Super Noob CAI Question - Page 2 - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:05 PM   #36
Registered Member
Region: Canada
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Just business from me from now on. I appreciate the candid feedback but it missed the point. That's what I get for trying to be amusing when it's just not my style.

I also appreciate the experience and knowledge on this forum so I'll try my question again without all the BS.

Since I added the CAI, my engine sounds rough when cruising around 80mph. I also feel a vibration in the pedal that wasn't there before. Is this normal with the CAI or should I be concerned?

Again thanks for the tough love and knowledge sharing.
You got to expect it. It's an open forum and their are a lot of people who will try to help, but all it takes is one post that someone doesn't agree with and the wheels begin to fall off! Interesting question and I too would like to know if it is normal as I will be ordering one shortly.

MrMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:31 PM   #37
Evolution's Finest
Region: Florida
It is not normal

Did you change mufflers at around the same time? The CAI would in no way cause a vibration that I can think of. Some Mufflers can cause a drone that will come across as a vibration.

2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,Aluminum driveshafft and Swarr Bar.
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:25 AM   #38
Registered Member
Region: California
Originally Posted by WarMachine View Post
Ok, so there was bombing down the highway tonight totally enjoying the new sound of the engine due to my newly installed CAI. I was quite obnoxious cruising up to other cars and then HAMMER DOWN! Whomp Whomp Whomp Whomp as I sped by. Phil Collins, "In the air tonight" was on the radio and I found myself doing it over and over just to hear the engine growl. (Imagine American psycho in a mustang!) And you know my poor victims were thinking either one of two things (1) what a donkey! Or (2) omg that's awesome. Right?

Anyway, on to my question/concern. If any of my other cars (past or present) sounded like that at 80mph I would take it in to the shop thinking something's wrong with the engine. The thought crept in that my idea of having fun could be damaging the engine longterm somehow given the deep (rough) sound and slight vibration in the pedals(?).

Can someone put my mind at ease, tell me that its normal and my engine will be fine so I can get back to enjoying my rides home from work?
I've got the Airaid CAI and haven't noticed any pedal vibration. Have you installed a tune that took off your speed limiter? The guy who broke his driveshaft hitting 135 mph mentioned prior to the failure he took his mustang up to 135 without a failure, but the drive shaft afterwards caused the car to vibrate when cruising at 80 mph. If you still have the stock speed limiter then I'd guess this isn't an issue. Either way I'd get it checked out if its still going on. Your car is trying to tell you something.
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 AM   #39
Registered Member
Region: California
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
It's obvious you have not looked at a stock 3.7 V6 setup I'll guess.

Take a look at the square box on the bottom part of this picture (stock 3.7 V6 tube off of a 2011 below). You'll see the "box/"J" tube I'm refering to. This is a "sound deadner" or sound muffler. It's on the 2011 V6's for sure.

Notice that I referenced the 3.7 V6, and not ALL Elvis driving fans. As I stated, THE 3.7 V6 stock intake flows great; does not require a CAI to grab any additional HP gains by itself. If you buy one for this engine, it will be for looks, perhaps the sound, or because you have lots of money to spend on something that in this case, gains you nothing.

Have a quality day!
I'm an Elvis driving fan and I agree with you.
Seems War Machine is too since his CAI has left him All Shook Up!
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 06:49 AM   #40

Region: Florida
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
Did you change mufflers at around the same time? The CAI would in no way cause a vibration that I can think of. Some Mufflers can cause a drone that will come across as a vibration.
X2. A drone (via cat back or other muffler/exhaust work) can cause a vibration feel, but not a CAI install by itself.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang