At what RPM do you launch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
FOX21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 95
At what RPM do you launch?

Just want to know whats the best RPM to launch at on a manual for the best take off.
FOX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
BlackedStang's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 744
Around 2,000-2,500 RPM seems to work best for me.
__________________
2012 V6 Performance Package
BlackedStang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX21 View Post
Just want to know whats the best RPM to launch at on a manual for the best take off.
Depends on the conditions... On a normal 70* day on the street i launch between 2500/3000. talking at the strip that could go 500-1000 more depending on the track... There are a lot of variables to think about.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Finrdz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: DHS
Region: California
Posts: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post

Depends on the conditions... On a normal 70* day on the street i launch between 2500/3000. talking at the strip that could go 500-1000 more depending on the track... There are a lot of variables to think about.
Would you mind elaborating on those variables please
Finrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Air temp, tire temp, engine temp, winds sometimes, what tires, what safeties you have on, what shifting are you doing (power shift, quick shift, etc), stuff like that
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
When I went to the stip out here I tried 2000 -2500 and could not get to much traction . It had a lot of wheels hop to . I'm running stock wheels though. And the track is kinda slick
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Road Trip!
 
dobypaw3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Upstate NY
Region: New York
Posts: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrdz View Post

Would you mind elaborating on those variables please
Really elaborate? There is track/road conditions. temperature, elevation, etc. I could be here all day and still might not get threw to everyone. But here are a few. Drag strip surface is a lot more sticky than say your average back road so you can launch at a higher rpm. You would not launch the same rpm at 80 degrees as say 30 degrees. A person in Denver CO will not launch at the same rpm as a person in Dayton FL. Someone with 3.73 gears will launch at a different rpm than 2.73 gears. Like I said, I could be here all day and these are some extreme elaborations. But I hope it is satisfactory enough to get my point across.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
When I went to the stip out here I tried 2000 -2500 and could not get to much traction . It had a lot of wheels hop to . I'm running stock wheels though. And the track is kinda slick
Biggest issue is the 7" wide rear tires that come stock. Next time do a decent burn and try to get them sticky.... a good thing to do also is wait for whoever is in the other lane to do there burn first, this means less time between your burn and the green light. if your on drag radials its not as big of a deal but stock street tires dont hold heat well. Also try launching at lower RPM's then add from there. if you can get a little hop but not break them loose then you have found the limit for the day.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
I've honestly never done a burnout in my pony. I do not go to the track and honestly only practice hard launches... Weak, I know, but I worry too much. Worried I'm gonna mess my baby up.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I've honestly never done a burnout in my pony. I do not go to the track and honestly only practice hard launches... Weak, I know, but I worry too much. Worried I'm gonna mess my baby up.
your doing more damage to your car doing hard launches than you ever will doing a burnout. stand on the break and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds to turn off all traction control features then do a burnout as you usually would. if you do it that way you are only putting wear on your tires and breaks. If you leave traction control on then you are going to burn thru break pads and could overheat your disc's. those hard launches are beating up your transmission, clutch, and even your axle and rear end. Dont go around jumping off every red light you can unless you want people like me laughing at you when you have no more 1st gear or clutch.... you have been warned.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
How is a burnout doing less damage than a hard launch? Done right, it's nicely off the line,!and once the clutch is disengaged, it pedal down...? And no, I'm not some ******bag who screams out at every light. Most of the time, I'm an easy 2k rpm then shift so I'm not too loud and obnoxious. To be honest, other than rev the motor, and drop the clutch, I really don't even know how to burn out. Never tried. I don't do the 2-3k rpm launches. I do easy until pressure is off my clutch, then burn it.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Also, please explain stand in brake and hold down traction control button? I've heard of this, but am unclear on what it does.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
How is a burnout doing less damage than a hard launch? Done right, it's nicely off the line,!and once the clutch is disengaged, it pedal down...? And no, I'm not some ******bag who screams out at every light. Most of the time, I'm an easy 2k rpm then shift so I'm not too loud and obnoxious. To be honest, other than rev the motor, and drop the clutch, I really don't even know how to burn out. Never tried. I don't do the 2-3k rpm launches. I do easy until pressure is off my clutch, then burn it.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Also, please explain stand in brake and hold down traction control button? I've heard of this, but am unclear on what it does.
It disengages the traction control and advance trac features so you can break it loose! If you push it just once traction control will disengage, if you push and hold for 5 seconds advance trac and traction control disengage. Have fun! Hope this helps.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

It disengages the traction control and advance trac features so you can break it loose! If you push it just once traction control will disengage, if you push and hold for 5 seconds advance trac and traction control disengage. Have fun! Hope this helps.
Don't do that in rain. You can get her sideways either on or off but for launches I use it on. Less play and a tad more grip. But what do I know, I'm running the safest, grippiest passenger tire right now lol

In my auto I go around 1500-200 launch and it'll be up to 60 before you can say shapow
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy
 
lowflyn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Region: Mississippi
Posts: 19,890
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
4200 and sidestep the clutch personally...
__________________
"I'm not driving too fast...just flying too low"
Mine:
-03 SB Cobra vert- 2552 of 5082 Born 02/25/03
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
335
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
It disengages the traction control and advance trac features so you can break it loose! If you push it just once traction control will disengage, if you push and hold for 5 seconds advance trac and traction control disengage. Have fun! Hope this helps.
you need to be pressing down on the break pedal while you hold the button down for 5 sec to disengage the traction control and advance trac. just presing the button once or holding it down without the breaks applied will only turn off advance trac.... just an FYI.... and yea, dont play with it in the rain lol.

here is a quick vid on how to do it in a manual but he doesnt turn off his traction control, you will want to do that.... and no, this is not me

rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
monkey13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 787
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

your doing more damage to your car doing hard launches than you ever will doing a burnout. stand on the break and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds to turn off all traction control features then do a burnout as you usually would. if you do it that way you are only putting wear on your tires and breaks. If you leave traction control on then you are going to burn thru break pads and could overheat your disc's. those hard launches are beating up your transmission, clutch, and even your axle and rear end. Dont go around jumping off every red light you can unless you want people like me laughing at you when you have no more 1st gear or clutch.... you have been warned.
+1000
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

you need to be pressing down on the break pedal while you hold the button down for 5 sec to disengage the traction control and advance trac. just presing the button once or holding it down without the breaks applied will only turn off advance trac.... just an FYI.... and yea, dont play with it in the rain lol.

here is a quick vid on how to do it in a manual but he doesnt turn off his traction control, you will want to do that.... and no, this is not me

Right on, I thought I included that! Opps! : )
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Don't do that in rain. You can get her sideways either on or off but for launches I use it on. Less play and a tad more grip. But what do I know, I'm running the safest, grippiest passenger tire right now lol

In my auto I go around 1500-200 launch and it'll be up to 60 before you can say shapow
Yep! I did it in a empty parking lot after it rained! So much fun,but could be evil on the roads 4 sure!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
rebeltx's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Florida
Posts: 809
no joke man... There is an abandoned warehouse not to far from me that I go play in every now and then... even got rolled up on by a cop once but I just played it cool and went over to talk to him. Real nice guy, he said that technically I was not supposed to be there and that what I was doing was destruction of private property but the building was condemned for structural reasons so It didn't really matter. He would rather see people playing there than out on the roads, "just stay safe and keep it off the street" was his only real advice.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
no joke man... There is an abandoned warehouse not to far from me that I go play in every now and then... even got rolled up on by a cop once but I just played it cool and went over to talk to him. Real nice guy, he said that technically I was not supposed to be there and that what I was doing was destruction of private property but the building was condemned for structural reasons so It didn't really matter. He would rather see people playing there than out on the roads, "just stay safe and keep it off the street" was his only real advice.
Nice cop!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Cool. Thanks for all the help and free education on the subject. I think I might just go try a burnout for the first time ever. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm headed to Cologne today so maybe I'll do it there. Let you know how it goes.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
UltArc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Ohio
Posts: 1,782
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

Don't do that in rain. You can get her sideways either on or off but for launches I use it on. Less play and a tad more grip. But what do I know, I'm running the safest, grippiest passenger tire right now lol

In my auto I go around 1500-200 launch and it'll be up to 60 before you can say shapow
I don't think I have ever in my life said "shapow" lol
__________________
2012 Mustang EPA: 19/29
2012 AeroStang: 40/46

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
pwrby4d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Region: Arizona
Posts: 1,020
I would just skip the burnout on the stock tires. U r just glazing them which makes them greasy. It makes your car launch worse. Drag radials are the way to go. Skip the water box if u arent on an appropriate tire. Tires that arent slicks or drag radials dont ever get hot enough to get sticky..They get slippery instead. The tire compound isnt soft enough.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
Schram1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 289
1800-2000 when i do 2200 no traction might be because of gears
__________________
Borla catback s-type Borla Long tube off road x pipe
Jlt carbon fiber intake / BBk TB
J&M panhard bar J&M extreme lower control arm /relo
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



05:20 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.