BBK Throttle Body - Mustang Evolution

Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them here!
Old 01-16-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Maryland
BBK Throttle Body

Can any owners of 11 plus V6 models of installing the BBK throttle body tell me if this mod was worth it. I am currently running a 91 Hybrid tune along with a Airraid CAI. The tune is bad a$$ killer and the throttle response is much better than stock. I do notice there is still a slight delay in acceleration when flooring the pedal. Slight delay before thrusting me back. Has anyone noticed since installing the BBK throttle body there acceleration delay is no more. When hitting the pedal the car immediately responds.

If not, any thoughts on how to get instant throttle response?
2011 Kona Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 01:08 AM   #2
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post
Can any owners of 11 plus V6 models of installing the BBK throttle body tell me if this mod was worth it. I am currently running a 91 Hybrid tune along with a Airraid CAI. The tune is bad a$$ killer and the throttle response is much better than stock. I do notice there is still a slight delay in acceleration when flooring the pedal. Slight delay before thrusting me back. Has anyone noticed since installing the BBK throttle body there acceleration delay is no more. When hitting the pedal the car immediately responds.

I would personally not advise purchasing the TB until you get full length headers and xpipe bro. That will waken up ur car trust me I have headers. Then that TB will work better
Charlie_santos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 03:51 AM   #3
Registered Member
Regular

Region: California
Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft ... It's my next mod.
Marc3.71994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-16-2013, 04:53 AM   #4
Admin

Supporter
Admin

Region: Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc3.71994 View Post
Aluminum 1 piece driveshaft ... It's my next mod.
What's this got to do with the OP's question???
Old 01-16-2013, 05:27 AM   #5
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucko View Post
What's this got to do with the OP's question???
Hahahaha right!! Last I checked the OP asked if it was worth it to buy the TB and this guy pops in and says what he wants to buy LOL
Old 01-16-2013, 05:55 AM   #6
Registered Member
Regular

if you have full exhaust and intake it will i put mine on as the last thing after drive shaft
koni STR.T RTR wheels NT555/ Shelby Baer 6P
DSS Aluminum 3.5/3.73 gears
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1cm4Di-zmZA
Schram1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 06:14 AM   #7
Registered Member
Regular

From what I have read on numerous mustang forums is that a TB is a waste money. I would spend your cash on something else.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:46 AM   #8
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang View Post
From what I have read on numerous mustang forums is that a TB is a waste money. I would spend your cash on something else.
Like headers for instance lol
Old 01-16-2013, 04:01 PM   #9
Registered Member
Regular

The delay your feeling is the standard throttle response delay. Its there so you don't slip your rear wheels by accidentally punching on the gas real quick. It is made as more of a safety than anything.... i bet bama can adjust it in your tune but you will want to be careful, especially when it is wet out. you also have to remember that there is going to be a slight delay caused by the time it takes that surge of air you need for WOT to get from your intake, down the tube, into the TB and intake manifold. it may sound bogus but air flow is not constant or instant, there is almost always going to be a slight delay. A good example is while your in neutral smash the gas to the floor real quick and then let off. You will hear the "pop" of the TB opening all the way but you wont rev all the way up to the limiter because the TB closed somewhat before that surge of air got the the engine. A short ram intake will help and the larger TB will also but if your shooting for instant max power your going to look at other options... like NO2... and that still wont give you instant max power.
rebeltx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2013, 04:22 PM   #10
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos View Post

Hahahaha right!! Last I checked the OP asked if it was worth it to buy the TB and this guy pops in and says what he wants to buy LOL
He says "If not any thoughts on how to get instant throttle response" the aluminum one piece does so, right?
Old 01-16-2013, 04:24 PM   #11
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

He says "If not any thoughts on how to get instant throttle response" the aluminum one piece does so, right?
Nope not really haha it's just lighter and stronger it won't help with throttle response lag. That has to do with his whole intake system. He needs a intake, headers xpipe, tune and then I would invest in a TB
Old 01-16-2013, 04:29 PM   #12
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Nope not really haha it's just lighter and stronger it won't help with throttle response lag. That has to do with his whole intake system. He needs a intake, headers xpipe, tune and then I would invest in a TB
On the AM website it says in the details for the driveshaft more responsive engine and quicker acceleration. The reviews on it say the same thing
Old 01-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #13
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

On the AM website it says in the details for the driveshaft more responsive engine and quicker acceleration. The reviews on it say the same thing
Lol a driveshaft won't help nearly as much as a CAI, Full Exhaust, and Tune bro. ANYONE will agree with me
Old 01-16-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Lol a driveshaft won't help nearly as much as a CAI, Full Exhaust, and Tune bro. ANYONE will agree with me
Well u said it wouldn't help at all, it does, letting him know what he can do to increase response. And he can go past 130 mph if he wants.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #15
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

Well u said it wouldn't help at all, it does, letting him know what he can do to increase response. And he can go past 130 mph if he wants.
It's not really gna help that much in all honesty tho. You will see minimal gains from that besides being able to go faster
Old 01-16-2013, 05:24 PM   #16
Registered Member
Regular

Well since you got a tune and cai. I would recommend getting headers, xpipe, axle backs then it would worth getting the TB.
formulaDstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 12:41 AM   #17
Registered Member
Regular

A new driveshaft is definitely on the to do list of mods but that is on my low priority list right now. Perhaps the delay is the automatic transmission down shifting. Perhaps with some 3:55 gears that will also help with the delay. Headers, X pipe and gears are my top mod upgrades.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:17 AM   #18
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

It's not really gna help that much in all honesty tho. You will see minimal gains from that besides being able to go faster
You are wrong. A aluminum/carbon driveshaft does help quite a bit with throttle response/acceleration. The aluminum/carbon driveshaft weighs quite a bit less then the stock driveshaft so you are decreasing the rotational mass of your driveshaft that your motor and trans have to turn, hence quicker acceleration. There are no "gains", just like gears, but that doesn't mean it's not a good modification for performance. You would be very happy with a new driveshaft, feels like a new car.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:50 AM   #19
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

You are wrong. A aluminum/carbon driveshaft does help quite a bit with throttle response/acceleration. The aluminum/carbon driveshaft weighs quite a bit less then the stock driveshaft so you are decreasing the rotational mass of your driveshaft that your motor and trans have to turn, hence quicker acceleration. There are no "gains", just like gears, but that doesn't mean it's not a good modification for performance. You would be very happy with a new driveshaft, feels like a new car.
That's why everyone invests in 1K headers and Xpipe than $700 new driveshafts. Okay ill keep that in mind.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:17 AM   #20
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie_santos

That's why everyone invests in 1K headers and Xpipe than $700 new driveshafts. Okay ill keep that in mind.
What?

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackedStang

What?
Everyone has different preferences...I would rather have a new driveshaft then headers all day and tomorrow. Some people just are not as informed as others...All I was saying is what you posted was incorrect and you shouldn't be spreading false information.
Old 01-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #21
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:

What?

---------- Post added at 09:17 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:16 AM ----------

Everyone has different preferences...I would rather have a new driveshaft then headers all day and tomorrow. Some people just are not as informed as others...All I was saying is what you posted was incorrect and you shouldn't be spreading false information.
I'm not. A drive shaft will not make your car feel like a totally different machine like you stated. You will feel just as good of a kick as if you tuned a new car. It will wake it up a bit but without other supporting mods that one drive shaft will not by itself make your car feel like a new car. My friend is about to invest in one since he has nothing else to buy except a pro charger and I will personally test your theory of it being a completely new car. If it does I will admit it and apologize if it doesn't Ill simply say I told you so :p
Old 01-17-2013, 11:41 AM   #22
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue

You should only install a throttle body if you already have headers! And the throttle body will make your engine sound more smooth.
ViperTran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 01:44 PM   #23
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

Throttle body is the last thing you want to do.

If you are serious and have a lot of $$$$$ to spend you need to start with the headers all the way back to the mufflers. Get the High performance cats and an X-pipe. A good Cold Air Intake is a must have. The drive shaft is mandatory because you just ain't gonna go to far with a broken driveshaft. It is also much,much lighter then the stock 43 pound two piece crap that Ford put on these cars. After you get all of that put on you need to get a good tuner. If you get one from American Muscle they would want a list of everything you have done to get you tuned properly. Unless you are going to put in larger injecters I would think the stock throttle body will work fine for the street. (My Opinion) It will flow more air then your engine needs anyway with the stock injecters.

As far as a throttle delay I can't help you. I know my V6 automatic has no throttle delay at all. All I have is Magnaflow streets and a Drop in K&N air filter. It is very responsive and goes like hell when I punch it.

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2013, 11:51 PM   #24
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronnie948 View Post
If you are serious and have a lot of $$$$$ to spend you need to start with the headers all the way back to the mufflers. Get the High performance cats and an X-pipe. A good Cold Air Intake is a must have. The drive shaft is mandatory because you just ain't gonna go to far with a broken driveshaft. It is also much,much lighter then the stock 43 pound two piece crap that Ford put on these cars. After you get all of that put on you need to get a good tuner. If you get one from American Muscle they would want a list of everything you have done to get you tuned properly. Unless you are going to put in larger injecters I would think the stock throttle body will work fine for the street. (My Opinion) It will flow more air then your engine needs anyway with the stock injecters.

As far as a throttle delay I can't help you. I know my V6 automatic has no throttle delay at all. All I have is Magnaflow streets and a Drop in K&N air filter. It is very responsive and goes like hell when I punch it.

Ronnie
If I had lots of money I wouldn't be driving a V6. Lmao. I would be driving a Gt500 but still, I do love my sixer. I really appreciate all the advice on here. Great place to learn about our cars. Hopefully, in the not to distant future I can upgrade to a shaft master driveshaft. Not that I plan on driving 140 plus on a regular basis but would like to be able to have the confidence and option of doing so without taking any chances of the stock one exploding through the floor board.

I already have the Flowmaster Axle back Force II exhaust system. I have a Airraid cold air intake. I'm currently running a 91 Hybrid tune. My major priorities of upgrades for spring are to get rid of the gas saving 2.73 gears purchase BBK Headers and X pipe.
Old 01-18-2013, 07:35 AM   #25
Evolution's Finest
Supporter

How bad is your throttle lag???

Going to a lower ratio gear set will be a great way to get the acceleration your looking for. The headers are good if you also go to high flow performance cat's. I think you will have one super quick V6 3.7 when you are done. Along with the less expensive V6 insurance.

I was wondering about your lag when you step on it though. Is your car an Automatic or Manual????

Ronnie
ronnie948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 04:47 PM   #26
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Going to a lower ratio gear set will be a great way to get the acceleration your looking for. The headers are good if you also go to high flow performance cat's. I think you will have one super quick V6 3.7 when you are done. Along with the less expensive V6 insurance.

I was wondering about your lag when you step on it though. Is your car an Automatic or Manual????

Ronnie
Thanks bro. I hope it it really throws me back. I have a feeling the lag is what some people on here were saying. Its the gears downshifting which I guess takes a tenth or so. Its not really a big lag just a slight before it explodes. I have auto sir
Old 01-22-2013, 11:06 AM   #27
Site Sponsor
Sponsor

Region: Pennsylvania
Quote:

Ronnie
OP,

ronnie948 is correct, gears will really help produce the acceleration you're looking for. Also, I wanted to mention that the Bama Team can increase your throttle response, too. It won't be too much, but there's more left in the tune to increase TB response in our Street or Performance tunes. We leave a slight delay because some people feel the throttle response is too much. However, you can always get an adjustment for more if you're interested.

Send me a PM with your order number. I'll get your info over to the Bama Team and someone will give you a call with new adjustments!

Shane
Bama Hotline: 888.226.9764 | M-F 9AM-5:30PM EST
WIN A $1500 MMD STYLING PACKAGE
Free Same-Day Shipping!
AMWill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 08:03 PM   #28
Registered Member
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMShaneLesky View Post

OP,

ronnie948 is correct, gears will really help produce the acceleration you're looking for. Also, I wanted to mention that the Bama Team can increase your throttle response, too. It won't be too much, but there's more left in the tune to increase TB response in our Street or Performance tunes. We leave a slight delay because some people feel the throttle response is too much. However, you can always get an adjustment for more if you're interested.

Send me a PM with your order number. I'll get your info over to the Bama Team and someone will give you a call with new adjustments!

Shane
Shane, I would like my Hybrid tune with no delay. Is that possible to achieve with no delay?
Old 01-22-2013, 08:18 PM   #29
Registered Member
Regular

Region: Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011 Kona Blue View Post

Shane, I would like my Hybrid tune with no delay. Is that possible to achieve with no delay?
If he says yes then I want in
alrefire is offline   Reply With Quote

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Mustang Evolution > 4 Cylinder | V6 | Classic Mustangs || Tech and Talk > 2011-2014 V6 Mustang