Stripes upkeep? - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Stripes upkeep?

Has anyone had any trouble with peeling stripes or fading cause of the weather? Does matte black fade with wax on it?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
I was told not to wax them. The body shop that installed my hood stripe said to refrain from waxing them (especially black), as it can cause them to get a "chauky" or faided look. He mentioned long ago, it was acceptable to wax them, but that todays vinyls that are used do not hold up well to waxing. He also mentioned most stripe and decal kits have a life span of about 5 to 7 years

Doing the "Boss 302" type side decals was easy for me, but the hood gave me grief. The slooping curve of the center hood caused it to wrinkle on me; I sprayed a soapy water solution on the hood and vinyl, but I could not get it to strech out the wrinkles as I tried to squegy (spelling?) the watter out. I ended up removing it and had a professional do that one.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:59 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
What kind of stripe. My boss stripes are peeling after less than 6 months.
Advertisement

Old 01-04-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
My stripes were put on at the dealer by the local best pro. After about 5 weeks the tips of all sharp ends were pulling up. The guy who I knew in town that did it for decades, who did the job, told me in the past year the vinyl got different as you know where it gets made at.

Anyway he spent about 2 hours in my driveway with the super tiny knife, much smaller than my Xacto, taking off all sharp edges and cutting it back behind where it was pulling up at the edge. (about 1/8").

Since then I haven't noticed any more issues, but we will see in the spring after I pull the car out of cold storage in the ice planet weather we have had if it has done anything. I do run my car each week even in storage.

Note that I never put a car with vinyl stripes in a automatic car wash. hand wash only. No need for wax as using the TST treatment I have done for about 15 years now, like permanent wax; PTFE type coating. Touch up with quick detail cleaner all you need between washes.

What ever you do, don't get any knock offs that sound like 'EnviroSeal"

Worthless
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Sounds like you're on the right track. No matter what you do don't wax over them. You'll have the white wax outline. I have gloss painted and vinyl stripes and I can use a detailer on all of it. But I don't wax the vinyl. For upkeep as far as appearance, use a detailer. Looks good on my moms red camaro with matte black stripes.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:37 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning
I thought yours were painted?
NicholasP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP View Post

I thought yours were painted?
The hood, roof, trunk, spoiler, and decklid are painted. My boss side striping is vinyl thanks to AM. No offense to them, but its either my driving or they are just bad quality. They are stating to come up and have rock nicks in them so that appears as white marks up really close.
Old 01-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: South Carolina
redo in plasti dip....then when they wear out, just peel and re-do. got a friend making me a block of the slimer name so I can re spray the stripes and leave slimer in body color. the little cartoon representation will have to go on the windows, rear deck lid or something...
glad I got a deal on my stripes...but they too are wearing out fast and I only use quik detail on them...sigh

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Hey White....thought about getting the Boss 302S spoiler for yours...might make it look really mean....JS

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtzzoom View Post
redo in plasti dip....then when they wear out, just peel and re-do. got a friend making me a block of the slimer name so I can re spray the stripes and leave slimer in body color. the little cartoon representation will have to go on the windows, rear deck lid or something...
glad I got a deal on my stripes...but they too are wearing out fast and I only use quik detail on them...sigh

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:33 AM ----------

Hey White....thought about getting the Boss 302S spoiler for yours...might make it look really mean....JS
Not with these v6 rims lol

I dipped my grilles and paneling. Still looks brand new. So I'm guessing that could work. Or buy vinyl and just overlay them. Carbon fiber maybe?
Old 01-05-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
On the ones that are peeling, who made them, and/or where did you buy them? I bought by Boss "hocky stick" stripes off of a guy on Ebay that uses 3M type vinyl. After almost one year in the Florida heat and humid climate, I have no issues with them.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicholasP
Has anyone had any trouble with peeling stripes or fading cause of the weather? Does matte black fade with wax on it?
I don't know the name but, there is a special wax for matt black stripes. The dodge dealer gave my brother some when he bought his challenger. It may be a mopar product. I'll see if I can find out for ya.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang