to tune or not to tune.... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-28-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
to tune or not to tune....

So, I have a 2012 V6 that I love (dont we all). I bought it CPO with low miles and still have the new car warranty plus payed extra for an extended CPO Warranty. I love the car as it is now however, I cant stand looking like all the rest. I mentioned the warranty because Im iffy about tuning and dont want to void it really since I payed for it. I have some American Muscle gift certificates (thanks pop's) that are asking to be used but cant decide if I should go for a tune or not. I was thinking of lowering the car and plan on getting a pan hard bar from another member here soon so that will be done already if I decide to lower. Honestly, the car has enough power for now but the shift points on the auto are pissing me off. I had a B&M shift plus on my last auto and it was great. I could shift faster than most the manual guys and at WOT would chirp tires into second... just wish there was a way to do it without screwing up my drivetrain warranty. I know that lowering will void my suspension warranty but if anything happens I will just go back to stock and take her to a dealer(frowned upon? maybe, but when was the last time you had a truly honest car dealer....dont worry,i'll wait)... however, not so easy with a tune. So, back to the point... to tune or not to tune? other options would be lowering, new grille(really like the black billet from AM), maybe front/rear diffuser, open to other options.... opinions?
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
So I didn't even finish reading but yes tune the **** out of it!!! You'll love it!!! That risk makes it that much better!! No but if you re worried then wait
gqsmash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
The only practical reason I want a tune, and something that bothers me daily, is the friggin throttle hang when I shift. The car thinks I should casually shift and is slow to drop RPMs (emissions feature!). I'm constantly shifting faster than it drops, even during casual driving, let alone WOT runs. I feel sorry for the poor clutch disc and synchros.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
Most everyone will tell you to tune. But if you're worried about warranty then just wait. It's not worth a few more hp if warranty is a worry. Yes you can feel a difference but it's not like slapping on a procharger. Wait it out and when the warranty is up get your car tuned. Tune is a great mod and anyone who has one will recommend it.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:42 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
So, I have a 2012 V6 that I love (dont we all). I bought it CPO with low miles and still have the new car warranty plus payed extra for an extended CPO Warranty. I love the car as it is now however, I cant stand looking like all the rest. I mentioned the warranty because Im iffy about tuning and dont want to void it really since I payed for it. I have some American Muscle gift certificates (thanks pop's) that are asking to be used but cant decide if I should go for a tune or not. I was thinking of lowering the car and plan on getting a pan hard bar from another member here soon so that will be done already if I decide to lower. Honestly, the car has enough power for now but the shift points on the auto are pissing me off. I had a B&M shift plus on my last auto and it was great. I could shift faster than most the manual guys and at WOT would chirp tires into second... just wish there was a way to do it without screwing up my drivetrain warranty. I know that lowering will void my suspension warranty but if anything happens I will just go back to stock and take her to a dealer(frowned upon? maybe, but when was the last time you had a truly honest car dealer....dont worry,i'll wait)... however, not so easy with a tune. So, back to the point... to tune or not to tune? other options would be lowering, new grille(really like the black billet from AM), maybe front/rear diffuser, open to other options.... opinions?
B&M shift plus? Do they have it for our 2013 autos? And if so where?
Mattmyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:49 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Buy Ford Racing gears, have a authorized ford racing dealership install them and there you go! Tell them to tweak the shift points if it's a legit ford racing dealer they will firm up the shift points if not that's okay either way ur car is gna really get a upgrade with gears man!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:22 AM   #7
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

No Tuner for the V6 yet from Ford Racing

When I was at S.E.M.A. and talked to the guy at Ford Racing I asked about a Tuner for the V6. They have one for the GT but not the V6. I was told that they may or may not be working on one because at this time they did not feel enough interest in one. Same for a CAI for the V6. They sell the K&N drop in for the V6 but not a CAI or tuner.

Now that this is the third year for the 3.7 maybe they will start producing some doodies for us that want to buy them.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Connecticut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
The only practical reason I want a tune, and something that bothers me daily, is the friggin throttle hang when I shift. The car thinks I should casually shift and is slow to drop RPMs (emissions feature!). I'm constantly shifting faster than it drops, even during casual driving, let alone WOT runs. I feel sorry for the poor clutch disc and synchros.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
When I was at S.E.M.A. and talked to the guy at Ford Racing I asked about a Tuner for the V6. They have one for the GT but not the V6. I was told that they may or may not be working on one because at this time they did not feel enough interest in one.
Yeah, theyre kidding themselves. Make that $ FR!
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Couldn't agree more! That is really a pain in the ***!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Drive around for awhile. And wait on the tuner. After I used up my factory I tuned my car. I've taken my car for warranty work but nothin to do with the drivetrain so they never noticed.
silvrbullet2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmyr View Post

B&M shift plus? Do they have it for our 2013 autos? And if so where?
I did some looking and couldn't find anything for the 3.7 mustangs. B&M is a respected name when it comes to short throw shifters and stuff like that. You can see there products on there website if your interested.

---------- Post added at 08:23 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:19 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Buy Ford Racing gears, have a authorized ford racing dealership install them and there you go! Tell them to tweak the shift points if it's a legit ford racing dealer they will firm up the shift points if not that's okay either way ur car is gna really get a upgrade with gears man!
Not a bad idea at all... I will have to look into this. It just kills me to overpay a ford racing place to do it when I could go to Steeda that's 2 hours from me and get it done for half the price and still know its done rite. Maybe I can contact them and just get my shift points firmed up.
Old 12-30-2012, 08:42 AM   #12
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The real shame is this

Ford Racing makes a tuner for the GT's but does not have one for us V6 3.7 people that would really like to have one.

Notice where it say's it will not ruin your warranty. (If dealer installs it)
It really suck's that it is not available for the 3.7 V6,

Ronnie
Old 12-30-2012, 08:54 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ford Racing makes a tuner for the GT's but does not have one for us V6 3.7 people that would really like to have one.

Notice where it say's it will not ruin your warranty. (If dealer installs it)
It really suck's that it is not available for the 3.7 V6,

Ronnie
Just what a lot of us would be looking for! Any word if it will ever be available for our sixers? I still don't understand why you can buy Ford racing gears for the 3.7 but no factory tune is available....even just for spedo calibration!
Old 12-30-2012, 09:06 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
The tune voiding the warranty has been covered in countless threads across countless forums across this board and many others. Doing independent research online and at your local dealer is your best bet. It's been shown over and over tuning will come at the cost of your factory warranty.

Any posts to the contrary will be deleted as they are false and misleading.
Old 12-30-2012, 09:57 AM   #15
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi MrMike

I'm trying to get a way to contact "FORD RACING" now. If I can get an E-Mail address we could all probably suggest getting this for our 3.7 engines.

Hi Deadspot,
My information was right from "FORD"

http://www.fordracingpartsdirect.com...acks_s/239.htm

Ronnie
Old 12-30-2012, 10:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I'm trying to get a way to contact "FORD RACING" now. If I can get an E-Mail address we could all probably suggest getting this for our 3.7 engines.

Hi Deadspot,
My information was right from "FORD"

Ronnie
Right on! Please keep me/us posted!
Old 12-30-2012, 10:23 AM   #17
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

I will

I did have a Business card from one of the big shots at Ford Racing I got when I was at the S.E.M.A. show but can't find it anyplace. I tore my whole house apart looking for it but it has not turned up. I'm gonna keep looking for it.

Ronnie
Old 12-30-2012, 11:41 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

From what I've heard, those Ford Racing tunes don't do much of anything. But no personal experience.
CYCLON37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:52 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
When you said you'd go back to stock, did you only mean suspension?
If you meant tune, as well, your computer leaves a time stamp every time you change the tune, so ford can tell if it'd been played with
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by alrefire View Post

When you said you'd go back to stock, did you only mean suspension?
If you meant tune, as well, your computer leaves a time stamp every time you change the tune, so ford can tell if it'd been played with
Old 12-30-2012, 03:45 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
TUNE!!! My Bama tuner from AM is my favorite mod I've gotten so far. Just talk to your local dealer and see if they will do warranty work with a tune. Some do, some don't.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 09:48 AM   #22
AmericanMuscle.com
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
TUNE!!! My Bama tuner from AM is my favorite mod I've gotten so far. Just talk to your local dealer and see if they will do warranty work with a tune. Some do, some don't.
This is a very common debate and believe me, you're not alone! Like said above, most people (including myself) are going to recommend a tune. The 11+ V6's really wake up from a CAI and Tune Combo kit! This is always the first modification I recommend to anyone entering the modification game.

However if you're worried about the warranty, then it may be better to hang in there until your warranty is up. I would definitely recommend giving your local Ford dealer a call like Puma said and see what they think! Some dealers will void your warranty and some understand the true meaning of a warranty and understand tuning and wont void it.

Ford left a lot on the table for your V6 and we can help you find that missing power, throttle response, shift points, gas mileage etc..

I hope this helps! Let me know if I can be of any assistance or if you have any questions. Our Bama Performance tuning specialists are here in the building Monday-Friday from 9AM-5:30PM EST and Saturday 9AM-5:30PM EST. You can hit them up directly at 888.226.9764 and they'll get you squared away!

-Dan
Bama Direct: 888.226.9764| Mon-Fri 9AM-5:30PM EST
FREE SAME-DAY SHIPPING IN THE US-48 AND PRICE MATCHING!
AMDanBailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:21 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Thanks Dan
Old 01-02-2013, 08:38 AM   #24
Road Trip!

Tune it, mention zip to your dealer if you need warrantee or any work put it back to stock... You know the old saying what Mama don't know won't hurt her. One suggestion... Keep it under 120mph if you go with a tune the driveshaft may break on you past 130mph. Good luck!
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:46 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

I plan on keeping the stock limiter. There is no reason to go that fast on a public road. If I start to hit it at the strip then I will have it taken off for the race tune but at that point I will also need to get a new shaft anyways.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang