At what RPM do you launch? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:23 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
At what RPM do you launch?

Just want to know whats the best RPM to launch at on a manual for the best take off.
FOX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 08:26 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Around 2,000-2,500 RPM seems to work best for me.
Old 01-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #3
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX21 View Post
Just want to know whats the best RPM to launch at on a manual for the best take off.
Depends on the conditions... On a normal 70* day on the street i launch between 2500/3000. talking at the strip that could go 500-1000 more depending on the track... There are a lot of variables to think about.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 09:00 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by FastV6 View Post

Depends on the conditions... On a normal 70* day on the street i launch between 2500/3000. talking at the strip that could go 500-1000 more depending on the track... There are a lot of variables to think about.
Would you mind elaborating on those variables please
Finrdz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Air temp, tire temp, engine temp, winds sometimes, what tires, what safeties you have on, what shifting are you doing (power shift, quick shift, etc), stuff like that
Old 01-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
When I went to the stip out here I tried 2000 -2500 and could not get to much traction . It had a lot of wheels hop to . I'm running stock wheels though. And the track is kinda slick
Old 01-02-2013, 10:25 AM   #7
Road Trip!

Region: New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finrdz View Post

Would you mind elaborating on those variables please
Really elaborate? There is track/road conditions. temperature, elevation, etc. I could be here all day and still might not get threw to everyone. But here are a few. Drag strip surface is a lot more sticky than say your average back road so you can launch at a higher rpm. You would not launch the same rpm at 80 degrees as say 30 degrees. A person in Denver CO will not launch at the same rpm as a person in Dayton FL. Someone with 3.73 gears will launch at a different rpm than 2.73 gears. Like I said, I could be here all day and these are some extreme elaborations. But I hope it is satisfactory enough to get my point across.
dobypaw3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
When I went to the stip out here I tried 2000 -2500 and could not get to much traction . It had a lot of wheels hop to . I'm running stock wheels though. And the track is kinda slick
Biggest issue is the 7" wide rear tires that come stock. Next time do a decent burn and try to get them sticky.... a good thing to do also is wait for whoever is in the other lane to do there burn first, this means less time between your burn and the green light. if your on drag radials its not as big of a deal but stock street tires dont hold heat well. Also try launching at lower RPM's then add from there. if you can get a little hop but not break them loose then you have found the limit for the day.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I've honestly never done a burnout in my pony. I do not go to the track and honestly only practice hard launches... Weak, I know, but I worry too much. Worried I'm gonna mess my baby up.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:06 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I've honestly never done a burnout in my pony. I do not go to the track and honestly only practice hard launches... Weak, I know, but I worry too much. Worried I'm gonna mess my baby up.
your doing more damage to your car doing hard launches than you ever will doing a burnout. stand on the break and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds to turn off all traction control features then do a burnout as you usually would. if you do it that way you are only putting wear on your tires and breaks. If you leave traction control on then you are going to burn thru break pads and could overheat your disc's. those hard launches are beating up your transmission, clutch, and even your axle and rear end. Dont go around jumping off every red light you can unless you want people like me laughing at you when you have no more 1st gear or clutch.... you have been warned.
Old 01-02-2013, 02:23 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

How is a burnout doing less damage than a hard launch? Done right, it's nicely off the line,!and once the clutch is disengaged, it pedal down...? And no, I'm not some ******bag who screams out at every light. Most of the time, I'm an easy 2k rpm then shift so I'm not too loud and obnoxious. To be honest, other than rev the motor, and drop the clutch, I really don't even know how to burn out. Never tried. I don't do the 2-3k rpm launches. I do easy until pressure is off my clutch, then burn it.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Also, please explain stand in brake and hold down traction control button? I've heard of this, but am unclear on what it does.
Old 01-02-2013, 03:51 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
How is a burnout doing less damage than a hard launch? Done right, it's nicely off the line,!and once the clutch is disengaged, it pedal down...? And no, I'm not some ******bag who screams out at every light. Most of the time, I'm an easy 2k rpm then shift so I'm not too loud and obnoxious. To be honest, other than rev the motor, and drop the clutch, I really don't even know how to burn out. Never tried. I don't do the 2-3k rpm launches. I do easy until pressure is off my clutch, then burn it.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------

Also, please explain stand in brake and hold down traction control button? I've heard of this, but am unclear on what it does.
It disengages the traction control and advance trac features so you can break it loose! If you push it just once traction control will disengage, if you push and hold for 5 seconds advance trac and traction control disengage. Have fun! Hope this helps.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:44 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

It disengages the traction control and advance trac features so you can break it loose! If you push it just once traction control will disengage, if you push and hold for 5 seconds advance trac and traction control disengage. Have fun! Hope this helps.
Don't do that in rain. You can get her sideways either on or off but for launches I use it on. Less play and a tad more grip. But what do I know, I'm running the safest, grippiest passenger tire right now lol

In my auto I go around 1500-200 launch and it'll be up to 60 before you can say shapow
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Legacy Member
Legacy

Region: Mississippi
Send a message via AIM to lowflyn
4200 and sidestep the clutch personally...
Our's:
90 7up vert - new project-07 DSG Focus -DD
lowflyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:11 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
you need to be pressing down on the break pedal while you hold the button down for 5 sec to disengage the traction control and advance trac. just presing the button once or holding it down without the breaks applied will only turn off advance trac.... just an FYI.... and yea, dont play with it in the rain lol.

here is a quick vid on how to do it in a manual but he doesnt turn off his traction control, you will want to do that.... and no, this is not me

Old 01-02-2013, 05:21 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

your doing more damage to your car doing hard launches than you ever will doing a burnout. stand on the break and hold the traction control button for 5 seconds to turn off all traction control features then do a burnout as you usually would. if you do it that way you are only putting wear on your tires and breaks. If you leave traction control on then you are going to burn thru break pads and could overheat your disc's. those hard launches are beating up your transmission, clutch, and even your axle and rear end. Dont go around jumping off every red light you can unless you want people like me laughing at you when you have no more 1st gear or clutch.... you have been warned.
+1000
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:46 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

you need to be pressing down on the break pedal while you hold the button down for 5 sec to disengage the traction control and advance trac. just presing the button once or holding it down without the breaks applied will only turn off advance trac.... just an FYI.... and yea, dont play with it in the rain lol.

here is a quick vid on how to do it in a manual but he doesnt turn off his traction control, you will want to do that.... and no, this is not me

Right on, I thought I included that! Opps! : )
Old 01-02-2013, 05:56 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

Don't do that in rain. You can get her sideways either on or off but for launches I use it on. Less play and a tad more grip. But what do I know, I'm running the safest, grippiest passenger tire right now lol

In my auto I go around 1500-200 launch and it'll be up to 60 before you can say shapow
Yep! I did it in a empty parking lot after it rained! So much fun,but could be evil on the roads 4 sure!
Old 01-02-2013, 06:03 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

no joke man... There is an abandoned warehouse not to far from me that I go play in every now and then... even got rolled up on by a cop once but I just played it cool and went over to talk to him. Real nice guy, he said that technically I was not supposed to be there and that what I was doing was destruction of private property but the building was condemned for structural reasons so It didn't really matter. He would rather see people playing there than out on the roads, "just stay safe and keep it off the street" was his only real advice.
Old 01-02-2013, 06:12 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
no joke man... There is an abandoned warehouse not to far from me that I go play in every now and then... even got rolled up on by a cop once but I just played it cool and went over to talk to him. Real nice guy, he said that technically I was not supposed to be there and that what I was doing was destruction of private property but the building was condemned for structural reasons so It didn't really matter. He would rather see people playing there than out on the roads, "just stay safe and keep it off the street" was his only real advice.
Nice cop!
Old 01-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Cool. Thanks for all the help and free education on the subject. I think I might just go try a burnout for the first time ever. I'll let you know how it goes. I'm headed to Cologne today so maybe I'll do it there. Let you know how it goes.
Old 01-03-2013, 07:00 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning

I don't think I have ever in my life said "shapow" lol

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:49 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
I would just skip the burnout on the stock tires. U r just glazing them which makes them greasy. It makes your car launch worse. Drag radials are the way to go. Skip the water box if u arent on an appropriate tire. Tires that arent slicks or drag radials dont ever get hot enough to get sticky..They get slippery instead. The tire compound isnt soft enough.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:00 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
1800-2000 when i do 2200 no traction might be because of gears
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang