Project 3 Initiated... - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Project 3 Initiated...

Sadly I probably won't get to start this until spring arrives, but I went to the dealer today and ordered a GT500 hood heat extractor. Yep, I've going to be cutting the hood on my baby. It should be in tomorrow or Friday, then I'll take pics for you guys.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
the thought of cutting my hood is slightly terrifying but I know your a pretty crafty person... Looking forward to see parts and install pic's
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:01 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Plz do keep us posted step by step, i relly want to change the hood of my 13 to.
By the way how much was it?
FOX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2013, 07:15 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

They're asking $95 but I'm going to ask a guy I know that works in parts if he can help me out on it. He usually does.

Old 01-02-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Sadly I probably won't get to start this until spring arrives, but I went to the dealer today and ordered a GT500 hood heat extractor. Yep, I've going to be cutting the hood on my baby. It should be in tomorrow or Friday, then I'll take pics for you guys.
Omg, I'm scared 4 you! It will look great when its done though! How do you plan on cutting the slot? I have almost 20 years exp in sheet metal "welded/fabricater" so let me know if I can be of any help to you!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 08:04 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Dremel and a reinforced cutting disc I think. I wish I had an air compressor and a cutting wheel, but I don't. I may look into buying a electric one, if it's cheap.

Old 01-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Dremel and a reinforced cutting disc I think. I wish I had an air compressor and a cutting wheel, but I don't. I may look into buying a electric one, if it's cheap.
Make sure when your cutting to always keep it cold. Heat is your enemy! Go inch by inch using coolant every step of the way to prevent any kind of warping and it will look great. Still a little worried that you might get some deformation. Sheet metal can be very unforgiving if not done carefully, especially on a finished product. Remember pics, pics pics. : )
Old 01-02-2013, 08:14 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
They're asking $95 but I'm going to ask a guy I know that works in parts if he can help me out on it. He usually does.
$95 for the install or part?
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
piece of cake. i have done a few shaker installs before and these hoods cut really easy. Aluminum.

Remove heat blanket from under hood.

Place old sheet and then cardboard over engine so metal shavings do not get into engine / all over the place. Prop hood open slightly with wood blocks wrapped in bubble wrap so that they dont mar anything and stay secured. Propping hood up a few inches will ensure you dont cut any hoses or into the intake etc.

Cover the cutting area of the top of the hood and surrounding area with lots of painters tape. Get it where you want it and centered. Draw template on tape using a pencil to mark the lines. (no going back from here lol) Cut center of template out with exacto knife etching into the paint on the hood. Peel out the center tape. The inside edge left in the center will be your cut line for the jigsaw.

Next step.The cut will / should give you enough room to install the heat extractor insert with about an 1/8 of an inch on all sides to center it up so no worries on getting to tight. Drill a hole using a hole saw drill bit close to an inside edge of the template area (where paint is now exposed from you peeling out center tape).

Time to make the cut. Be sure to use / have sharp metal blades and change the blades out a few times so you stay sharp using a variable speed jig saw. apply firm pressure so the saw doesnt jump too. Everytime you get to a corner. Stop. Run some tape to keep the inside part you are cutting out from flapping up and down. It will stop the blade from seizing up and keep the cut sharp. The hood is easily dented as it is aluminum. Keep the saw flat on the hood and use pressure downward so the saw does not jump. Having someone blow air on it will also be helplul so you can see the cut line clear and will keep all the shavings away from you.

Now the center is out. Re-install the heat blanket with a clip or two to secure it so you can trace the opening for the heat extractor with a piece of chalk. Uninstall it and place it on a piece of cardboard on the ground and cut the center out with an exacto knife.

Reinstall the heat blanket completely. Clean the top side of the hood and cut edge with prep sol or rubbing alcohol. Use some self etching primer on the exposed inside edge to avoid paint peeling in the future. Touch up paint the edge. Use 3m Adhesion promoter sticks along edge. Use 3m tape along edge of heat extractor/ pull off tape strip protector. Center up and apply firm pressure. Take pictures of finished job and post them here. Crack open a beer for a job well done.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwrby4d View Post
piece of cake. i have done a few shaker installs before and these hoods cut really easy. Aluminum.

Remove heat blanket from under hood.

Place old sheet and then cardboard over engine so metal shavings do not get into engine / all over the place. Prop hood open slightly with wood blocks wrapped in bubble wrap so that they dont mar anything and stay secured. Propping hood up a few inches will ensure you dont cut any hoses or into the intake etc.

Cover the cutting area of the top of the hood and surrounding area with lots of painters tape. Get it where you want it and centered. Draw template on tape using a pencil to mark the lines. (no going back from here lol) Cut center of template out with exacto knife etching into the paint on the hood. Peel out the center tape. The cut will / should give you enough room to install the heat extractor insert with about an 1/8 of an inch on all sides to center it up. Clean with prep sol or rubbing alcohol. Use some self etching primer on the exposed inside edge to avoid paint peeling in the future. Touch up paint the edge. Use 3m Adhesion promoter sticks along edge. 3m tape along edge of heat extractor/ pull off tape strip protector. Center up and apply firm pressure.

Next step. Drill a hole using a hole saw drill bit close to an inside edge of the template area (where paint is now exposed from you peeling out center tape) and be sure to sharp metal blades and change the blades out a few times so you stay sharp using a variable speed jig saw. apply firm pressure so the saw doesnt jump too. The hood is easily dented as it is aluminum.
Nice! That should really help him out.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:51 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOX21 View Post
$95 for the install or part?
Part. I'll be installing it myself.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure if I want to play with a jigsaw. I have one and we don't communicate well. lol

Old 01-02-2013, 09:55 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

ah.. well then you are a smart smart man. Then just skip to the last step and post the pics and crack open a beer. The heat Extractor might even come with a template already. A few years ago a buddy of mine got one out of a wrecked GT500 and installed it on his 05-09 GT. Made the template out of cardboard and just measured it all out and took his time with it. It came out great. Lots of import guys buy these too and mod their hoods. Love that you are going the old school hot rod way about it instead of just buying a GT500 hood for 500 off of ebay. Good luck man. Looking forward to seeing it.
Old 01-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Part. I'll be installing it myself.

Thanks for the advice but I'm not sure if I want to play with a jigsaw. I have one and we don't communicate well. lol
Lol.
Old 01-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Lol.
You laugh, but it's like this:

Me: OK, lets cut this small radius.
Jigsaw: Sure thing! Omnomnom.
Me: Now, we've got to start turning a bit, bear with me.
Jigsaw: No problem boss, just tell me where to... oh look, precious material that looks like it doesn't want touched. I bet it tastes good! Omnonomnom.
Me: Why did you just jump out and put 5 dents in my project?
Jigsaw: Seemed like a good idea at the time.

Jigsaws... They just don't listen.

Old 01-02-2013, 10:23 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Jigsaw: No problem boss, just tell me where to... oh look, precious material that looks like it doesn't want touched. I bet it tastes good! Omnonomnom.

Lmao.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:01 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

+1000 lol
Old 01-04-2013, 03:33 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Got it, I'll post pics tonight.

Old 01-04-2013, 04:10 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

cool. i think i am as excited as you right now. lol.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:04 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Got it, I'll post pics tonight.
Cant wait to see the pics!!!
Old 01-04-2013, 09:28 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Without further adieu... I ended up getting it for $91 and change after taxes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-04_22-17-58_392 (2).jpg
Views:	115
Size:	502.7 KB
ID:	84170   Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-04_22-18-51_38 (2).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	260.7 KB
ID:	84171  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-01-04_22-18-29_653 (2).jpg
Views:	134
Size:	211.8 KB
ID:	84172  

Old 01-04-2013, 10:09 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Without further adieu... I ended up getting it for $91 and change after taxes.
Oh man cant wait to see how it will look!!! It looks sick already and is not even done.
When r u planing to have it done
Old 01-05-2013, 05:54 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

AWESOME!!! Can't wait to see this!

And this IS possible, Adam Carolla did it on his 99 Jag, his friends said he was nuts but he did it! eyeballed it and cut away!
the_stig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
This should be interesting.....
only you Sanguin!

I scraped and saved and got the Trufiber A53KR in route.....
I wanted both ram air and heat extraction...hee hee

---------- Post added at 12:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:05 PM ----------

BTW...everyone I show pics of your gas cap mod has them raving

I dont think Ill try the light idea...but am really gonna change some colors

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang