h.p gains with airaid cai? - Page 3 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #71
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

This guys system sounds loud as piss like this. I'm copying his setup and adding more. Even the mirrors.

---------- Post added at 09:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:21 PM ----------



How do you hear it? I hear the drone that's it.
Lol thanks about the system

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Really? Got me thinking. Maybe I should stay with the stock exhaust for now, I think they sound pretty good anyways. I'll have to think about it. Thx.
I was not trying to talk you out of it just saying .
I can hear if I'm shift kinda hard make a whistle sound
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #72
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post

Lol thanks about the system

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------



I was not trying to talk you out of it just saying .
I can hear if I'm shift kinda hard make a whistle sound
Np, you guys are really helping me out with all the info! My wife just told me to order it anyway!........o.k. lol.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 09:51 AM   #73
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Order the CAI or exhaust ?
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-06-2013, 10:02 AM   #74
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
Order the CAI or exhaust ?
Both! She's the best. I found an interesting YouTube vid on a Cai. YouTube " jlt's Cai test on 2011 mustang v6 manual " its the first vid.
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #75
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern
Region: California
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
You should note the dyno is based on a CAI and tune ...not a CAI alone. I noticed there was no dyno result with just the CAI...why? because they don't want you to know there's no significant gain with just a CAI install on a 3.7 V6; they won't sell many this way!
Impressive numbers for their tune though.
Not sure if you were replying to the AM video I posted for the OP. If so you might be confusing it with another video. When I was researching CAI +/-, I found the video to be one of the best comparisons of:

1) 87 octane stock
2) 93 octane stock
3) CAI + 93 octane stock
4) CAI + 93 octane street tune
5) Stock airbox +93 octane street tune

All 93 octane dyno comparisons were done same day. If you haven't seen it check it out. I thought AM did a great job and really appreciate them posting it even though CAI vs CAI/Tune showed little difference and might lead a buyer to purchase fewer upgrades based on the numbers alone (biggest gains appeared in the 3300 rpm range approx 11 hp and 15+ tq on both). I still have questions regarding hood up artificially increasing the CAI only results, especially since people state they don't feel the CAI difference, but the tune can be felt. Throttle response reprogram? Hood up? I don't know, but this is definitely the best CAI/tune comparison I've found and answers a lot of the questions V6 owners may have when looking at tunes and CAI.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:33 AM   #76
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Both! She's the best. I found an interesting YouTube vid on a Cai. YouTube " jlt's Cai test on 2011 mustang v6 manual " its the first vid.
That's great man if I was you do the CAI then test drive it a bit see what your thoughts are and then do exhaust . Just so you can see the differences from both . The exhaust will be your fav for sure though . And if you have a manual you are going to shift at higher RPMs just to hear the exhaust for the first few weeks lol. And after you you keep your foot out of it your mpg should go up from what you have now .
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 12:24 PM   #77
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post

Lol thanks about the system

---------- Post added at 09:30 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:27 AM ----------



I was not trying to talk you out of it just saying .
I can hear if I'm shift kinda hard make a whistle sound
I was talking about the roush axle backs, but that sub gave me hope too. It'll be the last thing I do though
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM   #78
Registered Member
Regular
 
curtin1991's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Region: Alabama
Posts: 964
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
Lol oh well thanks for that too
__________________
Corey
curtin1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:30 AM   #79
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Not sure if you were replying to the AM video I posted for the OP. If so you might be confusing it with another video. When I was researching CAI +/-, I found the video to be one of the best comparisons of:

1) 87 octane stock
2) 93 octane stock
3) CAI + 93 octane stock
4) CAI + 93 octane street tune
5) Stock airbox +93 octane street tune

All 93 octane dyno comparisons were done same day. If you haven't seen it check it out. I thought AM did a great job and really appreciate them posting it even though CAI vs CAI/Tune showed little difference and might lead a buyer to purchase fewer upgrades based on the numbers alone (biggest gains appeared in the 3300 rpm range approx 11 hp and 15+ tq on both). I still have questions regarding hood up artificially increasing the CAI only results, especially since people state they don't feel the CAI difference, but the tune can be felt. Throttle response reprogram? Hood up? I don't know, but this is definitely the best CAI/tune comparison I've found and answers a lot of the questions V6 owners may have when looking at tunes and CAI.
It's good stuff, and a good post. Now that my 36K warranty is up, I'll be heading the way of a tuner; one that provides lifetime free custom tunes. I'll start with a tune, then add a TB and larger CAI to handle the TB's larger air flow. I already have a cat back system with GT500 mufflers, so they flow plenty.

I'm also keeping my eye on that other thread where a couple of develepers are playing around with intakes. Cleaner than stock, and once they get the performance to match the larger TB, I'm in on one of those, if it happens before the 2015's come out of course...
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:13 PM   #80
Registered Member
Regular
 
rickyschulze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Region: Virginia
Posts: 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
Can some give me the h.p gains that a airaid Cai will give you, if any, without a tune? Or will it just look pretty?
I just installed that bout a month ago, definitely sounds better, and I do feel it.
rickyschulze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:35 PM   #81
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
CAI is a great modification but I feel in order to see the full potential of the cai one needs to install a pair of aftermarket headers and the off road x pipe or the catted x pipe. You can suck up all the cold air into the engine but with the stock manifolds and stock cats that cold air can't be pushed out that fast. That cold air is going to be highly restricted from the stock manifolds and cats. Put on a set of headers and you will notice a big difference in sound, HP and torque gains.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #82
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
CAI is a great modification but I feel in order to see the full potential of the cai one needs to install a pair of aftermarket headers and the off road x pipe or the catted x pipe. You can suck up all the cold air into the engine but with the stock manifolds and stock cats that cold air can't be pushed out that fast. That cold air is going to be highly restricted from the stock manifolds and cats. Put on a set of headers and you will notice a big difference in sound, HP and torque gains.
I agree with you. I installed the CAI and I had some better throttle response but when I paired it with my headers and xpipe, I felt my pony really come to life!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:46 PM   #83
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

I agree with you. I installed the CAI and I had some better throttle response but when I paired it with my headers and xpipe, I felt my pony really come to life!
Did you get the off road x pipe or the catted version x pipe?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:48 PM   #84
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Did you get the off road x pipe or the catted version x pipe?
High flow Catted so it's like a 2HP difference honestly. My friend has the off road version and I dyno'd my car twice one with my xpipe and one with his off road and we saw 2-4HP difference
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:57 PM   #85
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

High flow Catted so it's like a 2HP difference honestly. My friend has the off road version and I dyno'd my car twice one with my xpipe and one with his off road and we saw 2-4HP difference
My biggest issue with the high flow catted x pipe is there like 3 times the cost of the off road x pipe. Because of the darn platinum that's in them.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:02 PM   #86
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

My biggest issue with the high flow catted x pipe is there like 3 times the cost of the off road x pipe. Because of the darn platinum that's in them.
Got mine for dirt cheap
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #87
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Got mine for dirt cheap
Define dirt cheap. Lol
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #88
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Define dirt cheap. Lol
Both my BBK headers and Catted X-Pipe 400 flat
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:36 PM   #89
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Both my BBK headers and Catted X-Pipe 400 flat
Damn, now that is dirt cheap. I'm not against the high flow catted x pipe. I'm just not a fan of the price compared to the off road x pipe. Is there a sound difference from the engine compared to the your buddies off road x pipe and your high flow catted x pipe? Does your buddies stang sound more aggressive and louder with his off road x pipe compared to your high flow pipe.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:44 PM   #90
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Damn, now that is dirt cheap. I'm not against the high flow catted x pipe. I'm just not a fan of the price compared to the off road x pipe. Is there a sound difference from the engine compared to the your buddies off road x pipe and your high flow catted x pipe? Does your buddies stang sound more aggressive and louder with his off road x pipe compared to your high flow pipe.
Honestly no it flows almost identical. Now mine sounds much more deeper due to the fact I installed resonators to take off any high pitch rasp
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:48 PM   #91
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Honestly no it flows almost identical. Now mine sounds much more deeper due to the fact I installed resonators to take off any high pitch rasp
Good info. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get my headers and with the catted or off road x pipe. I guess for resale purposes the high flow catted x pipe would be a better option so the new buyer won't have issues with getting the car past emissions and the initial inspection of the vehicle when he or she goes to register the vehicle.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 08:52 PM   #92
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Didn't read the whole thread but just thought it was interesting that a cai hp thread got 7 pages lol
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #93
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Good info. Thanks for the info. I can't wait to get my headers and with the catted or off road x pipe. I guess for resale purposes the high flow catted x pipe would be a better option so the new buyer won't have issues with getting the car past emissions and the initial inspection of the vehicle when he or she goes to register the vehicle.
Yea I love it cuz I don't have to worry about emissions and my car passes everytime
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:04 PM   #94
Registered Member
Regular
 
MrMike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Region: Canada
Posts: 730
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Yea I love it cuz I don't have to worry about emissions and my car passes everytime
And sounds great!
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:05 PM   #95
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

And sounds great!
Yup!!!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:56 AM   #96
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venomouz831 View Post
Didn't read the whole thread but just thought it was interesting that a cai hp thread got 7 pages lol
Due in part to the mis-understanding of CAI's on a stock 3.7 V6 Mustang. Without a tuner (and other mods), there is no significant increase over the stock air box.
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:05 AM   #97
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Due in part to the mis-understanding of CAI's on a stock 3.7 V6 Mustang. Without a tuner (and other mods), there is no significant increase over the stock air box.
+1. You should definitely have a tune when using the cai
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:01 AM   #98
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Northern
Region: California
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It's good stuff, and a good post. Now that my 36K warranty is up, I'll be heading the way of a tuner; one that provides lifetime free custom tunes. I'll start with a tune, then add a TB and larger CAI to handle the TB's larger air flow. I already have a cat back system with GT500 mufflers, so they flow plenty.

I'm also keeping my eye on that other thread where a couple of develepers are playing around with intakes. Cleaner than stock, and once they get the performance to match the larger TB, I'm in on one of those, if it happens before the 2015's come out of course...
Bucko, do you have a link to the intake developers post? Sounds interesting. Thanks
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:16 AM   #99
Admin

Supporter
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Lake Mary
Region: Florida
Posts: 5,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post
Bucko, do you have a link to the intake developers post? Sounds interesting. Thanks
Yep. It was posted on a thread here from someone asking about a polished intake:

And so it begins... - The Mustang Collective Forums
__________________
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #100
Registered Member
Regular
 
Venomouz831's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Seaside
Region: California
Posts: 8,133
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post

Due in part to the mis-understanding of CAI's on a stock 3.7 V6 Mustang. Without a tuner (and other mods), there is no significant increase over the stock air box.
Oh gotcha.
__________________
)02 Gt, Founder of WE2G
Venomouz831 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



12:47 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.