Off road pipes - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 12-30-2012, 08:53 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Off road pipes

Browsing around AM and noticed a lot of off road pipes, does that mean Its illegal to install on my car? What's the differences from a off road pipe and on road? Last question is if I get headers will I need an off road pipe of does it connect to the stock pipes?
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Off road pipe means no catalytic converters and yes its illegal in most states cause you wont pass emmisions test. There are off road pipes made for stock exhaust manifolds and aftermarket headers. They also make hi flo cat pipes as well. Hope this helps. WARNING- off road pipes are super loud!!!!!
Sampey43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:03 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran
Browsing around AM and noticed a lot of off road pipes, does that mean Its illegal to install on my car? What's the differences from a off road pipe and on road? Last question is if I get headers will I need an off road pipe of does it connect to the stock pipes?
Offroad means that they do not have cats on them...some states do not have inspection so you can throw them bad boys on...catted pipes(on road) have cats on them... And depending on what header you get...if you get longtube headers you will need a shorty midpipe...if you get shorty headers it will connect to normal length midpipes
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-31-2012, 07:00 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doe_Rae_mi

Offroad means that they do not have cats on them...some states do not have inspection so you can throw them bad boys on...catted pipes(on road) have cats on them... And depending on what header you get...if you get longtube headers you will need a shorty midpipe...if you get shorty headers it will connect to normal length midpipes
Ohhh thanks bud
Old 12-31-2012, 07:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran

Ohhh thanks bud
No problem
Old 12-31-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

I've looked around AM and I can't seem to find anything that's street legal, everything for the v6 is mostly off road. Any suggestions?
Old 12-31-2012, 08:24 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Oh there are street legal options, they're just in the $1k price range, which is rather stupid considering Magnaflow cats can be had for less then $100 each. And offroads are illegal, whether they do emissions tests or not, just it's harder to get caught and ticketed for it. It's a Federal law.

My suggestion: Run offroad as-is or buy an offroad and have 2 Magnaflows welded in for $200 more. Stay legal, help mother nature, and don't pay out the nose.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin
Oh there are street legal options, they're just in the $1k price range, which is rather stupid considering Magnaflow cats can be had for less then $100 each. And offroads are illegal, whether they do emissions tests or not, just it's harder to get caught and ticketed for it. It's a Federal law.

My suggestion: Run offroad as-is or buy an offroad and have 2 Magnaflows welded in for $200 more. Stay legal, help mother nature, and don't pay out the nose.
Thanks! I'm just trying to pass inspection
Old 12-31-2012, 09:18 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran View Post
I've looked around AM and I can't seem to find anything that's street legal, everything for the v6 is mostly off road. Any suggestions?
Cut ur catts and weld in High Flow catts

Still legal and same performance as no catts
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Louisiana
Send a message via Skype™ to Chaseh504
Would I be able to get bbk long tube headers and off road shorty x pipes and Roush axle backs with out needing something else?
Chaseh504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:08 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh504 View Post
Would I be able to get bbk long tube headers and off road shorty x pipes and Roush axle backs with out needing something else?
Nope, long tubes and shorty x pipes and axle backs is all you need. Just leave the stock mid pipes and you're good.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma

Nope, long tubes and shorty x pipes and axle backs is all you need. Just leave the stock mid pipes and you're good.
Shorty x pipes are the midpipes Though??
Old 01-02-2013, 09:59 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

They are the front portion of the mid pipe. The long tubes and shorty x pipe replace the shorty headers and cats and hybrid h pipe you have stock. You will still use the section of exhaust behind the hybrid h pipe that connect to your axle backs. The only way to bypass using the stock rear portion is to get a cat back exhaust. Then you would have a full new exhaust.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:12 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post

You made no sense bro? Lol what do u mean leave the stock mid pipes? The LT and Xpipe replace everything except the over the axle piping aka the catback portion.

---------- Post added at 09:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaseh504 View Post
Yes that's all you would need to make it LOUD AND RASPY. Buy some resonators to be welded in on the catback piping after the xpipe to take the sound or your car is gna be LOUD AS FUC$
Old 01-02-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

That is exactly what I just said. LT headers, x pipe, cat back exhaust tubing(stock) then axle backs.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:51 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
That is exactly what I just said. LT headers, x pipe, cat back exhaust tubing(stock) then axle backs.
You said leave the "stock mid pipes" which is the H-pipe that gets taken out with LT and xpipe?
Old 01-02-2013, 10:56 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

I said the lower portion of the mid pipe. Technically, the stock hybrid h pipe and cat back tubing is considered the middle of the exhaust system, hence, mid pipe. At any rate, I think the thread owner gets the point.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:00 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I said the lower portion of the mid pipe. Technically, the stock hybrid h pipe and cat back tubing is considered the middle of the exhaust system, hence, mid pipe. At any rate, I think the thread owner gets the point.
I guess I consider the mid pipe the xpipe or Hpipe and the rest is the catback to me. But yea I'm sure he gets it
Old 01-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

You're right. The cat back is also called that. And technically the h or x pipe is considered the mid pipe. My bad on choice of words.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:06 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
You're right. The cat back is also called that. And technically the h or x pipe is considered the mid pipe. My bad on choice of words.
While we're on the subject I need to get a catback done for my car lol I have my headers and xpipe but stock catback piping
Old 01-02-2013, 11:09 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma
Lol I was confused for a second but didn't want to start a argument
Old 01-02-2013, 11:11 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

All you need is axle backs. With o/r x pipe and headers, the folks told me at AM that the stock cat back piping is more than enough restriction free flow. They basically told me once the cats are gone, you have an extremely high flow system. Waste of money. They said it'd give you maybe one horsepower or even cause too much flow and not enough back pressure. All the axle backs will do is give you a much more aggressive sound. No hp gain. What headers and x pipe do you have?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:20 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
All you need is axle backs. With o/r x pipe and headers, the folks told me at AM that the stock cat back piping is more than enough restriction free flow. They basically told me once the cats are gone, you have an extremely high flow system. Waste of money. They said it'd give you maybe one horsepower or even cause too much flow and not enough back pressure. All the axle backs will do is give you a much more aggressive sound. No hp gain. What headers and x pipe do you have?
Hmmm I didn't know that! I have the BBK LT Headers and Catted shorty X-Pipe and Roush Axlebacks
Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, that's what AM said when I was getting a quote on mine. I was pretty set on replacing the whole cat back, but they talked me out of spending more. I figure it's gotta be true if they're talking themselves out of a sale, right...?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, that's what AM said when I was getting a quote on mine. I was pretty set on replacing the whole cat back, but they talked me out of spending more. I figure it's gotta be true if they're talking themselves out of a sale, right...?
Yea when they talk themselves out of a sale that's when u know it's not worth it
Old 01-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, so I'm just not going to mess with the cat back. Once I save enough for a supercharger, I'm going to get a cat back GT exhaust, just because I'll be pulling way more air in. Until then, I'm gonna save the few hundred dollars on two steel tubes.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:48 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, so I'm just not going to mess with the cat back. Once I save enough for a supercharger, I'm going to get a cat back GT exhaust, just because I'll be pulling way more air in. Until then, I'm gonna save the few hundred dollars on two steel tubes.
What do u mean GT exhaust? Don't u got haul exhaust or no?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:51 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

The GT exhausts are a larger diameter pipe. No need for it unless you have forced induction. I was saying I'm leaving my cat pipes alone until I save up enough to get a twin screw supercharger. Then, having larger piping will help. Until then it's kind of a waste of money.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

What is a haul exhaust?
Old 01-02-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
The GT exhausts are a larger diameter pipe. No need for it unless you have forced induction. I was saying I'm leaving my cat pipes alone until I save up enough to get a twin screw supercharger. Then, having larger piping will help. Until then it's kind of a waste of money.

---------- Post added at 06:51 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:50 PM ----------

What is a haul exhaust?
Meant to say dual my bad
Old 01-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

I don't have true dual. I was told by quite a few people that for maximum hp and torque gains, LT headers, high flow or cat delete x pipe, is the best way to go. Something about the way the x pipe helps mix the air in a specific way to get 2-5 more hp out of your mid pipe set up. Appears you true dual doesn't allow this.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

*appears that
Old 01-02-2013, 11:59 AM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't have true dual. I was told by quite a few people that for maximum hp and torque gains, LT headers, high flow or cat delete x pipe, is the best way to go. Something about the way the x pipe helps mix the air in a specific way to get 2-5 more hp out of your mid pipe set up. Appears you true dual doesn't allow this.

---------- Post added at 06:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:57 PM ----------

*appears that
Ohhh okay seems legit
Old 01-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Yeah, sorry I don't quite know the science to what I'm claiming, I'm just going off of what I was told by people I know who know more than me about this stuff.
Old 01-02-2013, 12:08 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Yeah, sorry I don't quite know the science to what I'm claiming, I'm just going off of what I was told by people I know who know more than me about this stuff.
Yea I get you man
Old 01-08-2013, 10:49 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
If one is concerned about staying legal and want performance gains for there 11 plus v6 American musscle sells BBK high flow catted x pipe. Fits up to the BBK long tube headers. The only issue is the high flowing catted x pipe is like 450.00 dollars. The off road x pipe is like 150.00 but it won't pass emissions if you live in a area where emissions are.

From my understanding, the high flowing catted x pipe will give you the same great open flow as the off road x pipe. Except the catted x pipe will suck your wallet down faster. But you will pass emissions. Not sure how loud the high flowing catted x pipe compared too the off road x pipe
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
If one is concerned about staying legal and want performance gains for there 11 plus v6 American musscle sells BBK high flow catted x pipe. Fits up to the BBK long tube headers. The only issue is the high flowing catted x pipe is like 450.00 dollars. The off road x pipe is like 150.00 but it won't pass emissions if you live in a area where emissions are.

From my understanding, the high flowing catted x pipe will give you the same great open flow as the off road x pipe. Except the catted x pipe will suck your wallet down faster. But you will pass emissions. Not sure how loud the high flowing catted x pipe compared too the off road x pipe
They are about the same honestly

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang