Exhaust rattle - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Exhaust rattle

After I switched up my axle backs to Pypes, I started getting a rattle. Sounds like its in the very rear of my '12 mustang. I had to drop my sway bar bushings to get them in. I checked the tightness on them, made sure the cat back over axle piping wasn't touching anything, checked ball and socket fitting on axle backs... I'm at a loss. Only thing it could be is maybe that's caused by the sway bar bushings in the center being too tight? Anyone have any ideas?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-09-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
After I switched up my axle backs to Pypes, I started getting a rattle. Sounds like its in the very rear of my '12 mustang. I had to drop my sway bar bushings to get them in. I checked the tightness on them, made sure the cat back over axle piping wasn't touching anything, checked ball and socket fitting on axle backs... I'm at a loss. Only thing it could be is maybe that's caused by the sway bar bushings in the center being too tight? Anyone have any ideas?
I had that rattle and it was my Axlebacks actually my passenger side that would rattle around and vibrate so I got some extra hangers welded on and it fixes the issue
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

I had that rattle and it was my Axlebacks actually my passenger side that would rattle around and vibrate so I got some extra hangers welded on and it fixes the issue
^^

Also if the ball/socket connections are not even it can cause a rattle.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-09-2013, 01:40 AM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
That's what it sounds like for mine too. Only the passenger side. Where did you put the extra hangers. Mine only has the three for the hangers already on there? Any way to get a picture for a better idea? That rattle drives me insane.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadsp0t View Post

^^

Also if the ball/socket connections are not even it can cause a rattle.
Aren't ball socket connections designed for fitment with it being a little off because of the c clamp?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
That's what it sounds like for mine too. Only the passenger side. Where did you put the extra hangers. Mine only has the three for the hangers already on there? Any way to get a picture for a better idea? That rattle drives me insane.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------



Aren't ball socket connections designed for fitment with it being a little off because of the c clamp?
Just go to a good muffler shop and they will have the hangers and can weld them in for you. Ill take a picture tomorrow during the day but basically they welded the hangers to end of my mufflers to the car itself. Now they don't budge and I made them weld them to my specifications so it's exactly where I wanted it.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:46 AM   #6
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
That's what it sounds like for mine too. Only the passenger side. Where did you put the extra hangers. Mine only has the three for the hangers already on there? Any way to get a picture for a better idea? That rattle drives me insane.

---------- Post added at 08:40 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:38 AM ----------



Aren't ball socket connections designed for fitment with it being a little off because of the c clamp?
Right, tightened evenly is what I meant.
You may have to put it on jack stands or on a lift with it running to pin point the source. Locally the shop I use will put it on the rack for free then quote a price to fix.. Issue like that usually don't cost much at all to correct. if you did the install yourself there's no shame in having a shop button it up for you. good luck

---------- Post added at 02:46 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:45 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Just go to a good muffler shop and they will have the hangers and can weld them in for you. Ill take a picture tomorrow during the day but basically they welded the hangers to end of my mufflers to the car itself. Now they don't budge and I made them weld them to my specifications so it's exactly where I wanted it.
exactly what I had done to my tail pipes so the tips sat just so..
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Cool. Thanks for the help guys.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:11 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Cool. Thanks for the help guys.
Good luck, be sure to let us know what ya find out!
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:14 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Yup. I've gone through just about everything else. I think a muffler shop is about my last option. I'd still appreciate a picture to show the muffler mechanic. I live in Germany, and not being fluent in German yet, a picture truly is worth a thousand words.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Yup. I've gone through just about everything else. I think a muffler shop is about my last option. I'd still appreciate a picture to show the muffler mechanic. I live in Germany, and not being fluent in German yet, a picture truly is worth a thousand words.
Lmao! Just noticed your in Europe!!! I bet it is hahahahahaha
You in the military?
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:22 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Yup. I've gone through just about everything else. I think a muffler shop is about my last option. I'd still appreciate a picture to show the muffler mechanic. I live in Germany, and not being fluent in German yet, a picture truly is worth a thousand words.
Ill get you one tomorrow bro
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:35 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Yup. I'm in the Army. Good times. I appreciate it Charlie.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:38 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus
Regular
 
deadsp0t's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: MidWorld
Region: Other
Posts: 4,786
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Yup. I'm in the Army. Good times. I appreciate it Charlie.
Cool, Ty for your service.
__________________
That's unimpressive
deadsp0t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:43 AM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Yup. I'm in the Army. Good times. I appreciate it Charlie.
No prob and like he said thanks for your service man I hope to join the military after college so I may become an officer right away u know
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:45 AM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
You're welcome. It's been a long seven years but got to see a lot of the world. Plus it financed my pony. So I'm happy about it.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

No prob and like he said thanks for your service man I hope to join the military after college so I may become an officer right away u know
Good for you man. Officer is the way to go. I'm enlisted and it's a cold world for us...
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
You're welcome. It's been a long seven years but got to see a lot of the world. Plus it financed my pony. So I'm happy about it.
Gotta love the financial part of it right man lol my brother is a private contractor for the army and is in Kuwait making tax free money at $28/hr lol good **** man!

---------- Post added at 01:49 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:47 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
You're welcome. It's been a long seven years but got to see a lot of the world. Plus it financed my pony. So I'm happy about it.

---------- Post added at 09:45 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:44 AM ----------



Good for you man. Officer is the way to go. I'm enlisted and it's a cold world for us...
Yea I heard once I get my bachelors I can go directly to officer training after boot camp and become an officer. Is that true by any chance man?
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:49 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Yeah, I'm getting out after this contract and trying to get into contracting. Waaay more money.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:52 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Yeah, I'm getting out after this contract and trying to get into contracting. Waaay more money.
Yea man my brother is set over there. They put him in a all expenses paid hotel with a great view and gym and rooftop pool. All tax free and tri-month bonuses. At 6 months he gets an additional bonus and same goes for 12 month. It's a great career man.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:15 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
There's quite a few options to become an officer. Best bet is to talk to a recruiter. Every persons personal situation is different.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
So, I just went down to the local car center where you can use lifts and tools for super cheap to work on your car. Turns out I never noticed that one of the rear hangars was touching the metal mount on the vehicle. I loosened the mid pipe and slid it back about 1/8 inch. Drove home and didn't hear the noise once. Hopefully that worked. I'd still like those pictures as I might just reinforce it anyway.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 05:14 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
So, I just went down to the local car center where you can use lifts and tools for super cheap to work on your car. Turns out I never noticed that one of the rear hangars was touching the metal mount on the vehicle. I loosened the mid pipe and slid it back about 1/8 inch. Drove home and didn't hear the noise once. Hopefully that worked. I'd still like those pictures as I might just reinforce it anyway.
Here are the pics man! The end brackets are what make my mufflers stay completely still and don't vibrate or anything at all
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2380841072.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	413.7 KB
ID:	84912   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-253148195.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	429.1 KB
ID:	84913  

Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Cool bro. I really appreciate the help. It was getting to the point I didn't even want to drive the rattle was annoying me so bad. Thanks again.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Cool bro. I really appreciate the help. It was getting to the point I didn't even want to drive the rattle was annoying me so bad. Thanks again.
No problem man! I would've never thought of this either if it wasnt for my friend telling me to do it. We live and learn bro.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Tags
exhaust

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



10:39 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.