axlebacks with a twist - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Join Mustang Evolution Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
axlebacks with a twist

I have been looking for some axle backs for my 3.7 but I have heard modt of axlebacks online(not in person). But I seem to not like any of them some sound to obnoxious, drone or have some bad reviews for dqily driving. Yet some people say putting gt500 mufflers on the 3.7 would sound good deep and not ricey or obnoxiou. Basicly can you guys give me some advice or first hand experience I know I would have to customize them to with the oem piping.
__________________

__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:33 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Doe_Rae_mi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,585
Doe_Rae_mi is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1
I have been looking for some axle backs for my 3.7 but I have heard modt of axlebacks online(not in person). But I seem to not like any of them some sound to obnoxious, drone or have some bad reviews for dqily driving. Yet some people say putting gt500 mufflers on the 3.7 would sound good deep and not ricey or obnoxiou. Basicly can you guys give me some advice or first hand experience I know I would have to customize them to with the oem piping.
Yes that would be fine...just whatever you do don't get rid of your cats
__________________

__________________
Doe_Rae_mi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:57 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,800
Charlie_santos is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
I have been looking for some axle backs for my 3.7 but I have heard modt of axlebacks online(not in person). But I seem to not like any of them some sound to obnoxious, drone or have some bad reviews for dqily driving. Yet some people say putting gt500 mufflers on the 3.7 would sound good deep and not ricey or obnoxiou. Basicly can you guys give me some advice or first hand experience I know I would have to customize them to with the oem piping.
If you put GT500 mufflers on your V6 it's actually gna make it quiet if u remove ur catts it will flow better and sound better trust me I tried them on my car with headers and xpipe and it sounded great!
__________________
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

If you put GT500 mufflers on your V6 it's actually gna make it quiet if u remove ur catts it will flow better and sound better trust me I tried them on my car with headers and xpipe and it sounded great!
You have gt500 with headers and or xpipe? I just want a good deep exhaust not too loud
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:50 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,800
Charlie_santos is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

You have gt500 with headers and or xpipe? I just want a good deep exhaust not too loud
I got rid of them cuz I wanted louder but I had them on my car with headers and xpipe and it sounds deep at idle and low RPMs but gets nice n loud at WOT
__________________
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

I got rid of them cuz I wanted louder but I had them on my car with headers and xpipe and it sounds deep at idle and low RPMs but gets nice n loud at WOT
So it was good you just wanted a morr aggressive sound, did it sound raspy or ricey?
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:09 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,221
Whitelightning is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

So it was good you just wanted a morr aggressive sound, did it sound raspy or ricey?
These are Mazda based engine blocks. What would you expect. Plus we have a v6. Anything will sound better than stock but all will have some rasp/tuner/trumpet to it. Just the nature of the beast. But these 3.7 engines sound 100x better than the 3.8 and 4.0.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph can kill you... thats why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:19 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

These are Mazda based engine blocks. What would you expect. Plus we have a v6. Anything will sound better than stock but all will have some rasp/tuner/trumpet to it. Just the nature of the beast. But these 3.7 engines sound 100x better than the 3.8 and 4.0.
Yeha I know they are v6 from mazda but some people have had setups where they dont sound like honda or raspy like a class on their own but too loud.
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:36 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 3,800
Charlie_santos is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

So it was good you just wanted a morr aggressive sound, did it sound raspy or ricey?
It sounded deep and awesome!! You will not be disappointed
__________________
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:43 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 113
Otis is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
I have been looking for some axle backs for my 3.7 but I have heard modt of axlebacks online(not in person). But I seem to not like any of them some sound to obnoxious, drone or have some bad reviews for dqily driving. Yet some people say putting gt500 mufflers on the 3.7 would sound good deep and not ricey or obnoxiou. Basicly can you guys give me some advice or first hand experience I know I would have to customize them to with the oem piping.
Installed the GT500 axlebacks on my 2013. I wanted something just a little louder than stock. I like them a lot. Here's a post on my research and install. Video is just a few days after installing.

GT 500 muffler on 2013 V6?
__________________
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:07 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post

Installed the GT500 axlebacks on my 2013. I wanted something just a little louder than stock. I like them a lot. Here's a post on my research and install. Video is just a few days after installing.

GT 500 muffler on 2013 V6?
Ohhh thank you very much they sound great, especially on idle they sound like a v8 O.o. Is yours manual seems like it by how the car moved?
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 06:37 AM   #12
The moral majority is neither
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,076
bucko is just getting started.
I posted a thread on installing GT500's on my 2011 V6. The sound is great! Nice idle rumble, great cruising speed (not loud nor any drone), and if you hit the right pedal, you'll notice it, but it's not a cop attention getter.

For the 2011 and 2012's, all the hangers are the same between the V6 and V8's so that's alright, but you will need a muffler shop to cut the back tubes off of your V6 mufflers and weld them onto the GT500's as the "ball" connection for the V6's are a smaller diameter. I've read that the 2013's have different hanger setups, so if that's your case, research it if you go the route of GT500's. The best part? I got them used for under $200.00 shipped to my door, and the muffler shop did the back tube welding AND install for $80.00! Much less than just the purchase of an axle back set of mufflers!

I should note that the GT500 mufflers are heavier than the Stock V6 ones though. I don't know why, as they flow much better than the stock ones.

Here's a couple of pics of the install on my V6 (the left showing the weld, the right shoing how nice they fill the openings):
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	muffler_weld.JPG
Views:	52
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	84826   Click image for larger version

Name:	back_shot.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	84827  

__________________
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:45 AM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I posted a thread on installing GT500's on my 2011 V6. The sound is great! Nice idle rumble, great cruising speed (not loud nor any drone), and if you hit the right pedal, you'll notice it, but it's not a cop attention getter.

For the 2011 and 2012's, all the hangers are the same between the V6 and V8's so that's alright, but you will need a muffler shop to cut the back tubes off of your V6 mufflers and weld them onto the GT500's as the "ball" connection for the V6's are a smaller diameter. I've read that the 2013's have different hanger setups, so if that's your case, research it if you go the route of GT500's. The best part? I got them used for under $200.00 shipped to my door, and the muffler shop did the back tube welding AND install for $80.00! Much less than just the purchase of an axle back set of mufflers!

I should note that the GT500 mufflers are heavier than the Stock V6 ones though. I don't know why, as they flow much better than the stock ones.

Here's a couple of pics of the install on my V6 (the left showing the weld, the right shoing how nice they fill the openings):
Thank you, I have a 2012 also would it matter whatvyear of gt500s? Like lets say 2008 or 2012 are the same?
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #14
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,525
ronnie948 is just getting started.
Magnaflow Street Axlebacks here.

They are lighter then the stock mufflers.
The tips look great.
Completely made of stainless steel.
Great sound at start up.
Nice deep rumble at idle.
Come very much alive when flooring it through the gears.
Absolutely no drone at any RPM.

They may seem a little costly but you get what you pay for.





__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.
Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:39 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They are lighter then the stock mufflers.
The tips look great.
Completely made of stainless steel.
Great sound at start up.
Nice deep rumble at idle.
Come very much alive when flooring it through the gears.
Absolutely no drone at any RPM.

They may seem a little costly but you get what you pay for.


Why costly most axlebacks are more than 400, used gt500 are below 100 or so. Are they 4"?
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:52 AM   #16
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,525
ronnie948 is just getting started.
I have the streets on my 2012 V6----BUT---

I have heard a 2011 with GT-500 mufflers and believe me when I tell you the streets in real life sound much better and the tips look way much better. The GT-500 mufflers don't sound much different then the stock V6 mufflers.

They probably sound great if you remove the Cat's but if you are leaving the cat's on you may as well keep your stock mufflers.

Like Charlie_Santos said:
Quote:
If you put GT500 mufflers on your V6 it's actually gna make it quiet if u remove ur catts it will flow better and sound better trust me I tried them on my car with headers and xpipe and it sounded great!
Like I Said::
Quote:
Magnaflow streets may be a little costly but you get what you pay for
Ronnie
__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.
Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:55 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 113
Otis is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
Ohhh thank you very much they sound great, especially on idle they sound like a v8 O.o. Is yours manual seems like it by how the car moved?
Glad the video and post helped. You're very observant, it is a manual. Only other modification is an Airaid CAI. I think Ronnie was referring to his Magnaflow Streets as far as cost and weight. I got my gt500s from AM for $309. Great deal for what you get. If you can find them used even better. Call AM or Ford Racing if you are unsure of fitment of 2008's for your car (both were very helpful when I called them regarding my 2013). Good luck and let us know how they work out.
__________________
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:10 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have heard a 2011 with GT-500 mufflers and believe me when I tell you the streets in real life sound much better and the tips look way much better. The GT-500 mufflers don't sound much different then the stock V6 mufflers.

They probably sound great if you remove the Cat's but if you are leaving the cat's on you may as well keep your stock mufflers.

Like Charlie_Santos said:

Like I Said::

Ronnie
Which setups have you used I had also thought about streets but the price might seem a lil too much as they are just mufflers.
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #19
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ronnie948's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 2,525
ronnie948 is just getting started.
I bought the Magnaflow streets and I'm 100% satisfied.

I just looked and I see the price of axleback anything really went up since I bought mine. The Magnaflow streets from AM are now $632.00 less the AM discount if you have 50 or more posts. (About $595.00) I paid $512.00 for mine when I bought them.

Now that I know how nice they sound and the great quality I still would buy them for the $632.00. Mine sound that good to me.

I'm going to be keeping my MCA edition for a very long time so I like to do my research and Mod's to satisfy me for years to come.

I would just hate spending a few hundred dollars and have my car sounding almost the same as it did with the stock mufflers. "AND" there is no way in this world I'm going to remove the Cat's. I travel out of state and all I need is to get stopped and the cop looks and sees I have no Cat's. I sure don't need my Mustang impounded in a state like Virginia.

AM does price match so see if you can find Magnaflow streets for a lowere price.

__________________
2012-candy red- V-6 MCA, Automatic Trans. CFM Valve cover breather. MMD blackTail light trim.
Magnaflow axle back street mufflers, JLT oil catch can.MMD hood struts.
Airaid Cold Air intake. red caliper covers, 3.7L performance engine cover, Flat black hood spears.Boss 302 strut brace, CDC rear panel, Trunk Cargo net,--Dash carpet cover,
Viser stickers to cover ugly yellow warning crap,
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:20 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I just looked and I see the price of axleback anything really went up since I bought mine. The Magnaflow streets from AM are now $632.00 less the AM discount if you have 50 or more posts. (About $595.00) I paid $512.00 for mine when I bought them.

Now that I know how nice they sound and the great quality I still would buy them for the $632.00. Mine sound that good to me.

I'm going to be keeping my MCA edition for a very long time so I like to do my research and Mod's to satisfy me for years to come.

I would just hate spending a few hundred dollars and have my car sounding almost the same as it did with the stock mufflers. "AND" there is no way in this world I'm going to remove the Cat's. I travel out of state and all I need is to get stopped and the cop looks and sees I have no Cat's. I sure don't need my Mustang impounded in a state like Virginia.

AM does price match so see if you can find Magnaflow streets for a lowere price.
Have you use the gt500 or heard them in person I haven't heard any of the exhaust in person . I understand but I sincerely can't see myself spending so much for mufflers... I would rather but sct tuner with gears or save it since I am a full time student and work full time and I have to pay for my school.
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #21
The moral majority is neither
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,076
bucko is just getting started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I have heard a 2011 with GT-500 mufflers and believe me when I tell you the streets in real life sound much better and the tips look way much better. The GT-500 mufflers don't sound much different then the stock V6 mufflers.

They probably sound great if you remove the Cat's but if you are leaving the cat's on you may as well keep your stock mufflers.

Like Charlie_Santos said:


Like I Said::


Ronnie
??????

That's wrong. The GT500's on a V6 are like night and day. Great sound at idle, great when you get on it, but smooth when cruising. I wish the OP was close; I'd gladely let him or anyone else hear them firsthand. Now if you are comparing them to something like the Roush setup, then sure. The Roush axle backs are "oboxious loud" to some; great to others. Looks and sound are completely subjective. Everyone will have an opinion. My suggestion to the OP is that you find some Mustangs in your area with these installs (and other setups), then make your choice.

I'd sure like to know what GT500 axle backs were installed by those that say they are "quieter" than stock! In no way is this the case with my install.

As to what years fit what, I'd safely say that any 2011 to 2012 GT500 axle back with fit the 2011 to 2012 V6's with modification to the back tube as I stated.
__________________
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:53 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Wrong! The GT500's on a V6 sound way better than stock! The stockers had no sound at all. The GT500's are like night and day. Great sound at idle, great when you get on it, but smooth when cruising. I wish the OP was close; I'd gladely let him or anyone else hear them firsthand.

As to what years fit what, I'd safely say that any 2011 to 2012 GT500 axle back with fit the 2011 to 2012 V6's with modification to the back tube as I stated.

For me, the price of the GT500's was well worth it. I have no problem with the aftermarket stuff; if you want to pay it for what some say are better looking tips, then go for it.

Looks are completely up to the buyer. You have a couple of choices now. I'd suggest you find some Mustangs in your area with these and other setups, and make your choice.
You live anywhere near texas? Lol
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:04 AM   #23
The moral majority is neither
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,076
bucko is just getting started.
I used to work out of the Dallas area up to a year and a half ago. Transfered back to Central Florida.

I wish I could get you to hear mine. They are sweet. I had a set of Roush axlebacks on for one hour. Nice idle, but when you got on it, they were way too loud for me. Removed them and installed the stock ones. Sold the Roush promptly. After several weekend trips to some local car meets, I heard a set of the GT500's on a 2012 V6 Mustang. It was what I was after.

I have no dogs in the race as to what you buy; it's your ride, your money, and you should obviously get what will please you.
However, there is no way that the 2011 GT500's I bought from another Mustang site member are equal or quieter than the stock V6 setup.

Even GT owners are buying and installing them on their rides, as quite a few like the sound over their stock GT mufflers.

Don't take my word for it. Continue with your research. All I'll say is that I like the tunes that come from my ride. Not anywhere close to the hush exhaust of the stock ones!
__________________
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I used to work out of the Dallas area up to a year and a half ago. Transfered back to Central Florida.

I wish I could get you to hear mine. They are sweet. I had a set of Roush axlebacks on for one hour. Nice idle, but when you got on it, they were way too loud for me. Removed them and installed the stock ones. Sold the Roush promptly. After several weekend trips to some local car meets, I heard a set of the GT500's on a 2012 V6 Mustang. It was what I was after.

I have no dogs in the race as to what you buy; it's your ride, your money, and you should obviously get what will please you.
However, there is no way that the 2011 GT500's I bought from another Mustang site member are equal or quieter than the stock V6 setup.

Even GT owners are buying and installing them on their rides, as quite a few like the sound over their stock GT mufflers.

Don't take my word for it. Continue with your research. All I'll say is that I like the tunes that come from my ride. Not anywhere close to the hush exhaust of the stock ones!
From what you are telling it sounds like the sound I am after. I like the Roush but from many other reviews they are way yo loud. I like a nice deep tone that is respectable but not annoying or to obnoxiously loud. How much should I expect to pay used gt500?
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #25
The moral majority is neither
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,076
bucko is just getting started.
I paid $200.00 used which included shipping from another Mustang site. I got a great deal. I've seen them being sold for $230.00 to $250.00 plus shipping on the same and other sites.

Check Ebay if your interested.

Again, I'm in no way trying to influence you. I would strongly suggest you visit some local shows or "get togethers" and listen to them, and other exhaust setups, then make your choice.

The tips are indeed plain, like your stockers, just wider. Other cat back systems have some beutiful "rolled" type tips. This was not a factor in my purchase; maybe it is to you or others reading this thread.

The sound is great though. Start it up, it rumbles, once the idle settles after the cold start, its a smooth, mellow idle; more than stock for sure! Cruising at speeds of 70ish, its "there", but you'll hear your radio just fine. Step on it, you'll hear it; not like a Roush setup, but it makes good noise!

You'll never make it a V8; that sound is unique.

Won't piss the neighbors off as you drive away, won't get the cops turning heads on the highways, and no drone.
__________________
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
ebgonzalez1's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 335
ebgonzalez1 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
I paid $200.00 used which included shipping from another Mustang site. I got a great deal. I've seen them being sold for $230.00 to $250.00 plus shipping on the same and other sites.

Check Ebay if your interested.

Again, I'm in no way trying to influence you. I would strongly suggest you visit some local shows or "get togethers" and listen to them, and other exhaust setups, then make your choice.

The tips are indeed plain, like your stockers, just wider. Other cat back systems have some beutiful "rolled" type tips. This was not a factor in my purchase; maybe it is to you or others reading this thread.

The sound is great though. Start it up, it rumbles, once the idle settles after the cold start, its a smooth idle. Cruising at speeds of 70ish, its smooth. Step on it, you'll hear it!

Won't piss the neighbors off as you drive away, won't get the cops turning heads on the highways, and no drone.
Thank you for your help I appreciate it a lot
__________________
"Just a lil Sixxer...."
ebgonzalez1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:15 PM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,221
Whitelightning is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post

Yeha I know they are v6 from mazda but some people have had setups where they dont sound like honda or raspy like a class on their own but too loud.
That's usually your people running headers. I would start there imo. I'm going with roush js. I know people hate them alot but something about the idle is all I care about.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

I'm gonna just throw it out there as an assumption. But the GT-500 muffler is what's stock on a well, gt500. So wouldn't that mean that ford probably packed it a little similar to the GT an v6? I mean yeah its a 5.4 supercharged but they had to appeal to all state laws
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph can kill you... thats why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:07 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
JAC20's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Posts: 512
JAC20 is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
I just looked and I see the price of axleback anything really went up since I bought mine. The Magnaflow streets from AM are now $632.00 less the AM discount if you have 50 or more posts. (About $595.00) I paid $512.00 for mine when I bought them.

Now that I know how nice they sound and the great quality I still would buy them for the $632.00. Mine sound that good to me.

I'm going to be keeping my MCA edition for a very long time so I like to do my research and Mod's to satisfy me for years to come.

I would just hate spending a few hundred dollars and have my car sounding almost the same as it did with the stock mufflers. "AND" there is no way in this world I'm going to remove the Cat's. I travel out of state and all I need is to get stopped and the cop looks and sees I have no Cat's. I sure don't need my Mustang impounded in a state like Virginia.

AM does price match so see if you can find Magnaflow streets for a lowere price.
+1

Love the streets. Probably my favorite mod so far. They were quite expensive though.
__________________
JAC20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:07 AM   #29
The moral majority is neither
Admin
 
bucko's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,076
bucko is just getting started.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
That's usually your people running headers. I would start there imo. I'm going with roush js. I know people hate them alot but something about the idle is all I care about.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:12 PM ----------

I'm gonna just throw it out there as an assumption. But the GT-500 muffler is what's stock on a well, gt500. So wouldn't that mean that ford probably packed it a little similar to the GT an v6? I mean yeah its a 5.4 supercharged but they had to appeal to all state laws
Yikes! have you heard a GT500 exhaust note? A stock, top of the line 500 plus HP Mustang is not going to have a simular exhaust note as the GT or V6; certainly not as quiet as a stock GT or V6.
Your right; they are street legal, but far more exhaust note than a stock V6 or GT muffler.

Granted, they are not the loudest mufflers out there (I'm not into this), and their tips are not double rolled, but then again, they won't cost you $500.00 to $600.00 either. If folks are looking for a less cost alternative with a much better than stock sound, go and listen to them. Head over to your Ford dealership that has a GT500, and ask them to start it up. They sound great on a V8, and they sound great on a V6. You'll never get a V8 sound from a V6, but these are a good choice to consider.

If money (for me) were no object, I'd be owning and driving the snot out of a Shelby or Boss 302. Since I'm on a budget, I consider alternatives for my mods.
__________________
"These cars are meant to be driven", so enjoy all of it - not just the look of it when it is all clean" - Carroll Shelby

2011 Mustang; CAI, GT/CS/Boss front bumper cover/lower valance/splitter, GT front rotor upgrade, MPT 93 tune.
bucko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:01 PM   #30
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 113
Otis is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebgonzalez1 View Post
Have you use the gt500 or heard them in person I haven't heard any of the exhaust in person . I understand but I sincerely can't see myself spending so much for mufflers... I would rather but sct tuner with gears or save it since I am a full time student and work full time and I have to pay for my school.
I'll chime in as exhaust selection is difficult using youtube videos and sound clips. I was torn between the GT500s and Magnaflow Streets. I liked the deep sound of the Streets. I also liked the slightly more unrefined sound of the GT500s. It all depends what you want in the end. My experience with the GT500s is under normal idle or cruising they are fairly quiet, absolutely no drone on the hwy at any speed. At idle they have a subtle burble to them that the stock V6 didn't have. Once you tip into the throttle and put the engine under load they are much more aggressive sounding than the stock exhaust and definitely have more presence. If someone wants something that you will always hear while cruising or idling then another exhaust will suit you. I wanted a subtle exhaust that would not be obnoxious to my passengers, but still have an aggressive tone (edit - "obnoxious" is a subjective term, so not implying Streets are obnoxious - I like them!) If you can find a local club, go visit them and listen to different set ups. Personally I like the unrolled look of the GT500 tips a lot and don't see them as a negative vs the rolled tips of other exhausts. Hope that helps.
__________________
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:18 PM   #31
Registered Member
Regular
 
geepoons's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 216
geepoons is unknown around these parts
Where can I pick up these gt500 mufflers ? Didn't see much on eBay .
__________________
geepoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:35 PM   #32
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 113
Otis is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by geepoons View Post
Where can I pick up these gt500 mufflers ? Didn't see much on eBay .
Check AmericanMuscle.com, Late Model Restoration, or Ford Racing. They are listed under GT exhausts. These listed as equivalent to stock GT500 mufflers. Need to be modified to fit.
__________________
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #33
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3,221
Whitelightning is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
Yikes! have you heard a GT500 exhaust note? A stock, top of the line 500 plus HP Mustang is not going to have a simular exhaust note as the GT or V6; certainly not as quiet as a stock GT or V6.
Your right; they are street legal, but far more exhaust note than a stock V6 or GT muffler.

Granted, they are not the loudest mufflers out there (I'm not into this), and their tips are not double rolled, but then again, they won't cost you $500.00 to $600.00 either. If folks are looking for a less cost alternative with a much better than stock sound, go and listen to them. Head over to your Ford dealership that has a GT500, and ask them to start it up. They sound great on a V8, and they sound great on a V6. You'll never get a V8 sound from a V6, but these are a good choice to consider.

If money (for me) were no object, I'd be owning and driving the snot out of a Shelby or Boss 302. Since I'm on a budget, I consider alternatives for my mods.
I've heard 3 gt500s. A 2013 and two 11-12 models. My God man it was amazing. The sound so open and like every GT should sound stock. I jut don't see how the v6 can push enough exhaust out to make it sound nice. I believe I've heard yours. I like it. I just want to be able to bolt up my exhaust for now and work toward the engine. I can't stand quiet, I like drone but not DRONE! I've heard a GT kinda get on it and I thought, I can match that volume at open throttle but ill never get the tone. Embrace the tone and just be happy you have a nice car instead of an unsafe Camry or something.

Also if I ha the money id be in a boss 302 or a 5.0 as a DD.

---------- Post added at 04:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:14 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otis View Post

I'll chime in as exhaust selection is difficult using youtube videos and sound clips. I was torn between the GT500s and Magnaflow Streets. I liked the deep sound of the Streets. I also liked the slightly more unrefined sound of the GT500s. It all depends what you want in the end. My experience with the GT500s is under normal idle or cruising they are fairly quiet, absolutely no drone on the hwy at any speed. At idle they have a subtle burble to them that the stock V6 didn't have. Once you tip into the throttle and put the engine under load they are much more aggressive sounding than the stock exhaust and definitely have more presence. If someone wants something that you will always hear while cruising or idling then another exhaust will suit you. I wanted a subtle exhaust that would not be obnoxious to my passengers, but still have an aggressive tone (edit - "obnoxious" is a subjective term, so not implying Streets are obnoxious - I like them!) If you can find a local club, go visit them and listen to different set ups. Personally I like the unrolled look of the GT500 tips a lot and don't see them as a negative vs the rolled tips of other exhausts. Hope that helps.
My v6 stock exhaust has a drone to it at any speed as long as its between 1.5-2k rpm. I wanted magnoflow streets too, but after hearing a set on a mustang drive by....ehh. Not gonna pay $650 for something that is just ehh. Ill go with a unrefined roush for $450. It's the idle that I mainly want. Kinda like a NASCAR idle but on a pass by with NORMAL driving, it sounds like a stout mustang. Not a v6 or a deep v8, just stout. Rambling sorry.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph can kill you... thats why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:50 PM   #34
Registered Member
Regular
 
Otis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 113
Otis is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post
My v6 stock exhaust has a drone to it at any speed as long as its between 1.5-2k rpm. I wanted magnoflow streets too, but after hearing a set on a mustang drive by....ehh. Not gonna pay $650 for something that is just ehh. Ill go with a unrefined roush for $450. It's the idle that I mainly want. Kinda like a NASCAR idle but on a pass by with NORMAL driving, it sounds like a stout mustang. Not a v6 or a deep v8, just stout. Rambling sorry.
I agree that Roush has a sweet idle. Good luck with the search!
__________________
Otis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM   #35
Evolution's Finest
Supporter
 
ArtU's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 898
ArtU is unknown around these parts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
They are lighter then the stock mufflers.
The tips look great.
Completely made of stainless steel.
Great sound at start up.
Nice deep rumble at idle.
Come very much alive when flooring it through the gears.
Absolutely no drone at any RPM.

They may seem a little costly but you get what you pay for.

Hi Ronnie, I have looked at your MagnaFlows before and I like them. But I am also considering these Borlas at a greater cost. What would your thoughts be if my goal is good sound like you have but also consider any added aggression from these? I care more for added rubble sounds at and near idle, and sounds of throttle lift off on the RPM drop than I do at WOT; which is far and in-between. I'm not worried to much about the price.

Borla ATAK Mustang Axle-Back (2011-2013 V6)

I plan to put one or the other on my Horse once I get her out of the Winter Stable after spring equinox.

Art
__________________

__________________
ArtU is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off





» Like Us On Facebook


Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

RV & Travel Trailer Communities

Our RV & Travel Trailer sites encompasses virtually all types of Recreational Vehicles, from brand-specific to general RV communities.

» More about our RV Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


10:08 AM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.