She rolled away! - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-29-2012, 08:49 AM   #36
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandawilliams View Post
Is when you live in a very cold climate-(Colorado for me) and you have been driving on snow/slushy roads. Setting the brake when parked will likely freeze the cable/brake system and you wont go anywhere until it thaws out. Better to park in gear (manual) on something close to level ground.
Ugh, when I was hauling VW parts from Canada to Mexico, I'd forget once in awhile when up in the adirondack mountains. I'd get to spend the next 2 hours whaling on my brake chambers with a rubber mallet trying to free them up. In that scenario, F the brakes, chock your wheels! Lol
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:07 AM   #37
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
Another good tip for you auto and manual guys n gals.

The parking brake should be the first thing you apply when you park and the last thing you release before you drive away.
Always set the parking brake before to take your foot off the brake pedal. Then place the car in park or 1st. This prevents strain on the gear especially if you're parking on a slope or incline. This eliminates that clunk when shifting out of park when parked on a slope.
Remember, your transmission is not a kickstand.
+1
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:13 AM   #38
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Is when you live in a very cold climate-(Colorado for me) and you have been driving on snow/slushy roads. Setting the brake when parked will likely freeze the cable/brake system and you wont go anywhere until it thaws out. Better to park in gear (manual) on something close to level ground.
I never had that happen to me, and I live in Montreal.guess I was lucky. I always use both, e-brake and first, even on a flat road.I remember driving my parents car when I was younger and when I pulled their handbrake the cable snapped because she never used it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:20 AM   #39
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Colorado
I only had the emergency brake freeze up happen to me once and it is something you wont forget soon but I have had to go help friends and relatives thaw theirs out when they forgot to 'not set it' in cold weather. It is no fun trying to thaw out a frozen emergency brake it sub-freezing weather.
sandawilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:29 AM   #40
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I only had the emergency brake freeze up happen to me once and it is something you wont forget soon but I have had to go help friends and relatives thaw theirs out when they forgot to 'not set it' in cold weather. It is no fun trying to thaw out a frozen emergency brake it sub-freezing weather.
I can imagine! Now I've said its never happened to me I bet I get outside and mines frozen! Lol
Old 12-29-2012, 10:02 AM   #41
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
I've had the shoes on mine try to stick on my Stratus (my driveway is on an incline), but letting the car start to roll back was enough to pop it loose.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:19 PM   #42
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
Theyre all just names that become the norm in your area. I grew up with ebrake, but I know what someone means when they say parking or hand brake. Thats like saying "grinder" is the wrong name for a " sub". Its just different. Stupid to say its wrong to use one or the other.
Youre correct. I was responding to the remark that it cant be used in emergencies. Yes it can and should be should there be any hydraulic failure of your brakes. To say that you can lock up the manual brake is not to imply stupidity but to prove a point it will stop your car. It doesnt matter if you call it a mad wife brake its purpose is the same. The terms parking brake and emergency brake are used interchangeably in the automotive world to refer to a purely mechanical brake system that can be actuated in the event of hydraulic failure, or used to secure a car when the motor is off and the car is parked. The term used depends on the scenario. In an emergency situation, the emergency or e-brake can be used to stop a car safely. In daily use, the parking brake is used as a safety measure to prevent the car from rolling. Like the rest of the brake system, this brake should be regularly inspected to ensure that it is performing properly.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #43
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012

Youre correct. I was responding to the remark that it cant be used in emergencies. Yes it can and should be should there be any hydraulic failure of your brakes. To say that you can lock up the manual brake is not to imply stupidity but to prove a point it will stop your car. It doesnt matter if you call it a mad wife brake its purpose is the same. The terms parking brake and emergency brake are used interchangeably in the automotive world to refer to a purely mechanical brake system that can be actuated in the event of hydraulic failure, or used to secure a car when the motor is off and the car is parked. The term used depends on the scenario. In an emergency situation, the emergency or e-brake can be used to stop a car safely. In daily use, the parking brake is used as a safety measure to prevent the car from rolling. Like the rest of the brake system, this brake should be regularly inspected to ensure that it is performing properly.
I didn't realize anyone said it can't be used for that. Maybe they meant to be careful, or that is not the primary purpose anymore. I know the one individual noted how they/relative pulled it and it snapped from just being pulled- I didn't notice the post, but who knows. That same thing happened to the AST instructor, he had an auto and the brakes failed, and he pulled the parking brake and it just snapped. I learned my lesson through him, use the parking brake as LAST resort, down shift, whatever you can do to stop without it, then use it.

I really appreciate when this forum can get together and not argue, but just express view points. Not to be all hand holding and koom by ah singing, but often I see one try to express themselves, and others attack lol. Ronnie, I appreciate that info, that is interesting. Makes me feel nit crazy that they call it that in the manual, never thought to see what Ford refers to it as.

Does anyone know about the units in Lincolns and other vehicles that just use a flip switch? Where the brake is just an on and off? That always reassured the parking brake theory, as you wouldn't want to use it while in motion as it is so.likely to snap, but does anyone know more or have experience with them?

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:14 PM   #44
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Region: Georgia
Send a message via Skype™ to 99ford
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

I didn't realize anyone said it can't be used for that. Maybe they meant to be careful, or that is not the primary purpose anymore. I know the one individual noted how they/relative pulled it and it snapped from just being pulled- I didn't notice the post, but who knows. That same thing happened to the AST instructor, he had an auto and the brakes failed, and he pulled the parking brake and it just snapped. I learned my lesson through him, use the parking brake as LAST resort, down shift, whatever you can do to stop without it, then use it.

I really appreciate when this forum can get together and not argue, but just express view points. Not to be all hand holding and koom by ah singing, but often I see one try to express themselves, and others attack lol. Ronnie, I appreciate that info, that is interesting. Makes me feel nit crazy that they call it that in the manual, never thought to see what Ford refers to it as.

Does anyone know about the units in Lincolns and other vehicles that just use a flip switch? Where the brake is just an on and off? That always reassured the parking brake theory, as you wouldn't want to use it while in motion as it is so.likely to snap, but does anyone know more or have experience with them?
I have no clue, but my uncle has a Jaguar and was like here don't keep your foot on the brake press this. It auto released when you hit the gas. I know that's not exactly what your asking.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 PM   #45
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

I have no clue, but my uncle has a Jaguar and was like here don't keep your foot on the brake press this. It auto released when you hit the gas. I know that's not exactly what your asking.
Hmm. I wonder if the Lincolns do that. I don't really/haven't really driven the LS V8, Continental, MKS, or MKZ we had. I only saw it on the LS, to be precise, I just infer the four more recent we had were the same, although the continental probably did not.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #46
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

And in a real emergent doesn't stop the car like popular belief.

---------
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:32 PM   #47
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Point for Autos

Not ever a problem in an Auto.
2013 Silver V6 Premium, Ford Racing Handling Package, MGP Black Caliper Covers, Airaid CAI, Bama Tuner, BBK Catted X-Pipes, Corsa Sport Axle-Back Exhaust, Alum One Piece Driveshaft, BBK Ceramic Shorties, Whiteline Adj. UCA, Whiteling ADJ. Lower Control Arms, Whiteline Adj. Pan Hard Bar, Upgraded Rotors (Cross Cut and Drilled), Ceramic Pads, J&M Stainless Steel Brake Lines (Front and Back), 18" Staggered Chrome Bullitts, MMD Eleanor Side Scoops, Side Scoops, Roush Front and Lower Grilles and Super Snake Stripes.
NewMtang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:58 PM   #48
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
But we can pop the clutch in a MT! :p
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:59 PM   #49
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelman View Post
But we can pop the clutch in a MT! :p
I can jump mine :p
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #50
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I was at my cousins house about to leave. It was cold so I was in my car jetting it warm up. Cousins boyfriend had his car started he went back inside and I didn't know that at the time. His car started rolling back thinking he was just backing up I just stayed in my car. Well it was actually rolling back went through a bush a stopped in a bush line. He came out and I couldn't stop laughing..

Follow me on instagram @nicknold for car and truck pictures
1lowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:14 PM   #51
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

Hmm. I wonder if the Lincolns do that. I don't really/haven't really driven the LS V8, Continental, MKS, or MKZ we had. I only saw it on the LS, to be precise, I just infer the four more recent we had were the same, although the continental probably did not.
I've driven a few LS's and they didn't have that feature, but they were older. I don't think the MKZ had it either since it is basically a fusion. Now, I want to march down to my dealership!
Old 12-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #52
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewMtang View Post
Not ever a problem in an Auto.
Autos can still roll away.. -> my mishap
Oh No another
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #53
Road Trip!

Region: Florida
I don't get it. How do you let your car roll away? That's the equivalent of trying to back out of a parking space forgetting your in drive and mashing thru the front window of a store.
Mikeyt03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #54
Staff
Blogger
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikeyt03 View Post
I don't get it. How do you let your car roll away? That's the equivalent of trying to back out of a parking space forgetting your in drive and mashing thru the front window of a store.
**** happens we're only human
Old 12-29-2012, 11:32 PM   #55
Road Trip!

[QUOTE="99ford;1439159"]

Autos can still roll away.. -> my mishap
Oh No another[/QUOTE

Yeah, if you jump out of your car while its in drive. That's the only way.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #56
Road Trip!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford View Post

**** happens we're only human
Hmm...yeah I don't know. Mistakes like that can cause serious injury.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:39 PM   #57
Registered Member
Regular

Or you broke the parking pawl. My uncle did that on an old Chevy truck he had. It treated park like neutral.

I don't see how you can park a car and not be in park. You're either leaving it in drive, which you know will make it roll, or putting it in neutral. I never put a auto in neutral except on special occassions.

Old 12-29-2012, 11:46 PM   #58
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Or you broke the parking pawl. My uncle did that on an old Chevy truck he had. It treated park like neutral.

I don't see how you can park a car and not be in park. You're either leaving it in drive, which you know will make it roll, or putting it in neutral. I never put a auto in neutral except on special occassions.
I saw ur stang at food city today !!! U need plasti diped wheels
Old 12-30-2012, 04:40 AM   #59
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99ford

I've driven a few LS's and they didn't have that feature, but they were older. I don't think the MKZ had it either since it is basically a fusion. Now, I want to march down to my dealership!
Hell yea! I may have to stop by check them out tomorow.

Old 12-30-2012, 09:37 AM   #60
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Since we are talking about our e-brakes,(Alabama) how do you adjust the cable inside the console? Because after pulling on the thing for close to a year it seems to not be as tight and forgives more.

Sorry for diverting away from the story of being run over by your cars and what we call our brake handles.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #61
Registered Member
Regular

It uses your rear brake pads. If they're worn you'll need to pull it more.

That said, I had to adjust my Stratus by disassembling the console. There was a turnbuckle inside to remove play. Id wager the Mustang is similar.

Old 12-30-2012, 01:25 PM   #62
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
It uses your rear brake pads. If they're worn you'll need to pull it more.

That said, I had to adjust my Stratus by disassembling the console. There was a turnbuckle inside to remove play. Id wager the Mustang is similar.
It is but not dismembering. Do you pull it up first? Never done it so idk lol

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang