h.p gains with airaid cai? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-03-2013, 07:23 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Can some give me the h.p gains that a airaid Cai will give you, if any, without a tune? Or will it just look pretty?
MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:27 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
It will not run properly without a tune look for 15 to 20 hp gain with a tune
garbill2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:30 PM   #3
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
All the real gains would be from the tune. It isn't worth it without.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2013, 07:33 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer2tone View Post
All the real gains would be from the tune. It isn't worth it without.
X2
Old 01-03-2013, 07:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by garbill2003 View Post

X2
Thx for the input, I heard you get a nicer sound though. So no gains. : (
Old 01-03-2013, 07:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Not without a tune but a tuner is a must have for any mods for theses cars
Old 01-03-2013, 08:02 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
Nah dude. The tuneless CAI from Airaid will give you a gain. Not steep, but the bottom line is your stock exhaust breathes way better than your stock air box. You will feel a gain. Plus, the cockpit sound is worth it alone. But yes, you'll see maybe 5-7 WHP with a CAI. Will it be huge, no. Will you feel it, yes.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

Quote:
Not without a tune but a tuner is a must have for any mods for theses cars
+1. I agree from experience, but disagree because you'll feel it. But he's right. I've heard nothing but that, the 2011+ wakes up from a tune. And as for mine, I had a CAI and full exhaust when I got my Bama... Difference was night and day. Get a tune bro.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:04 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Nah dude. The tuneless CAI from Airaid will give you a gain. Not steep, but the bottom line is your stock exhaust breathes way better than your stock air box. You will feel a gain. Plus, the cockpit sound is worth it alone. But yes, you'll see maybe 5-7 WHP with a CAI. Will it be huge, no. Will you feel it, yes.

---------- Post added at 03:02 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:59 AM ----------

+1. I agree from experience, but disagree because you'll feel it. But he's right. I've heard nothing but that, the 2011+ wakes up from a tune. And as for mine, I had a CAI and full exhaust when I got my Bama... Difference was night and day. Get a tune bro.
I only thought bbk made a tuneless cai
Old 01-03-2013, 08:06 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
I think Im going to order one and enjoy the little gain ill receive and really enjoy the sound from what people say about it. Then further down the line when I'm ready to tune ill already have it. Thx.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Send a message via ICQ to curtin1991
The only gain I had was better mpg. But that's enough for me . Oh and it looks good
Old 01-03-2013, 08:12 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Garbill, no buddy. Airaid is the best company right now for the sixxer. They make a tuneless CAI. I love mine.

As for gain dude, you'll feel it on the peddle. And love it in the ear. I highly suggest first tune is CAI, and second is tune. You'll smoke a stock with that five bills spent. Easy. Lest he/she has a tricky foot on the clutch and your running auto...

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtin1991 View Post
The only gain I had was better mpg. But that's enough for me . Oh and it looks good
+1. It'll pay for itself in a year or two.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Garbill, no buddy. Airaid is the best company right now for the sixxer. They make a tuneless CAI. I love mine.

As for gain dude, you'll feel it on the peddle. And love it in the ear. I highly suggest first tune is CAI, and second is tune. You'll smoke a stock with that five bills spent. Easy. Lest he/she has a tricky foot on the clutch and your running auto...

---------- Post added at 03:12 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:11 AM ----------

+1. It'll pay for itself in a year or two.
Sold! Thx. Better throttle response? That's the one I'm looking at on A.M along with roush axelbacks, new wheel/tire combo, GT 500 spoiler, painted mirror covers. I'm counting down the days to order time! Got an extra 300$ and gonna add the airaid Cai.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Yup. Throttle body is the best to go for that though
Old 01-03-2013, 08:35 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

In 5.0 mag they added a airaid CAI on a 5.0 stang tune and no tune. No tune 7-11 hp gain, tuned 22-27hp.
Baldeagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baldeagle View Post
In 5.0 mag they added a airaid CAI on a 5.0 stang tune and no tune. No tune 7-11 hp gain, tuned 22-27hp.
I'll take 5 HP.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post
I'll take 5 HP.
Is yours a 6 ?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:43 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Is yours a 6 ?
Yep.
Old 01-03-2013, 08:44 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Ok cool ive never drove a 6 but would like to
Old 01-03-2013, 08:45 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ok cool ive never drove a 6 but would like to
5.0?
Old 01-03-2013, 08:46 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

No mines the 4.6 it runs extremely well
Old 01-03-2013, 08:53 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
No mines the 4.6 it runs extremely well
Nothing wrong with that. To be honest I was blown away when I first drove these new 6ers.
Old 01-03-2013, 09:13 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMike View Post

Nothing wrong with that. To be honest I was blown away when I first drove these new 6ers.
2010 was the first year of the 3.7 ?
Old 01-03-2013, 09:20 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

2010 was the first year of the 3.7 ?
Nope the 2010 had the old motor new design. The 2011+ has the 3.7L
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Nope the 2010 had the old motor new design. The 2011+ has the 3.7L
So it was still the 4.0
Old 01-03-2013, 09:30 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

So it was still the 4.0
Yup! Same as the 2010 GT it's a 4.6L
Old 01-04-2013, 07:33 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Here's the V6 dyno sheet from airaids site. No tune. Dyno results are questionable though. There's been debate on whether running the dyno with hood up is artificially raising the gains vs the sealed stock airbox. I saw a thread where when challenged a cai mfg agreed to do a hood down dyno run with just the fans but they never posted their results for some reason...
http://www.airaid.com/Documents/Dyno...265%20dyno.jpg
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:52 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis
Here's the V6 dyno sheet from airaids site. No tune. Dyno results are questionable though. There's been debate on whether running the dyno with hood up is artificially raising the gains vs the sealed stock airbox. I saw a thread where when challenged a cai mfg agreed to do a hood down dyno run with just the fans but they never posted their results for some reason...
http://www.airaid.com/Documents/Dyno...265%20dyno.jpg
To their defense, being on a dyno does NOT accurately show the air being pushed in compared to regularly driving. As we drive, so much air is forced into the grilles and actually being forced in. So a 3rd gear pull will not have the same air force being pushed in. I am sure the fan helps, but I expect it more for emissions.

I am not saying that is it, end all be all, but I think that is a considerable factor to acknowledge.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:42 PM   #28
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:

Where did you come up with these figures? Even if correct, how would you "feel" a 5 HP gain? Sensitive butt perhaps?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:46 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Where did you come up with these figures? Even if correct, how would you "feel" a 5 HP gain? Sensitive butt perhaps?
Yea u wouldn't feel any HP gain less then about 30-40
Old 01-04-2013, 12:53 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. Way to be a jerk, Bucko... You can feel a slight difference if you're in tune with vehicles. Nice that you're thinking about my butt though. Thanks for being so worried about another guys butt, though...

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

30-40 Charlie!? Your ridiculous. That steep it more than a feeling... That's a massive gain. If you can't feel ten, you need to drive more.

Any adults been driving awhile with me!?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:58 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Haha. Way to be a jerk, Bucko... You can feel a slight difference if you're in tune with vehicles. Nice that you're thinking about my butt though. Thanks for being so worried about another guys butt, though...

---------- Post added at 07:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:51 PM ----------

30-40 Charlie!? Your ridiculous. That steep it more than a feeling... That's a massive gain. If you can't feel ten, you need to drive more.

Any adults been driving awhile with me!?
Im 28 sir this is my 7th mustang so relax. You don't feel little baby 5HP man you will feel the better throttle response but u gain just 5hp with no tune and max 15 with tune. You won't really feel a difference till you get to 30+ if you don't believe me start a new thread and ask the "adults" around here man.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
My butt remark was refering to what folks call "seat of the pants" type feel. Did not mean to offend you.

You cannot "detect" a 5 HP increase. You may think you've added power because of the "sound" you hear with a CAI install, but I explained that in the other post; A CAi does not have the "sound muffler" (square box on the side of the stock tube that runs from the throttle body to the air filter box). As I stated in another thread, when I removed this box using a dremmel tool and fiberglassing the hole, I had the same effect as a CAI without this sound muffler; I could hear the "roar" of the engine as I stomped the right pedal. You can save plenty of coin in your pocket, as 99% of the CAI's sold for the 3.7 V6 do not add significant HP, nor do they provide any significant air flow to the stock throttle body for the 3.7 V6.

A tuner is a much better bet for HP gains.

Now on other vehicles, a CAI may help. But on our 3.7's, they do not add significant increases. Keep the stock setup, spend money on other go fast goodies.
Old 01-04-2013, 01:17 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Again, way too long... Bucko. Sorry. I try not to be so long winded on this stuff. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree... Or what ever point you were making. Sorry about being a dick. I know I'm really coming off as one, but out difference of opinion couldn't be more violently disagreed upon.

And Charlie, sorry to offend. Didn't think you cared that I'd not give a **** about how many mustangs you have owned. There are plenty of cars out there to make performance vehicles. I could own ten Lamborghini's and that don't mean I could drive it, my brother. But saying only a 30 RWHP gain is able to be felt is super-tarded man...
Old 01-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Again, way too long... Bucko. Sorry. I try not to be so long winded on this stuff. I suppose we will have to agree to disagree... Or what ever point you were making. Sorry about being a dick. I know I'm really coming off as one, but out difference of opinion couldn't be more violently disagreed upon.

And Charlie, sorry to offend. Didn't think you cared that I'd not give a **** about how many mustangs you have owned. There are plenty of cars out there to make performance vehicles. I could own ten Lamborghini's and that don't mean I could drive it, my brother. But saying only a 30 RWHP gain is able to be felt is super-tarded man...
Whatever floats ur boat man but any real driver can tell you 5HP is nothing and you won't feel shi1 with that kind of gain. But hey your obviously right since you owned ten lambo's
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

Haha. Nice one dude. I'm just razzin' bro. Maybe it's a mental gain or you've convinced yourself it can't be felt. No need to hurt my feelings.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
cai