Lt Headers and piping for our V6's - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang



Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-14-2013, 07:41 PM   #1
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
My fellow V6 stangers. This spring hopefully I will have enough funds to to get some much needed upgrades. Besides upgrading the gears I am longing for Long Tube headers. I want to really maximize the throttle response, sound of the car, increase HP and torque. As we all want that.

I am leaning towards getting BBK LT headers with an BBK off road x pipe for my 2011. Based on where I live, yearly emissions testing is not an issue and don't have any. Being that our vehicles are V6 any members here have this set up on there 2011 plus V6. Some people here on the site feel the off road x pipe is way too loud and obnoxious . From what I have been told the catted high flowing X pipe is just as loud as the off road x pipe.

I would imagine a lt headers set with x pipe on a 5.0 is going to sound very different than being on our V6's.

Which set up do you guys and girls have and like best for our 11 plus v6's when it comes to installing long tube headers? Is there a lot of cabin noise when cruising on the highway from the after market x pipe? I want a set up that is going to be loud, turn some heads, sound aggressive but not totally obnoxious and ear piercing. Also, I have Flowmaster axle back force II exhaust on mine.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
My fellow V6 stangers. This spring hopefully I will have enough funds to to get some much needed upgrades. Besides upgrading the gears I am longing for Long Tube headers. I want to really maximize the throttle response, sound of the car, increase HP and torque. As we all want that.

I am leaning towards getting BBK LT headers with an BBK off road x pipe for my 2011. Based on where I live, yearly emissions testing is not an issue and don't have any. Being that our vehicles are V6 any members here have this set up on there 2011 plus V6. Some people here on the site feel the off road x pipe is way too loud and obnoxious . From what I have been told the catted high flowing X pipe is just as loud as the off road x pipe.

I would imagine a lt headers set with x pipe on a 5.0 is going to sound very different than being on our V6's.

Which set up do you guys and girls have and like best for our 11 plus v6's when it comes to installing long tube headers? Is there a lot of cabin noise when cruising on the highway from the after market x pipe? I want a set up that is going to be loud, turn some heads, sound aggressive but not totally obnoxious and ear piercing. Also, I have Flowmaster axle back force II exhaust on mine.
Get rid of the flows they sound like Tin cans when put with LT. I would personally go with Bassani or Borla Touring bro!
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #3
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Get rid of the flows they sound like Tin cans when put with LT. I would personally go with Bassani or Borla Touring bro!
The flows sound nice now but I don't have the headers yet. Ill look into your recommended choice of exhaust. Sounds bro.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-14-2013, 09:22 PM   #4
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

The flows sound nice now but I don't have the headers yet. Ill look into your recommended choice of exhaust. Sounds bro.
I have Roush ones but I installed resonators

Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:17 PM   #5
Registered Member
Regular
 
acornsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 536
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Get rid of the flows they sound like Tin cans when put with LT. I would personally go with Bassani or Borla Touring bro!
I have a 2013 5.0 and went by the local shop today for a Header/X-Pipe quote. was thinking about going with borla but the guy said they are cheaply made. from what he said the material they use for the headers are cheap and will crack. he said they will glow but I dunno what that's gunna do? just a little input
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:22 PM   #6
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Quote:
Originally Posted by acornsmoke View Post

I have a 2013 5.0 and went by the local shop today for a Header/X-Pipe quote. was thinking about going with borla but the guy said they are cheaply made. from what he said the material they use for the headers are cheap and will crack. he said they will glow but I dunno what that's gunna do? just a little input
Thanks bro. I appreciate everyone's input. I know a lot of it is peoples opinions and ones perception of what sounds good and what they like. Its looks like one is getting some respectable power gains in torque and HP by installing the headers and x pipe.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #7
Registered Member
Regular
 
acornsmoke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Boca Raton
Region: Florida
Posts: 536
borla are great for Axle back exhaust. I have the borla stype and wouldn't get any other pair. check out Kooks or Pypes
acornsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
I know I'm real happy with my axle back Flowmaster exhaust, however I have never head them in person combined with headers and off road pipe. I have heard on you tube but I think stuff sounds different live and in person.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:05 AM   #9
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
I know I'm real happy with my axle back Flowmaster exhaust, however I have never head them in person combined with headers and off road pipe. I have heard on you tube but I think stuff sounds different live and in person.
I have and in all honesty it sounds like a marble in a time can. It pops alot
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 10:26 AM   #10
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Will there be any drone with a catted x pipe? It's ceaper to go with an off road. But idk. I'm in the same boat as OP.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Registered Member
Regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Massachusetts
Posts: 188
See idk im going for the same mods as Kona. Ive heard it sounds great with the magnaflow a/b. Im running the mag street a/b as well. Ive heard it sounds great and charlie oposite. So guess the only way to know is to find out and put it on.
tthompson79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #12
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Just YouTube it. I have BBK LT and off road x pipe with Pypes axle back. Basically any LT is going to be ridiculously loud. I love my set up.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Just YouTube it. I have BBK LT and off road x pipe with Pypes axle back. Basically any LT is going to be ridiculously loud. I love my set up.
Actually idk which exactly Magnaflow my friend has but it's not loud at all with LT headers and off road xpipe. But I don't really like the sound
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
I've only heard the comp series Magnaflow, but its too ricey for me. Not a fan of tuner oriented exhaust on a muscle car. I'm also not a fan of Flowmaster. Kind of fart cannons. Borla, Pypes, Roush, Kooks... All good brands. Stick with the bigger names and not so cheap and you'll be fine. Not trying to be rude, just my opinion. Just don't like tuner products on Pony's or over the top products like Flowmaster. Like I said, I have LT and x pipe, BBK both and stock over the axle tubes and Pypes axle back. Thing sounds mean. I love it.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:42 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I've only heard the comp series Magnaflow, but its too ricey for me. Not a fan of tuner oriented exhaust on a muscle car. I'm also not a fan of Flowmaster. Kind of fart cannons. Borla, Pypes, Roush, Kooks... All good brands. Stick with the bigger names and not so cheap and you'll be fine. Not trying to be rude, just my opinion. Just don't like tuner products on Pony's or over the top products like Flowmaster. Like I said, I have LT and x pipe, BBK both and stock over the axle tubes and Pypes axle back. Thing sounds mean. I love it.
Can u make a video ? I've seen a silver mustang that has that setup and I want it lol I wanna hear it better tho cuz the video I saw did not do a good job lol
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:47 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
Same problem. I made some videos with my iPhone... And they SUCK! I hate my phone and don't have a camcorder. The Pypes pop and choke very nicely and the iPhone doesn't do it ANY justice. Pretty pissed because I wish I could put my Pony on YouTube.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:52 PM   #17
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
Same problem. I made some videos with my iPhone... And they SUCK! I hate my phone and don't have a camcorder. The Pypes pop and choke very nicely and the iPhone doesn't do it ANY justice. Pretty pissed because I wish I could put my Pony on YouTube.
Do it from a distance and the phone should pick up the audio fine. My videos are done with my iphone 5
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 02:55 PM   #18
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
I tried it all. Close, distance, drive by's, pulls. They all sounds like garbage. Nothing like they do in person. It just sounds muffled and over the top on the mic.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:25 PM   #19
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I tried it all. Close, distance, drive by's, pulls. They all sounds like garbage. Nothing like they do in person. It just sounds muffled and over the top on the mic.
Really? Mine sounds pretty good lol just upload a distance one I'm sure it's much better then what u make it out to be :p
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 03:31 PM   #20
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
You got LT's right bro? You're telling me your video on your iPhone sound even close to what it sounds like? I'm calling BS, man. All due respect, but I've heard your s

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Setup. You got BBK and Roush? You got a video bro?
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 04:10 PM   #21
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
You got LT's right bro? You're telling me your video on your iPhone sound even close to what it sounds like? I'm calling BS, man. All due respect, but I've heard your s

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Setup. You got BBK and Roush? You got a video bro?
Of course it's not gna sound just as good as in person but u said it sounded terrible and it sounds pretty good in video watch my videos if u don't believe me but of course it's not nearly the same.
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 05:50 PM   #22
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I've only heard the comp series Magnaflow, but its too ricey for me. Not a fan of tuner oriented exhaust on a muscle car. I'm also not a fan of Flowmaster. Kind of fart cannons. Borla, Pypes, Roush, Kooks... All good brands. Stick with the bigger names and not so cheap and you'll be fine. Not trying to be rude, just my opinion. Just don't like tuner products on Pony's or over the top products like Flowmaster. Like I said, I have LT and x pipe, BBK both and stock over the axle tubes and Pypes axle back. Thing sounds mean. I love it.
You realize that its a Mazda block with wacky ford engineering? Even with no cats and back piping, you would think loud and throaty. More like a NASCAR rasp. I like in its own way

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
You got LT's right bro? You're telling me your video on your iPhone sound even close to what it sounds like? I'm calling BS, man. All due respect, but I've heard your s

---------- Post added at 10:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:28 PM ----------

Setup. You got BBK and Roush? You got a video bro?
Are you running an iPhone 5 or 4s
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 06:11 PM   #23
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitelightning View Post

You realize that its a Mazda block with wacky ford engineering? Even with no cats and back piping, you would think loud and throaty. More like a NASCAR rasp. I like in its own way

---------- Post added at 05:50 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:48 PM ----------



Are you running an iPhone 5 or 4s
Iphone 5
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:08 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular
 
2011 Kona Blue's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Region: Maryland
Posts: 7,653
Its not that videos of the cars are not good but it just doesn't give a complete reality of what the car sounds like inside and out. I think the Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system sounds different when I'm in the car or starting it up compared to the you tube videos I watched and listened too. I think the Flowmasters have a great growl and sounds awesome when open throttle with the pony.

I guess worse case I buy the headers and x pipe and install to my already Flowmasters. If the sound is not appealing to me then sell the exhaust system to someone who has 2011 plus and I then buy another exhaust system that I do like with the headers and x pipe. Either way I got to get headers and x pipe to really maximize the full potential and power of hidden HP and torque that is lost and bogged down from all the emission restrictions. I only paid $400.00 for my axle back Flowmaster exhaust system new. Its about 1.5 years old.
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 07:28 PM   #25
Registered Member
Regular
 
Whitelightning's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Tuscaloosa
Region: Alabama
Posts: 3,463
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Iphone 5
Meant puma since he said his wasn't picking up good. I have a 4s and its not as good as the 5.
__________________
Any Speed over 55 mph may kill you... that's why i drive 60
Whitelightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:32 AM   #26
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
I have a 5, but I think the ones in Europe are defective. I've already sent it in for repairs twice. And now I can't make calls... But the recording voice thing works and it plays music th
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:25 AM   #27
Registered Member
Regular
 
Charlie_santos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Region: Texas
Posts: 3,824
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Puma View Post
I have a 5, but I think the ones in Europe are defective. I've already sent it in for repairs twice. And now I can't make calls... But the recording voice thing works and it plays music th
Wtf ur apple store is wack man lol request for a US version
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 05:48 AM   #28
Registered Member
Regular
 
The Puma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Grafenwoehr
Region: Europe
Posts: 569
They hardly even have apple stores here. Most are owned by a third party. It's weird here man.
The Puma is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


» Like Us On Facebook



02:13 PM


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0

MustangEvolution.com is in no way associated with or endorsed by Ford Motor Company.