Cheap full synthetic oil? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-01-2013, 08:39 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
What's the least expensive fully synthetic oil online do u use? Whats the link? I did hear that fully synthetic is much better than blend synthetic
Flashjmg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Any quality synthetic is about the same price. The premium synthetics (amsoil and royal purple) are too rich for the benefits imo.

I just get Mobil one at Walmart. You can get 6 quarts for about $30.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg View Post
What's the least expensive fully synthetic oil online do u use? Whats the link? I did hear that fully synthetic is much better than blend synthetic
Motor craft full synthetic from ford
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2013, 10:39 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quaker State full synthetic is my choice!
08Mustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 11:21 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
MOBILE 1 I just did mine like 8 hours ago lol
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:58 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashjmg View Post
I use royal purple with matching filter and Lucas Oil additive. Car runs great 23k miles in
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

I used Quaker State synthetic in my '97 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L 2V V8 and its never once been in the shop and its at 265,000 miles!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post
I use royal purple with matching filter and Lucas Oil additive. Car runs great 23k miles in
Lucas is just a super thick oil additive. No reason to run it, I wouldn't. It's good for stopping leaks and quieting valves, but I'm not running it in a new car. Especially one that requires oil as thin as ours.

---------- Post added at 12:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:12 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08Mustang View Post
I used Quaker State synthetic in my '97 F-150 Lariat with the 5.4L 2V V8 and its never once been in the shop and its at 265,000 miles!
Whats the inside of the valve cover look like when looking through the oil cap? I'm kinda curious.

Old 01-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Washington
I purchased synthetic oil at Baxters (local parts store) and replaced the autotranny, rear end, front end (it is a 4X4 dodge 3500), and the engine oil. Just bought the most reasonable priced stuff, and gained 3 mpg, with engine oil changes extended to 15K. Economy in longevity. The truck runs smoother, stronger, and cooler.

Do the math, spend $4/qt on synthetic, $2/qt on regular, change the oil 15K on synthetic, or 3K on regular. That $2 oil now costs $10 in 15K miles, while the synthetic is $4 in 15K miles. 2 1/2 times more expensive, while doing a poor job, not counting the savings at the pump.
mtnman325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:52 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Any quality synthetic is about the same price. The premium synthetics (amsoil and royal purple) are too rich for the benefits imo.

I just get Mobil one at Walmart. You can get 6 quarts for about $30.
Maybe you can help me out. I've read that Mobil 1 isn't full synthetic either. And there's several different Mobile 1's.
what's the real scoop.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

I mentioned this in another thread. It's full synthetic, or what the industry considers it, but I think they still use crude oil for something. The only pure, high tier synthetics you can get that I'm aware of, are the two brands I mentioned.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:33 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I mentioned this in another thread. It's full synthetic, or what the industry considers it, but I think they still use crude oil for something. The only pure, high tier synthetics you can get that I'm aware of, are the two brands I mentioned.
Thanks so I can assume Mobile 1 is same as Motorcraft full synthetic. Interestingly my dealer stocks Mobile 1 and you have to special order the Motorcraft. Do you recommend the standard
Mobile 1 or the extended 15 k mile one?
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:06 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

I don't let my car even go 10k miles, so I see no point in the extended version.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I don't let my car even go 10k miles, so I see no point in the extended version.
10K?!?! I don't get to 5k!!
Old 01-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

10k is the recommended interval for the newest Mustangs.

Old 01-03-2013, 02:34 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
10k is the recommended interval for the newest Mustangs.
I don't care man, spending a little cash every 4-5 months to positively insure engine life is no cost to me! But whatever your preference though
Old 01-03-2013, 08:19 PM   #17
Registered Member

Regular

Region: Michigan
There really is no need today to change oil as frequently as we used to (I remember even having to change spark plugs, points/condensor, and checking gap on the valves every 3,000 miles - glad we don't have to do that anymore too).

The oil change places and oil sellers are in the business though of ---------SELLING YOU STUFF. So they keep people thinking that it has to be changed every 3,000 miles.

Ford is the one who is on the hook for engine failure during the warranty period. So they of course will err on the side of caution to some extent, but if they say you can go longer then why don't you believe them?

On my 2006 4.0 I changed the oil at 5,000 miles, which is what was recommended then. Then I started sending out a sample to Blackstone Labs. They had me stretch the interval, even with the Xcharger and weekend drag racing, to 8,000 and were saying I should be able to stretch it further. Engine life? The car had 203,000 miles on it when I sold it, still running strong and putting down 12 second passes at the track. The new owner says it is still running strong and he plans to take it to the drag strip; everything checks out on the engine, good compression on all cylinders.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:20 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post
There really is no need today to change oil as frequently as we used to (I remember even having to change spark plugs, points/condensor, and checking gap on the valves every 3,000 miles - glad we don't have to do that anymore too).

The oil change places and oil sellers are in the business though of ---------SELLING YOU STUFF. So they keep people thinking that it has to be changed every 3,000 miles.

Ford is the one who is on the hook for engine failure during the warranty period. So they of course will err on the side of caution to some extent, but if they say you can go longer then why don't you believe them?

On my 2006 4.0 I changed the oil at 5,000 miles, which is what was recommended then. Then I started sending out a sample to Blackstone Labs. They had me stretch the interval, even with the Xcharger and weekend drag racing, to 8,000 and were saying I should be able to stretch it further. Engine life? The car had 203,000 miles on it when I sold it, still running strong and putting down 12 second passes at the track. The new owner says it is still running strong and he plans to take it to the drag strip; everything checks out on the engine, good compression on all cylinders.
+1. I just follow regular intervals as per Ford.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

I run Amsoil OW-30 with the matching Amsoil filter. Both are rated for 25k. My dad is an Amsoil dealer so I get a good deal.
PBrown92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 11:33 AM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Legacy
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via AIM to SpectorV
get the best quality you can (amsoil or RP are good) and change it less often = win lol
2003 Cobra Vert (Redfire) #3938 of 5082 @ 05/27/2003
472rwhp/493rwtq -Modification List - Dyno Sheet
2012 Mustang 3.7L M6 (Kona Blue)
2011 Ford Edge Sport (Red Metallic)
SpectorV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:17 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I honestly won't go over 3k without a change. No matter what it's rated for...

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

Worth eighty bucks in oil and filter for peace of mind...
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:33 PM   #22
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
Maybe you can help me out. I've read that Mobil 1 isn't full synthetic either. And there's several different Mobile 1's.
what's the real scoop.
Go to their site...they have an excellent tool that allows you to select the best type of Mobile 1 based on mileage, driving habits, etc. Simple as that!

---------- Post added at 01:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
+1. I just follow regular intervals as per Ford.
X3

---------- Post added at 01:33 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post

---------- Post added at 07:17 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:14 PM ----------

You're wasting your money then...synthetics allow for longer intervals between oil changes. If you insist on 3K oil changes, then save your money and use a semi-synthetic such as Motorcraft.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:22 PM   #23
Registered Member

Regular

Quote:

If you really want peace of mind, do yourself a favor and go to blackstone-labs.com They will send you a free kit to sample your oil and return it to them. The analysis is only $25 and they will give you a comprehensive report. If you need to change oil at 3,000 miles they will tell you. They will also tell you what wear factors are showing up so you have an idea of the health of your engine.

You may both save yourself some money and get that peace of mind you are seeking. As it is, you are just spending money and hoping that translates to peace of mine.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:24 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC View Post

If you really want peace of mind, do yourself a favor and go to blackstone-labs.com They will send you a free kit to sample your oil and return it to them. The analysis is only $25 and they will give you a comprehensive report. If you need to change oil at 3,000 miles they will tell you. They will also tell you what wear factors are showing up so you have an idea of the health of your engine.

You may both save yourself some money and get that peace of mind you are seeking. As it is, you are just spending money and hoping that translates to peace of mine.
Actually spending the money is guaranteeing my piece of mind, not hoping for it
Old 01-05-2013, 03:54 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

^^^+1

Look at it this way... Brand new engine. Fluid changes every 3k... Guarantees a peace, not piece, of mind.

Thanks for the advice on blackstone, though. Already did it and they told me I'm changing more often then needed, but said if I have the money, go for it.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:22 AM   #26
Admin

Supporter
Admin

There is so much misconceptions of motor oils these days. Simply put, synthetics allow for longer intervals between oil changes. Semi-synthetics included. As an example, you could use the non synthetic oils and change your oil every 3 thousand miles, and have long engine life. Switching to semi synthetic improves over non synthetic by increasing the temperature rate at which oil begins to sludge. Most auto manufacturers recommend semi synthetic as a "base", meaning use semi over non synthetic. You'll notice its hard to find "dyno" (non synthetic motor oil) these days. The price is darn near equal.
Using full synthetic is designed for those who are hard on their vehicle, for example trucks that tow, folks that drive in dusty/dirty conditions, or those that wish to change their oil less frequently. Most full synthetics are rated anywear between 7K to 15K between oil changes, again, provided you are not considered a "hard" driver, or operate under harsh conditions.
So, if you are a "normal" driver and insist on frequent changes, use semi-synthetic, and change your oil every 3 to 4K. If you use full synthetic, let it stay in the engine longer.

Ford recommends a minimum of semi synthetic as the "base", and they even state it can stay in the engine 7 to 10K using a good quality oil filter such as the Motorcraft filter. They designed the oil pan of the 3.7 to hold an additional quart of oil (larger than other V6's) for this reason. You can rest assured that following Ford's recommendation will not cause any harm on the engine.

Ford equipped our Mustangs with the "life of oil left" in percentage readout the "information center" (in the speedo area) that tells you when to change the oil based on your driving habits. They did a great job to make it easy for us.

But if you have money burning a hole in the pocket....buy and install an oil catch can for the passenger side breather tube. You'll be shocked as to how much oil mist travels from the upper engine (blow by), through this tube, and back to the intake to be mixed and burned off, polluting the fresh fuel air mixture.....
Old 01-06-2013, 03:40 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

So long winded bro... I understand. I'm not 'special' or 'retarded'... I'm simply saying 'yes, I change my oil way too often and I prefer to baby my car!' Just an opinion dude. No need to go off and write me an essay...

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

An I have an oil separator. Works great. Well worth the money.
Old 01-06-2013, 05:32 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
I agree puma. I run amsoil and filter rated at 25k. I still change it at 3-5k. I don't put that many miles on the car so I just change it every spring.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:12 AM   #29
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
So long winded bro... I understand. I'm not 'special' or 'retarded'... I'm simply saying 'yes, I change my oil way too often and I prefer to baby my car!' Just an opinion dude. No need to go off and write me an essay...

---------- Post added at 10:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:38 AM ----------

An I have an oil separator. Works great. Well worth the money.
Gotta spend some time and read to learn.....

Those that chose to spend money on high end oil and remove it after short term intervals are wasting money. Plain, short, and simple. But it's your money bro, do with it what you want.

Hopefully others are willing to read and make different choices with their money.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:24 AM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko
Gotta spend some time and read to learn.....

Those that chose to spend money on high end oil and remove it after short term intervals are wasting money. Plain, short, and simple. But it's your money bro, do with it what you want.

Hopefully others are willing to read and make different choices with their money.
As far as that goes synthetic oils are a waste. I have two Ford trucks, one with 330k, the other with 280k mi. I've never ran anything but valvoline dino oil in them. Only thing I've ever done to them is change the plugs. I run amsoil in the mustang for the extra HP.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:51 AM   #31
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
As far as that goes synthetic oils are a waste. I have two Ford trucks, one with 330k, the other with 280k mi. I've never ran anything but valvoline dino oil in them. Only thing I've ever done to them is change the plugs. I run amsoil in the mustang for the extra HP.
Yep, your statement of synthetic being a waste of money is absolutly true, if you change it every 3K. I could not agree with you more. For me, it is not a waste, as I drive my Mustang between 2800 and 3200miles a month, which would require me changing the oil once a month. Following the synthetic manufacturers recommended change interval works for me. Keeps me from spending an hour under the car each month changing the oil.

To increase that interval, I use synthetic and change every 3 to 4 months.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM   #32
Registered Member

Regular

We drive about the same bucko - my 2006 with supercharger and racing on the weekends went 203,000 miles changing oil between 8,000 and 9,500 miles. Still runs strong today according to the new owner.

The new 2013 I picked up in June and already have 19,500 on it. I've changed the oil according to the Ford meter on the car so only twice so far. I have no concern based upon my experience in the past. And Ford is the one who is on the hook for the warranty so I'm sure that they have taken everything into consideration.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Some engines should not be given synthetic, especially older models.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc
Some engines should not be given synthetic, especially older models.
My 05 developed the notorious smoke on start up, the very next day after switching. Ran 35k mi without doing it til then.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:59 AM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4

My 05 developed the notorious smoke on start up, the very next day after switching. Ran 35k mi without doing it til then.
I know for fact, engines known for cracks or leaks should not use synthetic. Can't think of any Mustangs, but some friends have Monte Carlos, and they were leaking with regular oil let alone synthetic, it was causing engine fires, actually.

So the more likely to have a space for oil to leak out, the less confident one should be in using synthetic.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang