the upgrades the GT has over the V6. Again, thanks for your help.
The bumper comes off really easy man. We did my friends black stang and it comes off in like 5 minutes for us and it will prolly take like 30 for a first time guy. And just do the 225 bid no one ever bids bro. And no problem man! If I can help a fellow mustang owner I will.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:11 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmiller View Post
I'm jealous! I wish I would have tried that ....
I just grabbed my grille and sat on the ground and pulled it out. Gotta get your fingers in the grille holes very firm. The pull like you are trying to move the car. Lay down tape across the bumper cover in front so you dont scratch it up.

Once you have the upper out the lower is the same but a bit easier as you can get a better grip and u can see the clips one the upper is out.

Took me 15 min to replace. I did do the MCA grilles.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:12 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Here's what I did when I duck taped my grille back in, took one or two flat head screwdrivers and bent the plastic and the grille piece. When I had that set I hit it out with my hand. I for some reason you're doing lower, it has pushpins and your outside air temp sensor attached to it. The grille surround is sturdy though so pull will do it. Now to read the read of the responses lol
Old 12-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post

I just grabbed my grille and sat on the ground and pulled it out. Gotta get your fingers in the grille holes very firm. The pull like you are trying to move the car. Lay down tape across the bumper cover in front so you dont scratch it up.

Once you have the upper out the lower is the same but a bit easier as you can get a better grip and u can see the clips one the upper is out.

You must be as strong as Hercules!!! I pulled and pulled and my guy pulled and pulled... We ended up just taking the front bumper off lol
Glad we did bc with the CDC you have to cut two pieces off of the bumper to make it fit ...Taking it completely off gave us better access to cut the pieces
Old 12-28-2012, 09:21 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post

This didn't break the plastic mounts attached to the vehicle holding the OEM grille in place?
Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Nope. Maybe I got lucky but I read a post somewhere else of a guy doing it so I tried it and it came out clean.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:19 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Word dude. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna try it in the morning. Hopefully it works out as good as your situation. Have a good one, bro.
Old 12-28-2012, 03:17 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Word dude. I really appreciate it. I'm gonna try it in the morning. Hopefully it works out as good as your situation. Have a good one, bro.
Keep us posted. Good luck. Ya gotta pull really hard and when it lets loose it happens fast so be sure not to land on your ***.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:04 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Easy bro, EBAY! Lol I'm debating of buying one myself or buying tires lol ill send u the link to where u can buy it off eBay and they are brand me take offs from GT's converted to Roush mustangs

---------- Post added at 04:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:28 AM ----------

I believe this is your color

http://bit.ly/12KOo5i
No. Don't do eBay. Most of them are complete crap or have damage. I went body shop route and paid my guy to get one, paint it right so it won't chip later, and he gave it to me to install. An easy 450 for grille and everything. Js

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

Quote:

I never took apart a mustang front end in my life. I took it apart in maybe a good 1-1.5 hours. But I had a nice high car lift. With jacks and such I'd give it 2. It's not hard; just remember where all the panels line up and what screws go where.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:43 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

No. Don't do eBay. Most of them are complete crap or have damage. I went body shop route and paid my guy to get one, paint it right so it won't chip later, and he gave it to me to install. An easy 450 for grille and everything. Js

---------- Post added at 05:04 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:02 PM ----------

I never took apart a mustang front end in my life. I took it apart in maybe a good 1-1.5 hours. But I had a nice high car lift. With jacks and such I'd give it 2. It's not hard; just remember where all the panels line up and what screws go where.
Bro 5 of my buddies here all bought their bumpers from this seller. They are oem new bumpers taken off to do a Roush conversion I can personally vouch for this seller
Old 12-28-2012, 07:12 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

Bro 5 of my buddies here all bought their bumpers from this seller. They are oem new bumpers taken off to do a Roush conversion I can personally vouch for this seller
Almost did this...then just got the Roush front end

Its better, if you can do it.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:28 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

That may be, but for $250 I've seen alot o crap with these bumpers. Many wont even return them and say, what you get is final. The roush site is a good source. I'm not an eBay person honestly. Ill let someone who makes their living tearing new cars apart do it.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Almost did this...then just got the Roush front end

Its better, if you can do it.
I don't like how it mimics a camaro with the big point. But they are the ones that can be painted and are readily available brand new from most sellers like AM and late model.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:56 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

That may be, but for $250 I've seen alot o crap with these bumpers. Many wont even return them and say, what you get is final. The roush site is a good source. I'm not an eBay person honestly. Ill let someone who makes their living tearing new cars apart do it.

---------- Post added at 10:28 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:26 PM ----------

I don't like how it mimics a camaro with the big point. But they are the ones that can be painted and are readily available brand new from most sellers like AM and late model.
Will the Roush bumper fit the V6?
Old 12-29-2012, 03:27 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma

Will the Roush bumper fit the V6?
Fits like a charm on my 2012 v6

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang