Mustang Evolution Forum banner

3.73 GEARS

3K views 45 replies 23 participants last post by  ak_stang 
#1 ·
Alright guys and gals is it really woth the $ to put 3.73 gears in my 12 v6 6spd?

#6 ·
My answer is, Most Definitely Yes!

Although, my pony is a 2007 and not a 2012, l absolutely love the difference! I had 3.31 in originally and because either my Carrier and Pinion bearing was going out, l had to purchased a Motive Installation bearing kit and then upgraded to 3.73 gears. I just had them installed this past Friday! I couldn't be any happier. My car was sluggish when accelerating. NOT ANY MORE. It's quicker off the line. I used to say, "Let's Go!" Now I Say, "Let's Went!".

I can tell you that l now am using my 5th gear on the freeway a lot more.

#10 ·
Yes they are!!! We can buy the parts from the US,but by the time we pay duty and shipping on them we are paying 30% more.I'm in Ontario and factor in another 15% combined Fed and Provincial tax.I wouldn't even think about my Ford dealer, labour work is way to costly.

#16 ·
$500 plus tax at Steeda. thats gears, install kit, new bearings and labor.... installed and everything. Plus you can rest easy knowing your baby is being taken care of by some of the best. If your in FL thats the best price installed that I was able to find.

#24 ·

Say What????

Is this for all mustangs? Or just Auto Trans or just Manual trans?

Because, I was told all I had to do after the install, was to plug in
my Sfx3 Tuner... Dang I knew if I didn't write it down I forget! But it was something, well forget that part, but the last thing, I was to scroll down until I saw rear Axle and then something about input, oh! I remember I was to click on Axle Ratio and then in put 3.73 and press accept or enter.

Perhap I should contact Bama again

#29 ·
Jba speedshop in San Diego installed my 3.73. I ended up dropping $775 otd. That included everything (Gear, bearing, fluid, labor, speedometer calibration). They've replaced many 2.73 gears... that is why I got their business. No issues and enjoying the way the car gets off the line now.

#37 · (Edited)
It increases your acceleration in lower gears, so if youre going up in gear ratio, youll have to shift sooner because youll be in higher RPMs faster, but your top speed is reduced and youll feel that a little in your top gear, at least until you max out your torque/hp and then it really becomes a theoretical top speed. Basically youll have to shift kinda fast in lower gears but youll have quicker acceleration.

#42 ·
V6 w/some upgrades

1st to 2nd: 0-27mph (slight fear of blowing my motor) l'm a girl

2nd to 3rd: 27-45mph

3rd to 4th: 60ish

4th to 5th: l rarely used 5th unless l could drive min. 75 or more, so l drove in 4th 90% of the time.

Now I have to shift a lot sooner! I have some things l have to do today. l'll give update at my maxed out speed with my 3.73 gears. Hope l don't blow it!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.