Tune vs throttle body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
Tune vs throttle body

Opinions or thoughts on either one. Most in here from using search give thumbs down to the tb and thumbs up on the tune.

I was planning on waiting another year or so to get the tune just in case something happens as my dealer gave me a look just from having a cai installed. So you can assume they aren't mod friendly. But after talking with a few buddies they said to just get the tuner in their opinion. Said I can do more with it in the long run.

The bbk throttle body seems to be a hot item lately and once again doesn't require a tune. 5hp 8tq between 2-4krpm is where it would be noticed I suppose but it seems expensive. And there isn't a whole lot of data in it other than conflicting opinions. Those that have them seem to like them but those that don't feel like you should use the money elsewhere.

Outside if a tune and some new wheels I don't know if I'll do a whole lot more until I pay it off. Then I may play with suspension and some other things.

That was long winded.
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 09:17 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Your in a common pinch my friend. Tune VS no tune to save your warranty... everything I have herd about the TB is, well, not so great. Things like little or no improvement is not an uncommon statement post install sadly. I think of the TB as one of those final bolt on parts that you do after everything else and are searching for tiny things before you break down and get a turbo/supercharger or internals.... If you want my opinion, I say no to the TB.

As for the tune, I am in the same boat. I have the $ and want to do it but it kills me that I payed for a warranty and will ruin it with a tune. Have you thought about exhaust? there are some decent gains that can be had from just axle backs. I have been playing with the idea of lowering springs but I have speed bumps around here that scare me. Maybe black out your lights (i recommend caps on headlights so they can be removed at night) and get some tint. if you dont want to drop a ton on wheels you could powder coat your stockies for around $400. If your manual then maybe a short throw?... just ideas, hope this helps
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
I would suggest getting the tune, like you I was also worried about my warranty so I did end up buying the 73mm tb and the HP gain FELT like nothing through I'm sure there was some. A month later when I realize that my dealer would void my warranty for also every ridiculous upgrade I just got the tune and said to hell with the warranty. The tune gives your car a very noticeable HP increase. I was able to smoke a g37 so think about it

---------- Post added at 11:29 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:27 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx
Your in a common pinch my friend. Tune VS no tune to save your warranty... everything I have herd about the TB is, well, not so great. Things like little or no improvement is not an uncommon statement post install sadly. I think of the TB as one of those final bolt on parts that you do after everything else and are searching for tiny things before you break down and get a turbo/supercharger or internals.... If you want my opinion, I say no to the TB.

As for the tune, I am in the same boat. I have the $ and want to do it but it kills me that I payed for a warranty and will ruin it with a tune. Have you thought about exhaust? there are some decent gains that can be had from just axle backs. I have been playing with the idea of lowering springs but I have speed bumps around here that scare me. Maybe black out your lights (i recommend caps on headlights so they can be removed at night) and get some tint. if you dont want to drop a ton on wheels you could powder coat your stockies for around $400. If your manual then maybe a short throw?... just ideas, hope this helps
Great idea, but the dealer ship will void your suspension warranty just for lowering and exhaust and all that crap. Sorry to ruin hopes?
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

I have axel backs and the raxioms and I plastidipped my wheels for the time being. That with the tint and I have my blacked out look. I also dropped with the ultralites from steeda.

Not sure if I will do a whole lot more besides the tune and wheels. I know I like the black out look so I will probably get the rtr set. I'm itching for a little performance gain and there seems to be slim to none problems with a tune. So I'm like you it's tempting but then there is the what if something goes wrong.

Thanks for the input.

I did get the wife's blessing to do either one. I may spring for the livewire ts
Old 01-05-2013, 11:21 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Im with ya on the live wire TS. Being able to store more than 3 tunes is nice plus the display capability will save you from buying additional gauges for now. Not to mention the resale will be much higher if you ever decide to get rid of it.
Old 01-05-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20
Opinions or thoughts on either one. Most in here from using search give thumbs down to the tb and thumbs up on the tune.

I was planning on waiting another year or so to get the tune just in case something happens as my dealer gave me a look just from having a cai installed. So you can assume they aren't mod friendly. But after talking with a few buddies they said to just get the tuner in their opinion. Said I can do more with it in the long run.

The bbk throttle body seems to be a hot item lately and once again doesn't require a tune. 5hp 8tq between 2-4krpm is where it would be noticed I suppose but it seems expensive. And there isn't a whole lot of data in it other than conflicting opinions. Those that have them seem to like them but those that don't feel like you should use the money elsewhere.

Outside if a tune and some new wheels I don't know if I'll do a whole lot more until I pay it off. Then I may play with suspension and some other things.

That was long winded.
Hey I will have a throttle body for you with just about 500 miles on it.
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:22 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by ViperTran

Hey I will have a throttle body for you with just about 500 miles on it.
I am interested in the throttle body, if he passes.

My sponsor, Tokkyo Nutrition, offers 50% off your entire order with the code "PowerHouse"
UltArc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltArc View Post

I am interested in the throttle body, if he passes.
Have at it.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:13 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAC20 View Post

That was long winded.
Tune bro! I say a TB if you already have a full exhaust with CAI
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Check the flow rating of the CAI you have (or are planning to buy) before swapping out the Throttle Body (TB) with a larger flow one. Most CAI's that are sold for the 3.7 V6 flow the same amount of air as the stock air system. This prevented having to install a tune to change the MAF sensor calculations.

Simply put: if you bought a CAI that did not require a tune (example: C&L), then it most likely will not work well with a larger TB install; it will restrict the amount of air the larger TB is capable of using.

Do some homework before plunk down the cash for a TB.
Old 01-06-2013, 08:55 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Pretty sure your dealer will try to void your warranty for a TB. You could always take it off before you go in but assuming you didn't then you could have issues.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Throttle body you wont feel any gains. Tune you will feel the power gain.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Georgia
I say tuner 1000%. Let me tell you bro, out of all my mods the tuner is what brings the power out. And I can guarantee that you will not get those gains out of a throttle body without supporting mods. And the main supporting mod being a tuner. I have the SCT iTSX on my '11 3.7 and I couldn't be happier and you get free tunes for life with Bama and the life of your car. Imo tuner should always be the first mod. And as the other guy said you can get reasonable gains out of exhaust too, especially if you go O/R midpipe. Just my .02
Black on Boss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:04 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Check the flow rating of the CAI you have (or are planning to buy) before swapping out the Throttle Body (TB) with a larger flow one. Most CAI's that are sold for the 3.7 V6 flow the same amount of air as the stock air system. This prevented having to install a tune to change the MAF sensor calculations.

Simply put: if you bought a CAI that did not require a tune (example: C&L), then it most likely will not work well with a larger TB install; it will restrict the amount of air the larger TB is capable of using.

Do some homework before plunk down the cash for a TB.
That's for the heads up. I have the bbk because of the no tune. The whole warranty thing. Lesson learned on that one but I had the cash and I like the look and sound and that was my main reason for that mod. If I could go back I would have probably gotten the steeda and a tune.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black on Black View Post
I say tuner 1000%. Let me tell you bro, out of all my mods the tuner is what brings the power out. And I can guarantee that you will not get those gains out of a throttle body without supporting mods. And the main supporting mod being a tuner. I have the SCT iTSX on my '11 3.7 and I couldn't be happier and you get free tunes for life with Bama and the life of your car. Imo tuner should always be the first mod. And as the other guy said you can get reasonable gains out of exhaust too, especially if you go O/R midpipe. Just my .02
How do you like the itsx?

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to do the tune. Problems is I don't have a pc that runs windows so ill have to borrow one to load new tunes and update IfI ever need to. Unless I get the wireless one.

I'm going to wait to order until the next fill up that way I can start cycling 93 through it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

That's for the heads up. I have the bbk because of the no tune. The whole warranty thing. Lesson learned on that one but I had the cash and I like the look and sound and that was my main reason for that mod. If I could go back I would have probably gotten the steeda and a tune.

Thanks for all the info. I'm going to do the tune. Problems is I don't have a pc that runs windows so ill have to borrow one to load new tunes and update IfI ever need to. Unless I get the wireless one.

I'm going to wait to order until the next fill up that way I can start cycling 93 through it.
I have the steeda Cai also and I love it. As for the iTSX I thought I would use the app more but I don't . That being said it works flawlessly. I can add the email tunes right from my Droid. You can do the same with a iPhone iPad etc. Just make sure your battery is at a decent % before you install. I almost f'ed up but luckily I wasn't tuning my car at the time only transferring a tune to the tuner. I'm not sure how long it takes a normal handheld tuner to tune but it take the iTSX about 10-15 min to copy your stock tune and transfer the custom tune over. I'm about to change tunes here in a few min and ill let you know how long it takes to go from custom to custom.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Tune you will notice most change shift points optimize your other mods. I have TB it is noticeable
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

I have the steeda Cai also and I love it. As for the iTSX I thought I would use the app more but I don't . That being said it works flawlessly. I can add the email tunes right from my Droid. You can do the same with a iPhone iPad etc. Just make sure your battery is at a decent % before you install. I almost f'ed up but luckily I wasn't tuning my car at the time only transferring a tune to the tuner. I'm not sure how long it takes a normal handheld tuner to tune but it take the iTSX about 10-15 min to copy your stock tune and transfer the custom tune over. I'm about to change tunes here in a few min and ill let you know how long it takes to go from custom to custom.
Cool. I'm thinking about the livewire Ts and then I can have the custom gauges up etc. don't care too much about that though but im curious about the istx.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

And btw 95 percent of cold air intakes for the 11 v6 don't need a tune and there are gains only one that you need a tube is steeda one I believe
Old 01-06-2013, 04:32 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schram1 View Post
And btw 95 percent of cold air intakes for the 11 v6 don't need a tune and there are gains only one that you need a tube is steeda one I believe
The steeda Cai has a much larger intake tube. That is why it requires a tune. I started up my car with the Cai before the tune and it almost wouldn't idle. It wanted to stale.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:24 AM   #20
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
The steeda Cai has a much larger intake tube. That is why it requires a tune. I started up my car with the Cai before the tune and it almost wouldn't idle. It wanted to stale.
Yep. The MAF could not handle the larger air flow with its stock mappings. A tune compensates for this. Once the TB is changed out, another custom tune will be required, and then you start to see the gains with a larger TB and CAI to support it.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:35 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Assuming your on a Mac, you can run boot camp to allow windows to run. Or spend the extra cash on parallels. I run parallels for some of the programs I need for work and know you can update the older tuners with it but I can't guarantee anything with the new ones since I have not tried myself. Yet
Old 01-07-2013, 02:16 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Assuming your on a Mac, you can run boot camp to allow windows to run. Or spend the extra cash on parallels. I run parallels for some of the programs I need for work and know you can update the older tuners with it but I can't guarantee anything with the new ones since I have not tried myself. Yet
Yeah. Don't have a copy if windows. Not sure if the "freemium" version would work or not or if you can even get those to try.

I pulled the trigger and order the istx about an hour ago. Waiting on the web form email I guess to tell them what I want.

Only problem I won't be out if gas to put 93 in till next week. So I'll get a 87 so I can feel the difference.

Should I run a tank of 93 before loading the tune?
Old 01-07-2013, 02:19 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Yeah. Don't have a copy if windows. Not sure if the "freemium" version would work or not or if you can even get those to try.

I pulled the trigger and order the istx about an hour ago. Waiting on the web form email I guess to tell them what I want.

Only problem I won't be out if gas to put 93 in till next week. So I'll get a 87 so I can feel the difference.

Should I run a tank of 93 before loading the tune?
As long as you basically ran out of the 87 in the tank and do at least half a tank of 93 u can load up the tune when u put the gas man
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:44 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
1000 percent tune. Huge difference. I have a 2011 V6 and purchased a bama sct tuner from American Muscle within the first year of owning my vehicle. No regrets and the best mod. You can instantly feel the difference from the stock tied down 305 HP to the tuned version.

American Muscle stands behind there tunes 100 percent. I would only buy from them personally. American Muscle backs there tune up and will pay to fix the issue if the dealer won't honor the warranty because they claim the issue was caused by the tuner. Stop thinking about it and get that tuner.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
1000 percent tune. Huge difference. I have a 2011 V6 and purchased a bama sct tuner from American Muscle within the first year of owning my vehicle. No regrets and the best mod. You can instantly feel the difference from the stock tied down 305 HP to the tuned version.

American Muscle stands behind there tunes 100 percent. I would only buy from them personally. American Muscle backs there tune up and will pay to fix the issue if the dealer won't honor the warranty because they claim the issue was caused by the tuner. Stop thinking about it and get that tuner.
Shipped today.
Old 01-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Shipped today.
Great choice. You will not regret it.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:52 AM   #27
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Those of you that have bought tuners and have installed a tune, have you had to take your Mustang in for any warranty issues? The service folks can read the ECM and detect a tune was installed on these newer setups, so even if you flash the stock tune back into the ECU, they can still tell. It used to be you could flash the stock tune in, drive for a certain number of miles, and all was cleared. No longer the case.

Now if you never require any engine warranty repairs, this is all a moog point.

My 36K warranty is up now, so I plan to go the way of a tuner.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Those of you that have bought tuners and have installed a tune, have you had to take your Mustang in for any warranty issues? The service folks can read the ECM and detect a tune was installed on these newer setups, so even if you flash the stock tune back into the ECU, they can still tell. It used to be you could flash the stock tune in, drive for a certain number of miles, and all was cleared. No longer the case.

You are correct. When I purchased my tuner from American Muscle they told me they stand by there tunes. They told me to not change it back. Leave the car on the tune if you take it too the dealership should you have warranty work. If the dealer claims the problem was caused by the tune and your warranty is voided, then call American Muscle. AM will take care of the problem. AM is awesome that stands by there products.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
You are correct. When I purchased my tuner from American Muscle they told me they stand by there tunes. They told me to not change it back. Leave the car on the tune if you take it too the dealership should you have warranty work. If the dealer claims the problem was caused by the tune and your warranty is voided, then call American Muscle. AM will take care of the problem. AM is awesome that stands by there products.
As awesome as AM is,I don't see them replacing an engine if something go's horribly wrong. Honestly, your probably going to end up in the middle of a loosing battle. You cant prove to the dealer that the tune was not the cause of your issue and on the other hand you cant prove to AM that there tune was the root of the problem. Therefore, both AM and the dealer have everything they need to deny you. Im not trying to dog AM here, there a great company that stands by there product and supports mustang enthusiasts everywhere, but you have to be realistic.

Now if there is some smaller problem or your car starts running like dirt then yes, AM is going to do everything they can for you.
Old 01-09-2013, 06:57 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

As awesome as AM is,I don't see them replacing an engine if something go's horribly wrong. Honestly, your probably going to end up in the middle of a loosing battle. You cant prove to the dealer that the tune was not the cause of your issue and on the other hand you cant prove to AM that there tune was the root of the problem. Therefore, both AM and the dealer have everything they need to deny you. Im not trying to dog AM here, there a great company that stands by there product and supports mustang enthusiasts everywhere, but you have to be realistic.

Now if there is some smaller problem or your car starts running like dirt then yes, AM is going to do everything they can for you.
I don't know this but what engines are blowing up from bama performance tuners? What engine issues or other issues are dealers denying claims because they claim its the fault of the tune? Besides the #8 issue which is a thing of the past what other issues are the engines having because of the tune?

I believe AM would stand by there word and fix a engine issue or another issue that the dealership has denied warranty work if they claim it was the cause of the tuner. I think AM is a stand up company who provides a great product and awesome customer service.

Also, the dealers can claim a tune is the cause of the problem but they better have proof to back it up, should someone file suit. Ford can deny the warranty work all they want but they better have proof the issue was caused by the tuner.

The real issue is people don't have the money or time to hire a lawyer and wait to have there vehicle fixed by ford while they file a law suit. I wonder if there are any known cases out there where a customer was denied warranty work and that customer filed a law suit. I wonder what case law is about this issue.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:59 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They can tell that something was done not what. If you go out and leave your lights on and drain your battery it shows the same thing. And I have a habit of partying too hard so those type of things do happen once every few months. Peeing on the neighbors bush? Yeah. Totally jk

I have the 5yr 100k btb warranty. You only live once so I'm enjoying life to the fullest. This is the first car I've really tinkered with and will be my learning experience.

But yes they can say axel backs void your exhaust warranty of they felt like it too.

My tuner arrives tomorrow so ill load the 87s till I need gas them fill up with 93 and load the hybrid.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:37 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

They can tell that something was done not what. If you go out and leave your lights on and drain your battery it shows the same thing. And I have a habit of partying too hard so those type of things do happen once every few months. Peeing on the neighbors bush? Yeah. Totally jk

I have the 5yr 100k btb warranty. You only live once so I'm enjoying life to the fullest. This is the first car I've really tinkered with and will be my learning experience.

But yes they can say axel backs void your exhaust warranty of they felt like it too.

My tuner arrives tomorrow so ill load the 87s till I need gas them fill up with 93 and load the hybrid.
I couldnt agree more with living once. My 2012 is my first stang and new car. I got 22k on it in the first year. After dwelling too long, my wife bought me a cai and tune from AM today! Im saying to hell with the 14k left under warranty and enjoy this car to the fullest. Tomorrow is not promised, live it up and WOT!
tthompson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:50 AM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

As long as you dont do FI dont worry about warranty
Old 01-10-2013, 09:12 AM   #34
Registered Member
Regular

I just ordered a 91 Hybrid tune. Can't wait to get it and feel the difference between that and my 91 performance tune I'm running!
Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #35
Registered Member
Regular

I just installed my 91 Hybrid tune. Real sweet. Great low end power. Great mid range power and great high end power. Definitely is packed with performance. And I only have a 11 v6. I could not imagine what this hybrid tune would do for a 5.0 or GT500. My new favorite over the street, performance and race tunes.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang