Driving in snow - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Pennsylvania
Driving in snow

Hey guys, just had my first experience in the snow with my mustang! All my previous cars were 4x4 or AWD. Overall it wasn't bad in light snow, got stuck in the driveway. The P-zeros seem OK. Does anyone have the conti dws tires? Or just bite the bullet and buy dedicated snows? This is my DD so a second winter car is not an option.

Feel free to share snow driving stories!
Pony_Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 01:13 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Kentucky
If it's your only car, get some dedicated Blizzaks. They should last you 4 years of just running the snow season, then you can retire them. If you can get some factory 17" rims cheap, the tires are only a $500 investment, which works out to $125/year. Very small price for knowing you can control your car and probably cheaper than your insurance deductible.

'98 Grand Prix GTP - New Project for DD
Sanguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 01:16 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Missouri
I bought stock rims and put snow tires on didn't want salt eating my very expensive rims and wide low profile tires aren't any good on snow being rear wheel drive I put a couple hundred pounds of sandbags in trunk to get weight over the rear tires ( I'm originally from up in freeze land and old enough that in my day except for 4wd trucks there were only rear wheel drive cars plenty experience driving in snow and this way seems to be the best way to get around in snow, but getting stuck is always a possibility no matter what u do )
pamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-13-2013, 01:25 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular

I'm looking for cheap stock 17s, sounds like its worth the investment. I will put about 8kmi on them each year, so two seasons max?
Old 01-13-2013, 01:45 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
I bought my car in md on jan 2 2012. On my trip back to MI, on jan 3rd, I almost slid the car sideways into a toll booth. I have no idea how I got her to straighten out literally at the last possible second. I think I would have smashed it if I slid another foot before straightening out. I have the pp so I have the pirelli summer only tires. There was maybe an inch of snow tops.... Jan 4th, I went to discount tire and bought dedicated snow rims and tires. They didn't have blizzaks in stock so I bought what they had, cooper tires brand. The difference was like night and day. This past December 26th I drove from MI to CT through snowstorm Euclid. I had no problems, the coopers gave me plenty of traction and there where times I was plowing through a good 5 or 6 inches of snow. I highly recommend getting some dedicated snow rims and tires. I got mine all for about 1250. When the coopers have a few more seasons on them, I will upgrade them to blizzaks since they are supposed to be even better.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Btw pony boy, where did you get that lower grille? Do you know if it will fit the 2012?
NickAP12589 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:03 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Canada
Definitely get dedicated snow tires. I've driven in canadian winters with my mustangs for 9 years now and it's the only way to go. I highly recommend Cooper weather masted st2 tires.
Old 01-13-2013, 02:54 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickAP12589 View Post
I bought my car in md on jan 2 2012. On my trip back to MI, on jan 3rd, I almost slid the car sideways into a toll booth. I have no idea how I got her to straighten out literally at the last possible second. I think I would have smashed it if I slid another foot before straightening out. I have the pp so I have the pirelli summer only tires. There was maybe an inch of snow tops.... Jan 4th, I went to discount tire and bought dedicated snow rims and tires. They didn't have blizzaks in stock so I bought what they had, cooper tires brand. The difference was like night and day. This past December 26th I drove from MI to CT through snowstorm Euclid. I had no problems, the coopers gave me plenty of traction and there where times I was plowing through a good 5 or 6 inches of snow. I highly recommend getting some dedicated snow rims and tires. I got mine all for about 1250. When the coopers have a few more seasons on them, I will upgrade them to blizzaks since they are supposed to be even better.

---------- Post added at 03:45 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:44 PM ----------

Btw pony boy, where did you get that lower grille? Do you know if it will fit the 2012?
Wow! Glad to hear your car is safe! Is discount tire a store or online? I was looking at tire rack since most of the winter stock is on sale now.

The grill is factory, part of the MCA package. I don't think it will fit a 12 directly, I think AM sells a kit for them. Actually, your case is why I skipped the PP, plus 19 tires are $$$.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Montana
I have the Conti DWS and love them. Their weak point in snow is take off, but straight rolling and turning are very good. I know dedicated snow tires are better but it helps that I got all 4 on wheels with under 300 miles for under 300 bucks.
That being said, I will probably buy them again for Montana winters.
It probably helps that my car is auto.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:03 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

Region: New York
i have continental extremes on my stang and i have driven in light snow nothing to heavy and havent gotten stuck just except going up the driveway as you said but by then your car is safe anyways..im kind of having the same problem because i want to get SVE black drift wheels and i am afraid to leave them on for the winter so i would swap back to my stock rims but i have no idea how much shops charge to swap wheels like that and if its worth it

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
mustang17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Florida
Discount tire is a store. They also do business online. You can buy wheels there for relatively cheap and tires are a fair price. Best bet for wheels is a junk yard, go find a trashed stang or some used steel's that will fit. No worries about rust or anything that way and there cheap to replace if you get into a curb or something like that.
Old 01-13-2013, 04:18 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Shops won't charge much too unit your old wheels back on. If you had them on the car previously you can mark where each wheel was previously mounted you can put them back on yourself and they should still be balanced
Old 01-13-2013, 04:20 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post
Shops won't charge much too unit your old wheels back on. If you had them on the car previously you can mark where each wheel was previously mounted you can put them back on yourself and they should still be balanced
id rather just have a shop do it do you know what they charge? in your experience do you think it is necessary to swap the wheels in the winter to make sure the new ones dont get damaged

2003 GT
HIDs, 20% tint, Mach 1 chin spoiler, Black bullitt wheels, White bumper inserts, Shorty antenna
Old 01-13-2013, 06:58 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Well, if you consider that it will cost at least $400 to have your wheels re-painted on anodized when the finish gets ruined... Yea, I would say its worth the investment.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:59 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

do you know how much it is to swap wheels but keep tires

2003 GT
Old 01-13-2013, 09:08 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

depends on the shop. Call any tire shop and ask what they charge.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:09 AM   #16

Region: Michigan
We are having a pretty light winter so far here in the Detroit area. my 2012 V6 couldn't make it up a not so steep incline the night of the first real snow fall. My stock tires weren't up to the task. I was ready to make the investment in dedicated snow tires but it hasn't snowed much since.

Just yesterday I bought new 19in. wheels and tires from American Muscle (YAY!).
I expect delivery by the end of the week. I am tempted to put them on as soon as I get them but a little bird is telling me to wait until the winter is fully done. So my problem is: 'do I go ahead and dump the stock 17in. tires currently on my car for dedicated snow tires in case of another big snowfall or not?' I just laid out nearly 18 hundred for my new AM wheels/tires so there ain't much scratch left for snow tires. And as much as I am excited to have the new set on I don't want to get them wrecked in the salt and snow.

I'm hoping it won't snow much again this winter! That would be a big help! Good luck with that in Michigan though!
Red Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:23 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

if i was you i would wait so you dont damage the wheels it would be unfortunate to spend all that money if you damaged them

2003 GT
Old 01-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #18

Yup. Thanks Mustang17. I think I just needed to hear it from someone else! I'm gonna have to be strong and not even unpack them when they arrive! Well...just ONE!

Now if i can just avoid swapping out my OEM tires for winter treads I'm in good shape.
Old 01-15-2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Europe
I live in Germany and have not had a problem driving in snow with stock tires...
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

im in the same boat i am going to be swapping back to stock rims when winter comes because i dont want to damage my rims since i will be paying 600 for them you know what i mean

2003 GT
Old 01-15-2013, 11:31 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang17 View Post
im in the same boat i am going to be swapping back to stock rims when winter comes because i dont want to damage my rims since i will be paying 600 for them you know what i mean
Clean them. Wash them and then plasti dip them. 4 coats and that will protect them through winter. Guaranteed
monkey13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:29 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkey13 View Post
Clean them. Wash them and then plasti dip them. 4 coats and that will protect them through winter. Guaranteed
That's actually not a bad idea. Plasti dip creates a solid surface over your rims so it would protect them. Then in the summer you can just peel the plasti dip off. Personally, I would still wait for summer, plasti dip won't save you if you loose the back end into a curb or something like that on ice. You could consider selling your used tires off the stock rims and put that $ towards snow tires. That would at least lighten the blow to your wallet.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 07:32 AM   #23
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeltx View Post

That's actually not a bad idea. Plasti dip creates a solid surface over your rims so it would protect them. Then in the summer you can just peel the plasti dip off. Personally, I would still wait for summer, plasti dip won't save you if you loose the back end into a curb or something like that on ice. You could consider selling your used tires off the stock rims and put that $ towards snow tires. That would at least lighten the blow to your wallet.
id rather not plastidip it would just be another expense that i dont think would be worth it like you said hit into a curb or something. I am going to just use my tires all year around and swap just the wheels between winter and summer and keep the same tires. they are great tires with alot of life on them so i am going to go that route.

2003 GT
Old 01-16-2013, 08:19 AM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

id rather not plastidip it would just be another expense that i dont think would be worth it like you said hit into a curb or something. I am going to just use my tires all year around and swap just the wheels between winter and summer and keep the same tires. they are great tires with alot of life on them so i am going to go that route.
Well i meant swap tires too lol.. You were.concerned with ruining them so i recommend plastic dip to protect against salts but winter tires are a must mustang
Old 01-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #25
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well i meant swap tires too lol.. You were.concerned with ruining them so i recommend plastic dip to protect against salts but winter tires are a must mustang
i almost never drive in snow but i do hear ya i think so to. i have all seasons and i never drive in snow anyway so i dont really hve to worry but question...i have 17 inch continentals with 17 inch stock rims if i got 17 inch saleens or other wheels i decide to go with when winter/summer comes around i could just keep those same continentals and just swap wheel but keep those tires right?

2003 GT
Old 01-16-2013, 09:04 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i almost never drive in snow but i do hear ya i think so to. i have all seasons and i never drive in snow anyway so i dont really hve to worry but question...i have 17 inch continentals with 17 inch stock rims if i got 17 inch saleens or other wheels i decide to go with when winter/summer comes around i could just keep those same continentals and just swap wheel but keep those tires right?
In most cases yes .. But..... Depending on how wide your new wheel is you might not. Check first but chances are if you stay within 8-9.5 inches width you should be ok
Old 01-16-2013, 09:06 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

In most cases yes .. But..... Depending on how wide your new wheel is you might not. Check first but chances are if you stay within 8-9.5 inches width you should be ok
i know this sounds dumb but how would i be able to check?

2003 GT
Old 01-16-2013, 09:10 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

i know this sounds dumb but how would i be able to check?
Lol its dumb not to ask. Just check the specs on the wheels your buying and given they don't exceed the 9.5 then any tire size from 235-255 should fit 17" ofcourse
Old 01-16-2013, 09:33 AM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol its dumb not to ask. Just check the specs on the wheels your buying and given they don't exceed the 9.5 then any tire size from 235-255 should fit 17" ofcourse
ok thanks alot!

2003 GT
Old 01-21-2013, 08:24 AM   #30

UPDATE:

So I got my 19" AMR wheel/tire package in from american muscle. Damn! they looked sweet just sitting in the box! I tried to resist but i couldn't. the first chance I got i swapped out my old 17" OEM set-up. WOW! The look is a BILLION times better! So here I am hoping I can avoid another serious snowfall (in southeastern Michigan! Yeah, right!). I did some reading up and it turns out the General G-Max tires on my new set-up are actually pretty good in light to moderate snow! In fact I drove into work this morning with snow coming down pretty hard and there was barely a wobble. I'm sure my old tires would have given me trouble.

To be fair the snow wasn't terribly heavy or wet. The pavement under the snow wasn't slick so things were in my favor. But still the G-Max tires made a difference so Im happy I did swap out. If it turns out I can make it through this winter I'll be happy but I will also pop on some serious winter rubber on my old 17" wheels later this year. No need to put my new AMR wheels through another full winter if I can avoid it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang