Oil Catch can - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Oil Catch can

Seems there has been quite a bit of "performance" topics here lately. Great discussions. Here's another option you may want to consider: an oil catch can. Ford dropped the conventional PCV type setup years ago, and went with a straight tube from the valve covers to the air inlet/intake to draw any engine blowby and have it re-burned. problem is, there is quite a bit of oil mist that gets drawn into the air intake, which can do a couple of things: one is that it can dilute the air mixture a bit, and secondly, it causes this oil to deposit on the valve top, and the pistons.

Before the nay sayers jump on me and say "why did'nt Ford add this", I'll state that I do not know. However, you can buy a pre-made kit for about $100.00, or make your own (as I did) for less that $25.00. You only need to add one on the passenger side. After only 300 miles after the install, this is how much oil mist I captured and prevented from entering the air intake manifold (see the bottom of the clear tube):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catch can11.JPG
Views:	1853
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	84235  
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Yea that's crazy. Could u imagine after 20 or 30000 miles? It should come standard but atleast it don't break the bank. Great investment!
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Indiana
Nice job, looks good. Just curious, does the hose still have to connect to the Cai.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-05-2013, 02:06 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Arizona
Nice job.
pwrby4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 03:11 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Yea I got the jlt catch can which says to empty after 5000 miles but it is about full after like 1000-1500 miles, at first I was thinking I had terrible piston blow by but now that I see how much you have in there with 300 miles I have a bit more peace of mind
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:00 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Is this a kit you bought? Where?
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 04:13 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Idk about other brands. I have the Moroso and it should be installed on the passenger side of the engine. AM carries them. I think they call them air/oil separators.
Midnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:07 PM   #8
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
Looks good there Bucko! I've got one on my 5.0 as well. I could imaging what my intake and heads would look like without it. It would be a gummy mess that's for sure.

Plus, oil on the wrong side of the combustion chamber robs you of horse power so this really is a performance upgrade.
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #9
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Nice job, looks good. Just curious, does the hose still have to connect to the Cai.
The catch can installs on the passenger side valve cover to air intake.
Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: West Virgina
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
Yea I got the jlt catch can which says to empty after 5000 miles but it is about full after like 1000-1500 miles, at first I was thinking I had terrible piston blow by but now that I see how much you have in there with 300 miles I have a bit more peace of mind
Do you take a lot of short trips where your car don't warm up all the way?
jdavis96gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:27 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
So what does this do as far as performance? I thought this was a 5.0 only thing.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 PM   #12
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
So what does this do as far as performance? I thought this was a 5.0 only thing.
It keeps all of that oil in the can out of your intake. On my old 4.6L, the PCV line connected to the intake just before the throttle body. After a while the oil mist would dirty up the TB, slowing down the throttle response.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:35 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida3.7L View Post

It keeps all of that oil in the can out of your intake. On my old 4.6L, the PCV line connected to the intake just before the throttle body. After a while the oil mist would dirty up the TB, slowing down the throttle response.
I dealt with a dirty throttle body before in my 3.8. Once cleaned, now that was a cheap mod you could feel a difference
Old 01-05-2013, 10:40 PM   #14
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

I dealt with a dirty throttle body before in my 3.8. Once cleaned, now that was a cheap mod you could feel a difference
Before the catch can, I was cleaning my TB every 2-3 months. After installing it, I never had to clean it. Instead, I'd just empty out the catch can. Plus, if that much grime is getting on the TB, then how much was going through the intake manifold and on the valves? I see a catch can as well worth the money.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:07 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Seems there has been quite a bit of "performance" topics here lately. Great discussions. Here's another option you may want to consider: an oil catch can. Ford dropped the conventional PCV type setup years ago, and went with a straight tube from the valve covers to the air inlet/intake to draw any engine blowby and have it re-burned. problem is, there is quite a bit of oil mist that gets drawn into the air intake, which can do a couple of things: one is that it can dilute the air mixture a bit, and secondly, it causes this oil to deposit on the valve top, and the pistons.

Before the nay sayers jump on me and say "why did'nt Ford add this", I'll state that I do not know. However, you can buy a pre-made kit for about $100.00, or make your own (as I did) for less that $25.00. You only need to add one on the passenger side. After only 300 miles after the install, this is how much oil mist I captured and prevented from entering the air intake manifold (see the bottom of the clear tube):
How'd u make it! I wanna make one too lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavis96gt

Do you take a lot of short trips where your car don't warm up all the way?
Only one way, going to work its is about 8 miles but the temp gauge just gets to normal operating temp as I pull up.
On the way home I take the long way home. I'd say it having been 0 to 5 below zero may have had something to do with it. Now that its wamed up I'll have to see how much there is the next time I change it
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:19 AM   #17
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
Only one way, going to work its is about 8 miles but the temp gauge just gets to normal operating temp as I pull up.
On the way home I take the long way home. I'd say it having been 0 to 5 below zero may have had something to do with it. Now that its wamed up I'll have to see how much there is the next time I change it
In my case, I drive about 700 miles a week, 90% highyway speeds of 70+ MPH, so the "short trip/no warm up" is not an issue by far.

How I made mine: bought an air dryer that's used in air compressors for $19.95. You can then cut the ine off of the existing special connectors and use the fuel line and hose clamps to plumb it all up. All in all I had about $30.00 invested.
Old 01-06-2013, 07:27 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Did you use 3/8" lines.
tc x 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #19
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc x 4 View Post
Did you use 3/8" lines.
Not sure to be honest...after I cut the hard plastic molded lines off of the Ford connectors, I used fuel line hose I had hanging on the wall. I think it was 3/8.

I did not like the way the final assembly looked though once installed (it was on an angle), so I took a stock PVC tube from a 2005 Ford F150 4.2 V6 I had and used that to cut and connect to the compressor air dryer. It allowed for perfect angles, had the Ford connectors, and the hard plastic hose which slid onto the copper connectors that you have to attach to the air commpressor dryer inlet/outlet openings. They did not even require clamps. Maybe this pic shows all this:

In all, you will need from Lowes (or Home Depot): One air compressor dryer, two brass hose fittings for the inlet/outlet, fuel line, teflon tape, and clamps.

Be sure to use white teflon tape on the threaded ends of the brass fittings before installing onto the compressor air dryer for a sealed fit, and make sure the drain fitting on the dryer is good (no leaks). The passenger side is the "vacumn" side of the crankcase breathing system that you want to install this setup on.

Most folks don't want to go through the effort above to make their own, which is why I guess the JLT or Morroso kits are a popular sell.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Catch can21.JPG
Views:	923
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	84332  
Old 01-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New Jersey
Tours looks professionally done though!
Aruiz42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:45 AM   #21
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Talking I guess you don't realize this.

That oil going into your engine is very important. That extra unburned oil is there to lubricate the Catalytic converters. The lubrication going into the cat's actually let the exhaust slip through much easier then if they are not lubricated.

The little bit left in your engine to sludge it up actually has a purpose. The sludge will kind of sound deaden the moving parts in the engine as they start to get loose and make noise.

I can't believe none of you car guy's knew this.

Ronnie

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:54 AM   #22
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
That oil going into your engine is very important. That extra unburned oil is there to lubricate the Catalytic converters. The lubrication going into the cat's actually let the exhaust slip through much easier then if they are not lubricated.

The little bit left in your engine to sludge it up actually has a purpose. The sludge will kind of sound deaden the moving parts in the engine as they start to get loose and make noise.

Ronnie

Never knew that. Given that info, my new 3.7L should be much better since the PCV line connects after the TB rather than just before it like in my 4.6L.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Of course it is better

It is a later design. With this design you have no need for high performance Cat's and if enough unburned oil gets past the Cat's the oil will actually lubricate the tail pipe and mufflers. Talk about a slippery air stream of exhaust.This is the optimal. I guess you could call the stock setup a high performance PCV valve.
Ronnie

[COLOR="Silver"]

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

OK, I'm back to reality.

Bucko, Your catch can is really great. It looks as good or even better then the one's already made that are for sale. I think that is my next mod. Thanks for the great tips,
Ronnie
Old 01-06-2013, 01:05 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
It is a later design. With this design you have no need for high performance Cat's and if enough unburned oil gets past the Cat's the oil will actually lubricate the tail pipe and mufflers. Talk about a slippery air stream of exhaust.This is the optimal. I guess you could call the stock setup a high performance PCV valve.
Ronnie

---------- Post added at 01:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:51 PM ----------

OK, I'm back to reality.

Bucko, Your catch can is really great. It looks as good or even better then the one's already made that are for sale. I think that is my next mod. Thanks for the great tips,
Ronnie
Wait, I thought you said that without one it was the best setup, so why buy one?
Old 01-06-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Hi White

Ha! Ha! Ha!

You know me by now, I like to waste my $$$$ on everything I do not need.

Ronnie
Old 01-06-2013, 01:29 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Ha! Ha! Ha!

You know me by now, I like to waste my $$$$ on everything I do not need.

Ronnie
LOL ^^^
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
The oil is blown back into the intake yet interestingly Ford tells me a K&N drop in can cause the oil from the filter to damage the sensors. Go figure.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight2012 View Post
The oil is blown back into the intake yet interestingly Ford tells me a K&N drop in can cause the oil from the filter to damage the sensors. Go figure.
I think ford is talking about the MAF sensor which is before the PCV return. That is why they don't recommend an oil filter (not my words ya'll)!!!!

Before my CAI, I had a K&N drop in (oiled) and the service dept gave me crap saying the same thing.

2011 Black Mustang GT Premium
Corsa XO & Sport AB/Airaid/Bama 93R
Best 1/4 mile to date 60' 2.009
12.538 ET @112.33
100+ Deg 85 Hum RPR 3PM 1/2 tank street tires
nhcowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:14 PM   #29
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

K&N has been around way to long to be a problem

Even Ford sells K&N filters

Read this:
K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

If any idiot at the dealership tells you that the MAF was contminated by a K&N filter just have them call K&N or if they don't want to you can have K&N call them.

Ronnie
Old 01-06-2013, 03:33 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Quote:
Even Ford sells K&N filters

Read this:
K&N Response to Mass Air Flow Sensor Concerns

If any idiot at the dealership tells you that the MAF was contminated by a K&N filter just have them call K&N or if they don't want to you can have K&N call them.

Ronnie
Thanks Ronnie. I had K&N and Magnaflows on the PT Cruiser I traded in and Chrysler never said a word. But Ford wants to discourage me from both. And on a car they hype as customizable. It amazes me. I understand Ford Racing sells K&N but I've had one tech tell me Ford Racing isn't sanctioned by Ford. Hard to tell what to believe.
Midnight2012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 04:51 PM   #31
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

He is an idiot

Ford Racing is part of Ford Motor Company. The way it works is if you purchase anything from Ford Racing through your dealer and have them install it . It will not effect your warranty at all. As far as a K&N air filter goes. All you have to do is dispute any problems with the dealer with Ford. I'm sure happy I have a dealer that is selling Rausch, Shelby's, SVT's & other high performance Mustangs. My dealer even has a Mustang in the Rolex. I asked about modifications when I bought my car and was told as long as I know that if the mod destroys something it won't be covered but they have not encountered any problems with things such as Mufflers, Cold Air intakes among other bolt on items. They do not like tunning due to so many different one's and sometimes having difficulty with trying to address a problem through the PMC codes not working properly after a tune.

Ronnie

My dealers Mustang at Rolex 2011
Old 01-07-2013, 05:25 AM   #32
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Quote:

Ronnie

Gotta be careful what you say here; folks may take you seriously....Sludge has a purpose? Engine blowby oil is used to lubricate catalitic converters?!? Now that's funny.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:03 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Gotta be careful what you say here; folks may take you seriously....Sludge has a purpose? Engine blowby oil is used to lubricate catalitic converters?!? Now that's funny.
Always thought oil was supposed to remain in the lower parts and internals of an engine. Anything above is bad. Plus isn't that black stuff in your exhaust carbon build up? I've seen gas spit out of pipes in old carb cars but never heard of such oil lining the pipes in a FI engine
Old 01-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #34
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This was just a bit of faciacest humer

In other words I was joking I did not really think anyone would take this serious.

Quote:

Ronnie
Old 01-07-2013, 08:32 PM   #35
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Quote:
In other words I was joking I did not really think anyone would take this serious.

You just worded it so perfectly. I admit I didn't even think twice until I reread it later haha.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang