Would really appreciate your opinion, or if you have this issue too! - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-07-2013, 12:33 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Would really appreciate your opinion, or if you have this issue too!

Okay, I have followed these forums for a long time, and been craving a mustang even longer, now I have a 2012 v6 premium 6 speed and I love it!

But I have this constant issue with my foot hitting the door as I get out, or I can't open the door enough to get out without moving my seat back and forth.

Because I like to sit close enough to where I do t have to stretch to push the clutch in all the way.

I was considering lambo doors to get rid of this problem, so the doors old upward and not outward, therefor not any risk if hitting another car, and my foot doesn't constantly hit the door speaker.

But at the same time I want it to look tasteful...... And I truly feel like doing that to such a classic muscle car could be shameful..... I don't think it would look to bad.....

But I am more concerned about the functionality of not constantly banging foot on the door or having to move the seat back everytime I need to get out while parked next to another car...

Any of your opinions or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!

Thank you very much!
DigitalBman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alaska
Haha I would say wait a month or two and you will subconciously learn to avoid it, but it is an excuse to get lambo doors.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:40 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak_stang View Post
Haha I would say wait a month or two and you will subconciously learn to avoid it, but it is an excuse to get lambo doors.
Well that is exactly what my first thought was..... But i have had my pony for over 3 months.... And 90% of the time I still hit the dang speaker with my foot.... Or my knee on the coned if the dash trying to avoid my foot hitting it....

I am just curious what other true mustang lovers think of lambo doors on a mustang.... If it is tasteful or not...

But yeah true!! Ha I have always liked lambo doors, but never would have imagined I would even think about them on a mustang!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I think they are considered to be ricer by most mustang owners, diffinaly not the worst exterior mod you can do though.
ak_stang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:12 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
Yep. Lots of people had this issue. In most cars I drive, I almost have the seat slid all the way back. It's just the position I prefer. I can't with this car because of the clutch. I've adapted to actually sliding further down in the seat in a more reclined position to give me better clutch access now.

However, there is another option, one I'm wanting to try but it's a bit expensive for me to just jump at...
Mustang EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension

It might be just the solution you're looking for though.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:21 AM   #6
ME Bloodhound
Staff

Region: California
If you do get lambo doors, make sure it is a kit specific to the car. Those universal kits will always hurt your door. You will go to close it and it won't align properly and you will scrap and bang panels. But i do think it just takes a little getting used to.

Bullitt build paused pending graduation

HID end all thread
Soccerluvr4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:39 AM   #7
It's not me, it's you.
Regular
Supporter

Region: Texas
You should have gotten to Base V6, no door speaker at the the bottom. Hehe!
primer2tone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:44 AM   #8
Abominable Mustang

Regular
Staff

Vertical Doors Install

This guy did the Lambo door mod and it doesn't look too bad. I think the worst part about Vertical doors is the fact that the ricer community has access to universal kits and uses them on just about every car they can get their hands on. It ruins it for everyone else.
LCA Relocation brackets, AE driveshaft, GT 80mm TB,
Black 18x9/10 2010 GT500 Wheels w/ Nitto NT555s,
Eibach Sportline Springs/shocks & Koni STR.T Struts
WhoDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 02:32 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Used to have the same problem but after a month or 2 u will get use to it
FOX21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 05:19 AM   #10
Admin

Supporter
Admin

I'm a purist, so I would not go the route of lambo doors myself. I do notice a huge difference between my Mustang and F150 truck. I accept this difference, as they are both two different beasts. The Mustang is a go-cart of sorts to me.

How tall are you? Did you notice this slight inconvienience when you test drove the Mustang?

You may have to bite the bullet and slide the seat back, and get used to having to stretch a bit to operate the clutch. Try an inch back at first, then a bit more until you can perhaps avoid hitting the door on the way out.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Lambo doors on a mustang = a big no no.
Old 01-07-2013, 07:59 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Tennessee
I think it would look cool. If you can just get past the ricers. The big thing is getting a good quality one that doesn't need adjustments. Most of the ones I've seen need constant adjustment to keep the pin lined up with the latch instead of the door.
DerekJohnScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 AM   #13
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

This goes all the way back to 1964

The way the mustang is designed you needed to open a door all the way to get in and out. They are not like a four door car with shorter doors and farther forward hinges. Not only Mustangs are like this but a lot of two door cars have the longer doors to allow people to get into the back seat easier. If this is your only problem I'm sure you will get used to it and it will not bother you at all in a short while.

Shari's 1966 Mustang is the same except being really lower it seams worse to get in and out of.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:04 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus
Regular

Region: South Carolina
Send a message via AIM to Hmiller
I had trouble at first because I'm so close to the steering wheel... Now I just slip in and out no problem ... Lol It took a while to get used to. If you really aren't sure give it a few more months.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
Yep. Lots of people had this issue. In most cars I drive, I almost have the seat slid all the way back. It's just the position I prefer. I can't with this car because of the clutch. I've adapted to actually sliding further down in the seat in a more reclined position to give me better clutch access now.

However, there is another option, one I'm wanting to try but it's a bit expensive for me to just jump at...
Mustang EZ-Clutch Pedal Extension

It might be just the solution you're looking for though.
This seems perfect!!!! I absolutely love this idea!

But I wonder if it will effect the clutch/breaking that needs to be done while starting on a Hill.... There are several around my area....

I would not buy this part as I have means to fabricate one myself. 50$ for plastic seems excessive......

But thank you very much for the link!!!

If anybody has input on how they think this will effect the clutch/breaking that goes along with starting on a hill I'd love to hear your opinions!

And thank you very much everyone that has given me there opinions!

And I really like that guys a lot!! I think that looks great and I love that it can open normally too, and I could save it for when I need to get out in a tight spot....

I really like this forum a lot!! Again thank you all!

---------- Post added at 09:28 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:26 AM ----------

And if I end up fabricating one of my own little clutch extenders I would machine it out of aluminum most likely.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:29 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Im with Ms Miller...
you get used to it....
my seat position, being only 5' 10" is halfway giving me good clutch pedal without being too far up. Yes..the door speaker does jut out too far...but in time, you will just get in and out a bit slower to avoid it. I wont be plasti dipping those speaker rings anytime soon..cause id just knock it off with my foot if im in a hurry and forget...errr
Hopefully this will be eliminated in the 2015....

"Slimer" 2013 V6 Premium 6MT
"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Gtzzoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:38 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Minnesota
I think the EZ Clutch is way cheaper with a lot less rice. IMO vertical doors should only be on super cars. With an exception to the gull wing dorrs on the Delorean
Skulls98GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

^+1 Skulls!
In complete agreement there...plus more chance of damaging the doors

"What you have here sir, is a class 5 full roaming vapor, a real nasty fella!" Ray Stanz (Dan Akroyd) in Ghostbusters
Old 01-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

The problem with Lambo doors

Instead of you hitting the door with your leg you will probably hit your head on the door. If I were you I would check them out before you buy them.

The one I seen at A car show on A Mustang actually could open normaly or Lambo style. I only paid attention because the owner was showing another guy how the doors worked.

I only knew that they were not for me.
Ronnie

ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

What do y'all think about the EZ clutch affecting starting on a hill??
Old 01-07-2013, 04:32 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

shouldnt be a problem....

Old 01-07-2013, 05:02 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

I don't understand your starting issues on a hill... Do you hit the brake with your clutch foot? Most people heel/toe the gas and brake.

Either way, it should make everything easier for you.

Old 01-07-2013, 08:26 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanguin View Post
I don't understand your starting issues on a hill... Do you hit the brake with your clutch foot? Most people heel/toe the gas and brake.

Either way, it should make everything easier for you.
That's exactly what I am talking about! Doing the heel/toe deal..... With placing a block like that under the clutch it will raise the clutch closer to me than brake pedal, I am not sure if that will help starting on a hill or impede it or affect it at all....

I honestly am starting to think it won't affect it at all, maybe even improve it.

Because the clutch pedal being raised will make it more online with the brake..... I honestly couldn't say without trying it...

Does that make sense?
Old 01-07-2013, 09:32 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

If anything it should make it easier cause the clutch will be closer to the brake. You always pushing the clutch into the floorboard. You only push the brake a couple inches or so to hold the car.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang